[2.1] CoC HighBlock Phage (Cyclone Fakener, Spec Throw CoC and more)

About
This build is what I call a "Phage", it is basically many builds in 1: Spectral Throw CoC and Fakener, as well as a many others, the aforementioned being the main ones. All utilize critical strikes. It is also very versatile, and can be used from range and melee distance an everything in between. Because it has only taken dual wield and critical strike chance/multiplier nodes, it can use many skills equally as well as each other.

Important Items/Messages etc are in Bold, and Uniques are in Bold Italics.

Advantages

Spoiler
- Easy to build, only requires a absolute maximum of 40c worth of things, 20c of which is a Tabula Rasa. (People with a larger budget may use any other 6L, though you will only be able to use one of the build's many modes)
- Very quick clear speed.
- 63% block chance (not counting passives), and at best, 14-16% dodge chance.
- Has a few auto skills (CoC w/ Riposte, which is more effective than a lvl 1 Cwdt (no level cap, so more damage or, in the case of curses, AoE/effectiveness, etc), or a lvl 20 CwDT (Activates much more often, and doesn't even require you to take damage) and it activates 2 out of 3 times you get hit)
- Somewhat High maximum move speed.
- Somewhat high life regeneration.
- You can crash your friends' games with it.

Disadvantages

Spoiler
- Small life pool, (2000 life at level 66)
- Uses charges, which make you have to play very quickly.
- Low move speed without frenzy charges.
- You can crash your friends' games with it.
Spoiler
38 people this month
edit: 39 people this month
edit: 40 people this month
edit: 43 (triple crash+instance crash) people this month
edit: 44 people this month
edit: 1 people this month, (its August now, not July, so i reset the counter)

Leveling guide

Spoiler
- Use Fire Trap/Flameblast/Path of Flame Totem until level 38 to level (The finished build won't use these.)
- At level 38, get a Tabula Rasa (or any 6L if you've got swag) and get either:

- Spectral Throw - Cast on Critical Strike - Greater Multiple Projectiles - Arctic Breath - Fireball/Magma Orb - Arc/Ball Lightning
- or, Cyclone - Cast on Critical Strike - Warlord's Mark - Power Charge on Critical - Increased Area of Effect-Discharge for the 2 main modes

Gear Requirements

Spoiler
Base Mode (Spectral Throw CoC)

Weapon Set 1:

- Ungil's Gauche (Legacy for full effectiveness) RGB - Vengeance - Cast on Critical Strike - Shock Nova
- Ungil's Gauche (Legacy for full effectiveness) RRG - Enduring Cry - Increased Duration - Blood Rage

Weapon Set 2:

- Any Weapon(s) - (Space for leveling other gems here)

Armour:

- Any 4L : Spectral Throw - Cast on Critical Strike - Greater Multiple Projectiles - Magma Orb
- Any 5L : Spectral Throw - Cast on Critical Strike - Greater Multiple Projectiles - Magma Orb - Arctic Breath
- Any 6L/Tabula : Spectral Throw - Cast on Critical Strike - Greater Multiple Projectiles - Magma Orb - Arctic Breath - Arc/Ball Lightning

Helm:

- Rat's Nest (Doesn't have to be high rolled, I currently use a 63% crit one) RBBG - Any Gem Here (I'm using a Portal Gem) - Blasphemy - Assassin's Mark - Summon Ice Golem

Gloves

- Maligaro's Virtuosity (Can have absolute shite multiplier rolls, you just need the critical strike chance) RGBG - Fortify (or Blood Magic, if you don't have the Clarity slotted here as well) - Whirling Blades - Clarity -Faster Attacks

Boots

- Darkray Vectors (preferably corrupted with +1 frenzy, but -> optional <-) GRGR - Riposte - Cast on Critical Strike - Increased Duration - Immortal Call

Jewelry

- Any ring (Use high resistance rings)
- Any ring (Use high resistance rings)
- The Anvil

Belt

- Any Belt (I'm using Soulthirst for that sweet soul eater effect)

Flasks

- Seething/Saturated Divine Life Flask of Heat or Rotgut
- Seething Divine Life Flask of Dousing/of Grounding/of Staunching
- Atziri's Promise
- Doedre's Elixir
- Surgeon's Eternal Life Flask of Staunching

A few of the many Build Modes

Spoiler
Fakener (More of a Shitener in this build) [Mode 2]:

Spoiler
- Same as above, but move some gems around to make - Discharge - Increased Area of Effect - Warlord's Mark - Power Charge on Critical - Cast on Critical Strike - Cyclone - in the 6L.

Phys Mode (Melee) [Mode 3a]:

Spoiler
- For those moments when you get a elemental reflect map, but can't be arsed to chaos it, I present the Phys Mode; - Bladefall - Blade Vortex - Ethereal Knives - Increased Area of Effect/Concentrated Effect - Cast on Critical Strike - Cyclone - in the 6L.

Phys Mode; (Ranged) [Mode 3b]:

Spoiler
- Same as above, but for when you can't be arsed to get into melee range either; - Bladefall - Blade Vortex - Ethereal Knives/Increased Area of Effect/Concentrated Effect - Greater Multiple Projectiles - Cast on Critical Strike - Spectral Throw - in the 6L.

Novas (Melee) [Mode 4a]:

Spoiler
- Same as above, but move some gems around to make - Increased Area of Effect/Concentrated Effect/ - Firestorm/Any Other Payload - Ice Nova - Shock Nova - Cast on Critical Strike - Any Fast Attacking Melee Skill; Cyclone Works well - in the 6L.

Novas (Ranged) [Mode 4b]:

Spoiler
- Same as above, but move some gems around to make - Increased Area of Effect/Concentrated Effect/Fire Storm - Ice Nova - Shock Nova - Greater Multiple Projectiles - Cast on Critical Strike - Spectral Throw - in the 6L.

Ice Prison [Mode 5] [BROKEN BY 2.0.0]:

Spoiler
- Same as above, but move some gems around to make - Increased Duration - Power Charge on Critical - Frost Wall - Greater Multiple Projectiles - Cast on Critical Strike - Spectral Throw - in the 6L.

(This does basically no dmg; this mode is purely for entertainment and other such shenanigans. It does, however, make it difficult to move; for allies and enemies, so it has potential as a support class {blocking enemies} or as a trolling mode {trapping people near you})

Ragin' Spirits [Mode 6]:

Spoiler
- Same as above, but move some gems around to make - Added (anything but lightning, as spectral throw with Ungil's Gauche gives lightning damage which will set off Elemental Equilibrium, Chaos recommended for Energy Shield bypass) Damage - Increased Duration - Summon Raging Spirits - Greater Multiple Projectiles - Cast on Critical Strike - Spectral Throw - in the 6L.

Passive Tree

Spoiler
Basic Level 70+ Passive Tree - here

Note About the Passive Tree
Spoiler
- The two jewel slots can have any jewel you want in them. One of mine is a 15% fire resist and 15% increased phys damage one, and the other is a 9% increased damage + 15% increased one handed crit, +8 to all attributes + 7% increased life.

How to Play This Build

Spoiler
- Slot Positions:
Spoiler
- LMB=Whirling Blades
- MMB=Whatever mode you're using, Spectral Throw in mode 1, Cyclone in Mode 2, etc
- RMB=Enduring Cry
- Q=Portal
- W=Summon Ice Golem
- E [I have this bound to M5]=Blood Rage
- R=Assassin's Mark
- T=Clarity

- Playstyle: Mode 1
Spoiler
- You basically want to be always holding shift, Whirling Blades-ing to move.
- During normal combat (groups of enemies), fire a few Spectral Throws into the crowd, but don't target any enemies, just hold shift and point in that general direction.
-If the crown is far away as it should be when you're playing mode 1, point it far away making the spread of throws tighter, and more focused towards the crowd. If you get cornered or just simply get to close, click a little closer, making the spread wider, therefore hitting more enemies, giving the CoC more targets; a wider cone.
- It should activate at least 10 times with 3 throws. As soon as you have let off the last throw (still holding shift at this time), left click to the left/right of the pack to strafe around them. If you have 5+ charges up, this should take barely a second to throw all 3-5 throws and Whirling Blade out of the way of incoming attacks. Once you have Whirling Bladed out of the way, repeat this; firing 3-5 more volleys into the pack.

- Charges;
Spoiler
- You want to be able to gain at least 18 flask charges (to use a Doedre's Elixir [Well, mine is 1% off perfect, so, your's might take more charges per use]) per 14 seconds, or be able to kill at least 4 monsters per 14 seconds and get 2 whirling blade attacks per 14 seconds to get a 62.196072% (rounded to 6 significant digits) chance of getting a power charge and use Enduring Cry at least once per 10 secs.

To see the maths I did to get these results, look below at the bottom. (Note; I did it at 02:32 am, and I don't react well under sleep deprivation)

- 1 on 1 Combat

Spoiler
- In 1v1 combat, if its a Rare:
Spoiler
- Fast Firing Rares;
Spoiler
You can usually tank the dmg. Stand stationary, hold shift and in this case target them. If you find you can't tank it, Whirling Blades out the way, and attack in between movements

- Slow Hitting, High Burst dmg Rares;
Spoiler
Stand stationary and attack during it's charge up time, and once it plays the charge up animation for it's high dmg slow attack, Whirling Blades out and repeat.

- in 1v1 combat if it's a Boss:
Spoiler
- Slow boss like Vaal Oversoul;
Spoiler
When its charging it's attack, target it and fire repeatedly at it. When it attacks, move out of the way. If it does something like Voll's Shield Charge attack thing, just when you see his "about to charge" animation,whirling blades to the side, he will miss you completely. If its a Voll's 360 degree Ground Slam type thing, Whirling Blades away from the target, and attack it during its attack and recovery.

- Fast boss like Piety (Crematorium), or Vaal Oversoul during Laser Phase;
Spoiler
If it does a ranged attack, just Whirling Blades around for a bit, and fire 1-2 Spectral Throws at it very quickly between movements. If they're melee, just repeatedly back away from them with Whirling Blades, and fire quickly. Be sure to back away in a circular pattern in the case that you're in an indoor environment with limited room.

- In 1v1 combat if it's a Rogue Exile:
Spoiler
- Sorry, there are too many for me to all write down, each one I have a different tactic for. You're on your own for this one m8.

- Playstyle: Mode 2
Spoiler
- Just play like a normal fakener. 'Nuff said.

- Playstyle: Mode 3+
Spoiler
- Basically like Mode 1

- Miscellaneous (Mode unspecific);
Spoiler
- To save time when picking up loot, hold shift, then left click on the item. You should be Whirling Blades-ing towards it. Once you have either got really close to it, or have just passed over it, let go of shift, and you will pick it up almost instantly, then immediately press shift again to move away. The reason for this is so that you are moving always; not vulnerable as you would be when standing still, and because you are in constant motion, you can keep your charges up

- Footnote; The Maths (this was done at 02.32 am, so I've probably either done a calculation wrong, or chose a wrong process) [OUTDATED 2.0.0, (but I can't be arsed to work it out again)]

Spoiler
- Frenzy Charges; 25% chance of getting a frenzy charge per kill, so 75%^4 = 32.64% chance of not getting a frenzy charge per 4 kills. This is less that 50%, so it is acceptable.
- Power Charges; currently I'm using a Level 17 Increased Critical Strikes, and a Level 19 Power Charge on Critical.
- That turns out to be 80.92% critical strike chance at full power charges and 64.42% at zero power charges. The chance of getting a power charge on a critical strike is currently 53%.
- Therefore, the chance of getting a power charge on any hit at 5 power charges is 80.92% multiplied by 53% as it is mutually exclusive. That becomes 0.8092 x 0.5300 = 0.428876 as decimals, or 42.8876% chance of getting a power charge on a random hit at full power charges.
- At zero power charges, the critical hit chance for Whirling Blades is 64.42% as stated beforehand. As before, we need to multiply this figure by 53% which comes to 34.1426% chance of getting a power charge on any given hit.
- The average of these two values comes to 38.5151% chance average.
- Putting that as 1 attacks = 38.5151% power charge chance, or 61.4849% chance of not getting a power charge. Attacking twice will make that into 61.4849%^2, which is equal to 37.803929% (FUCK IT, I'm not working out any more decimals than 6 significant digits) chance of not getting a power charge. This chance of not getting a power in 2 attacks, is past the acceptable threshold of 50%.

P.S. Can someone check my maths please, I know I've probably made a mistake here because its 2 am, and I'm out of coffee. So yea, basically, if it's wrong please correct it in the comments, and I'll use my l337 h4xor skillz (ctrl+c & ctrl+v) to correct it (credit will go to you).

- Final Notes; THIS BUILD IS NOT SUPPOSED TO TANK. DO NOT STAND STILL FOR GOD'S SAKE.

- If you want to message me in game, my IGN is RNGesusCanSuckMyVaals, or HowDoIMjolner
Last edited by Gho5t_2312 on Feb 17, 2016, 7:08:26 AM
Hi, sounds cheap and good.

Do you have videos with high level map?
Sorry, I cant really post/upload any videos, my internet is much too slow
Last edited by Gho5t_2312 on Jul 29, 2015, 7:47:54 PM
edit to the guide: Ive added 2 whole new sections; "How to Play This Build" and "Maths", which could you all check please (the "Maths" section, I think the "How to Play This Build" section is ok...), I did it early in the morning and I probably made quite a few mistakes.
Last edited by Gho5t_2312 on Jul 30, 2015, 11:01:18 PM
edit to the guide: I've added another section: "Passive Tree", can't believe I forgot to make that earlier, sorry guys.
I'll try to build around this, but with lioneye's instead of melee. Should work, right?
Sitting in HO spamming alts for 4 hours straight is peak PoE gameplay. Thanks, Chris.
Lioneye as in the bow? Well, most of the crit nodes are dual wield and/or dagger nodes, so the passive tree wont work at all, and without Ungil's Gauche, it kinda defeats the purpose of "HighBlock". The "How to Play this Build" section will also not apply, and Whirling Blades won't work at all either, but the CoC combinations should work fine... Well, at least Mode 1, 3a, 4 and 5 will work. Mode 2 and 3b will not work.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info