2.0 Eruerufu's Reflect dodger - An evasion build featuring Voltaxic Rift and dank memes

Introduction
The goal of this build was to make a character that could pretty much evade the concept of reflect completly, while having great AoE damage and good survivability. There's really only one unique that is mandatory for this build to work, but other uniques will greatly impact the builds viability as well.
Take note though, that this is not really a budget build. It can be done with a budget of ~10ex, but since Voltaxic Rift is mandatory, there's no way to get under that threshold. Other pieces of gear is not too expensive though, depending on your choices. (if you happen to find a Voltaxic Rift, you can make a budget version of the build.)
          Noticable stats         

25k Split Arrow/Chain in a 6L
40k Frenzy in a 5L
70% chance to dodge attacks
40% chance to dodge spells
~10'000 Evasion
~5'000 life

Q/A         

Is it hardcore viable         

Endgame, I would definately say yes. In it's complete form, the build is very tanky, due to the ridiculous amount of dodge-chance it has. with some modification, you could probable get more life out of it without sacrificing too much damage. Reflect is no problem, and the damage is enough to make blue-packs a walk in the park.
Leveling might prove more difficult though. But if you can figure that out, you're set in HC.

How's the single-target damage?         

It feels "okay", I guess. It's not much to write about compared to the multi-target damage, which is phenominal. It's not bad, but it's definately not great.

Pros and Cons         

Pros:
- Very bulky for a bow-character
- Great AoE damage
- Ranged
- Cannot reflect damage
- Can run almost any map-mod, with few modifications.
- Very flexible in gear/links

Cons
- Expensive to gear. (not mjølner-tier expensive, but still not cheap.)
- single target damage is a bit shabby.
- Although tanky, it cannot compare to a melee character. play smart.

What gear do we need?         

First off, the only mandatory item for this build to function, is the Voltaxic Rift.

It gives us decent lightning damage, good attack speed, but most importantly, it converts all our lightning damage to chaos damage, and makes it so that our chaos-damage can shock. Pretty neat. It also gives us a 10% chance to shock, whick is very valuable for us.
We'll go over links later on, but for now we'll focus on the gear itself.

The next item we want is the Static Electricity unique jewel.
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Static_Electricity
It gives us a large amounts of flat lightning damage when placed well on the tree, and synergizes well with our tree in general. I wouldn't call it mandatory, but I'd advice to not skip out on it, just because how good it is.

The next almost essential item we want is the Hungry Abyss unique jewel.http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Hungry_Abyss

This one is tricky though, and I'd recommend skipping on it until you are sure you can afford the tedious process of corrupting 5 of your items in favour of the great survivability it provides. It's up to you choosing just exactly what you wanna corrupt. (please don't vaal your voltaxic rift.)

That's all the most essential uniques you would need for this build to function. Next we'll go over some different choices you can make for other pieces of gear, and what I found to be the most optimal.

Helmet         

My personal choice here was to just go for a decent rare item with life and resists. Getting some evasion on your helmet is not a bad idea either.
There's a couple uniques that might synergize well with the build, like
Ylfeban's Trickeryhttp://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Ylfeban%27s_Trickery,
Devoto's Devotion http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Devoto%27s_Devotion and
Alpha's Howl http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Alpha%27s_Howl, but resists might prove to be scarce as the build progresses, and none of the uniques really felt worth losing the resists a good rare could provide, so I chose to not take that route.

Gloves         

I myself chose to utilize Snake Bite, but there are multiple alternatives here I could see work out just as good, or even better than snake bite. Sure, snake bite gives a lot of benefits, especially considering we usually have 8 frenzy-charges up at all times, but it also brings some disadvantages.
We now need to take all frenzy-duration nodes on the tree, and that's still only give us around 7 seconds duration when we have 8 charges up.
On the positive side, it gives a great boost to accuracy and attack speed, and a 20% damage increase in form of posion degen. (this might sound great, but it's 20% of the initial hit over a span of 2 seconds, and it doesn't stack. Thus, it's pretty much neglectible.) It also has a decent life-roll and decent evasion.
Some other choices which might prove better than snakebite would be Thunderfist
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Thunderfist
(in standard, legacy would be far preferable), Surgebinders
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Surgebinders
or just simply a rare pair of gloves with life-leech and resists on it.

Chest and Boots         

In my eyes, the optimal chest for this build is the Hyrri's Ire.

This item was pretty hard to get in standard actually, but is well worth it for this build, depending on what choices you make with other gear. It synergizes well with my other item of choice, Darkray Vectors.
Another good choice for boots would be Atziri's step
which also synergizes well with Hyrri's Ire, as well as providing us with great evasion and a life-roll. However, should you choose to not go the dodge-route, I'd recommend just picking up a pair of rare boots with movement-speed and resists, and a rare chest with high evasion. (or just go Lightning Coil like the rest of the world.)

Rings and amulet         

This is your prime vaal-gear, thus making it hard to get too expensive gear on these slots. I just went for some rare jewelry with life/resists/attributes and flat lightning damage. Berek's Griphttp://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Berek%27s_Grip
is an excellent choice here as well, as it basicly provides you with all the mana-leech you would need, although a little inconsistent, as well as great flat lightning damage. It is, however, really expensive, and I would only recommend it if you really can afford it. Whatever your choices is here, make sure you get enough resists and attributes to sustain yourself.

Belt         

A good rare belt was what I found to be my best option, as it provides the strenght and resists I needed, as well as life.
You could go the risky route and use Maligaro's Restraint for a great damage-boosts, but it of course, come with some (a lot of) risk.
Immortal flesh is another interesting unique that might be a good option, as it provides some additional defence against physical damage as well as a lot of life and life-regen, giving you -5% max resists. (But I mean, who cares about elemental damage when physical damage is so much more dangerous.)

Quiver         

I use a rare quiver for providing resists, life, and some life-leech, but if you're not already lacking in resists, you could go the expensive route and get a drillneck and do Tornado-shot or Split arrow w/ pierce instead of Split-arrow/chain. Can't recommend any of the other uniques though. (ggg please add some new quivers.)

Links and setups         

Split Arrow         

First of, for our main attack, which will be Split Arrow, there are a couple support-gems that are essential for the build to function well.
1L: Split Arrow (our main AoE attack-skill)
2L: Chain
3L: Added Lightning Damage (This gem alone is like 30% of our total lightning damage)
4L: Blood Magic/Mana Leech (used to sustain our mana-cost)
5L: Weapon Elemental Damage (huge damage-boost)
6L: Faster Attacks/Added Cold Damage/Added Chaos Damage/Slower Projectiles
(Personally I went for faster attacks because I like the feel of attacking fast, but Slower projectiles synergizes well with Snakebite due to it simply doing more damage, thus making the posion more noticable rather than something completly neglectible. Same story with Added Cold Damage and Added Chaos Damge. Added Cold Damage is the better damage-increase compared to Added Chaos, but the Cold Damage can be reflected, unlike the chaos-damage.)

frenzy         

Frenzy is our single-targe skill, but it also serves another function. if we ever is about to run out of frenzy-charges, we can just use frenzy to help us sustain it without relying on blood rage's 25% chance to gain it.
1L: Frenzy
2L: Added Lightning Damage
3L: Blood Magic/Mana Leech
4L: Weapon Elemental Damage
5L-6L: Faster Attacks/Life Leech/Slower Projectiles/Added Cold Damage/Added Chaos Damage

Same story as with Split Arrow, only with the addition of Life-leech. Life-leech might serve important against single-target, where the initial life-leech from gear/blood rage/tree won't prove effective enough for your needs.

Curse         

There is a multitude of ways you can do this, but I decided to use Herald of Thunder to apply Warlord's Mark by linking Herald of thunder to Curse on Hit and Warlord's Mark.
Warlord's Mark gives us both life and mana leech, although not as consistent when linked with Herald of thunder, as well as granting endurance charges, which are relatively simple to uphold at all times. It also makes it easier to stun, which is a big plus.

There is a couple good alternatives though. you could use Poacher's Mark, which gives us better accuracy as well as life gained on hit, which works really well with split arrow/chain, as well as making it even easier to sustain frenzy-charges thanks to it's frenzy charge on kill bonus.

Conductivity is another decent choice. We benefit in no way from the resistance-effect of it, but it does grant additional chance to shock, which is useful.

Manually cursing is also an option, but that's all up to you.

Auras and Heralds         

First of, Wrath. This is the most important Aura, as it gives a huge boost to our flat lightning damage. Wrath reserves 50% of our mana-pool, so we have another 50% to play with.
Herald of thunder is another great choice, as it gives us a decent boost to flat lightning damage, and we're able to consistently keep it up thanks to out high shock-chance.
The remaining pool of 25% is more free game though. There's not enough mana to reserve another aura, and the remaining heralds can be questionably usefull. Herald of ice provides us with some damage-boost, but it's not huge, and can also be reflected. (almost neglectible reflect though.) Herald of Ash's added fire-damage does little to nothing, but we do benefit from it's overkill damage, which can prove useful. If you do choose to use mana-leech instead of blood-magic, you can't reserve the rest of the pool either, as you'll need the remaining mana to cast your skills.
There is also the possibility to grab some aura-nodes/run Alpha's Howl and pick up an additional aura, like a purity of ice/fire/lightning or vitality, if you feel the need to do so.

Finalizing the build         

In the possibility that you have an unlimited budget and just want to make the strongest possible setup, here is the optimal choices I've made to the Hyrri's Ire/Darkray version to make it as good as possible.

- First of, get a pair of Thunderfist legacy gloves. this in itself is a huge damage-buff. (corrupt +1 level of gems to it as well because why the hell not?)
- Next, get a shitload of Darkray Vectors and corrupt +1 Frenzy Charge or 4% chance to dodge attacks Both of these have their pros and cons.
Get your god-tier amulet, and corrupt +1 Frenzy Charge onto it. If you can't do that, just settle for +1 additional curse or Weapon Elemental Damage. 5% Movement speed and +1 max resists is tier 2.
- This goes without saying, but get a 6L Voltaxic Rift and 6L Hyrri's Ire.
- Next, corrupt +1 Endurance charge on your belt. no substitutes is acceptible. (maybe just stick with life though)
- Get your godly rings out, corrupt them with either Added Chaos Damage or Weapon Elemental Damage.
- There's no reason to not give yourself an additional arroy mate. corrupt your quiver!
- And while you're at it, corrupt your Voltaxic Rift as well, and get a total of 3 arrows. Then, drop split arrow and do Tornado shot instead.
- Did you know that some enemies can leech life from you? Not anymore! Corrupt you helmet, don't get leeched!
- Finally, corrupt your chest and pray to the gods that you get +1 max res or +1 to level of gems
Horrible content-creator and memelord.
Last edited by Erueruefu on Jul 31, 2015, 9:31:38 PM
Hi there,
Very nice and detailed guide and impressive original banner, thanks for posting it.

I ran a voltaxic build in 1.3 and it was actually totally different to yours. I was using Alpha's howl helm with these

And my passive tree looked like this:

As you can see I invested heavily into aura nodes, elemental damage, inner force (rip) and even chaos damage nodes. iirc tooltip damage was around 9k in a 5L with TS + GMP so it wasn't that impressive but considering its all choas damage it cleared like crazy, albeit a glass canon build. For single-target I used vaal stormcall - conc - echo which was always insane to see.

Just curious to see how different yours is as its heavily invested into projectile damage nodes and not into auras/elemental damage very much. That said, i'm sure this builds gotten stronger in 2.0 so I'll be interested to see any changes you make to the build!

Ign: Shaavu
Last edited by shaazu on Jul 30, 2015, 11:43:08 PM
Thanks for the reply dude.

But yeah, I can go into a bit of what made Voltaxic much better/more attractive since the release of 2.0.
First off, the addition of Jewels like Static Electricity and Hungry Abyss, which almost seemed like it was made purely for Voltaxic in mind, were some of the biggests buffs. Stat-Ele basicly granted 1-110/120 additional base lightning damage, which is pretty much 1/3 of the base-damage of voltaxic rift, only costing a couple nodes extra. (we basicly pick up the dexterity nodes even without the jewel as well)
Hungry abyss is such an incredible survival-buff, considering we have so much leech, from blood-rage, items and skill-tree.
Another great thing, particularly for the less wealthy population, is that voltaxic rift actually became more common, thus making it easier to obtain, cheaper. (unfortunately for me though, as I bought it before knowing this.)
The most important change that really sealed the deal for me was the change to frenzy-charges, now granting 4% more damage and 4% increased attack speed instead of just 5% attack speed. This basicly resulted in a 30% increase in output-damage compared to the same build in 1.3, and that's just from the frenzy-charge change alone.

Regarding changes to my build, first off, I have found playing with this low amount of frenzy-charge duration to be tedious (snakebite's 10% reduced duration per frenzy), and will probably switch over to thunderfist, perferrably a legacy-one if I can afford it. I'll probably make some adjustments to the OP in a couple days when I've progressed the character a little.
Last edited by Erueruefu on Jul 31, 2015, 11:52:13 AM
Hey there, awesome build! I like the way you explained all of the choiches that fit it. I'm planning on starting a new char and go for it, so I have a question: would it work with Lightning Arrow as well? I never liked Split Arrow that much, so I wanted to check if there were alternatives to it (besides Tornado Shot).
Also, I'll use Alpha's Howl and I'll try to go with Arctic Armour. If you have any suggestions on that, feel free to tell me.

Thank you in advance for your time :)
"
Hey there, awesome build! I like the way you explained all of the choiches that fit it. I'm planning on starting a new char and go for it, so I have a question: would it work with Lightning Arrow as well? I never liked Split Arrow that much, so I wanted to check if there were alternatives to it (besides Tornado Shot).
Also, I'll use Alpha's Howl and I'll try to go with Arctic Armour. If you have any suggestions on that, feel free to tell me.

Thank you in advance for your time :)

Sorry, haven't been quite updated with the thread after ripping my quiver to science and kinda destroying the character.
I haven't actually tried working around lightning arrow with it just because of how good split arrow is atm. I can't see why it wouldn't work, so I say go for it. It'll probably do a bit less damage on avarage though.
If you're using alpha's howl, It probably won't be a terrible idea to pick up some aura-nodes too maybe fit an additional aura in there.
Anyway, sorry for the late response. good luck.
Hi there,

nice guide! I'm playing a crit Ice Shot build in Tempest atm and debating to go for a voltaxic. I'm unsure though whether it is worth losing the utility of Ice shot (freezing/chilling entire screen) if I don't have any issues with reflect anyway (thanks to lgoh gem, it is truly OP with chain builds)?

In any case, I'd like to ask if you think my current tree could be viable for voltaxic without spending too many regrets? Contrary to popular meta, I'm pushing Ice Shot via elemental nodes and supports mostly, instead of scaling phys.

Here's my planned endgame tree (I'm a shadow):
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYARXyXl_v1tDjlGYw2VUth4iaVFr8DHh9BBiO1SG1s8-o2PSoL7LCdqnBSjAtirGyMuXy0xQzywuylywW1jb9RR9Qj51QwfDfUPs8wcST9jX3I3H8r7T-95t2o_94j9sFJOdRLeKOKTZL-HXb3OkLuDjH673qgn_aj034VIABeJJ19dd0NLOktgxmOYlr-uluvAO6Gsxm07YMhdg2NKk2-pwguhs6HdkfiPyd1y2VNwTPjnyLiSsi3tupivTZKfaQ5bqqNfkd-tfJDMYTZNZLDM9rB_o_YvVoaLlN07U3j_grTbwUtplfyRXrvOuE=

And gear:
Spoiler

Selfbuffed damage is sitting at 13k GMP chain atm. No problem with single reflect monsters, and I can even do phys reflect maps (haven't tried ele reflect but probably not).
Can attest to it being viable and strong in HC, currently 92 in tempest.

Gear:
Spoiler

My build is somewhat similar to yours, although I went for a bit more defensive build with less emphasis on dodge. I also didnt go for leech, but instead got myself some mana on hit from jewels. This works out REALLY well.

The biggest issue, other than survivability, is the single target. I'm trying to figure out how to solve this, as it's currently a bit lackluster.
Drop frenzy and pick up barrage. It completely fixes single target

Level 89 and still going
Doing my own version of this, went for an extra Static Electricity instead of heading down to Vitality void. Respecced my Lioneyes ranger after getting all the pieces, doing well even with low level auras. Using tornado shot instead of split arrow as I find it kills the warbands packs faster.

Gear:

Last edited by mardukthewolf on Aug 14, 2015, 10:01:54 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info