[2.0] 1h (mace) + Shield ice crash marauder, auto end charges / ic combo is back, extreme low budget

Preface: This build can be done both in HC and SC. I tend to build as if I was playing HC, which is what I used to do before my PC broke down. Since I can barely run PoE with playable fps anymore, I'm in SC leagues now. However, as you will see, this can be done easily in HC.

So, when I started Warbands, I looked through for a RT 1h+shield ice crash build and could find nothing. Oh, there are a few max block ones around, but I didn't want to base a build around purchasing Aegis+Stone+RBStrides(+BoR maybe - and besides, I have done this in SC before). And I didn't want crit either - I wanted something straight and simple which wouldn't cost more than 10-15 chaos overall. Since most people were playing 2h ice crash, I could find nothing. So I had to make my own, and it seems to be very successful (surprisingly - I tend to suck at building from scratch), so I'm going to share it here in case somebody wants to use it as a template. I also use some mechanics which I haven't really seen anyone else (in streams or in game) use, which i think could be found useful.

I'm currently level 81, so basically the build just got fully fleshed out, and from here on I'm walking the area of luxury points. Some of you might say that it's a low level to share a build, but honestly, there's nothing important missing, so it's pretty much done and only going to get stronger with more dps and HP from here on. It's also meant to be a cheap build, not some mega-faceroll lvl 100 mirror gear build, so it's fine as it is.

Let's see some screenshots first:

Offense (Hatred+HoA+FGolem up, no rallying cry or blood rage):

Spoiler

I have seen this go as far up as 21k - ish with Blood rage + Frenzy charges + a good rallying cry.

Defense:

Spoiler

Links:

Spoiler
Chest: Ice Crash + Melee Phys + WED + Inc AoE + Added Fire (+ Faster Attacks)
WED+Added Fire gives slightly more DPS than WED+FA, so I choose that. It's also easier on the mana and slightly easier to control due to attacking slower. One interesting interaction I'd like to mention is that Inc AoE is super important, because it makes the inner ice crash circle bigger. So essentially, you not only hit more mobs (like you would normally), but you also hit them HARDER, so Inc AoE doubly boosts your clear speed when compared to other skills which just hit more mobs. That's why it takes priority as the 4th link (although affording a 5link is easy)

Weapon: Leap Slam + FA + Fortify, pretty straight forward

Gloves and Boots don't even need to be linked, as they house gems that aren't supported by anything : Summon Flame Golem, Riposte, Rallying Cry, Enduring Cry, Hatred, HoA, Tempest Shield and Blood Rage. I could probably drop Riposte or Enduring Cry, and give some of my buffs increased duration, and I'm still contemplating what supports might be worth it here. It works as it is though, so I'm not too fussed.

Now we come to the two (IMO) interesting slots:

Helm: Reckoning + Vengeance + LGoH/Stun + Endurance Charge on Melee Stun
I don't think I'm the only one who has thought of this, but I'm certainly the only one I've seen USING it. This auto - generates endurance charges much more often than CWDT+EC did, with the catch (of course) that it's only useable by Melee specs. You can replace LGoH with Stun if you don't get enough charges (I do, so I use LGoH). So, now that we automatically have Endurance charges up almost all the time, we can use...

Shield: CWDT + Warlord's Mark + Immortal Call

Warlord's Mark fits so perfectly, it's a waste not to use it. More Endurance charges, more stuns = even MORE endurance charges, a lot of Life and Mana Leech which were nerfed (I haven't noticed thanks to this setup)... it's really the perfect curse for a melee build, but the problem always was that you don't want to have to cast it manually. Well, this solves that.

Immortal Call is here because I haven't invested into Endurance charges. If I did, I would probably run around with IC unlinked and 6/7 endurance charges, and cast it manually for massive immortal calls when necessary. However, since I have max 3 charges, auto call usually protects me from more damage than manual.

Tree, Leveling and Bandits:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwEAAecEswUtBjkM9w3NFCAUTRT2GJEaOBo-GlUblxzOIWAnLymlK1AvzDJONug53TrYOzs8BT0PPfxAoEPnR35NRlBHUWBR5lcNWGNfP2CRYSFi7GVNZ1ho8nKpdO108Xasd1N5OXrvfEt8u3zZfuKCB4TZhO-GO4ZghymMz5BVlnSexZ7Nn8uiAKcwqZWsr62Nr2yvp7yfvTa-p8BmwL_BgsS4xPbFisbYz37SIdX42WHaweRR5K3p1eoY7w7vfPAf8kHzBvZI9zL7qvxL_lQ=

This is the lvl 80 version of the tree. I want to mention a few things here.

Close to all 3 endurance charges and 1 frenzy charge. I personally don't like investing into charges because of their fairly crappy performance early on when not fighting large packs. However, charges are VERY, VERY STRONG. With 6 endurance charges and 4 frenzy charges, you would be almost immortal while dealing tons of damage. It's a personal choice of playstyle that I don't like. If you do like it, then I STRONGLY suggest picking the charges up over some of the damage or life. And yes, I did design the tree so that it passes right next to charges on purpose in case I do decide to pick them up at high levels, where they will make a much bigger difference.

Mana nodes (revelry, mana flows, righteous decree) are essentially DPS nodes. You see, ice crash is hard to sustain. This means you will either have to use the blood magic keystone or the gem. Both are valid options. However, sustaining off mana gives more dps. Let me explain.

With the blood magic keystone, you will have to drop at least Hatred. With HoA reserved on 12.5% of your life, even accounting for the superb increased life nodes behind the BM keystone, you will probably have less life than when you are unreserved without the cluster. You also won't have Hatred, which is a pretty massive DPS boost. However, you can have only damage supports on your five link, which kinda makes up for that.

With the BM gem, you can have Hatred and HoA, but you'll be losing one support Gem slot, which will be either Added Fire or Increased AoE. Both of those are very important. So essentially, the two BM options are equivalent in terms of DPS, and quite close in terms of tankiness.

Being able to sustain off mana is by far the best. You get all the damage supports, you get both reservation buffs, and you have no trouble with your other buffs. So, investing into mana means you are essentially investing into a massive DPS boost. To sustain mana, you will need rallying cry, LGoH from revelry, Life leech on one piece of gear, and a decent mana pool. One interesting option I want to explore is eventually speccing into MoM once I have a very good mana regen, turning that investment into a defensive boost as well. But that is something for later levels.

Projected higher level version of the tree, with damage, life and armor nodes as well as charges filled out:

For leveling, I actually went to the templar area first. It worked fine, but I do think filling out the Duelist area might have been better, for the strong shield+dps nodes and IR. Nothing specific, I just filled out nodes as I went along. Pre-28 (when you get ice crash) I personally used Static Strike. Molten Strike should also be a good option, maybe with Ground Slam if you don't like it as an AoE clearing skill. I also used a Carnage Heart for leveling. I don't know why that item has been forgotten - it used to go for 1 ex back when I started - but the fact that you can buy one for an alch these days means leveling on a stat hungry build with high life like this one gets a ton easier.

My choice for Bandit rewards was Oak-Oak-Kill All. You can also get a charge of your choice in Merciless if you wish to do so. Moreover, if you can afford insane jewels, you can go for the passive in Cruel as well. However, I have tried to make this Jewel-less as I felt like I wouldn't be able to afford amazing jewels.

Gear:
Spoiler

As you can see, there is nothing special here. The most expensive thing in here is the sceptre and that cost me 3 chaos + 2chaos for the mastercraft - for a 270+ dps mace, not counting the inc ele either.

I'll go through them one buy one to point out what's important in each slot:

Weapon: a good 1handed mace is stupidly cheap in Warbands these days. I don't even know why you can buy 250+ dps maces for 5c or less, but whatever, suits me I guess. Axe is also doable with a few tree adjustments, and sword should be as well (that would be a waste though since it's RT), but I choose mace because the notables also give other things that fit the build well, like stun threshold reduction, AoE, armor and life leech.

Shield: Your most important armor slot. A 1k armor shield gives me 6k armor due to the ridiculous scaling of the shield defense + armor nodes. 1k+ armor required, 30+ block is the next most important stat, life/rez can be gotten elsewhere but don't hurt. This one cost me 1 or 2c, don't remember. Note: Evasion shields also work beautifully since they have even higher flat eva (which is converted) and block, but they require massive amounts of dexterity which is hard to get. Maybe at the high 90s, which would be great since it'd probably give like 3k armor more. If you happen to be able to wear a 200+ dex req shield for whatever reason, by all means go for a 1.8k evasion 31 block or something, it would be massive compared to this.

Chest: Bought a 5link white sun plate early on (lvl 40s i think), later rolled with alts until i got high life + 1 rez, regaled (lucky STR roll for more life, but whatever is fine), put another resist on it, and we're done. I was running around with it white up till 70+ though, had totally forgotten it wasn't rolled. If you do the rolling, this will cost about 4-5c. 1-2c otherwise.

Boots: 25-30 movespeed, and if you can find some with life and rez on them, all the better. Cost me like 1 alch.

Gloves: I use gloves as a utility DPS slot. Flat phys, +AS, high Life was what I looked for. Put on mana leech later since I'm now trying to sustain off mana. The gloves cost me a fusing, the mana leech is 2c. Generally should cost less than 3c.

Helm: High life + resistance patching slot. Cost me an alch. High level base will also give you decent armor, mine is 600+ flat, and it scales quite well.

Belt: Rustic sash, high life + resistance patching here as well. Anything else is a bonus.

Rings & Amulet: I get a lot of my stat requirements here, along with Life, Resistances or some phys damage. I think I bought the amu for 1 alch and the rings are self found. Don't be afraid to craft Int or Dex on open suffixes if you need them. I could probably buy better ones extremely cheaply, but I can't even be bothered to look for some, as these work just fine.

My flasks are just a laughing matter, I haven't even bothered to roll them. It takes absolutely BRUTAL map mods for me to even press my flask keys. I will do that eventually I guess. One thing I'd like to note is that I use a Hybrid Flask in the last slot for the cases where I might need some mana fast. Eventually I'm going to be using 1 instant divine, 1 high heal eternal, 1 jade+1granite with increased armour rolled on both for the IR doubledip, and the hybrid. It's just that rolling flasks is a chore in this game.

Conclusion: Other than the fact that this build is really strong (5.4k life, 10k armor + endurance charges, high DPS for a super low cost) I've also had tons of fun with it. It's actually been a while since I've enjoyed any build as much. And I'm really happy that a melee build feels so good and so strong and clears so fast.

Technically, you COULD invest more currency into this. You could purchase items with super good rolls on them and increase the survivability and damage. However, I think the selling point is that they can be achieved so cheaply. If I wanted to invest 5 exa into this build, I would probably start Scion and go for max block + spell block and insane jewels. But there's little reason to do that. That said, I will eventually try to buy rare gear with even better stats, but I don't think I'll ever walk outside the 2-3 exalt budget.

I'd like to showcase some videos of higher maps or something, but unfortunately, as I said, I can barely play with decent FPS, and even if I COULD record, I can't even sustain maps above 74-75. I can tell you that I only have trouble with the most insane ones of those, but that doesn't say much.

Update: Skilltree fixed. If anything ever breaks again, send me a PM and I'll fix it asap. I'll try to check this thread more often as well.
Still waiting for GGG to admit that they made mistakes and actually work on fixing them.

You'll find me when pigs start flying.
Last edited by PrimordialDarkness on Sep 19, 2015, 8:03:23 AM
Nice build.

Will definitely be using trying this one ty!

But question: Why not get skull crashing?
The rest of the 'end-game' content will be available along with a heap of new stuff when the game launches in a few months time. From what I've seen it's going to be awesome. - Michael_GGG
Last edited by tobes111 on Jul 26, 2015, 7:14:54 AM
"
tobes111 wrote:
Nice build.

Will definitely be using trying this one ty!

But question: Why not get skull crashing?

I consider it kind of a luxury node, I will be going for Skull Cracking in the next few levels but it doesn't make as big of a difference as Bone Breaker, Blunt Instrument or Bloody Bludgeon. The reason for that is that the only stuns you really need are the ones that generate endurance charges, as ice crash doesn't stun as much as a Ground Slam build due to the sceptre, the damage conversion and ofc the innate skill stun threshold reduction in GS.

There's nothing wrong with the node, and I will get it as I said, i just don't think it'd be as big of a dps boost as the ones I chose would be. You can definitely prioritise it though.

Perhaps I should provide a projected build that would show that.

Edit: went ahead and did that, along with some levelling info.
Still waiting for GGG to admit that they made mistakes and actually work on fixing them.

Last edited by PrimordialDarkness on Jul 26, 2015, 7:50:31 AM
what skill would you recommend using to level with until you hit 28 to use ice crash?
So been getting rekt with 2 hand ice crash a couple time and ,I think this may be a really good build to try out. Thanks for the ideas I will be trying something similar asap.
"
themightysurt wrote:
what skill would you recommend using to level with until you hit 28 to use ice crash?

I think I used Static Strike. Ground Slam with Molten Strike should also work. I'll add that to the leveling info, thanks for the heads up.

"
"
themightysurt wrote:

I think I used Static Strike. Ground Slam with Molten Strike should also work. I'll add that to the leveling info, thanks for the heads up.

ahh i see. i dont use melee that often so i wasn't totally sure what was best. thanks alot!
I was wondering what I should do about the bandits. Would you mind telling me?
"
xFrozenAngel wrote:

I'm not OP, but I would go Oak/Oak/Oak or Kraityn, depending on whether you want the end charge or frenzy charge.
"
xFrozenAngel wrote:

Somebody PM'd me about bandits in game, so they have been added under the passive tree section. I totally forgot. But yeah, Oak-Oak-All/Oak/Krait depending on if you want 1 extra frenzy/endurance charge or not.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info