[2.0] Cold Dead Hands and making RichMoney proud. Cameria's Maul Magic Find Ice Crash

Update 2: It looks reasonable that I may be able to fix this build guide up at the very least after finals this semester. I realized that this type of magic finding may not be efficient compared to fire totems or poison arrow but recognized that this is attempting to do crowd control with the rarity freeze that not many other builds can do. So expect that concept to be reflected in my updated guide. More than likely based on time constraints, I will be releasing the updated guide on or around Christmas. As such I decided that a rename will be in order.

Update:Sorry everyone who has been commenting since I created this. Between wanting to have some time to simply play the multitude of builds I like to try, being the only person in the research lab I work at all summer after I got back from vacation, moving apartments, Fallout 4 hype and Windows 10 temporarily killing my computer's ability to play any games that required a launcher, I had all but forgotten that I made this. With classes starting next week I don't know if I'll ever get to touch this build guide in the near future. To anybody who wants to feel free to expand on the idea, referencing back to this would make me happy but not necessary. I did find that I was liking Glacial Hammer+ Melee Splash better when I realized the higher freeze value (I almost forgot the skill even existed).
I was really excited to make the guide but being a casual player and real life getting in the way just isn't going to let that happen without leaving everybody wondering what changes would be best for months at a time.

This is my first build guide and I am creating it while on vacation and currently on my phone. I will be updating what I can when I can.

I wanted to make this build to get a change of pace from typical magic find builds which are all attack from a distance and hide. Obviously Cameria's Maul is the only option for a weapon with its rarity on frozen kill.

But crit chance sucks with gavels so that was a no go. It would also be hard to stack high cold damage and be full MF for reliable freezes. So passive freeze and Ice Bite, Hypothermia and Frostbite it is.

So far, I believe dual Cameria's is great for solo or smaller groups while wheel of the stormsail is what to go with for parties. Dual Cameria's may be okay for group bossing but with the testing I've had so far, it could be tricky to consistently freeze with a group where the constant rarity on cull from stormsail would be safer as a group culler and one Cameria would be bonus rarity you don't get with flame totems or other ranged MF builds.

Gear Choices

Weapon(s)

Obviously at least one necessary for the build. Dual wield for solo play.

Shield

When grouping, the only rarity shield is required for full mfing. Saffell's Frame or any other common option can be a replacer if full magic find is not the goal and need more defense.

Body

You could possibly change this build to be low life with Shavronne's and use Wondertraps but it isn't my preference so I am not attempting to do so. Use a rare armour or armour/evasion hybrid until you can afford Greed's.

Gloves

Aurseize for magic find in groups, worth the loss of rarity when soloing or in small groups where you can be left to kill the frozen enemies with Southbound. Great damage boost when you have so little and cold damage can't go wrong here.

Boots

Use rare Rarity or legacy IIR/IIQ boots if you want to get more resists/life.

Belt

Enough said. Move on.

Jewelry

Any combination of Andvarius and Legacy Jewelry is up for grabs for your budget. Ventor's Gamble obviously BiS with good rolls. Use resist rings if needed when solo.

Distillate

Again, enough said.

Passive Tree
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAAAv4DlgQHBLMF-QceC2EOSA-rEQ8RLRGWFfAWvxdUGFYZiho4HwIkiyaVJy8y0TWSN4E6WDrYOyg8LUGHQsNFR0lRS1dMLVKyU9RVS1XGXfJfsGBDYeJmVGh0aPJuPW-ecYVyD3yDgpuDCYNfg8yD24P3hMWFe4w2jYKP-pBVlG-UoJUulwabtZ8BogCnCKyYr2yxQrc-voDAZsDjwzrGrspK0eTYTdi92mLfhOFz41bk6-vu7BjsOO0g8B_w1fGz8xH5Y_no_go=?accountName=PleiadesBlackstar&characterName=GoingWithTheTide

Like I said at the top, this is my first self created build. I have no idea if any other class or tree options are more efficient as a casual player. Input would be appreciated. Jewel slots are amazing to add cold damage, freeze chance, resists, missing stats, etc. Hence I opted for Scion

Gems

5l(6l) Ice Crash-Item Rarity-Item Quantity-Ice Bite-Culling Stike (If partying)/ Hypothermia (Solo)-(Added Cold, Culling Strike, Hypothermia, Melee Physical Damage, etc depending on what you are already using in 5l and what your resource management is at if it can handle mana multiplier of melee physical or increased aoe or so.

All other Gem choices I am still working on. I will update once I figure out best choices. So far Frostbite Curse is obvious choice. A CWDT setup is in the works and Blood Rage seems like a good option to use Distillate

Character Stats

1.7 k Ice Crash without Frenzy Charges in MF gear 2+k with southbound.
3.2 k Life with Aurseize
3.4 k Life with Southbound
Positive resists roughly 30+ (Varies depending on your comfort level with less than capped resists solo and so on)

Any input is appreciated as I have no experience with theorycrafting before now. I'm going to level gems and see how things take it. I will not be posting videos as I play on a potato Laptop. Thank you for visiting.
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"
Last edited by PleiadesBlackstar on Oct 29, 2015, 12:22:28 PM
here is the skill tree i am using

Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwQAAAYFLQW1Bx4NjQ3RDkgRgRGWEdUUdRXsFfYWvxjbIWAj9iT9JpUppSoLMHw2PT7PQKBDMUd-SQ9JUUp9TZJRR1VLVYVW-leXWhpbr13yYEFh4mJ5YqxjQ2NwY6dlTWegbIxtbHBScFZw1XTtdPF313rvhNmHdonTivCMC4w2jX2Nv5AblS6aE5stnaqjiqXLpn-xs7VIuR25fL02vea-p8MzypDXLdhg2sHb1N1G45_nVOd06NbpRuyw7UHuDvDV8-r_3g==

i am using the gravel in my off hand and a high dps dagger in my main hand .Using ice crash as well

but the thing that i am concerned is weather the off hand iir stats(considering they are frozen) affect the main hand as ice crash attacks with only the main hand.

would appreciate if you could clarify this for me
the IIR is global as long as frozen so yes IIR still takes effect
How many you have Item Rarity & Quantity? you kill dominus easy?
Main idea - 5% to freeze on tree is good, but jewels can roll 3%.
If you need to reach Shadow's 5% freeze for 10 points, better grab 2 jewel slots for 6% freeze (and more damage)
After some tweaking came up with this(spent 6 more points to show solidified tree with its advantages):

Summary:
Defence
6% less life, 1% less regen
20% more chaos resist
5 more jewels

Damage:
15% chance to Freeze enemies (+10*3 from jewels=45%) (your tree has 35% +5*3= 50% freeze,5% against chilled)
46% increased Attack Speed (your tree 40% ias)
32% increased Area of Effect radius - bonus for trash cleaning

91% increased Cold Damage (Your 60%)
34% increased Elemental Damage (your 60)
20% increased Area Damage (your - zero)
14% increased melee damage (your - 26%)
24% increased Elemental Damage with Weapons (your have 25% increased against frozen, but it doesn't always work)

This tree has more reliable damage, more cold damage and 5 more jewels to roll even more damage.

The rest of the points can go into Duelist's area - weapon range, life, attack speed.
Last edited by Gremlion on Aug 4, 2015, 11:51:58 AM
Tried the build out and I'm having a hard time staying alive. Maybe it's the lack of resists and the reduction of resists with the gear. I dunno. Damage seems a little weak too, even with stacking the cold damage. Anyone have any pointers?
Started this in Warbands.
With 5l and level 30 already surpass 900 dps.
To get substantial damage buff, use Hatred and herald of ash, later replace with q herald of ice for its global cold damage buff.
I plan to use Alpha howl Purity of elements+herald of ice+hatred+enlighten to fight lack of resists.
Also, jewels.
I think that author should mention
Freeze mine+culling strike+IIR as easy culling skill, as it always freezes and doesn't need to charge vaal cold snap.

Overall impression - it is fun idea which simply doesn't work.
Cameria isn't end-game viable.
Cameria is a 150pdps 30edps weapon.
Dual wielding them - 180pdps 33edps.

That thing gives better dps as level 48 item.
Highlevel maces reach 500+ dps
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1316914
Kraken Crack Behemoth Mace
DPS pDPS eDPS
504.9 395.1 109.8

If you take similar weapon in main hand and cameria with offhand - you can clear maps 2-3 times faster.
But, why use cameria in offhand when you can replace it with Wheel of the Stormsail for more block with the same 40IIR?
No longer hindered by needing to do frozen kills we can drop southbound, it opens slot for gloves with better damage potential.
Also, we can spec out from chance to freeze nodes for better damage and tankiness.

After going this path, we will have generic Ice crash build, which clears maps like 5-10 times faster with the downside of lacking 40IIR
Updated original post. I don't think I can manage keeping this going on top of everything else without going back to my insomniac routine. Feel free to expand on this in your own guide.
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info