[Fan Art] The Warden

I wanted to express how much I love Path of Exile.

So I'm sharing this with you guys ! A picture full of love ! Totally !

Full Size:

Spoiler

If you're interested, I made a making of video you can find here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyIe9yAKYOY

I hope you will like it :)

thats really good mate. Watching the video is cool as well, seeing how you work. I like the going in rough and then adding, cutting, adding, cutting with successively more fine rough marks to build up a really nice complexity. Working with white onto black I like too, it reminds me a thing where you can paint an entire page with black ink and then dip an art pen or a paint brush into diluted bleech rather than ink or paint then you sort backwards in a way starting with black and sketching light into darkness rather than sketching darkness into a page of flat light.

Is that a vector image you made in the background at the start? I tend to have a layer of vectors somewhere in the initial workings that I sketch over.
It's like an old school woodcut print! Very cool look. Like it :)
Great work. Very Frank Miller like.
Hi ! I was out for the week end but I can answer now :)

To Snorkle_uk: Thanks a lot ! About the technique, I wanted something rough and I wanted something dark because brutus is himself rough and dark. That's why I painted this way !
I didn't know about the bleach painting, to be fair, I am more a digital painter. But I like clever ways to getting things done so I will check this out for my own knowledge :)

Now for your question, I am not the greatest with perspectives. I know them, I am familiar with different types of perspectives but when I am lazy, if I want a quick preview of my picture with a flawless perspective in very little time, I'm doing a quick scene in 3D ! That's what you saw: a 3D render picture to help me getting a general idea of my background.

To grant_m: It's kinda like a woodcut print yeah ! Sometime when I'm painting I feel like I'm chiseling a piece of clay :) Thanks for your comment !

To Blagoje: That's a great compliment ! I mean, being fan of Miller myself, to be compared to this insane artist can only make me proud ! Thanks a lot !

from a random google image search of "ink bleach art", not something I did. They can look quite different depending on the artist but mostly share that look of being gold sketched onto black. Mostly people paint flat black ink then draw into it with an art pen dipped in bleach, but you can paint a picture first with dark inks then work back into it with bleach to build up layers, sort of the way you are working where you can get more and more detail building up every time you make another pass over an area.

thats funny that its 3D, I often find myself thinking I should reinstall quake 3 radiant or hammer source engine map builder to build basic scenes for perspective, scale etc. Absolutely nothing wrong with making it in 3D, its digital after all, if its a tool at your disposal, why wouldnt you? Thats how I feel about, if you go into the digital world you have more powerful tools, but ultimately its all time saving on some level. If you were using pencil and paper you could make a vanishing point and use rules etc to draw a perspective grid and literally math and ruler the exact same scene in a technical drawing fashion and then sketch over it, it doesnt take artistic skill as much as a huge amount of time and patience, thats what the digital is saving you from. Its sort of like swapping being a draftsman for being an architect and then a phtographer as you can fly your camera angle around and find the 'shot' that really does the business.

Thats why I like the rough, messy way of working you have too, art has to be fun to create I think, for me anyway. Anywhere you can cut down laborious processes and turn it into fast, fluid, enjoyable work is a positive thing for creativity. Id rather layer 10 very rough sketches to end up with something that looks complex and descriptive than spend the same time making 1 very ponderous and precise sketch. Not that theres anything wrong with precise, slower work like that its just I personally dont enjoy doing it as much and I like mess, I like to see the workings in art. Theres a lot of personality in the texture of mess.

hammer, the level builder for source engine has these flat grid textures you can use, I was thinking I could just build things using the grid textures then desaturated it, and that gives you perspective lines along flat surfaces too. One thing I do a fair amount of is just drawing something completely flat 2D then using edit> transform> distort to just move the corners around and 'fit' something to an angled perspective. then you can blend it in or work back over the top. I think I might give hammer a go this weekend and see what I can cook up.

Spoiler

Great job!
Hey Snorkle ! Thanks for your subscription to begin with :)

I saw this flower when I searched on google about this bleach painting technique. It is in fact quite amazing ! Something I could see myself trying in the future (I lack the space currently). I like the black/golden look too, it feels like some sort of tattoo :)

I share your point of view. When you're doing digital art, you can use whatever you want to improve your speed. Why should you restrain yourself ?

I'd like to talk a bit more but I have to go, I'll edit this message when I can and I would love to see what you're capable of !

Meanwhile, Exsmigol, thanks for the compliment !

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info