[1.3][1MHC]Solo Self-Found Future-Proof Dual Frost Wall Totem, nerfed in beta already! With Video

Important Update:Well, I guess it was a bit too early to call this build future-proof and beta-ready! :) It's already nerfed to the ground in the beta - Frost Wall has a 5 second cool-down!

First of all - some disclaimers.
I fully expect a few readers to misunderstand the intent of this build, so here we go:
1. This is not a troll build. I do like the Frost Wall as a skill, I used it in multiple leagues with CWDT (and friends in parties were reluctant at first, but at some point added Frost Wall to their own CWDT setups - and none died because of that). So, this build is a kind of a tribute :-) Also, a kind of a challenge for myself, of course.
2. This character is not fully self-found (yep, I lied in the title to attract your attention). I used a gem or two found by my other characters and 5-link chest armor and one of the wands are also from other characters. Still, you can judge the quality of the gear for yourself ;-) No trade was involved, I generally do not trade at all.
3. I'm aware that there is at least one more frost wall totem build our there, http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1197955 - and I did see that thread before I created this character. Well... Multiple uniques used, including a 6-link Soul Mantle (so, 7-link totems!), funky high-dps self-cast ball lightning and cold snap... Nope, not my style, sorry. Totems here. And walls.

Here's an example video for you: Level 72 character, Level 70 map (Pier) - I have no higher maps at the moment as you can see in the video. In the beginning I take some time to show items and gems, so skip a couple of minutes if you're in a hurry. http://www.hitbox.tv/video/493716

The Good:
Spoiler
- It's an actual build, fully viable for hardcore (I'm playing it in 1 month Torment/Bloodlines Hardcore, currently level 72).
- Clear speed is pretty reasonable. Check the video and see for yourself.
- Dual Frost Wall Totems were used for leveling as soon as they become available - and it was perfectly OK (Lightning Tendrils, then Shockwave Totems before that).
- (Will not be a target for any build-specific nerfs in the foreseeable future, so perfect for a Standard league player in the ever-changing meta of PoE.) - well, well... I would not delete this, but GGG actually did nerf it! Frost wall in beta has a 5 second cool-down!
- This build does not use such controversial forms of defence as Life (111% from the tree), Armor, Evasion, Life Regen, Life Leech (totems, you know), EB/MoM/AA (so fully ready for any changes that may or may not happen during closed beta!), Block, Dodge, Running Away (where would I run with Frost Walls all around?). So, any nerfs to those would not touch it in any way!
- Even in current league CWDT setup does not include any future warcries (such as Enduring Cry), so it's future-proof again!
- Does not need high mana regen: at the moment my mana regen is 74.9, including Clarity, and my totems cost 191 mana - it's still fully playable!
- While 5-link is good, it's not strictly necessary: right now (gems level 16-17) my tooltip DPS in a 5-link using Added Cold is 2972.9, with Faster Casting it's about a hundred less. And in a 4-link, it drops to 2420.5. Fully viable!

The Bad:
Spoiler
- The build could be significantly nerfed at any time by any changes related to Added <element> support gems, Heralds, or Crits in passive tree.

The Ugly:
Spoiler
- Sadly, totem AI (or Frost Wall AI) is a bit problematic. There are two major problems. Firstly, totems often refuse to cast if they think the enemy is a bit too close to a corner, a wall, a decoration, a door, or if they just don't feel like casting today. And, secondly, if they do manage to acquire a monster as a target and push it successfully against a wall, they still cast, but do not damage it at all.
- I started the build a bit too late in the league (8/8 comes first, you know - those red/blue sets don't win themselves!), so I would not be able to check if the build is Atziri and/or Uber Atziri viable before the league ends in three days, and it really won't be fair to attempt that in regular Hardcore without our beloved bloodline packs and spirits (m-m-m, Martyr-enhanced map boss happily dreaming in the middle of the sea of Otherworldly and Phylacteral Link devourers, what a sight!).

The Items:
Spoiler

The Skills:
Spoiler
(ordered by importance, just skip what doesn't fit in your links)
Frost Wall - Spell Totem - Added Lightning - Added Chaos - Faster Casting - Added Cold
Reduced Mana - Clarity - Herald of Thunder - Herald of Ice
Assassin's Mark - Elemental Weakness - Increased AOE - Faster Casting
CWDT (Lvl 1) - Frost Wall (Lvl 5) - Temporal Chains (Lvl 5) - Immortal Call (Lvl 3)
Lightning Warp - Reduced Duration - Faster Casting (walls are your friends, but sometimes... just sometimes... it's better if they deal with it by themselves)
Flesh Offering (against those Necrovigils and summoners)

In theory you could think about Curse On Hit here, with Ball Lightning and Power Charge on Crit, etc - but let's not get down this rabbit hole, it will probably require another 5-link+ in a staff, and that's not The Way of The Wall.

The Tree:
Last edited by EpicFail42 on Apr 21, 2015, 9:01:45 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info