Non crit ranger viability

So we all know that crit becomes expensive. If you really want your crit to stand out, you need to put a lot of careful planning into your skill tree and items to not only have enough DPS, but have enough tank so to not one shot yourself from reflect.

When the new patch comes in and the new league starts, I'm wanting to run a completely new build. I've got a couple of characters that I LOVE, one being a shotgun crit freeze pulse, the other being an insanely good mob clear (but terrible single target) kinetic blaster.

Since finding out that the Point Blank keystone recalculates distance off fork and chain, and since I loved shotgun so much, and since I loved kinetic blast's insane group clear, and since I've never played ranger before, AND since rangers now have a pretty awesome mobility spell, I really want to make a Point Blank shotgun ranger. I'm not sure on whether to use lightning arrow or split arrow, whatever I like the look of most at the time, I guess, but what I really don't know is how viable non-crit rangers are.

Most non elemental guides seem to think it's crit or bust. I'm just a bit worried that, as a casual player, not finding or being able to buy good crit options will really slow me down and take up passive points in my tree that'd be better spent on flat damage and HP.

tl;dr: How possible is it really to run a non-crit physical archer? Or is crit simply the only option?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info