Glacial Cascade support gems question

I'm playing a witch with EB/CoD/AA, originally using Lightning Tendrils, decided to switch over to GC.

Main setup:

Glacial Cascade
Life Leech
Spell Echo
Concentrated Effect

Right now I am having trouble deciding which support is the best for the 5th slot.

Consdering the following atm:
Faster Casting
Cold Penetration
Knockback

Note that I do not have the Fending passive (nor have access to it) which is why I am considering the support gem.

The main thing about I want to know is if Knockback would have a negative impact if used against ranged monsters. Its fantastic against melee targets for sure since it keeps them at range while also increasing the overall number of hits with the skill, but what about ranged targets such as those with proximity shields? Would the knockback cause more harm than good for example?
Last edited by Zealflare on Mar 2, 2015, 7:26:15 AM
Yeah, knockback can be awkward in certain situations, I'd just go for penetration.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Added chaos is awesome.

Faster casting is ok. Cold pen not worth it imho. Knock back to much rng and, as u already thought, can be more harm, than use in some situations.
Cold Pen is awesomer, if you ask me.

Your Cold Damage is likely around 80% of your total Damage. There's powerful Element-specific clusters nowadays and I'm assuming you grabbed at least one of them. The remaining 20% is Physical, which faces some 10% Damage Reduction from monster Armour.

When facing 75% Resists (Magic/Rare with Resist modifier), you're dealing roughly 80*0.25 + 20*0.9 = 38% regular Damage. With Cold Pen, that's jacked up to 80*0.6 + 20*0.9 = 66%. That's just over 70% more Damage.

When facing 50% Resists (Uniques and shit*), the difference is 80*0.5+18 = 58% vs. 80*.85+18 = 86%, or ~48% more Damage.
* = Exact values are unknown (to me), but they're below cap.

Added Chaos adds similar Damage versus Uniques (~85% listed, 50% Resists brings it down to 42.5% more Damage), but it doesn't help you Chill or Freeze them... So it kinda does the same but less?
Thanks for the replies, will go with Cold Penetration. Thanks all.

EDIT:
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Cold Pen is awesomer, if you ask me.

Your Cold Damage is likely around 80% of your total Damage.

Actually, with both herald of Ice/Thunder active (lvl 15 GC, lvl 17 HoI, lvl 18 HoT), cold damage makes up for around 55.6%~ of my total damage, phy is still 20.6%-ish while lightning is at 23.4%~.

At lvl 20/21 cold damage would probably take up a slightly bigger amount

Still, its a significant chunk that makes Cold Penetration worth using.
Last edited by Zealflare on Mar 2, 2015, 2:10:47 PM
if you are using conc effect throw in increased AOE as well (unless you grab all aoe passives and dual divinarius/carcass jack).
added chaos also has benefit of not being reflected and bypassing ES

My planned setup is :
GC - echo - faster casting - conc. effect - increased aoe - leech/added chaos
why not empower or added chaos/cold
Last edited by Pemmin on Apr 20, 2015, 11:34:50 AM
That depends ...

Faster Casting is good overall and will heighten your clearspeed against typical trash. (If you don't feel like you clear fast enough)

Cold penetration will heighten your effectivenes against stronger monsters with high resists. (If you sometimes have trouble against high resist monsters)

Knockback is only for control, but would in most cases cause more harm than good in the current implementation.
I like many kinds of games 😊
Last edited by ArchSecter on Apr 20, 2015, 12:14:39 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info