[2.0]"Maelstrom"- Crit Sceptre Ice Crash

Talamoana exiles!

Introduction

This is a high dps softcore build using Doryani's Catalyst and Soul Taker with the new skill Ice Crash. We deal a great amount of AoE dps and with the correct gear setup can perma-freeze even the highest bosses like palace dominus.

For defenses we utilize pure evasion along with Acro and Phase while stacking 6k life. The main advantage of ice crash comes in play here as everything is permanently frozen, chilled, and shocked.
That being said, this is not HC viable.

Finally, this is not a noob-friendly build, as it requires quite a few things to come together to fully function, and is rather dependent on gear choices. I believe that experienced players could pull it off in a fresh league, but I don't recommend it, due to the nature of gear required (Catalyst + Soul Taker).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Build

Skill Tree

My current tree:113 points

Alternate skill tree with more dps and less life:113 points

Bandits

Normal- Help Oak

Cruel- Help Kraityn

Merciless- Help Alira

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gearing

My current gear

Required items
There are only three required items for this build:
1.Crit Sceptre/ Doryani's Catalyst- High pdps, crit roll or a Catalyst with minimum 300pdps. Anything else doesn't matter.

2. Abyssus- This thing accounts for a huge part of our dps. Try and get one with 140+ crit multi and under 45% increased damage taken.

3. Soul Taker- Any roll works here. Doesn't make any difference at all.

Other gear slots

Chest

The BiS for this build is Carcass Jack. A Belly of the Beast is also nice, and will let you reach 6k life. Finally you can also use a Daresso's Defiance, which then allows you to incorporate

A 6l is in no way required, but is very, very nice to have.

Gloves

Here we have two options, either a Maligaro's/Shadows and Dust or (preferably) rare gloves with the following stats in order:
-Life
-Accuracy
-Attack speed
-Phys damage
-Resists

I'm currently using

Maligaro's gives me about 5k dps more, but I lose around 300 life and a good amount of accuracy along with a bit of attack speed.

Boots
Simple. We want:
-Life
-Resists
-Move speed

For example,

Belt
Here a rare rustic sash/Leather belt with life and resists is preferred. Phys Doryani's is a secondary option. For example,

Rings

These are crucial to the build. Stats we want:
-Life
-Diamond ring base
-Resists
-Accuracy
-Flat phys
-Intelligence

These will be defining to the build. Don't be afraid to spend a lot on them.
Some examples:

Amulet

This is primarily a dps slot. In fact, this item is basically a mini abyssus. We want:
-Life
-Flat phys
-Crit multi
-Crit chance
-Accuracy/WED
-Maybe a resist roll or two

Example:

My Stats

Offensive

Cyclone dps with auras - 120k
With power charges - 150k

Defensive

HP - 6k with belly of the beast

40% chance to dodge attcks
30% chance to dodge spells

Skills and Gems

Links

Main Skill- Ice Crash:
Ice Crash + Melee Phys + WED + Hypothermia + Phys to Lightning/Faster Attacks + Inc Crit Strikes/ Inc AoE/ Conc. Effect

Catalyst 1:
Leap Slam + Faster Attacks + Fortify

Catalyst 2:
Ice Golem + Blood Rage + Blood Magic

4l- Helm:
Hatred + Herald of Ash + 2 free links

4l- Boots:
Herald of Thunder + Curse on Hit + Assassin's Mark + Vaal haste

4l- Gloves:
Glacial Hammer + Melee Phys + Multistrike + WED (For reflect and Single Target)

For try, for see, and for know.

This is a buff
Last edited by Etherfire on Jul 17, 2015, 2:10:05 PM
Reserved.

This is a buff
Skill trees and gear are shown. Explanation of the entire build to come.

This is a buff
Finally complete :D

Lots more info to come, but all the information required to play the build is now here. Feedback welcome!

This is a buff
Hey can this do atziri and eventually uber atziri ...
This is definitely one of the builds I'm considering trying out while waiting for the next league, it looks really fun. Is there any chance of you making a video of it some time?

"
bowen123 wrote:
Hey can this do atziri and eventually uber atziri ...

I think in its current form it should stomp normal atziri with good play

It's probably too squishy for Uber right now, but it has very easy access to the skill duration nodes, and with endurance charge gear + endurance charge from oak, it can get 21 second vaal IC's. It would probably need to switch abyssys for something else though, and if it can't use cyclone in split phase then it would need the unwavering stance boots
Budget 2h Vaal IC Uber killer : http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1200652
Budget Facebreaker Uber killer : http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1210072
Budget detonate dead Uber killer : http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1213645
Last edited by Garmon123 on Feb 16, 2015, 3:31:02 PM
I can't make videos due to bad laptop, however there is a similar thread in templar forum by ThePuppet. He has videos of atziri and courtyard map, which do a pretty good job of showcasing the play style.

Atziri is pretty face roll with this build. For ubers you need to change skill tree and gems for immortal call and be really good at dodging atziri spells. Vaal immortal call is also good to use, but dodging is better, since you can't use cyclone on low life. That being said, thepuppet has almost done ubers, I'm hoping he succeeds soon.

This is a buff
Will this work with resolute technique ?
a brief passive tree

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgQAFey5Hb2BmSuE2cqQZU29Nkd-vqdjcGBBEdVXl0MxtkFOKgHcvop4DalubEZybDIJtfI1kv6PTeOmVzrh8kX-Cti9MZ4ppZstTP88Lcautz6uPnfj6UaK8MSC73yf38BmrfEYXTzvaPKvbIKbmjs8Be0gMolX4nfli08oKpd55FFnm4VSm2p2rM9-rY3ZYUE_ITS0L1Hm6hg7O3dTfNn3MhQg7w5QR18_nsWQVScv7DjAGho4-tJmnoCkVdZk5xcv42oWbz38jM_2SB6UnleExH7gdn97jEqYzGaUXA==
Mate, it's a crit build. With resolute technique, you'd have a fraction of the dps and not much more survivability.

There is no reason to go RT with dual doryani. You won't gain anything. Doryani's catalyst is a pretty good crit weapon, all things considered.

This is a buff
This build looks pretty amazing for it's cost - I never actually bought a catalyst - my guild mates vaal them and throw them in the guild stash so this build is perfect for me; As I look at it I will actually need only a 5l belly (which I already got) to output this absurd amount of damage! Will try it very soon.

Also I saw that the other guy who did this build very similar to you took VP and you didn't, is there an explanation for this? How do you defend yourself from ele and phys reflect? they both seem so dangerous for this build.

Edit: Oh and how do you leech? is the 2% from the tree and 2 from scepters even remotely enough?
Last edited by Zulach on Feb 19, 2015, 12:13:34 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info