Molten Strike + Flame Surge... The CoCBlocker.

How could one pass up the opportunity to call something "CoCBlocker"?

DISCLAIMER
Spoiler
I'm not really a MIN/MAX type of player. I also don't like to jump on to the current FotM build or known cookie cutter builds. Yes, I'm that type of player who likes using the under-utilised skills, try out different combos or simply try things I haven't tried before... you know... for science and all that.

BUILD VIDEO AND GAMEPLAY
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8tiKtaQUc_zAHkSeAwQ-iQ

SCOPE FOR IMPROVEMENT
Spoiler
I believe this build has plenty of room for improvement. I will try to highlight these throughout the build, but if you think of other ideas please feel free to post them below.

BASIC IDEAS
Spoiler
I wanted to try out the new skills Molten Strike and Flame Surge. FS increases it's DPS against targets that are ignited, but FS itself can't ignite. A method of igniting is to land a critical strike with fire damage. Heyyyy, I've never done a Cast on Critical Strike (CoC) build before, so let's do that. Molten Strike made an ideal candidate because of the multiple projectiles that splash, each of these can trigger a CoC (AFAIK) and the crits will ignite.

SKILL SETUP
Spoiler

These aren't super focused and are a bit over the place, so could certainly be refined down a bit.

Primary Skill
5L = Molten Strike + Cast on Crit + Flame Surge + Ice Nova + Arc

The play style will be in amongst the action, so IN provides crowd control with Freeze/Chill. Arc auto targets mobs (good visual aid for where next mobs are) and it procs shock stacks.

6L = Molten Strike + Cast on Crit + Flame Surge + Ice Nova + Shock Nova + Concentrated Effect

Again, being in the action would make SN rather strong IMO and Conc Effect would reduced the dead zone, while also buffing all 3 spells: FS, IN and SN (and Molten Strike).

Support Skills
Flame Totem + Vaal Summon Skeletons + Blind

My defensive support skills to apply blind debuff, distract mobs and FT can also ignite mobs for my FS strikes.

Defensive Skills
Cast on Damage Taken + Molten Shell + Life Leech + Enduring Cry

MS can again proc ignite, but deals ok damage while giving me back life before EC procs to reduce incoming damage.

Auras
Vitality... build has poor life regen.
Clarity... for mana regen.
Purity of Elements... for resists.

Utility Skills
Arctic Armour... as needed.
Lightning Warp... for movement.
Detonate Dead... for corpse removal.
Critical Strike Curse... for more dps.
Dual Strike + Life Gain on Hit... for life leech when needed and for some Elemental Reflect rares.

PASSIVE TREE
Spoiler

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMAAAYHYwj0EZYVIBX2GYYZihqPHNwkPCaVJ6kppSpNLJws6S0fLUcxiDGeNJM1kjvhPV8_J0SrR35JUUp9SshN404qUEJSU1M1VUtVrlYtVytabVuvYnljcGVNZ6BtGW1sbXtuaW6qcFZwu3NTeQN_xoIQgh6E2Yd2iEKI8Yqvi3qMNo-mkBGQG5oTm7WmV6crp1yrxaxHrH-0OLVItfK2Qb6nwFTBxcHzwzrEuMpK0O7VT9X429TdDd5337Di9-UZ6yzv4_ba96P7Cfv1_MX-jw==

Goals here is to grab % Increased Critical Strike via Nightstalker, Mental Acuity and Twin Terrors. Grab some extra Block % via Dervish and generally grab life and mana.

I tried EB but like the ES buffer, but this could be taken up if you wish.

I invested in Spell Damage and Elemental Damage, but it might be better to go Increased Critical Strike Multiplier instead... appreciate thoughts on this.

My gear is lacking some Elemental Resists, so I've picked a couple extra near the Scion, which will be re-allocated when gear improves.

GEAR
Spoiler

Important Pieces
- Ungil's Gauche x 2 (~2 Chaos)... these give you easy 40% block, but importantly can give 90% Global Crit too.

- Rat's Nest (~3-5c)... increased Crit Chance (these are a low roll), increased attack/movement speed and solid evasion.

- Rainbowstrides (~15-25c)... adds % Spell Block and Elemental Resists.

- 5L/6L Chest (~10c-6ex)... 6L are obviously the most expensive piece, but 5L is suffice. *** Plenty of room for improvement on this piece.

- Romira's Banquet (~1ex)... not mandatory, but helps boost crit %, but it up and down. Drop this if you have good crit %.

- Gloves... % Increased Attack Speed.

- Rest... is just about getting Life, Resits, Mana and stats to support.

PROS
- Fun to play... really fun. Seeing spells proc at various stages due to MS projectiles staggered hits.
- Aim for white packs to proc crits easier.
- Rather tanky, it has it's weaknesses, but can certainly survive being in and amongst it.
- scope for improvement.

CONS
- Solo DPS can be low.
- Life regen/leech is low (hence Vitality).
- Lacks Chaos resists.
- Careful around elemental reflect... but b/c you're melee you should spot them before you get in too close. Pick them off, a few hits at a time, use Flame Totem or use Dual Strike to take them down.

I welcome all feedback (good, bad or if you just think "that is shit... because").

Thanks for reading, considering and your thoughts.
Cheers

Chris Wilson: "Today was the proudest day of my life."
Last edited by Kaysee on Aug 2, 2014, 1:12:28 AM
Ey, ive done this build too, in ambush on a glassy shadow (which was capable of reaching 100% res tho, and get IC up for 6 sec) with insane dps, both AoE and singletarget. (Tanks Maze Vaal and Atziri's double vaal ez mode and kills in 5-10 seconds) and Later in the 1month as first char.

Check here to get idea's: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/972202, it reached 87 in 1mSC and was in top30 very consistently the first week (the mara version tho). Its not the easiest solo clearspeed, but thats rather to Ms being melee than the dmg output.

Three dragons is a pure 90% more dmg versus tougher mobs, since FS shockstacks pretty easy

EE isnt recommended unless you have a 6link either, i dont think romira's is useful enough

To combat Reflect: Life leech/LgoH is obligatory, as well is Stone of lazwhar (wtf, why dont u use it :P)

Your tree is pretty inefficient, but then again, youve not done a CoC build before, so here is what i'd recommend as a witch with ungil's: Passive tree - 110 points

Which is actually similar to what my third iteration of the build was going to be until i got addicted to my Ci crit storm caller.

Some notes here: Through the Ranger area offers us:

Pressure points for crit
Primal spirit for Mana
Finesse for Attack speed and Dex
Gymnastics for life
A more efficient passthrough

In the shadow area: Assasination and Bloodthirst. Global crit chance is better than crit with daggers, since it also applies to FS, meaning it will benefit more from crit multi

Arcane focus is a no-no if you dont go EB/CI/Low life

Life flasks are a ++

there is a power charge in the witch and shadow area. Pick those up, as well as the one from alira.

My overall opinion on going witch for CoC btw: Rubbish. You waste soo much points tbh, but thats just my opinion. Especially since going into the Duelist area means that you already pick up enough survivability actually.

Ill update my own threat for my old shadow tree in a sec, so should be up once you are done reading this
Ign: Leary_AscendedNecro
Twitchtv: leary93
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfzgUpVcv6wzrs5TwKZaGJQ
Last edited by leary93 on Aug 2, 2014, 4:48:39 AM
"
leary93 wrote:
Ey, ive done this build too...

Cheers for the detailed feedback Leary. This is the 1st version of the build and I am eagerly awaiting 1.2.0 to respec it to the next version. This is part of the reason I made the post/video now... to get feedback/ideas about what to change.

I've been doing some calcs and think FS can crank up to some pretty impressive numbers. The main issue IMO is the mechanics/physics of MS... takes time to get into melee, takes time for projectiles to land/proc, and then you have to be facing the right way for FS to hit mobs.

I will definitely read and consider your comments though. Ta.
<Reserved>
Why do you start as witch instead of as shadow? Imo the mana/manareg and ES nodes at the witch start aren't needed for that build (unless i overlooked something). Even when starting as witch it would be better to take the 3 flask nodes (very useful and underrated) instead of the ES nodes to get out of the starting area.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info