Leary's Vaal Pact Storm Call (tanky and good clear speed) (revised for 1.2)

Hiya, yes, storm call, finally :D

no for real, it owns. Not as much as arc for map clearing probably, but i leveled pretty quick and its really potent, so if still interested, follow what ive done in this thread

Build Core

We will use Storm call as our main skill obviously, you need a 5 link preferably, a 6link adds about 20-25% dps

Storm call - Echo - Added lightning - Life leech - Lightning pen - Faster Casting

(Crit CI: - switch Fast cast for Pcoc and when you get enough crit use inc crit dmg instead of added lightning (whatever gives more deeps) )

Is our main skill.

I will level up till level 75 or so as life - IR + MoM and unless im satisfied with the clear speed at that point Ill Respec to CI stormcall. We try to be tanky enough to live for 1.5 sec and then heal fully by leeching from our storm call with Vaal pact.

As a targeting point, 10k dps at 75 is what I want to reach, leech should give 500~ life back per mob per streak(not counting in shockstacks) so unless its not a significant pack we should leech back to full life in a full streak. MoM and IR should keep us alive for that time

Gear

Core items:

Carcass Jack
High ES Base shield
High spell dps Wand/Sceptre (whatever gives the best dps at that point)

Upgrade items:

Doryani's Invitation (Lightning) and Catalyst (cast speed over ele dmg)
Rainbowstrides for spellblock/Atziri's Step for spell dodge
Voidbringer Conjurer gloves
Berek's Grip for Mana leech ;)

All Skill links

Main link:

Storm Call - Echo - Add lightning - LL - Light pen - FC in that order

Aura's:

Reduced mana - Clarity - Discipline - Haste

Reduced mana - PoL - Conductivity (in +lightning sceptre/wand/shield preferably)

Movement:

Lightning warp - Reduced duration - FC

Cast on Stun (since you're MoM):

Enduring cry - Enfeeble - Molten shell

Last 4slot/link:

AA - Enhance - IC - Increased duration

This last ill explain:

Enduring cry isnt linked to Ic on purpose, you only want IC to go off when you want it to, hence we can selfcast it linked to inc duration and enhance for a massive duration. I love to stay away from the basic CwdT - EC - IC - ID lame sheep link and when i can, i do

Passive Tree's

Bandit choices: Oak - Alira - Kill

Lvl 70 Baseline tree

You can pick up more life than in this tree if you're HC but its still pretty tanky, with a 5link you should be able to live if you play with your head. Go to blast radius, then static blows then amplify then downwards picking up the life nodes on the way as you like. Eb should be picked around lvl 40-50 depending on your needs.

Lvl 90 Baseline

186% life is low, BUT, instead of picking up influence you can also choose to spec a bit more in life, or same counts for damage nodes/life+mana nodes etc etc. I however, think 186% life is just fine, as a MoM, IR, AA, EB character. Also, you have insane life leech from time to time ;). Just enjoy your damage as it is. For the last 10 nodes i recommend going into the shadow area, picking up the spell damage and the shock chance node, or go for nimbleness and lightning weaver instead after which you can even pick up inner force.

Leveling Guide (Yet to be revised)

Yes you can level with storm call, it requires some experience, but i recommend doing it for the full Storm call experience. Its fun and fast. I'd even say close to Flameblast fast. Probably like, just 15% behind it.

Level with Storm call - Added lightning - Lightning penetration/Spell echo in a high base ele implicit sceptre recipied to +1 to lightning gems.

(for who doesnt know how it works: Magic sceptre + Topaz ring + alteration, sell those together to the vendor, and you get the sceptre.)

I used:

and later:

For supporting skills, Vaal storm call is a really good pick, but Vaal spark should work just fine.

Both Single target and AoE is fine tho, just remember, your damage is delayed, so kiting, positioning and thinking ahead is important.

For the tree's:

Go dmg first, then life. Pretty straightforward:

lvl 21-22 tree

Towards static blows first, then Amplify

lvl 44ish tree

Pick up EB, you are starting to get hungry on mana and probably want to ditch your mana flasks, then go towards Vaal pact so you can switch to at least a 4link, preferably a 5link of course:

lvl 57ish tree

Now you are ready to go towards IR and MoM, unless you know you are going CI of course.

If you want to level with flameblast, there is literally no reason not to, just go through the fire walker instead, and dont pick up static blows. Those 3 points can then go into more dmg or life, whatever you want to do with it. But as soon as you pick up vaal pact you should be commited to storm call.

CI Crit Storm Call

Skills will change up a bit, as will gear etc.

Gear:

Use Voidbringers, carcass jack, rainbowstrides, a good ES shield (preferably rathpith for spellblock, or a crit + spell dmg shield), a good ES helmet or Alpha's howl. Either Divinarius, Void battery, Doryani's or a really good Spell+crit wand/dagger/sceptre. You should be able to afford GG gear before you go CI, else you should not go CI.

Skills:

Main:

Storm Call - Echo - Light pen - LL - Pcoc - Crit Multi/Conc effect for bosses

Aura's:

Red Mana - PoL - PoF in voidbringers with Conductivity

Red Mana - Haste - Discipline - Clarity in Alpha's/helmet

If PoL/PoF is 21, put it in alpha's instead of Clarity/Haste

Movement:

LW - Red Duration - FC (maybe WB - FA for divinarius/dagger and add in blood rage there)

Defensive:

CwdT - Enduring cry - Enfeeble

Immortal call - Inc Duration - Enhance - Blood rage/AA(lvl1, just Q) if WB and blood rage in weapon or no enhance

passive tree:

lvl 70 tree (Minimum tree requirements)

lvl 97 tree (With Dex and Str on Rings - Last 4 nodes go in cast speed)

This last tree is not final yet. I still have to retest, but, for now storm call looks like its gonna be strong.

Reflect

Since many people find Storm call unviable due to reflect issues:

1. Pop a topaz

2. you should have between 81% and 87% Max Lightning res, depending on if you are using saffells frame or not and if you have lvl 19/20 PoL combined with your current position in the tree

3. If still in doubt, just trust your Vaal pact: 18% dmg reflected back should come down to 4.5% dmg taken maximum, with that being reduced to 3.15% due to MoM and you'r leech should be between 3% and 3.5% with Vaal pact up. So. No worries.

But.. Clear speed

Given: its tedious, and you need to be able to estimate your damage as good as possible. But, with 44% increased Area there should be no problem at all. Trust me, you will not notice much difference between this and a Non- DD/Arc/Flameblast/CoC/CritSplit build. And for a thing its fun too

EB-MoM-IR Gear before switching:

CI Crit Current Gear:

Avg dmg per cast on CI crit: 5.070k with charges. Cast time: 0.18 with charges ~ 5.5 casts per second. DPS: ~28k pure. 42k when shocked.
Ign: Leary_AscendedNecro
Twitchtv: leary93
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfzgUpVcv6wzrs5TwKZaGJQ
Last edited by leary93 on Aug 25, 2014, 12:43:01 AM
Looks interesting-ish, but not bad at all for a start-from-scratch build.

Have you considered:
-running Added Chaos for damage diversity?
-using Divinarius?

Also looks a tad squishy for me.
[2.2] KuteKitteh's CI EA Regen Tank - Durable w/10k ES, instant clear, EZ-Atziri, affordable!: /1625757
"
KuteKitteh wrote:
Looks interesting-ish, but not bad at all for a start-from-scratch build.

Have you considered:
-running Added Chaos for damage diversity?
-using Divinarius?

Also looks a tad squishy for me.

Added chaos - Yes but no, you scale a lot from ele dmg and lightning damage so added chaos doesnt work how you want it to work.

Divinarius - Yes and I wish i had it already but sad but true we havent been able to get our hands on one yet in the 1month

Squishy? For normal players maybe, for me it isnt. I love squishy and am used even more squishy. The tree's are a baseline and as stated you can easily pick more life, there is a lot on the way to pick up. The only thing that makes you squishy is how good you are with lightning warp, and how balsy you are in actually putting some storm calls down, since those will regen you a lot once they hit. Im even thinking about trying atziri when i reach the level for her (80-85 depending on items)
Awesome build, especially for a one month :o

And what the hell at that shield in one month ! *gasp*
"
leto2626 wrote:
Awesome build, especially for a one month :o

And what the hell at that shield in one month ! *gasp*

I know, I even just went CI at 68, suprisingly, since i realized i could pull that off actually. I didnt lose much dps, actually getting divinarius i gained dps too. Self buffed im at 4.5-5k dps (ex shockstacks and lightning pen, include those and i get around 8-10k dps) while using eye of chayula and still having 4.2k ES

Ill update for that later

The Es shield. Yah i know, a guildie dropped it :3
Bump: Ci Crit info is there too, now i just need to get a leveling guide up and my personal char leveled so I can post a legit Tooltip ;)
Bump: Thread is updated with a leveling guide, altho its pretty straightforward. GL if you are going to test it out ;)
Bump, posted a "current" tree so you guys can know where im at in the 1month leveling process, will probably do some gorge speed runs at lvl 86-88 depending on how i feel about it. Ohh. And that shield is just perfect thinking about the fact its a 1month race shield.
Added Video and more will come
Thanks for showing me this build, i cant decide between storm call or flameblast...

what do you think of using this unique with your build ?
Spoiler

For standard league fresh character
---
Last edited by Kelemn on Aug 12, 2014, 1:51:42 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info