My Flaming CoC: Righteous Fire Spectral Throw Cast on Crit

Disclaimer: This build has scope for much better performance than what I'm showing. My gear is sub par and my level is relatively low. Yet, I'm kicking ass and taking names already!

I also do not purport to be the first person ever to have a Flaming CoC and I'm sure there are others out there who have caught the same disease. Regardless, this is my build that I made myself without contracting the Flaming CoC from someone else. I love this build and hope you will too :)

INTRODUCTION

Inspired by Foxtactic's Righteous Surgeon, I had respecced an old trapper to replicate the same and thought, "Why not throw in some CoC action into this baby?"

With that, I present to you, the Flaming CoC!

(Not in any way or form related to Kripp's Burning Discharge)

VIDEOS AND CHARACTER STATS

Spoiler
Build video with character Stat pages shown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMVu-D0Z8GI

Simple run through of an easy map
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKI0GGW1PYg

PLAYSTYLE AND RANGE CONSIDERATIONS

Spoiler
Just like any ST CoC build in that you gather lots of monsters in front of you and let loose for lots of flaming goodness. Turning on righteous fire adds a lovely lovely spell modifier to it all.

Note, however, that this build has 3 effective ranges for different situations :

1. Long distance
What happens : Arc zaps everything. Occasional flame surge gets some action (not that you really need it)
For when : Most mob packs

2. Mid range
What happens : Both arc and surge get in on the action now
For when : Blue packs, rock golems, most rares

3. Righteous fire range
What happens : Like mid range but righteous fire burns and adds its multiplier on surges
For when : Bosses (with your flasks up for defense). Also useful for burning up remnant low life monsters after your initial bursts that you're too lazy to try killing

PASSIVE TREE

SKILL GEMS

Spoiler
Spectral Throw + GMP + CoC + Arc + Flame Surge + (optional) Life Leech or Life Gain on Hit

Your bread and butter killer. Flame Surge damage is great with superb crit chance and righteous fire synergy. Arc is also at a really good place at the moment and covers for Flame Surge's lack of range.

Between Leech and Life Gain on Hit, I prefer leech but can see why the latter may be preferable to some for more consistent life gain when you aren't getting your crits.

Righteous Fire + Increased Area of Effect + (optional) Increased Burning Damage

What makes my CoC a Flaming CoC. Increased area is very useful in extending your boss fighting range (see range considerations above). Since RF isn't your main source of dps, I don't believe Concentrated Effect is worth the smaller area.

Essential auras : Purity of Fire + Vitality

These are necessary for RF.

Optional auras : Purity of Lightning + Grace + Clarify

My personal preference above. It's not a must have to use these auras, particularly if you intend to use a cloak of defiance.

Cwdt + Enduring Cry + Immortal Call + Increased Duration

Given my character's reliance on evasion, physical mitigation for hits that go through its critical. While this won't stop me from getting one shotted by Vaal (not that I should allow myself to be in such a position), it does keep me alive through chain rhoa charges etc. You may have your own defensive combo depending on your gear though. (eg: this is likely less important of you have lightning coil).

Curses: Currently crit weakness but am considering switching to elemental weakness as my crit chance improves.

Movement: Whirling blades

WHY NOT CYCLONE

Spoiler
You could do the build with a Volls Protector and Cyclone / Discharge instead of Spectral Throw / Flame Surge.

I just don't really like Cyclone CoC as it occasionally leaves you spinning in a pack of monsters with no crits triggering and you're just getting whacked without the aid of leech. You can mitigate that a little by clicking many times but that's annoying and mana intensive given the skill's high mana cost.

BANDITS

Spoiler
Oak / All / All

MY GEAR

Spoiler
Uniques :

You really only need the Phoenix Shield and maybe the Rat nest if you're struggling with crit.

Rares :

Dagger with crit chance and attack speed. I crafted mine with 2 regal orbs, 1 scour, and a bunch of alterations.

6L chest of preferable for the leech gem space but otherwise a 5L will suffice. My chest doesn't even have a life roll so there's definitely room for improvement on mine

WHAT ABOUT BOSSES

Spoiler
The bane of all CoC builds... Well, they've been generally manageable for me so far. For most bosses, it's easy to lead monsters and spawns to them before letting loose in Righteous Fire range.

For tougher bosses with more life, I equip the following as a back up :

Just equip those in place of your dagger and spectral throw and you're good to go!

WHAT I NEED TO DO TO MAKE THIS GODLIKE

Spoiler
My setup as disclaimed is clearly subpar and yet I'm having tonnes of fun. To make this God like, I need :

1. At least level 20 gems instead of the random 17/18 levels I'm using

2. A decent 6L chest which actually has life, or maybe a carcass jack / cloak of defiance / lightning coil

3. Crit dagger that actually has more than 3 affixes, particularly spell related ones like damage and crit

4. More life, and definitely crit passives so that I can stop using Rats nest for a better helm (or maybe even 3 dragons for both freeze and shock)

5. General gear improvements as many are merely above average

6. ATZIRI GLOVES AND DORYANI BELT!
Last edited by dlrr on Jul 5, 2014, 6:30:10 AM
Great build! Really makes me want to re-roll!!
Nice build.
Cheap yet effective.

A question, for the passive tree, will you be taking DoomCast and Nightstalker to increase critical chance?

And I saw a new aura called clarify :p.
nice build , GZ maybe a reroll to try this..
Wise words buff -> balance <- nerf , need to happen , deal with it
Nice job on the tree... I've thought about this kind of stuff b4 but I wasn't sure how to fit everything I wanted into 100 points
May i know what are your crit chances with this ?

Because i don,t think that the 25 ish points in the marauder part for righteous fire. (That will give you 59% spell damage) is worth. You could get the same amount of spell damage with 5-6 points. Put the rest in critical chance. Get fire damage on your dagger to ignite ennemies. And use the same settup.
Last edited by ZePample on Jul 3, 2014, 6:16:05 PM
"
Lightlaunch wrote:
Nice build.
Cheap yet effective.

A question, for the passive tree, will you be taking DoomCast and Nightstalker to increase critical chance?

And I saw a new aura called clarify :p.

Thanks! I will ultimately take Nightstalker, but not Doomcast since the latter doesn't proc CoC :)

Clarify? FIXED! Thanks for the spot :)

"
reaperpi wrote:
Nice job on the tree... I've thought about this kind of stuff b4 but I wasn't sure how to fit everything I wanted into 100 points

Thanks! Spent most of my time just staring at the damn tree to get it all in. Heh.

"
May i know what are your crit chances with this ?

Because i don,t think that the 25 ish points in the marauder part for righteous fire. (That will give you 59% spell damage) is worth. You could get the same amount of spell damage with 5-6 points. Put the rest in critical chance. Get fire damage on your dagger to ignite ennemies. And use the same settup.

It's about 45% (you can check out the introduction video which has character stats).

Actually, most of the marauder points go into life which I need given the rest of my tree anyway :) The number of real "wasted" nodes in my view is around 11. At 59% more spell damage, its real power will only show when I have a proper dagger with spell damage affix, but what i also like is the RF burn damage to take out single small creeps that annoy the hell out of me when I get an unlucky run in trying to proc crits. Heh.
How about a Fireball with 20% Quality in your 6L?
The Fireball would have 30% chance to ignite increasing the damage of flame surge for mid range, giving you the ability to save yourself from degen (when turning RF off) and doing damage itself also at high range.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info