Actingrude's Rappid-Discharge *UsainVolt* CoC + Cyclone + Discharge and more

Reflect is not an issue.
So I was going to wait a few weeks to post this but in the last couple of days as I have finished up testing I have been overwhelmed with positive comments and questions about my build. So I am sharing it with those who care to give it a try.

THE BASIC IDEA

So basically I ran some maps one night with a Mjolner build that blew my mind wide open. He Ran Spork (which struck me as somewhat strange). I looked deep into this weapon and while I loved the idea of the build and doing something around it; at this moment the cheapest one on poe.xyz is 40 exalt.

So this build is something similar to that at truly 1/10th the cost of just the weapon.

4 Link viable but shines with a 5link.
A 6 link would of course only add to the build, but I'm not sure what I would go with in that 6th slot yet.

So this build supports cyclone, is based on EV, Dodge, and Block.

The damage comes from rappid Discharges; sometimes it will discharge on every single hit, around 4 a second; all with multiple power charges and possibly frenzy and endurance charges up.

THE WHY

So since beginning this game I have wanted a cyclone build, but unfortunately as we have all learned; there just isn't an efficient way to support the cost of the skill. I wanted to be able to support it efficiently without giving up the feel of ripping through groups. Additionally I wanted to be able to use cyclone for true movement, I hate the idea of the giant long strokes people have needed to use to make cyclone viable.

Additionally I loved two other skills:
Arc appealed to me right away. I gave it a few failed attempts before the buff, and when it got its most recent buff I loved it and went with the "Lightning Ninja Build".

Discharge just looks incredible to me, screwing around with it; it's obvious it has a huge damage potential. I mean, if you don't like discharge than this isn't the build for you.

Finally I love the idea of Cast on Crit (CoC). Oh man, the idea of casting spells faster than you could self cast them is just very interesting. That said, I wanted to minimize projectiles as some people claim they cause distress in groups.

ONE REQUIRED ITEM!
The only item required is

The idea behind this is that when used with a medium crit chance you basically hit max crit chance around 4 to 5 power charges. Then when you crit your discharge uses up all of your charges before you lose them to the ring. This gives it NO downside and truly drives the build.

How it works (in depth-ish)

So when attacking a group you cyclone in with blood rage activated >

You hit and immediately begin gaining power charges >

Anything you kill with physical damage (which is FAR FROM NEGLIGIBLE) can give you frenzy charges, and then with a minimal Cast on Damage Taken (CoDT) Enduring cry gives you endurance charges. >

Then you crit, hopefully not until the 4th or 5th hit (So you have full power charges) >

Discharge is first, it ends lifes; simple as that. This can also crit. >

Then Arc goes off. and can crit, causing more discharges (1+ power charge each). >

You lose your Power charges because of the ring, but then arc continues to hit more targets. >

This entire time you are also hitting targets, at the end of the cyclone you can potentially be right back at full 3f/3e/5p charges easily.

Rinse and repeat.

My Gear, the suggested Gear

This one seems pretty obvious.

These have okay damage but the instant leach allows you to cyclone and not have an issue. You end up with HUGE leach at the end of the build and I am thinking that you could substitute one of these for a much better wep, but right now I dont think its an issue, and these are cheep and DAMN effective.

The life, the EV the resist, the area damage I mean there is not a wasted stat on this. Its perfect (like much of this gear seems to be).

Great Crit, and okay evasion but I am thinking about trading this out for some tri-res goves with life and things... I'm still testing, but this is the slot I may replace first. But the crit and multiplier is pretty damn good.

The Spell block is just too good to pass-up, there is a lot of discussion on max-block best in slot for amulet but I like this because the int is also great.
I would suggest Voll's Devotion, its just kind of insane for damage.
Alternatively I am going to try out the Anchor, especially with a possible armor variation of the build.

I don't know, I needed the resist for leveling. I am thinking a chaos resist ring here to help with the blood rage damage and other chaos damage but I'm up in the air on this. It may be a great place for a phys ring.

Essential. I would take 2 if it made sense. (Maybe I'll test that)

I love the resist, life, damage and leach on this.

I like the huge EV here and the life and spell dodge. I considered Blood Dance, but I dont think the frenzy charge chance is nearly high enough to take them over blood rage as convenient as it would be.

A Glove and Ring Swap

I recently switched to a different set of gloves and am planning on switching to a heavy chaos resist ring. The build just feels a bit easier this way, although I have noticed a slight dip in the number of discharges going out, I think this will balance out as I progress in the tree. I still seldom notice myself sitting at 5 power charges for more than a fraction of a second, And it is ideal to discharge AT not BEFORE 5 charges.

I plan on getting life/chaos/high evasion boots to replace these, these were something of a cheep "test" pair.

THE SKILL TREES

This build sucks to level from 40 to 62, but its worth it.
I suggest going survival early (picking up the long crit nodes set in bottom right early) and
know that when you hit 60ish and can put on the ring your damage will push through with no issues even waiting to pick up the nodes near shadow.

Alternatively there is the potential to go shadow by going int along the top line and then cutting down to mental acuity. This allows you to drop a 30 int node much earlier, but is also less effective by about 4 points.

Bandits

Normal: Kraityn (Resist)
Cruel: Oak (Damage)
Merciless: Alira (Power Charge)

Skill Gems

Armour:
Cyclone + Blood Magic + Arc + Discharge + CoC
Helm:
Dual Strike + Multi-Strike + Blood Magic + ?
Gloves:
Reduced Mana + Grace + Purity of Elements (Maybe Hatred later if the aura nodes above shadow can support it with lvl 20 reduced mana).
Boots:
CoDT + Enduring Cry + Decoy Tottem + ?
Wep:
Vaal Haste (for fun) + Blood Rage + Increased Duration

No Gear Level 80 stats

Life(reserved) Mana(reserved) ES
344 124 12
Combined Damage
Damage Attacks Per Second
Crit %/Multiplier Chance to Hit

Resistances (Normal/Cruel/Merciless)
Fire 40 20 -20
Cold 40 20 -20
Lightning 40 20 -20
Chaos 0 -20 -60

Defense
Armour Block
Evasion 121 (46%) Dodge 40% (30%)
Strength Dexterity Intelligence
100 300 110
Life Regen/Sec Mana Regen/Sec
5.2 2.6
Endurance Charges Frenzy Charges Power Charges
3 3 4
Item Rarity Item Quantity
0 0
Life
Maximum Life +% 146
Life Leech From Physical Damage With Claw % 12
Life Regeneration Rate Per Minute % 90

Physical Damage
Physical Claw Damage +% 18
Physical Damage +% 12
Physical Damage While Dual Wielding +% 40
One Handed Melee Physical Damage +% 28
Melee Physical Damage +% 36

Accuracy
Accuracy Rating 600
Accuracy Rating While Dual Wielding +% 16

Defense
Maximum Energy Shield +% 22
Evasion Rating +% 60
Dual Wield Or Shield Block % 6
Block While Dual Wielding % 24
Ignore Armour Movement Penalties 1
Evasion And Physical Damage Reduction Rating +% 56

Mana
Maximum Mana +% 8
Mana Regeneration Rate +% 20

Movement
Base Movement Velocity +% 4

Spell
Base Cast Speed +% 3

Attack Speed
Attack Speed +% 30
Attack Speed While Dual Wielding +% 12
Claw Attack Speed +% 4
One Handed Melee Attack Speed +% 3

Offense
Base Critical Strike Multiplier +% 20
Critical Strike Chance +% 110
Critical Strike Chance While Dual Wielding +% 125

Videos will get there eventually; I am focusing on leveling and having a ton of fun with it for now. Hopefully this has been enough information that people can start trying it for themselves.
I am always open to suggestions!
If you have questions please hit me up in game at UsainVolt

In the future I am going to look into both an armor build and a ES build. ES may work nicely with Ghost Reaver.

Videos

Before you watch these and judge the build too harshly, please keep in mind that when I made these videos it had been about 2 months since I had last played the build.
I was hitting the wrong potions and trying to Cyclone a few things that I could have face tanked with my single target move without issue.
Enjoy
Piety
Sealed Corridors
Dom
Precinct Map

Last edited by Actingrude on Aug 11, 2014, 7:48:37 PM
Was awesome grouping with you today. You def carried the group in docks. Only time I saw you die was against reflect I believe.
Thanks. I will say, Reflect is only an issue at lower levels, around lvl 65 you pick up 12% more life leach and then a bit more from gear. That along with the boots counters this pretty easily and the builds only big weaknesses end up being chaos damage and too many small attacks at once.
"
Actingrude wrote:
Thanks. I will say, Reflect is only an issue at lower levels, around lvl 65 you pick up 12% more life leach and then a bit more from gear. That along with the boots counters this pretty easily and the builds only big weaknesses end up being chaos damage and too many small attacks at once.

Sorry for asking but how could you get 12% more life leach from elemental damage (lighting damage from powercharge discharge)?
AllanPls - A Poe.Trade-inspired style for the official Path of Exile Trade website (v0.1.2)

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2026765
"
surVfate wrote:
"
Actingrude wrote:

Sorry for asking but how could you get 12% more life leach from elemental damage (lighting damage from powercharge discharge)?

I think you misunderstood, maybe I didn't make it clear. The 12% more life leach was not with ele damage, but rather physical damage. Part of the fun of this build comes from the fact that the discharge is actually only a portion of the damage out-put. With the claws I chose I get 100% of my health leach (even over the 20% or is it 12% cap).

The additional life leach picked up because I finally had enough to points to pick up the soul/essence/spirit raker nodes on the far east point of the skill tree.

Don't get me wrong, I see a dip in health when i hit a reflect pack. I do hold my breath until the mob is dead, but I havent had an issue with reflect since then and I have been running maps all day since hitting 66.

I had considered switching out my belt for a lightening doryanis; but I'm not sure the 1% slow life leach that would act like a HoT or life regen ends up making up for the loss of resist.

Ideally I want to squeeze hatred in with the build, either by dropping Purity of Elements or picking up the reduced mana node that i get within 3 points of.
Last edited by Actingrude on May 19, 2014, 12:31:44 AM
A few changes made to the tree for 80 and 90 to better support Blood Rage (and later Hatred)

An alternative for gear added for the same reason.

Chaos damage still hurts =\
But its getting a lot better with chaos resist in the positive now.
scrubcore build?
Hey great build, plan on trying it out here in a bit. I was wondering if you had any videos yet?
Hey!
I've made a character that's following this build, and I use 6L Tabula (Temporary) and I'm using a Enduring Cry as 6th Gem and it works out really well, it gives abit of additional damage per Discharge :)
Quality before quantity.
Last edited by hejhej012 on Jul 21, 2014, 6:40:21 AM
It is great to see some people enjoying this build.
Yes it is scrubcore; Sometimes we hardcore, and sometimes we just want to kick back and watch the screen explode.
This is the latter.

Uploading a couple videos right now to YouTube,
Going to post them as soon as they are done (in 2 weeks?)

I would have loved to try out a 6-link, unfortunately a 6-link carcass is expensive as hell in every league... Unfortunately I have moved on to new builds (I get bored quick) but I was able to go back and do some videos really quick; maybe if I find a way to get this build into the next 4 month I will try a 6-link and see how viable it is.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info