Another Molten Strike Build! in depth

Hello!My name is ValoociMarauder and this is my first guide that i'm writing so please bare with me
First thing's first: on today's list we have Molten Strike
To make this build viable you will need the unique scepter called Doriany's Catalist wich grants you 1% elemental leech so i intended to make my skill pure fire
Skill Analysis
Spoiler
Before starting lets anlayse its tags:
Fire, projectile , Attack , AoE mellee
Fire - this skill had a 60% physical conversion to fire wich will finction well with the following passive nodes : Lava lash +30% more fire damage
Avatar of fire:50% more fire damage
Projectile:
As you swing your weapon balls of magma drop and doing damage
Provided you get enough attack speed you don't need LMP/greater Multiple projectile. Why?
you will end up doing super fast attacks! therefore you don't need that
Pasive nodes that will augument your projectile part Point blank and Iron Grip
Mellee you can use any melle weapon - but no facebreakers

The ideea behind this build
The ideea was to create a tanky and yet easy to play marauder that can easily dish out some dps while you clean up maps and farm for goodies. My weapon of choice is a 1H mace/scepter and a shiled. Remember i said it's gonna be tanky. so let's start

Leveling up
Spoiler

We start by rushing to one of the more important keystone: Rezolute technique
20 points Tree
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBxthYY1BQLv-iD18_458nL-8OvJ-krPIvqBhqHtIhVw2Rzrvt9zJyqQ==

40 points tree
We head up to the duelist starting area and we grab another keystone : iron grip
you can grab unwavering stance too if you wish to - that's up to you
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBxthYY1BQLv-iD18_458nL-8OvJ-krPIvqBhqHtIhVw2Rzrvt9zJyqXzZ6hj46xRxDjw6UjJ-NuhkoxpVYSGE75uDU99Y24TZZU1HfqvFbmk=

60 points - we rush thru the duelist strating area and we head towards Iron reflexes and Point Blank grabbing some life node and some defensive nodes
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBxthYY1BQLv-iD18_458nL-8OvJ-krPIvqBhqHtIhVw2Rzrvt9zJyqXzZ6hj46xRxDjw6UjJ-NuhkoxpVYSGE75uDU99Y24TZZU1HfqvFbmm-p9JNwA_V7WqTtkFOKimlW6_dDZAK_MVnoId2Sn1W-nRBpMKezacw

80 points-we head towards Avatar of fire and some mace nodes
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBxthYY1BQLv-iD18_458nL-8OvJ-krPIvqBhqHtIhVw2Rzrvt9zJyqXzZ6hj46xRxDjw6UjJ-NuhkoxpVYSGE75uDU99Y24TZZU1HfqvFbmm-p9JNwA_V7WqTtkFOKimlW6_dDZAK_MVnoId2Sn1W-nRBpMKezacwFCBQRxiRduesqlnzwBpmnq-N5K3ewZBVp4QaOOw4V-J35TKJBLMCcQ==

100 points tree we grab more life and some shiled block nodes
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBxthYY1BQLv-iD18_458nL-8OvJ-krPIvqBhqHtIhVw2Rzrvt9zJyqXzZ6hj46xRxDjw6UjJ-NuhkoxpVYSGE75uDU99Y24TZZU1HfqvFbmm-p9JNwA_V7WqTtkFOKimlW6_dDZAK_MVnoId2Sn1W-nRBpMKnMBQgUEcYkXbnrKpZ88AaZp6vjeSt3sGQVaeEGjjsOFfid-UyiQSzAnHwHxRNgzjvfKIAUea0L0E_8wagtPuq5FGsr3Tteu9gSwUt-tLnkcOGwQQ=

113 points - end game
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBxthYY1BQLv-iD18_458nL-8OvJ-krPIvqBhqHtIhVw2Rzrvt9zJyqXzZ6hj46xRxDjw6UjJ-NuhkoxpVYSGE75uDU99Y24TZZU1HfqvFbmm-p9JNwA_V7WqTtkFOKimlW6_dDZAK_MVnoId2Sn1W-nRBpMKnMBQgUEcYkXbnrKpZ88AaZp6vjeSt3sGQVaeEGjjsOFfid-UyiQSzAnHwHxRNgzjvfKIAUea0L0E_8wagtPuq5FGsr3Tteu9gSwUt-tLnkcOGwQQ26SSqGYXjanB9gFZPfVFga9kU9oY7EuEl3w==

Gem set-up and setting up defensive layers
Spoiler
Main attack Molten Strike
4Link Molten strike - Faster attacks - Multistrike - Weapon Elemental Damage
5link Molten strike- Faster attacks - Multistrike - Weapon Elemental damage - Mana leech
6 Link - Molten Strike - Faster attacks - Multistrike - Weapon Elemental damage - Mana leech - Mellee Physical Damage
Setting up trigger gems
Spoiler
For starters you will need two Cast when damage taken!
First one you will leave it to lvl 4 :Gems linked to it
-Enduring Cry
-Molten Shell
-Flammability or Enfeeble your choice
Second Cast when damage taken you will level it up to lvl 10 - 13 depeding on your health pool. Gems linked to it:
- immortall call
- increased duration
-and summon skeletons

Aura gems:
-Reduced Mana
-Vitality - optional
-Hatred
Utility Skills
Leap slam - with or without faster attacks
Smoke mine if you want to open those strong boxes safely

Curses
Walrord's mark - the downside is that you won't benefit the leech as you do only elemental damage
Why Warlord's mark?
it grants you at lvl 20 a 30% chance to gain an endurance charge from slain enemy. Plus you get 100% more flask charges - therefore spamming your flasks more often

Enfeeble or Flammability they both are good

Gearing UP
Spoiler

My current gear
Spoiler

A verry good option with this build is the belt called Meginord Girdle heavy belt due to the flat phys attack it gives other wise get a nice rustic sash with life weapon elemental damage life and rezists.
Shield
Aegis Aurora is a nice option tho it's not mandatory for the build.
A decent mix of Armour/evasion high block chance let's say 30% or more along side with some rezists will do just fine.
As for rings if you want to get dual curse set-up get a

Weapon.End game wise Doryani's Catalyst is insane almost doubling my dps!
on the other hand get a 250 or more dps mace/scepter with Attacks per second of atleast 1.4 APS or better
Amulet
Get stats - especially intelligence, some flat phys damage and maybe life and rezists
Atm i'm running a 90% rarity set-up to increase my map drops.

I hope you find my build useful and fun to play
Revert the loot changes. Remove the stupid archnemsis.
Last edited by Valooci on May 23, 2014, 4:03:52 PM
Why would you use the gem Melee Physical Damage when the ball projectiles are the main source of damage? And why no Life Leech? You gonna die in almost every fight unless you have a ton of leech from gear. Just noticed you are also spamming your 6L main attack skill off mana.

...can't tell if troll build or not...
Avatar of Fire doesn't work the way you think it does.

avatar of fire won't give 50% More damage it will convert the remaining 40% physical (leftover from molten strike) into fire.

This means all that leech you are counting on will not work. With AoF you have 100% fire damage Zero physical damage. No leech from gear, passives or warlord's mark will work since they require physical damage.

Also, Melee Physical Damage does not apply to the projectile portion. It will buff the hit (and therefore tolltip) but it will Not apply to the projectiles since it has the work 'melee'. Added fire or fire penetration would apply to both. Concentrated effect applies to only projectiles but provides a 'more' multiplier to them.
Pacific (GMT -8) Time
Last edited by Madcow1120 on May 19, 2014, 7:00:30 PM
"
SteamPoE2080 wrote:
Why would you use the gem Melee Physical Damage when the ball projectiles are the main source of damage? And why no Life Leech? You gonna die in almost every fight unless you have a ton of leech from gear. Just noticed you are also spamming your 6L main attack skill off mana.

...can't tell if troll build or not...

Well i didn't think about this i might change that melee phys for conc.effect. Also i'm running a dual curse set-up. Enfeeble on CWDT and Warlord's mark. As for Life Leech i have like 300 hp/s regen atm wich combined with the amount of leech you get from warlod's mark is more than enough. I spam the skill off mana thanks to mana leech gem. as for auras i use Hatred + vitality . And i never run out of mana
"
Madcow1120 wrote:
Avatar of Fire doesn't work the way you think it does.

avatar of fire won't give 50% More damage it will convert the remaining 40% physical (leftover from molten strike) into fire.

This means all that leech you are counting on will not work. With AoF you have 100% fire damage Zero physical damage. No leech from gear, passives or warlord's mark will work since they require physical damage.

Also, Melee Physical Damage does not apply to the projectile portion. It will buff the hit (and therefore tolltip) but it will Not apply to the projectiles since it has the work 'melee'. Added fire or fire penetration would apply to both. Concentrated effect applies to only projectiles but provides a 'more' multiplier to them.

I'm thinking to spec out of Aof and get an added fire gem or conc effect in the mix. As for the dude that says you'dd die and whatnot. Well i'm running 71-72 maps atm quite well without much of a problem. Well LMP/Gmp voidbears are eating me alive true but with a Stone of lazhwar that i think is not much of a problem. I designed this build to be a pure fire damage dealer. Also i have the Doriany's catalist scepter wich offer you 1% elemental leech
Last edited by Valooci on May 23, 2014, 3:51:04 PM
good thread for a first :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info