Where can I learn how to program/create games such as Path of Exile?

Recently graduated (yay! in a field that has nothing to do with computers though) and I now have a lot of spare time on my hands. I would like to learn some programming and have been googling around a bit. I really want to start creating my own indie games - maybe start out small and build up to something as big as PoE. Where do I begin? What programming language should I start with?
Beyond league.
"
Recently graduated (yay! in a field that has nothing to do with computers though) and I now have a lot of spare time on my hands. I would like to learn some programming and have been googling around a bit. I really want to start creating my own indie games - maybe start out small and build up to something as big as PoE. Where do I begin? What programming language should I start with?

probly java

it's a relatively well contained development environment that is very flexible despite what people will say about its performance. you'll get up to speed with things like object-oriented programming (oop), data structures, etc etc

then once you've got the hang of that you should leap up to c++ because pointers are THE SHIT but if you fuck up you get things like memory leaks and that is when a program starts allocating memory to weird locations or allocating too much memory when it should only be referencing one location so the computer laaaaaags that is bad. java doesn't have pointers and functions in a leak-proof "hermetic" environment so to speak

gl, if you need any pointers (HUEHUEHUEHUEUHEUH I MADE A PUNNY) feel free to post

my personal experience spans from personal projects to working on gang garrison 2 if you know what that is, i'm nowhere near 1337h4x script kiddie virtuoso though
Last edited by Juicebox360 on Mar 31, 2014, 4:53:59 PM
okay thanks a lot, do you know of any good sites or resources I could use to aid me in the process of learning? there are many out there and undoubtedly some will be easier than others, I have absolutely zero programming-experience aside from very basic auto-hotkey/macros.
Beyond league.
Lots of tutorials on youtube and other exotic locales, I started myself ( as a hobby ) with this c/c++ tutorial series. The beginner series is just that, for complete beginners who just barely know their way around a basic keyboard.

The guy who makes them doesn't take himself very seriously, if at all, wich actually helps a lot in creating a more relaxed atmosphere for learning shit. I also like the way he explains concepts like pointers, memory allocation, how the sofware interacts with hardware etc. Must recommend.

You may also want to take a look at Elynole's mammoth post from this thread.
You won't get no glory on that side of the hole.
Last edited by Upandatem on Mar 31, 2014, 6:10:33 PM
I would definately say c/c++. Its by far the most commonly used and most versatile language. Just about every piece of software of note is written in one of those two.
HAIL SATAN!
Do you need c++ experience to be able to use a game engine?

I read somewhere how somebody (who wasnt sober) made a flappy bird clone on cryengine lol
Dear GGG, please make Mac version
Some resources:

Especially take the "Finishing a game" blogpost to your heart. Written by the creator of Spelunky, a game recieving better critique than many triple A titles released in the same year. Don't bother creating/programming an own engine if your game will not need it. Also using most engines available on the market trains you in understanding logic needed for complex programming later on. It's like getting into programming using an automaton. :)

One might argue that you should create a full-fledged Game Design Document first, a paper displaying all details on feature which you plan to include in the final version of the game, which can be expanded upon. However many amateur designers prefer to jump into the cold water directly. A positive aspect of a GDD is that you can measure better what your engine you plan to use needs to be capable off. Also you might get an idea of how much assets you will be needed to create. Basically, you'll be able to plan ahead and create a schedule based upon it.

Finishing games is key. I consider it more important than learning a programming language in the beginning however you won't get around learning programming if you want to get into the biz unless you find yourself more suited with other tasks than programming while creating a game.

C++ is still the standard however their was great success with other programming languages aswell. EvE Online was created in Stackless Python for example. It doesn't hurt to start with an easier language like C# or Java first, even HTML 5 might be worth a look now. You see, the choice is great but not as important as the concept being supported by your choice.

You having an academic grade is a good prerequisite to get into an actual company, the field is not important, really. Publishers are sometimes accepting interns. You could start with cooking coffee and QA and then if you are getting the chance, jump into a field you are trained in by your own projects.
Last edited by Nightmare90 on Apr 5, 2014, 5:16:12 AM
Go to school and learn how to make games. Derp.
Remember when I won a screenshot contest and made everyone butt-hurt? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
"
Wraeclastian wrote:

He just left school and you want to throw him back in again? Go home!
You won't get no glory on that side of the hole.
"
Upandatem wrote:
"
Wraeclastian wrote:

He just left school and you want to throw him back in again? Go home!

Perhaps he should have thought about what career he wanted a bit earlier.
Remember when I won a screenshot contest and made everyone butt-hurt? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info