[1.1.x] Cursed General (Tri Totem Raging Spirit / Summoner)

"Do you want to be the Soldier? The Hero? Or do you want to command an Army?"

Build is tested and 'complete'.

Quick Videos to Show Gameplay:
- Cruel Dominus Kill (2:27) - Level 54
- Merciless Piety Kill (1:44) - Level 64

For those just starting PoE:
- This is a build / play style you can start fresh as your first character.
- Everything you need you get as you level.
- At the end I'll give you a basic guide on what to loot and such.
- While you can use anything as you level up, by following my loot suggestions you'll have more than enough currency to start trading for nice items (either for this build, or any other you've had your eye on).
- This play style is one that you can start using nearly immediately. As you level it just gets more awesome. (So this is not a style that you are waiting until late game to start playing)

Introduction:
- The Cursed General is my prefered play style.
- It is very, strategic. The game play feels more like you are commanding or defending from assaults. It is like a fast paced tower defense/assault style of play.
- This post will focus on my explanations of this play style and the development / tuning of it.
- This build focuses on raising LOTS of minions and using Totems.
- The primary stats of this build are STR / INT and Armor / Energy Shield.

Synergy:
- Summoners tend to focus on their minions for damage.
- A Summoner's nodes tend to be minion focused with the gear being defense focus.
- As a result, the Summoner does not do damage directly.
- Ancestral Bond (keystone) lets you cast 1 additional totem at the cost of doing no damage yourself.
- This synergizes extremely well with a summoner, who already is doing no damage directly.

Advantages of using Totems to Summon Raging Spirits:
Spoiler
Spell Totems have the following modifiers:
-50% Less Damage
-30% Less Cast Speed

3 Totems put out as much equivalent Ranging Spirits as a player standing still spamming the ability (1 totem = 35%, 2 = 70%, 3 = 105%).

The primary advantage is mobility, you can cast a totem and move on (such as avoiding AoE or rushing through trash). The totems at my level stay up nearly a minute, much longer than needed. On some fights I'll just keep running (such as fire storms coming after me) while the totems continue bringing death to the boss.

Next, is projection; you can cast a spell totem forward of your position or even through grates / over spaces. Your totem then casts RS on anything in its range. This allows you to project power.

Along with projection is focus fire. You can summon totems on top of things (like allies can not die totems or bosses) and they will focus fire it.

Then is collision. The totems act as a collidable object. You can use them to block entrances or prevent projectiles form hitting you (3 totems in a line will block a row of arches, then cast your Skeletons in front of the totems and profit).

Last is, well they are expendable. On some bosses I spam totems and the bosses keep them dead (not before they get off 2-3 spirits). Bosses end up dead and you don't.

What is the damage like? - (16k - 23k constant DPS supported by 22k variable DPS)
Spoiler
- Please refer to this GGG Reddit Post with information on minion DPS numbers.
- Your primary and very consistent source of damage comes from your Raging Spirits.
- This damage has very high up time and quickly adjusts between AoE and ST.
- 3 Totems keep 24 Raging Spirits up for 23.0k DPS.
- 2 Totems (for Dual Totem or Tri with a Regen) put out 16.1k DPS.
- 1 Totem (for Dual Totem with a Regen) puts out 8.0k DPS.

- Secondary Damage (less reliable) comes from your other minions (Zombie, Skeleton, Spectre).
- Each of 8 Zombies put out 1,643 DPS for 13.1k DPS. They will have ~ 6k life.
- Skeletons (12) put out 781 DPS for a total of 9.4k DPS. They will have ~3k life and do 1k aoe damage when they die. You can typically maintain 2 per second this way.
- Spectres (2) have a wide DPS range (and no firm numbers) depending on the type you are using. I will not include their contribution in my discussion of DPS.
- All together, you get 23k DPS constant from Raging Spirits, and an additional 22k DPS variable from your other minions.

- Please note, auras that add damage are EXTREMELY effective with this build.
- Raging Spirits deal 0.7 effective attacks per second each (17).
- Zombies deal 0.75 effective attacks per second (4).
- Skeletons deal 1.1 effective attacks per second (13).
- You can see how adding 120 damage per hit (220 with minion damage nodes) to 34 hits per second can add 7-8k DPS.

Skills Used:
Spoiler

Raging Spirit (4) and Spell Totem (31):
- Until Level 31 you will be the one spamming Raging Spirit. After that you'll let your totems handle this task.
- You need to be able to spam this, so until Spell Totem only add supports if you can still spam with the higher cost.
- We will support Raging Spirt / Spell Totem with (Minion Damage - 19)(Increased Duration - 24)(Faster Casting - 31)
- Eventually you will 5 link this on a chest (RBBB and a R/B)
- Discussion on Raging Spirit:
Spoiler
Raging Spirit (Primary DPS)
- This minion ignores collision and most terrain (usually only limited by walls).
- They attack whatever is close to them, and then move on.
- With 21 of these out, this creates a very effective AoE AND Single Target attack.
- Focus Fire (such as on enemy totems or those annoying allies can't die bosses) is achieved by summoning your totem directly on top of the target. This minion will continue attacking that target for the duration of the skull.
- You can take a defensive position near your totems, as each new minion will attack anything near that position, making it unlikely that you will get attacked.
- Support this skill with as many links as possible (spell totem, cast speed, minion damage, increased duration) along with any other supports you may have around (such as fire damage / penetration).
- You will only spam this to start a fight, during a fight you won't be recast much. (Before you get your spell totem, you will be spamming this and thus you may need to remove some supports so you can constantly spam it)
- Please note, melee splash is not recommended. While it makes its own LoL moments when your 21 raging spirits instagib a large group of mobs, the nature of Raging Spirits allows them to adapt easily from AoE to Single Target, making this support gem not needed.

- Discussion on Spell Totem:
Spoiler
Spell Totem (Primary DPS)
- This is for your Raging Spirits (or any DPS totem until you get this, such as searing bond, flame totems, and such).
- Totems have collision, so if you cast 2-3 of them in a door they will block it. Great to then cast your skeletons in front of the blocked door, and then recast a totem to allow your zombies through the door.
- Totems can be attacked, but if supported by an army of skeletons this should be minimal.

Summon Zombie (1):
- We will support this with (Minion Damage - 19)(Minion Life - 12)(Any other Support)
- As we will eventually be 4 linking this, Head/Gloves/Boots are good places to place it.
- Anything with + Level of Minions should go to your Zombies first.
- You won't be spamming this, so feel free to make it cost as much as you like.
- Discussion on Summon Zombie:
Spoiler
Summon Zombie (Primary Support)
- These guys are your primary companions. They give that extra buffer of being 8 more targets at the start of the fight, while you lay down 3 totems and 11 Skeletons.
- They also act as a meat wall, blocking movement of enemy forces.
- You'll support them with as many links as you can muster (Minion Life, Minion Damage) along with whatever you have lying around (added damage or health taps).
- You won't be spamming this, so feel free to make it cost a lot of power.
- You mostly just want them alive as long as possible, so pick supports for defense / life over damage.

Summon Skeletons (10):
- We will be supporting this with (Minion Life -12)(Minion Speed - 24)
- We need to be able to always spam this, so only support it if you can support the spam.
- 3 Links is all that we need, so your 1h weapon or shield are good places for this.
- Discussion on Summon Skeletons:
Spoiler
Summon Skeletons (Primary Defense)
- This is your wall, a moveable, exploding, wall of bone.
- During a fight, you will make sure you have the max number of skeletons up (summon replacements of these before replacing Zombies).
- Just like your totems, if you summon these on top of a target, they will focus fire it.
- Don't forget, they serve you in death just as well as in life; they explode.
- Support these with whatever gems you like (I do Speed / Life).
- Speed / Life will make sure they get to your target before they explode.
- This is a spell you will be spamming on tough fights, so make sure you can cover the powercost (remove supports if necessary).
- Cast these at choke points (doors) or in front of your totems (to defend a forward position) or on yourself (to create a fortified safe area).

Summon Spectre (19):
- We will support this with (Minion Damage - 19)(Minion Life - 12)
- As this will be sharing an item with another skill, we want a 4 link. Head/Gloves/Hands are a good place for this.
- Discussion on Summon Spectre:
Spoiler
Summon Spectre (Primary Modifier)
- This skill is your, hahaha button. If you find an enemy mob that made your life difficult, after they die make them fight for you.
- I prefer using ranged mobs as they tend to last forever when they stand back by you.
- Support this skill with as many supports as you can (you won't be casting this much).
- I'll sometimes use this and Skeletons in the same item supported by life / damage.
- Mobs that cast stuff (such as shoot Ice, or curses) are especially useful here.

Vaal Summon Skeletons (10):
- We will support this with (Minion Damage - 19)(Minion Life - 12)
- This will go into the same item as your Summon Spectre so that they can share the supports.
- Discussion on Vaal Summon Skeletons:
Spoiler
UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Clarity (10) and Discipline (31):
- We will support these with (Reduced Mana - 31)
- Discussion on Auras:
Spoiler
Auras
- Clarity is a huge boon to this build (can add more supports to spam).
- You don't want to constantly level this up (each level it will take a bit more power reserve).
- Only level this when you are no longer able to spam skills, depending on gear this may allow you to run a second Aura and still have enough left over power to spam.
- Support this with Reduced Mana
- Also throw in any other auras you are able to run. Things like added damage (Wrath, Anger) or Defense (Discipline, Purity of Elements), or whatever you happen to have lying around will help.
- If the Aurora reserves a percent of power (such as 60%), always level it. If it is a fixed amount (such as 120 power) then only level it when you can afford to do so.

Rejuvenation Totem (19):
- This skill has no supports.
- Once you hit level 45 you can find a nice Unset Ring to place this in. Don't worry about the color as it takes very few Chromatic Orbs to change it.
- Until then, throw this into whatever gear it will fit in.
- It may not look like it, but this is a priority spell.
- Discussion on Rejuvenation Totem:
Spoiler
Healing (for CI)
- Rejuvenating Totem is great to top off minions or cast when there are poison clouds (the life regen typically offsets the cloud damage).

Cast on Stun (24):
- We will support this with (Enfeeble - 19)(Molten Shell - 10)(Flesh Offering - 24)
- As we will be using 3 spells linked to this, a 4 link from your Helm/Gloves/Boots will be needed.
- Discussion on Cast when Stunned:
Spoiler
Cast on Stun (Reactive Defense and Offense)
- With a CI build, it is nearly every hit that gives you a mini, (you'll hear your char so Oh! stun. This with 3 linked abilities makes very active procs if you mess up!
- Molten Shell gives you a bunch of extra armor; and considering we have several armor nodes this is a no brainer.
- Enfeeble will give whoever hit you a nice curse to lower their ability to hit / damage you again.
- Those two are standard, what is not is... Flesh Offering!
- This makes being hit so much more satisfying as not only do you get a massive spike in damage, your horde moves much faster; this gets them into defensive positions better.
- I can't express how awesome it is, to get hit once, and all your minions take it personally.
- Another advantage with these 3 linked is you get a nice graphic when you get hit, just in case you were not watching your ES.

Gear:
Spoiler
Your primary gear focus is on anything that gives something to your minions.
Next, your focus is on any defense stats (getting resists to 75%, as much Armor / Energy Shield as possible).
That's it! Gearing is simple.

Tri Totem:

By time you are level 50, you will have more than enough currency to grab this nice piece of gear. It is not necessary, but it puts the TRI in Tri Totem.
When looking at this, keep in mind that it includes the spell totem, so a 4 link functions as a 5 link. You'll want to start with a 4 link (any colors) for ~ 5-8c. You'll then use your chromatic orbs that you've saved up to make this 3 blue and 1 red (or 2 blue 2 red).

It also puts the Cursed in Cursed General. Essentially, you'll get a random curse every time a totem dies (even from summoning a 4th totem, which kills 1 totem). To negate this, at least one of your flasks should have the Warding flag on them (removes all curses / makes you immune to curses for the duration). You'll start a fight, cast 3 totems, hit your flask and watch everything die!

Flasks:
Spoiler
For your flasks there are a few key things you are looking for.
- Before CI, set up 3 or 4 life flasks and 1 or 2 mana flasks.
- After CI, you still only need 1 or 2 mana flasks. The important part is removing status, so health actually is a great option still.

Important Suffixes are:
- Dousing (Dispels Burning)
- Heat (Dispels Freeze and Chill)
- Warding (Removes Curses)
- Staunching (Removes Bleeding)
- Grounding (Removes Shock)

Important Prefixes are:
- While leveling you'll want whatever gives you the most per use (to health or mana).
- At end game you are looking for whatever gets you the most uses (remove status) per charge/flask.
- Perpetual / Ample do good things.
- Hallowed Life Flasks are my favorite as they only take 10 charges and can hold up to 50 with the Ample flag. Great for removing status (even if you are CI).

Chaos Inoculation:
ANYTHING THAT REMOVES HEALTH WILL KILL YOU (Caustic is very bad)

Keep for a rainy day:
You'll want to duplicate your flask set up (Prefixes and Suffixes) for all 3 elements and armor/chaos:
- Ruby for Fire
- Sapphire for Cold
- Topaz for Lightning
- If not CI then Amethyst for Chaos
- Granite for Physical

I also like to keep a Quartz as well for panicked situations. You running through them and they getting blocked by your minions / totems is very helpful.

Example Normal Bar:
- Ample Hallowed Life Flask of Dowsing
- Ample Hallowed Life Flask of Heat
- Ample Hallowed Life Flask of Staunching
- Perpetual Hallowed Life Flask of Warding
- Ample Sanctified Mana Flask of Grounding

Example Cold Boss Bar:
- Ample Sapphire Flask of Heat
- Perpetual Hallowed Life Flask of Warding
- Ample Sanctified Mana Flask of Heat

Swap Weapon/Shield and Quality Gems:
Spoiler

A lot of summoners 'snapshot' where you can summon things with a bunch of mods, then change your gear/gem set up to something useful for running around.
- I dislike the break in game play / time to set it up. So I do not follow this justifiable practice.
- Instead, I use my swap 1H/Shield for leveling duplicate gems. You can use 1 glassblower's bubble and 1 level 20 gem to make it a Quality 20 Level 1 Gem.

Those 6 slots can be used to keep duplicate gems leveled / re leveled so you can get yourself some quality 20 gems. There is not much from gear that can increase your damage output, so getting Quality 20, Level 20 Gems will be your route to improve your character end game.

High Priority Quality Gems:
- Minion Damage (Raging Spirit) gets a 15% increase in Damage. High priority.
- Faster Casting (Raging Spirit) gets 10% increased cast speed. High priority.
- Increased Duration (Raging Spirit) gets 10% increased duration. High priority.

Medium Priority Quality Gems:
- Raging Spirit gets a 20% increase to Movement Speed. Medium priority.
- Raise Zombie gets 20% Movement Speed and Life. Middle priority.
- Minion Speed gets 15% movement speed. Middle priority.
- Minion Life (Zombie/Spectre/Skeleton) gets a 15% increase in Life. Medium priority.
- Discipline (and any damage/defense aura) gets 20% increased area of effect. Medium priority.
- Reduced Mana gets 10% reduced mana cost. Medium priority.
- Enfeeble gets 15% reduced Accuracy Rating. Medium priority.
- Flesh Offering gets 10% increased duration. Medium priority.

Low Priority Quality Gems:
- Minion Damage (Zombie/Spectre) gets a 15% increase in Damage.
- Summon Skeletons (x1) gets 15% more damage. Low priority.
- Raise Spectre (x1) gets 30% Movement Speed. Low priority.
- Vaal Summon Skeletons (x1) gets 15% increased damage. Low priority.
- Clarity (x1) gets 20% increased area of effect. Low priority.
- Rejuvenation Totem (x1) gets 30% more life. Low priority.
- Cast when Stunned (x1) gets 10% more damage. Low priority.
- Molten Shell (x1) gets 30% chance to catch things on fire. Low priority.

My gear at 63 as a point of reference:
Spoiler
Zombies:

They are now in a +2 helm with dmg/life/fire linked. With all the minion nodes, they rarely die on anything but massive boss fights.

Skeletons:

I've changed them to Life / Speed. With the added speed and life, they really can get to their target better and better defend.
On bosses that instant gib lots of things, these skeletons have enough life and move fast enough to actually get in melee range so when they explode, they do nice damage.
I also find myself casting them much less on trash as they can keep up.

Spectre now shares Vaal Skeletons!

Still linked with Damage/Life.
The Vaal Skeletons are just, awesome. Picture a massive boss fight with 30 of these, 24 raging spirits, 8 Zombies and 12 Skeletons (oh, and 2 spectre). And then I get hit and proc Flesh Offering. This is what the Cursed General is about!

Reactive (Cast on Stun)

This is rather standard stuff, minus the Flesh Offering.
Your minions taking you getting hit personally is really gratifying.

Rejuvenating Totem

Moved this to its own slot as it needs no linking.
Now that I am CI, having this becomes really nice. It essentially acts likes a flask for your Energy Shield.
Before CI, it negated most life damage (such as poison clouds) and get the army through fire and such. It is a key part of the build now.

Of Course, Tri Totem / Raging Spirits:

Nothing has changed here, still looking forward to saving up for a 5L

Discipline and Clarity:

Got my power figured out enough to get my second Aura (along with the nodes).

The other stuff:

Passive Skill Trees and Leveling (Witch Start):
Spoiler

Level 19-20 (around the time you are doing your first set of quests in Act 2 Normal)
23 Points - Witch Start
- You can now equip a Rejuvenation Totem. You'll only get this as a drop; so if you don't have it yet I recommend you pick it up for ~10 Orbs of Alteration.
- This becomes your primary totem until you pick up a Spell Totem / Dual Totem

Level 27 (about the time you enter Act III on Normal):
30 Points - Minion Instability
- With this Keystone, you can now use your Skeletons as 'Bombers'. Casting them on bosses that insta gib them will cause that boss to 'kill itself' on the explosions of your dead.

Level 33-35 (around the time you kill Piety on Normal):
39 Points - Dual Totem
- At this point you can now equip Dual Totems along with the Spell Totem (Level 31). You do get the spell totem as a quest reward (around level 40), however they can typically be had for ~10 Orbs of Alteration. Picking it up for the Dominus fight is recommended.

Level 43 (about the time you finish the side quests on Act 2 in Cruel)
52 Points - Auras and Minions
- Here you add to your ability to support a second aura (so you can do Clarity and Discipline) in anticipation of swapping to Chaos Inoculation later.
- You also expand your Army and add some much needed minion regen/leach.

Level 51-52 (around the time you kill Piety on Cruel)
64 Points - Chaos Inoculation / Zealot's Oath
- Here you make the transition to Chaos Inoculation / Zealot's Oath.
- You'll want to have 2 points available and pick both of these at the same time (after killing Piety you get a book with 2 skill points, a perfect time to transition).
- You'll also want to make sure that your gear can support this. Your ES should be ~ 2x your life at this point. If you need to, delay these keystones until you are ready.
- Getting these two key stones is important to living through Merciless.
- This is also a great time to decide to pick up Soul Mantle (level 49) and at least one Flask of Warding (removes curses). You can expect to pay ~10c for the Soul Mantle. If you've followed my loot guidance, you'll likely have enough by this level. Take a look at the Exile Stats for currency exchange rates. A few stacks of Alteration and Chromatic Orbs should offset the 2-3c you've likely already found.
- Try for a 3-4 link mantle to start (Damage, Duration, Cast Speed. As this is an INT based item, getting 3 blue and 1 red will only take a few Chromatic Orbs; so you can mostly ignore the colors of the mantle you purchase.

Level 60 (Starting Act III on Merciless)
78 Points - Minion Master
- You'll grab Faith and Steel first for the defense; and then spend the rest of your time fleshing out all your minion nodes.
- At this point, you are really enjoying life as all the 'key players' are out.

Level 67 (Dominus on Merciless)
85 Points - Starting Maps
- This puts us at 'End Game' where we grab a few more items to shore up our defense before killing Dominus and moving into Maps.
- Elemental Adaptation to get our resists above the 75% cap.
- Then Infused Shield and Arcane Focus for the Energy Shield
- Keep in mind, most of our defense comes from playing the game right (player skill using all the minions and such along with a regen totem for Energy Shield). You should have enough 'buffer' to survive one or two mistakes. This is not a tanking build.

Level 75 (Build Complete)
93 Points - Final Build
- At this point you are done. Level 75 and call it a day.
- Your last points are pushing for Leadership followed by Influence to support your Auras.

Fantasy
120 Points - Fantasy Build
- Body and Soul should be your playing forever target at 99 Points.
- Then your remaining 8% Energy Shield and Aura Effect Nodes at 102 points.
- Next your Unnatural Calm at 104 Points.
- The rest is your 6% Energy Shield / 8% Armor Nodes; your 6% Energy Shield Nodes; and your 10% reduced cooldown nodes.
- At the end Cast Speed is all you'll have left.

Loot Guidance while leveling:
Spoiler
Transmutation Orbs - Turns White items into Blue items
* You get these by selling unidentified items and are common drops.
* Selling 1 Transmutation Orb gives you 4 wisdom scrolls.
* Only loot Blue items if they may be upgrades, or if you need more wisdom scrolls (4 link Red/Blue as an example).
* Consider only looting blue rings/amulets/belts/flasks to save space.
* At some point, you'll likely stop looting blue all together.

Quality Items - Increases quality of items
* Selling a combined quality of 40% for an item type (Armour, Weapon, Flask, Map, Gem) gives you an item that can be used to increase the quality of that item type.
* Selling a single Quality 20% item does the same thing.
* Loot all Quality Flasks and Gems to convert to Glassblower and Gemcutter Prisms.
* Loot Quality Weapons and Armors as needed to keep a stock of Armourer's Scraps and Blacksmith's Whetstones (if you are lucky on boxes, you'll likely skip looting most quality items).
* Unless you know what you are doing, only apply these to White Items

Gems - Skill Gems
* Loot all Gems, especially passive Gems
* Consider placing Gems in the sockets of your loot if you need the extra few slots
* Check the market on passive gems and any quality gem before converting to other currency.

Looting:
- Loot all Yellow and Orange Items
- Loot all items that link the 3 colors together (R, G, B) and sell for Chromatic Orbs
- Loot all 5 Link, 6 Link, and 6 Socket Items (Sell the 6 Socket, Trade the 5L and 6L Items)

Identify:
* Identify all items that you pick up
- Keep Yellow Items if they look powerful, otherwise vendor them for currency.
- Bank all Orange Items and do a bit of research later to see if they are worth something.

Stashing:
- Stash all currency items, keep 1/2 stack of Portal and Wisdom Scrolls on you.
- Using the CTRL Button, every now and then transfer all Currency Items into your inventory and then back to your stash. This will stack them back up (for all the fragments).

Hoarding:
* As you level up, lean towards keeping your currency rather than applying it to an item.

Chaos Orbs
* Keep level 60 and higher Rare items (especially Rings/Amulets) to make full rare sets to sell the vendor in exchange for Chaos Orbs.
* You can trade 16-20 Alts for a Chaos.

Is my Yellow/Orange any good?
* Slots / Links - If your item has the max linked slots then yes, it is good and you want to keep it to sell later or use. 1H/Shield = 3, Boots/Helm/Gloves = 4, Body/2H = 6
* Resists - If it has + to all resistances, and/or dual/tri resistance; and added all up they are more than 80, then yes it is good. You'll want to keep your own reserve of these items as you tune your gear (so if you drop resistance on an item you can swap in some other).
* Themed - Does it look like it was made for a class? Picture a bow with a bunch of +elemental damage mods or a shield with a bunch of blocking and defense. If it is all mixed then it is less likely to be 'that piece' someone is looking for.
* Max Modifiers - check the Item Affix page and look at all the modifiers. An example is a weapon that has 169% physical damage. People want this; especially if it has the max links and all the other mods are related to damage.

(1.1.x) Cursed General (Tri Totem Raging Spirit / Summoner)
(www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/854534)
General Looting Advice for New Players
(www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/827994)
Last edited by MaddBomber83 on Mar 27, 2014, 1:31:12 PM
Reserved

Change Log
Spoiler
3/25/14 - Revised Gear Section
3/25/14 - Added Merciless Piety Kill
3/24/14 - Updated the DPS Section
3/24/14 - Updated the Skills Used Section
3/24/14 - Updated the Passive Skill Tree and Leveling section
3/24/14 - Quick update to introduce my current build at 80 points (Version 2.0 In Progress); Also added some information for reactive defense / offense.
3/23/14 - Added a Video (Cruel Dominus Kill)
3/22/14 - Initial Post

Last edited by MaddBomber83 on Mar 25, 2014, 12:39:50 PM
Well, brought this build at level 54 into Dominus on Cruel and downed him on the first attempt.

Fight lasted 2:30. I'll have the video posted in a day or so to give a general idea of a boss fight with this.

For this fight, anticipating some blood rain issues, I ran with 2 Raging Spirit Totems supported by a Life Regeneration Totem. Worked very well.
Last edited by MaddBomber83 on Mar 22, 2014, 6:48:10 PM
First video uploaded. Cruel Dominus Kill

I've also leveled up to 57 (Act II, Merciless) and still moving strong.
Raging spirits are up to 24.
I'll be making a few slight adjustments to the build after some testing.

Original Post not updated yet.

Totems re-worked, the only node needed looks like the Keystone for the +1 Totem.
- With the army as backup, totem life / defense is not an issue so far.
- + Totem Damage Nodes don't support the Summon Raging Spirits
- Totem Cast Speed (for player) is not an issue.
- Reaching for the last group of totem passives for the extra cast speed (player) / defense is not needed.

Auras take the place of the totem nodes to increase damage / defense.
- Picking up 3 Aura Nodes to increase area by 42% (raging spirits are often out of range with no increase); Aura Effect by 62% and mana reserve reduced by 26% (this build enjoys amplified aura output due to all the minions).

There are a couple easy nodes along the way to grab (such as Conduit to share charges).

Also, progression is being tweaked as adding defense earlier than Act III Merciless is needed.
since Raging Spirits attack fast, I'd recommend trying to use wrath and anger, and get the aura passives instead of all the totem nodes, aura passives are closer and may give more damage (and mana).
I would also try to fit multristrike, pretty good on zombies and skellies, should be awesome on raging spirits aswell.
And Flesh Offering with Increased duration obviously...

edit: ok, I didn't read your last post, only the original post and the tree... I see you already changed your mind about auras.
PoE forums ignore list script:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/162657

0.4: added "ignore" button. ignore list is now saved locally.
Last edited by kodr on Mar 23, 2014, 6:02:25 PM
I like the idea behind this build and my current RIP on invasion gives me a new chance to try. Are you playing this standard of HC ? Thanks !
Interesting.

I always was thinking of making an expendable minion type build. What are the advantages of spell toteming the raging spirit as oppose to self cast? Your losing 50% damage on top of their 70% damage effectiveness with damage auras.

This definitely seems like the type I would use on hardcore. Super safe and minimizing contact with any monster.
Necronomicon: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1617098
Build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/409940
Summoner Dischord: https://discord.gg/XwWdSUa
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/zhoukon
New Gear / Gem Setup:
Spoiler

Zombies:

They are now in a +2 helm with dmg/life/fire linked. With all the minion nodes, they rarely die on anything but massive boss fights.

Skeletons:

I've changed them to Life / Speed. With the added speed and life, they really can get to their target better and better defend.
On bosses that instant gib lots of things, these skeletons have enough life and move fast enough to actually get in melee range so when they explode, they do nice damage.
I also find myself casting them much less on trash as they can keep up.

Spectre now shares Vaal Skeletons!

Still linked with Damage/Life.
The Vaal Skeletons are just, awesome. Picture a massive boss fight with 30 of these, 24 raging spirits, 8 Zombies and 12 Skeletons (oh, and 2 spectre). And then I get hit and proc Flesh Offering. This is what the Cursed General is about!

Reactive (Cast on Stun)

This is rather standard stuff, minus the Flesh Offering.
Your minions taking you getting hit personally is really gratifying.

Rejuvenating Totem

Moved this to its own slot as it needs no linking.
Now that I am CI, having this becomes really nice. It essentially acts likes a flask for your Energy Shield.
Before CI, it negated most life damage (such as poison clouds) and get the army through fire and such. It is a key part of the build now.

Of Course, Tri Totem / Raging Spirits:

Nothing has changed here, still looking forward to saving up for a 5L

Discipline and Clarity:

Got my power figured out enough to get my second Aura (along with the nodes).

The other stuff:

The damage is just melting through bosses right now. I'm looking forward to posting a video of the last two fights (Piety and Dominus).
Last edited by MaddBomber83 on Mar 25, 2014, 12:41:18 PM
"
kilthas84 wrote:
I like the idea behind this build and my current RIP on invasion gives me a new chance to try. Are you playing this standard of HC ? Thanks !

Standard (invasion).

I'm too inexperienced right now to try out Hardcore; but it is on my list.

The next poster was also talking about Hardcore and defense, so I'll elaborate in a quote on him.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info