Detonate Dead/Cold Witch Build with Dyadus

Basic premise is your standard desecrate/DD attack using Dyadus to forgo the "Chance to Ignite" gem. The change to desecrate was great because now you don't need to have a +gem level item for it. Dyadus also gives you 40% increased burning damage when you have chilled your enemies, so I incorporate Cold Snap and a totem with Arctic Breath/GMP for the defensive and offensive bonus. The build includes a ton of damage (fire/elemental/dot/burning), health, high physical and spell block, and EB.

Build:

Dominus Kill Video (with Tabula Rasa drop :D):
Spoiler
Note: There is a death in phase 2 due to stupidity. Killed Dom dozens of times since with no deaths. http://youtu.be/7kxPnJe77qc

Important Uniques:

And to help meet the high strength requirement for Dyadus, I use Lioneye's Paws. Goal is to eventually replace with Rainbowstries once I hit a few more STR nodes

Ignite:

The main goal of this build is to use other sources for chance to ignite than Chance to Ignite gem which offers +44% chance to ignite on hit. Right now I'm also using quality burn damage which adds up to 10% , but that means I have to drop Conc. Effect or Inc AOE (swapping Con. Effect in on bosses). I'll probably drop it once I get my armor GBBBRR. So here's what my ignite chance should end up as.

Dyadus: +25%
Blaze: +5%

Total: 30% on hit (44% with Flammability curse) and 5.8% from crits.

Gemming:

lvl 1 Q20 Detonate Dead
lvl 20 Fire Penetration
lvl 20 Life Leech
lvl 20 Concentrated Effect
lvl 20 Elemental Proliferation
lvl 20 Increased AOE OR Increased Burning Damage

Cold Snap > Elemental Prolif > Inc. AOE > Increased Crit Chance
Arctic Breath > Spell Totem > GMP > Faster Casting

Defenses:

Defenses mostly come from high life (238%), block (+21% block chance, 103% applies to spells), and frost skills. Cold Snap, Arctic Breath/GMP/Fast Casting totem, and frost wall keep enemies slowed, frozen, and off of you. Chilled enemies also take more burning dmg due to Dyadus. Build lacks any armor or evasion nodes, so that is one drawback.

Running Arctic Armor at level 9 currently.

Frost wall is really nice. You can keep enemies off of you or your totem. You can use it to keep enemies from running past your desecrate corpses.

My block is currently 46% for attacks and 47% for spells. I like Rathpith for general purposes, but I do have a Saffell's Flame that I can sub in if I'm going up against a lethal caster. With SF spell block is right under the cap (74%) and resistances are 82%.
Last edited by abbarnes on Mar 16, 2014, 5:15:17 PM
Interesting idea to use Dyadus in this way, though I think the drop off in ignite chance by not using the gem is a very large drawback. I also don't understand why you scale the cold damage in your passive tree instead of fire damage. Your 6L is a fire skill, and Detonate Dead does so much more damage than Cold Snap and Arctic Breath, so why scale the latter skills? AB has an auto chill effect that would proc the extra damage from Dyadus without any cold passives. Also, when I click on your skill tree I only see 183% increased max life, maybe the higher number in your OP was pre-scion life wheel nerf?
Last edited by dessloc on Mar 9, 2014, 1:54:30 PM
Yea, I posted the wrong build lol. Definitely wouldn't use cold damage nodes. Had another build opened up in a tab without realizing it and copied that URL.

Should be correct now.

Last edited by abbarnes on Mar 9, 2014, 5:52:22 PM
"
dessloc wrote:
I think the drop off in ignite chance by not using the gem is a very large drawback.

I haven't noticed any difficulty in ability to ignite with Dyadus, Blaze, and 4% ignite from Q8 increased burning damage.

Updated with Dominus kill. Aside from running out of pots and dying to corrupted blood, fight went really easy. Enemies before Dominus pretty much die instantly.
This. Is. A. Thing. Of. Beauty.

Very very nice! :D

And agreed that there's no need for the ignite gem, Dyadus was made intentionally to remove the need for that :)
"
abbarnes wrote:
"
dessloc wrote:
I think the drop off in ignite chance by not using the gem is a very large drawback.

I haven't noticed any difficulty in ability to ignite with Dyadus, Blaze, and 4% ignite from Q8 increased burning damage.

I found a cheap Dyadus on sale to try it out. I must say that I was wrong in thinking that the lower chance to ignite by not using the gem would be a material factor. It works really well. Kudos for the creative use of Dyadus in a detonate dead build.
Last edited by dessloc on Mar 16, 2014, 3:04:47 PM
"
dessloc wrote:
"
abbarnes wrote:
"
dessloc wrote:

I found a cheap Dyadus on sale to try it out. I must say that I was wrong in thinking that the lower chance to ignite by not using the gem would be a material factor. It works really well. Kudos for the creative use of Dyadus in a detonate dead build.

You've both convinced me. I'm going to do the same for my detonate dead build as well! :D
Currently level 80 and the build is doing well. Upgraded boots and now I'm at 4.5k Life. Running arctic armor @level 17. 46% block, 47% spell block.

Eventually I'd like to get my hands on

"
The Taming
Prismatic Ring
Requires Level 30
(8 to 10)% to all Elemental Resistances
15% increased Elemental Damage with Weapons
+(10 to 15)% to all Elemental Resistances
15% increased Elemental Damage
5% chance to Freeze, Shock and Ignite
10% increased damage per Freeze, Shock and Ignite on enemy
It's been a while, but I've made a quick video just discussing your build abbarnes :)

http://youtu.be/TmcFKep15qA

if you're interested :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info