CI Melee Shocker (Double Strike + CoC + Arc + Spark) Crit Build

Hi!
This is my first guide, so it will take some time to get all the stuff together. But I am trying my best to update it. What is this build about? I wanted to get the feeling of a melee build, but I wanted something different besides melee splash + phys Dmg. Here comes Cast on Crit into play.
This build offers a decent survivability, kind of a unique way to leech and to gain power charges and a different skill setup for Cast on Crit. This build is not relying on power Charges, it works without them. This is just a bonus to boost the Damage.
Why do I call him Shocker? Well, that’s simple because I wanted to build a melee char relying on lightning Damage who can nonstop shock the enemies to gain more damage.

Why do I use Spark and Arc and not Shock Nova or Storm Call?
Spoiler
Storm Call is just too slow. Till the time it triggers, most mobs are already dead, especially in Groups.
Shock Nova was quite good, I played with it for a long time and it worked pretty well, but the killing speed of Arc + Spark is way higher, especially against bosses and because of the deadzone, the survivability with Arc is much better.

Gems
Spoiler
Double Strike (1) + Multistrike (20) + Cast on Crit (20) + Spark (20) + Arc (20) + Increase Critical DMG (20)
Cast when DMG taken (2) + Conductivity (5) + Critical Weakness (5)
Tempest Shield (20) + Added Lightning DMG (20) + Power Charge on Crit (20) + Life Leech (20)
Discipline (20) + Reduced Mana (20) + Faster Attack (20) + Whirling Blades (1)

Order of Importance (Quality Gems):
Spoiler

Double Strike – more Attack Speed
Cast on Crit – increased Critical Strike Chance
Power Charge on Critical – higher Chance to proc
Life Leech – increased Life Leech Rate
Critical Weakness – more extra DMG
Tempest Shield – more Lightning DMG = more Leech
Increased Crit DMG – more Damage (I rated it as the last one, because you need the 6-link for it)

Passive Tree
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYBBX0F-Q5ID8QRLxGWE54V1xXwGdUa2xutHdkegST9J6kqWyy_Mww2PTt8O-E94kcGSO5LjU-_UUdWY1bqWqZd8l9qY0NtGXBScFZw1XWKeK59dX4zf8aGrohCiGuLeow2jb-QG5oTmyado6Kjo4qkkacrpzS0OLVItve307jKuXzAUcHFwfPC7MNtzerTftQF1QDVT9bR14bXy9vU3Mfed9724vfjhOUZ51TndOjW6f7rFOtj7BjyHfLh-WP79fyr_iv-uv8c_94=

I am not quite sure about my last 3 Points. I’ve used them for Haste and Projectile Damage at the moment. Maybe I will switch them towards Spell-Damage in the Witch Area or more ES / ES Recovery. Not really sure yet. Or I will try to get Ballistic Mastery to boost my spark Damage a bit more.
For a Shock Nova Build I would recommend to use this last 3 Points to get Blast Radius.
If you want more survivability you can also try to get more block chance.

Gear
Spoiler

Dagger
- High Crit Chance (needed) (at least 8%+)
- Global Crit Chance + Crit Chance for Spells (needed) (at least 50%+)
- Crit Multiplier (bonus)
- Spell – DMG (bonus)
Shield
- Global Crit Chance + Crit Chance for Spells (needed) (at least 50%+)
- ES (needed)(highest as possible / 260+ is a good start)
- Resistance (should be at least 1 on it)
- Crit Multiplier (bonus)
- Spell – DMG (bonus)

Boots
- Resistance
- ES (preferable 130+)
- Mana

Jewellery
- Resistance
- Accuracy (the higher, the better but at least around 180)
- Crit Chance / Crit Multiplier
- Strength 35 (you will need it in the late game for Reduced Mana / Life Leech (109 str req / Level 20)

I have played a long time with a Dual Curse Setup, if you want to try it. You will need
But keep in Mind it's way harder to Cap the Resistance.

My Gear:
Spoiler

Showcase Videos - just some short showcasing, how it looks and how it works. More real footage will be added.

Feel free to ask questions or give me some feedback. :)

Last edited by pantheron on Jan 25, 2014, 2:38:51 PM
you could just use lightning strike would make shock stacking far more effective i think. you just need to invest in crit and phys dmg, the skill itself will take care of the rest.
gl
@GrimBandit
Ye i know but i don't really like Lightning Strike - dunno why :D. And i wanted build something different and try to make it work. But thanks for the feedback :)
updated this thread as a build. I've worked and tested a lot these days to optimize it. Maybe some of you had the same idea in Mind.

added some small Videos.
Last edited by pantheron on Jan 23, 2014, 12:44:41 PM
I really liked you build :D

I just have 2 questions, does the CoC procs twice when you crit with double strike? Since when you get the first strike as crit, the second one will be as well.

And can you update the passive link? its bugged here so it only appears like you used 10 points.

I really want to try that build but with minor changes :D
hey, very interesting build. I always wanted to do a melee CoC build but never had the chance to.

Have you tried dual wielding? so you hit 4 times instead of 2.

Also do you have any idea if melee splash works with CoC? So you'd be hitting a bunch of target 4x. So like maybe 20-40 hits per second.
Ign: Kiaraa, Kionn , Nalaa
Kiaraa Cyclone (2.0): https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1330927
Kionn Wander (1.2): http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1037723 (OUTDATED)

Shop: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1315055
Last edited by yongsheng11 on Sep 9, 2014, 11:59:39 AM
Actually, you don't attack 4 times, just 2 1 with each weapon. So its better with 1 handed because you will always attack with your best weapon instead of switching.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info