[GUIDE] Scorched Earth (How to be a Fire Witch)

OVERVIEW

This build mainly revolves around the idea that witches should have high DPS, and be able to survive by simply killing them before they kill you. This was the driving idea behind my build idea and is what I mainly wanted to do with my witch. It's boring being a 6-7k HP tank that takes minutes to kill a single rare or unique boss. If you're looking for an "uber safe" build with little to no risk of dying, you can look elsewhere, this build isn't for you. If however, you want a build with good survivability, based on player skill, with DPS that doesn't suck (even against fire resist stuff) then keep reading because this is for you.

GEAR AT A GLANCE

Just a quick view at what I'm currently using on the build, I will go in depth with gem and gear choices later.
Spoiler

THE PASSIVE TREE

PLAYSTYLE/HOW-TO

Spoiler

1) Curse enemy
2) Throw trap
3) ???
4) PROFIT!!!

I joke (sort of), but once you get some decent gear (5L or 6L searing, and potentially a Carcass Jack) you can more or less just throw traps out with a curse and watch everything except double resist mobs and some bosses melt in under a second.

The first thing I'm sure many will point out is that I'm completely lacking resists or mitigation of any sort really. Yep, and that's what this build is all about, surviving based on your own awareness and ability to play well, not relying on simply being able to face-tank everything you run into. I don't like playing gear-check games or play-styles, it gets old and boring pretty quick.

I do use 2 4L items to run CwDT-EC-AOE and another for CwDT-IC-ID-Molten, which help out a bit with survivability, but they really act as "oh-shit" buttons designed to prevent me from getting insta-gibbed (I started using these after getting insta-gibbed a couple times to 2-3 fast crits in a 74 map, I'll explain my deaths below when I discuss hardcore)

When you have to deal with a high or double resist enemy (this applies to bosses/uniques even if they don't resist fire) the basic idea is that between the curse, fire pen, and shock stacks we multiply our damage to the point that even resists don't matter a whole lot unless they're so far over-capped that -81% fire resist doesn't at least take them below 75%. To be able to shock stack you really want to focus on drawing bosses/uniques into large packs of enemies (preferably whites with low HP and resists for max duration shocks) and letting the huge AOE shock proliferates triple-stack the bosses.

If you find in high level maps that the enemy HP and resists are still a bit too much to overcome, then I would say that you can spec into EE (this can actually be done at lower levels to increase damage a lot in the event you can't get a searing touch or 4L), and then use either shock nova traps or spark totem to trigger EE and/or apply shocks.

General Trap/skill order Without EE:
(normal/no fire resists) Curse -> Fire trap
(with fire resists) Curse -> Shock Nova trap -> Fire trap
(with double resist or high HP no ads nearby) Curse -> Shock trap -> Shock trap -> Fire trap

General Trap/skill order With EE:
(normal/no fire resists) Curse -> Fire trap
(with fire resists) Shock trap/totem -> Fire Trap
(With double resist or high HP no ads nearby) Curse -> Shock trap/totem -> Fire trap

I don't have enough points yet to spec into EE, but it's my next passive to spec into for testing, but it's been very promising when I've had that as a map modifier.

LEVELING, GEAR AND GEM CHOICES
Spoiler

First up is bandit rewards:
Normal - Help Oak
Cruel - Kill all
Merciless Kill all (you can help oak if you want the extra endu charge for use with CwDT)

21 Point Tree:

41 Point Tree:

61 Point Tree:

89 Point Tree: (level 70, build "complete")

If you're going to spec into EE early the tree diverges after the 41 Point build (points 42-89) to the following:

Gem Setup and Links:

I'm going to split this into two sections, those who are starting with currency and those without.

Starting without Currency:
3L Fire trap: FT - Ignite - Ele Prolif
$L Fire trap: FT - Ignite - Ele Prolif - Fire Pen (This setup can take you to 66/67 maps!)
5L Fire Trap: FT - Ignite - Ele Prolif - Fire Pen - AOE/Burn Dmg
6L Fire Trap: FT - Ignite - Ele Prolif - Fire Pen - AOE - Conc Effect

Starting with Currency: (assumed at least 4L searing touch)
Starting without Currency:
$L Fire trap: FT - Ignite - Ele Prolif - Fire Pen (This setup can take you to 66/67 maps!)
5L Fire Trap: FT - Ignite - Ele Prolif - Fire Pen - AOE
6L Fire Trap: FT - Ignite - Ele Prolif - Fire Pen - AOE - Conc Effect

Ultimately, whether you socket AOE or burn damage will depend on where you feel you need the biggest boost. If you feel like the AOE from passives is enough area, then go with burn damage to increase clear speeds, which will help you on bosses as well progressing in levels more quickly. If you are struggling to clear packs with one trap (after curse/EE procs) because the proliferate is not reaching far enough then put the AOE gem in and watch the screen melt.

The choice of AOE + Conc may seem a little odd given the huge amount of AOE on the build, but after testing, the ability to clear large packs was a lot less consistent when socketing CE without AOE, because the traps didn't go off as consistently and the proliferating burns didn't reach out far enough (remember enemies will run away once they catch on fire) to burn them down before they got out of the DoT. Ultimately it didn't hurt survivability at all, but it does increase clear times significantly as it causes you to have to set more traps instead of just one. The lack of Burn Dmg on the searing setup may seem odd, but with searing + passives the increased burn damage is really overkill since it won't increase clear times vs whites/blues/golds all that much, and the larger AOEs help tremendously in shock stacking and burning enemies down before they run out of range.

The Support links are below and in one section as you should have 1 or more 4L setups by the later point in the game where these become necessary/useful.

EE Proc/Shock stacks:

4L: Shock Nova - Trap - Multiple Traps - Ele prolif
5L: Shock Nova - Trap - Multiple traps - Ele prolif - Reduced Duration (with Sunblast)/ Light Pen
6L: Shock Nova - Trap - Multiple traps - Ele prolif - Reduced Duration - Light Pen

4L: Spell Totem - Spark - Fork - Faster Cast
5L: Spell Totem - Spark - Fork - Faster Cast - LMP (if running EE)/Light Pen (if trying to shock-stack)
6L: Spell Totem - Spark - Fork - Faster Cast - LMP (if running EE)/Light Pen - Added Light Dmg/Light Pen

Curse/Aura/CwDT supports

4L: Cast when Damage Taken (lvl 1) - Enduring Cry (lvl 5) - Ice Nova (lvl 8, if using EE)/Temp Chains/Enfeeble - AOE (max lvl)

4L: Cast when Damage Taken (lvl 8-13) - Immortal Call (level req. capped with CwDT) - Inc Duration - Molten Shell (level req. capped with CwDT)

4L: Reduced Mana - Clarity (max lvl) - Vitality/Grace/Determination/Purity of <X> - Flammability

The two CwDT slots work wonderfully together to ensure that every 1/3 of your HP you take as damage you get around 2-3 seconds of physical invulnerability thanks to IC. The aura item just serves to provide whatever mitigation or sustain you want. Clarity is basically required as we spam skills a fair bit (doubly so if you go EE+shock trap), it also lets us run 50% regen maps without too much trouble. I personally opted for vitality + clarity, but Grace is a definite option to give yourself a bit more evade to work with.

The 4L or 5L chest should go to your shock stack/EE proc. If you go the EE route and you don't have enough currency for sunblast, then I would really recommend you stay away from shock nova traps as they will be inconsistent, spark will offer far more consistency for that purpose. A couple other options for a 4L EE proc might be:

Spell Totem - Ice Spear - GMP - chain/Faster casting
Lightning Trap - Multi Trap - Chain - GMP/reduced duration

The trap should obviously be used in conjunction with sunblast, while the totem is a bit more versatile.

MAPPING AND GROUP ROLES
Spoiler

Solo Mapping:
I'm still fairly new to mapping, I have a level 80 duelist FB build but never really mapped a lot on it, so my 78 fire witch is the first character that I'm actually chaining maps on. So far I have not found any mods that I flat out cannot do, although a couple combinations get fairly dicey if not outright un-doable.

So far I have 33 deaths on this character, and all of them came in maps. This is okay with me however because I'm still learning how to play the character better, and I really push the limits on what should/shouldn't be done just to test the waters knowing full well that I'm going to RIP (RIP'd 3 times to twinned, LMP, extra damage orchard bosses, RIP'd 5 times to extra damage, faster attacking museum bosses, ect.). I have not died on any map where I've avoided the RIP boss & Mods combos, and I have not died in the storyline at all.

Group Mapping:
Actually one of the better ways and more powerful roles we can play. Make sure no one in your party is running lightning damage first, but if you're in EE, just throw a spark totem/shock trap out, and the occasional fire trap to add to DPS, but our primary role in large groups is to act as a damage multiplier with shock stacks & burn fields while letting the largest DPSer do their thing. This is partially true, however in our 4-man group I'm currently the highest DPS, although there are a couple guild members with 50k+ DPS that I simply shock things when I run with them.

tl;dr
Don't do RIP bosses with bad mods and you will not die in maps unless you get careless. In parties play the DPS multiplier with shock stacks if someone there has significantly higher DPS

GAMEPLAY VIDEOS
Spoiler

First map run with my 6L (was using 4L until this point):
Spoiler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfWtFnlww5U&feature=youtu.be

Solo run on 67 alched thicket map:
Spoiler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkm-81rVG-A&feature=youtu.be

Vaal Ruins map (68), kept incredibly harmful mods to showcase the minimum damage dealt with the build while showing that even at absolute minimum the build is still viable and relatively effective. (totems, fire res, enfeeble, end charges)
Spoiler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSrcw472gIo&feature=youtu.be

Museum map run (68), kept RIP mods for the bosses and then burned the unique boss(es) in museum down (added L dmg, more dmg & atkspd, lmp)
Spoiler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcWXLeYrrf0&feature=youtu.be

4-Man Party run on 73 Dark Forest map:
Spoiler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfTw_qBVZr0&feature=youtu.be

Twinned Blacksmith Kill (solo) with enfeeble and boss damage & attack speed mods (the video freezes for a few seconds in the beginning =/)
Spoiler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7e0SE5_vtg

Thanks for reading guys, feel free to add suggestions, give feedback, ect.
Last edited by Z3roSh0t on Dec 27, 2013, 2:56:51 AM
This seems like a fun build ill give it a try but how do u deal with reflect mobs? is it difficult?
IGN GFG_SmackYouUp (Facebreaker)
"
killerid001 wrote:
This seems like a fun build ill give it a try but how do u deal with reflect mobs? is it difficult?

Traps don't actually count as *you* dealing damage (similar to totems) so damage is not reflected back to you. Reflect is one of my favorite map mods to get for this very reason. The major things to watch out for in this build are gap-closers (things like leap slam/flicker strike). Since I didn't invest heavily into either armor or evasion, flicker strikers and other leapslammers (thinking specifically of the frogs in A3) can really cause some issues. The best way to handle them is to get a burning and/or shocked field on the ground from a few nearby monsters and kite them into it (they should burn and die before doing any real damage).

Thanks for the reply, good luck with it.
I started your build yesterday after looking for a build based around the Searing Touch, seeing as its the only good unique I have in Domination and I need a build to get me mapping to build up some currency. So far level 36 and its going really fast, DPS is plowing through everything, having a lot of fun. Only question I have is late-game health, noticing that there isn't many regen nodes and life leech/life on hit doesnt work with fire traps burning damage, are health potions the only way to keep yourself alive? I guess thats why the CoDT+IC and CoDT+EC are used?

Overall its pretty fun so far!

Edit: I'm assuming your running Discipline since your EB right?
Last edited by durew on Dec 22, 2013, 11:38:34 AM
"
durew wrote:
I started your build yesterday after looking for a build based around the Searing Touch, seeing as its the only good unique I have in Domination and I need a build to get me mapping to build up some currency. So far level 36 and its going really fast, DPS is plowing through everything, having a lot of fun. Only question I have is late-game health, noticing that there isn't many regen nodes and life leech/life on hit doesnt work with fire traps burning damage, are health potions the only way to keep yourself alive? I guess thats why the CoDT+IC and CoDT+EC are used?

Overall its pretty fun so far!

Edit: I'm assuming your running Discipline since your EB right?

Glad it's working out well for you so far :).

To answer your question: In short, with the regen nodes provided + vitality, your regen/sec should be about 250/s at level 70-80, or about 3-4%. The biggest way to mitigate damage is actually do avoid it, with the build sporting enough HP + regen to take a couple large hits. Best investments you'll want to make for mapping are an of iron skin granite flask (+armor% on use) and probably most importantly, get a quicksilver with runspeed on use. Those two flasks will save you a lot.

Yes, the CwDT + EC + IC provides some good defense against physical damage, and is exactly why it's there. As a fun note, we have so much AOE that the CwDT, even at level 5 will almost always give us 3 charges :).

I'm going to go test with flameblast now and see what happens :)

I'm trying to decide if going up to Eldritch Battery is a good choice or not.. seeing as the auras running are 60% (vitality/purity/determination) + clarity + reduced mana, what other auras could be used by the added benefit of going EB since they're all percentage based? There isnt enough to use a 40% aura, and I havent ran into any mana issues at all and I don't even use mana potions. I have a 680 mana pool so far and it leaves me with ~200 left to use, and my fire trap costs 90 with a 4L currently, with 70 mana regen/s with clarity on

I'm level 73 now, and made some small adjustments to the build so far.. few fire/hp nodes in the mara tree, I'm thinking about taking the 4 Armor/ES nodes there too, and after that going either going for Sovereignty to possibly run another 40% aura, and then finishing off with going towards more Armor/ES with Body and Soul also in the mara tree.

Any thoughts? Here's where I am so far with some minor adjustments

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMBAnEEswdjCPQSaRRNFm8XHBmFGjgabB8CJKopTyqNLJwtHzGIMZ41kjbFNtg26TrhPAU8LT1fQYdG10kbTP9N41JTVa5VxlcrXcZtGXF5eQN65oKbgziHZYgbiPGLjI6-j0aPppBVksGXhZeVl_ScLZ2un9-iAKZXpwinhKxZr2yvt7UEtz7AVMWKxq7PZdDQ1HzYJNrd37Dhc-Nq5CLmgedj52rsOOxV7SDvfO-F8B_yRfno_gr-jxEt
"
durew wrote:
I'm trying to decide if going up to Eldritch Battery is a good choice or not.. seeing as the auras running are 60% (vitality/purity/determination) + clarity + reduced mana, what other auras could be used by the added benefit of going EB since they're all percentage based? There isnt enough to use a 40% aura, and I havent ran into any mana issues at all and I don't even use mana potions. I have a 680 mana pool so far and it leaves me with ~200 left to use, and my fire trap costs 90 with a 4L currently, with 70 mana regen/s with clarity on

I'm level 73 now, and made some small adjustments to the build so far.. few fire/hp nodes in the mara tree, I'm thinking about taking the 4 Armor/ES nodes there too, and after that going either going for Sovereignty to possibly run another 40% aura, and then finishing off with going towards more Armor/ES with Body and Soul also in the mara tree.

Any thoughts? Here's where I am so far with some minor adjustments

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMBAnEEswdjCPQSaRRNFm8XHBmFGjgabB8CJKopTyqNLJwtHzGIMZ41kjbFNtg26TrhPAU8LT1fQYdG10kbTP9N41JTVa5VxlcrXcZtGXF5eQN65oKbgziHZYgbiPGLjI6-j0aPppBVksGXhZeVl_ScLZ2un9-iAKZXpwinhKxZr2yvt7UEtz7AVMWKxq7PZdDQ1HzYJNrd37Dhc-Nq5CLmgedj52rsOOxV7SDvfO-F8B_yRfno_gr-jxEt

Posting from my phone atm, so I'm sorry if I have some bad typos.

Anyway, I like the tree, but if you want o be more tanky then I would recommend speccing out of the 6% fire nodes below immolation and in the templar tree, and take those points downinto the mara area for extra life and regen. Unless you opt to get a high armor chest and other pieces getting % armor nodes isn't really recommended (a high % of a low number is normally still low).

That said it looks perfectly fine so far. If you only really plan to go for a 4L or 5L then EB isn't really needed. I was fine without EB until I picked up my 6L, at which point my fire trap went to 200 or so mana per cast, which combined with a 100 or so mana cost on my shocknova trap, was unsustainable without a higher base and regen.

Glad this has been working as well for others as it has myself. I'm gonna srart testing with flameblast to see if there is more damage to be had, but tbh if there is, it doesn't seem like it would be worth it due to having issues with reflect.
This looks like a crazy good time.
"
Mister_Sneebs wrote:
This looks like a crazy good time.

Only if you enjoy watching screens of enemies melt in seconds :). It's a lot of fun to play and it's really only gear-dependant in the sense that you need Searing touch to really make it tick. Luckily a 3-4L searing touch with mid rolls isn't really too big of a deal to get (usually 2-5c I think?).

I made the build because I wanted something that was both A) viable to level up with (I hate switching builds and gear-focus on characters, dunno why but it bothers me), and B) viable for end-game maps.
3-5c...the only ones Ive seen going on trade are going for like 2.5explus someone one tried to get me to pay 5 ex for a really really very low roll one. (you don't scam an eve player) Otherwise I am intrigued by this build.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info