[1.0.3] The Caged God --- 2H WHATEVER godlike DPS build--updated tanky RT version

The build is based on the unique staff The Pillar of The Caged God.

This is the cheapest OP item in current game.
It will make your LITERALLY a GOD in early-mid game.
I achieved 4000 dps Double Strike at the end of Normal A3,level 31.
And 6000 dps Spectral Throw at level 65, without Physical Projectile Attack Damage support.

Sorry I cannot provide screenshots here because I have chromed my Pillar and it does not match ST anymore.

Theorycraft

The pillar has a base phy damage 24-40, which makes it 32 dph.
The base aps is 1.25.

Every 10 str will give 16% increased melee weapon damage.
Every 10 dex will give 1% increased attack damage.

With this build we can achieve at least 452 str and 104 dex in level 85.
And we can get another 300 str and at least 100 dex from gears.
(Abyssus 25+ Meginord's Girdle 25 + at least 35 each from chest/two rings/glove/boots/amulet)

It makes the Pillar

32*(1+16%*750/10)*1.25*(1+1%*200/10)= 624 pdps.

And it could go much higher with correct gears and higher levels.

For 900 str and 300 dex, its

32*(1+16%*900/10)*1.25*(1+1%*300/10)= 800 pdps.

And this monster will cost you only 1 chaos!!
(well, exclude the 5l/6l fee ,lol)

So this build is about grab as much as raw Str nodes as possible,
plus the great critical nodes of staff.

Just keep in mind that a 10 str node does much better
than a pure 18 increased physical damage node in this build.
And we do not need AS nodes because dex nodes have provided very high Increased AS.
As long as you get enough str, the pillar will out dps ANY 2H weapons.

Also,this build is very versatile about the skills we use.
We can switch between Amplify for IB/GS/LS/Cyclone/Flicker and Iron Grip for ST easily.

Pros:
--- Extremely high dps from the very beginning of the game to the end game.
Only legacy facebreaker could compete with it in the early game dps,
but well, FB could not use Leap slam and has a very small radius of skills.
--- Could use a 5L/6L from level 13.
--- Very cheap to build up.
--- Highly versatile, could use any 2H skills you like.
--- 25% block chance and Blunt Trauma(knock back on crit) makes a good defense.

Cons:

--- Gear dependent, need to invest ~5-10 ex to make it work in end game, not totally newbie friendly.
--- Even with the block from staff and knockback from Blunt Trauma, its still a little squishy
comparing to the 1H block melee, especial if you are using Abyssus to max dps.
One option is to go with EB+AA+MoM to deal with the increased damage taken.

gears

unique

--- The only must have stuff for this build

--- Optional, but will make your early game very easy if you could get it. cost around 1ex

--- Optional, but will make you GODLIKE in early-mid game.
In end game, a +phy damage/+str/+all stat amulet will be a better choice.

--- Optional, will boost your damage hugely but the drawback is strong.
need to be very careful about the increased damage.

--- Best defensive item if you go with Cyclone or ST as your only damage skill,though very expensive.

--- Optional, best DPS glove but a +str/+phy damage rare is acceptable.

The Bringer of Rain
--- Optional, but a very good piece to get if you can cap resistance without a chest.
The extra block chance and blind helps to improve defense a lot.

For rares,just pick up those +str and duo res stuff.(+Str is a suffix so not possible to get tri-res)
Get +phy damage in glove/rings/amulet if possible.
Also we will need a few accuracy from glove/rings as we do not take RT.

A mana leech ring is enough to solve mana issue unless using cyclone.

100pts Tanky version with RT
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAxtglJ11JZ5spLtSPGS653Sft2WHvDvIv892sqsT2Vw3nUnKpxBU9Dzwt0iGRzlRJfNlKLiSLxq6ezV8_uUN8u7c-pzBVtaelOtjFivNxQYf-CgHn974UIMEETdjsOC3S8B_56PJFNuify1BH3D2Mdho4BLOiADrhOlJkoyFVp4QUTQJxplcyfhpVOQ4x-5BVqWhN4zGeYSHAGv6PhO8S4WaeNZJeE3Tt-tKsWRvIeu826YjxQzFgS-NqtkEFLU4qQKAppZ6552M=

Bandits

N:Oak
C:Kill all
M:Kill all or Oak or Alira

Aura
Hatred+Grace

Skills

ST-Lesser Multiple Projectiles-Physical Projectile Attack Damage-Faster Attacks-Added Fire Damage-Power Charge On Critical or Additional Accuracy or Life Leech

Double Strike-Melee Physical Damage-Multistrike-Faster Attacks-Added Fire Damage-Additional Accuracy or Life Leech

CWDT(Lv1)-Enduring Cry-Projectile Weakness-Decoy Totem

CWDT(Lv20)-Molten Shell-Immortal Cry-Summon Skeleton/Frost Wall

The frost wall will NOT block your ST while it could block most of the deadly attacks from monsters.
Especial the projectiles(Tentacle/Chimeral/Archers)

Reduced Mana-Hatrd-Grace-Leap Slam

*Actually you can use whatever attack skills you want :P

Unwavering Stance

When using ST, Unwavering Stance is optional because even you get stunned,
the projectiles of ST could still knock back/leech life out there.

But it does not hurt to pick US anyway.
Could drop 1 accuracy node and pick US instead if you feel necessary.

How to deal with physical reflect

Slow down your attacks and pump Granite and Jade flask at the same time when fighting reflect packs.
Better to avoid physical reflect maps until you get IR, or use Life Gain On Hit instead when running such map.
Last edited by jrsyn on Dec 26, 2013, 1:48:39 PM
reserved
Last edited by jrsyn on Dec 21, 2013, 3:28:28 AM
Will be trying this out! i had a 5S Pillar and managed to 5L in 3 fuses.
I'm trying this build now, it seems good^^, but i have a question, why not pick up unwavering stance?? Since you already pick up the Iron reflex, the Unwavering stance should work good i think.
"
KevinSandy wrote:
I'm trying this build now, it seems good^^, but i have a question, why not pick up unwavering stance?? Since you already pick up the Iron reflex, the Unwavering stance should work good i think.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this.
When using ST, Unwavering Stance is optional because even you get stunned,
the projectiles of ST could still knock back/leech life out there.

But it does not hurt to pick US anyway.
Could drop 1 accuracy node and pick US instead if you feel necessary.
Last edited by jrsyn on Dec 21, 2013, 11:19:25 PM
It's a staff - why are you picking up Crusader instead of Enforcer?

I'm assuming that this is a mistake in your build guide - you probably want to fix that.
thanks,fixed.
I'm really liking this build.

I am curious if a Resolute Technique build could work with this? Maybe drop the crit nodes and put them into something that is lacking. Maybe pickup some more tankyness if possible.
RT is not favored in this build because:

1.There are accuracy nodes with raw stats which scale very well with the Pillar and easy to access:
Skill of Ancestors/Precision/Versatility/(and Executioner if necessary)

2.Blunt Trauma needs critical hit to knock back

3.Staff has a high base crit so critical boost your dps hugely
(30%ish crit and around 500 critical multipler after all the crit nodes)

Its definitely doable to take RT and give up crit nodes when leveling,
but i would say it just does not worth the sacrifice of dps.
Last edited by jrsyn on Dec 22, 2013, 9:33:31 PM
Haven't tested a crit variant yet, but seems like it'd really have to rely on Immortal Call against phys reflect (especially with Abyssus).

Just looking at the tree there's about 20 points spent almost exclusively on Crit and Accuracy stuff, I'm still not sure if I want to go down that road eventually. Freezing enemies with crits thanks to Hatred seems like a big plus, I'm not a fan of Knockback though, so I might just leave those 3 points out completely (might be entirely different with ST though). For me, those 20 points could go straight into more Strength+Life for the most part, while the DPS already seems pretty high even without crits.
However I'm still at the lower end of doing maps, character is just 72 atm and using up most of my 68/69 maps for now and working my way up.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAdwCcQSzBS0UTRcvGS4aOBv6Jd8n7SkuLdIxnjWSNuk62DwtQYdHfkrITeNQUFRJVdZYY1nzXz9gS2EhZOdlTWaeZ5tuaW6qcql07XgNeu98u3zZgKSDOITZhO-I8YzPkFWiAKQZplenhKloqW6rxaxZrKq18rc-ud2-ir6nwA_AGsT2xYrGrsbY0k3Uj-Lq42rnUudj7DjvDu988B_yL_Pd9kj56PrS_gr-jxLh

This is what I'm using as a core, already getting tons of life and life regen, running Determination+Hatred+Purity and using the Blood Magic support. Could easily work towards IR from there to run Grace effectively and move to the 18% Life node near Ranger, grabbing the 30 Str node on the way.
After that just some more stuff to flesh it out, there's some remaining 8% life nodes, the 20 Str+Onehanded node, maybe even the Berserking cluster for more Attack Speed and also the option to move down from Marauder towards the 2 12% life nodes while getting the Endurance charge and some Str on the way. Also 10 Str + 12% all res below Duelist and 28% Armour + 8% all res from Templar for 2 points each. Haven't picked up Staff Block yet either, but it seems pretty inconsistent to me anyway if I can only reach 25% overall.
All in all, just lots of options to spend the points on that you 'save' from not going crit, same as TehDiablo suggested. No idea which option is actually better though, probably depends a lot on the actual skill you're using as well. :)

I'm using Cyclone as my main skill, would obviously have to adjust the tree a bit for Spectral Throw.
Not really using Immortal Call for now, though there'd be options to make it last really long with potentially 7 easily accessible Charges+being right at the 45% buff duration cluster near RT. But I guess that's overkill and I wouldn't run it on codt then since there'd probably be lots of situations where constant reduction from 6-7 charges is sufficient and preferable over complete immunity followed by a period with almost no charges up (especially against bosses when you might only get 1 charge per cast if there's no adds).

Will have to see how it works when doing higher maps and more party stuff eventually.

Also, just a small thing I noticed with your skill trees: you should probably replace the Marauder 15% phys start node and the 2 following Str nodes with just the 3 pure Str nodes near the Endurance Charge to gain 3% Phys and 5 Life without any drawbacks (at least I can't see any).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info