Celavie´s Dual Strike Scepter Guide [1.0.3] - Newbie Friendly

INTRODUCTION
Hi, I hope I am not ripping anyone of with this build. I have theorycrafted this myself and I hope I have something unique here. I have currently played a champion up to level 71 with this build and it has been a lot of fun. My current DPS is around 16500 with 4500 HP, 5500 armor and full resists.

But it has alot more potential because i dont have the best gear by any means and also have alot more points to distribute.

The idea behind this build is essentially to combine the following facts about the game mechanics:
Elemental damage is better than physical if you hit fast and light, rather than slow and hard. (This is because of how damage mitigation works in the game)
Maces are among the fastest weapons in the game AND they can have percentual elemental damage modifiers.
Dual strike will count most of your damage twice, since it calculates on both weapons.
Multistrike is great for adding attack speed and a sense of AOE damage

Strengths:
Big sustained DPS
Fast attack speed
Decent defenses
Low item requirements

Weakness:
Not really an AOE-build even though it wade through packs with multistrike.
Needs a lot of dexterity but uses Resolute Technique so the added accuracy is wasted.

What this build will give you (only from passives):

Defenses:
260% increased HP
875 base life at level 100
575 base life at level 50
191% increased armor
78% Elemental resistances
12% Chaos resist

Offence:
Resolute Technique (Your hits can never be evaded) (Never critically strike)
105% more elemental damage
120% more physical damage
21% more attack speed

Gem Setup:

Main Attack
Dual Strike
Dual Strike is unique in the way that it accounts for both weapons damage in one blow. This is great because we can use added elemental damage on both weapons to increase our dps.

Support Gems

Must have gems
Multistrike
Multistrike is great for adding high amounts of DPS, especially elemental damage. Basically it makes an attack trigger three times, while reduces damage and boosting attack speed. However, damage reduction does not matter as much with elemental dmg.

Weapon Elemental Damage
Increases our elemental damage output, which is exactly what we want.

Mana Leech
A must have for sustain, since we attack so fast and mostly with elemental damage. No other forms of mana leech could work. (However if would be entirely possible to go with blood magic and life leech support gems)

Flavor of your choosing
Faster Attacks
Since we have a high number already in attacks per second, this gems adds a lot of dps.

Melee Splash
To small aoe for my liking, but could theoretically work with this build.

Added rarity/quantity
Always nice, with any build.

Culling Strike
Always very good with fast attack builds. Would also increase damage with up to 22%.

Elemental Proliferation
Could possibly work with the "Chance to shock" from passive tree.

Life Leech and/or life on hit
Good for sustain of coarse.

Itemization:
First of all, this build is dependent on good maces. That is the only real requirement. These are the two I use currently:

As you can see, they have the +10% elemental damage modifier, added X-Y elemental damage and fast attack speed. This is exactly the things to watch for, don't bother about the rest of the stats as they don't really impact this build.

Other gear:
Good modifiers on other item pieces:
Life is always good
Armor is always good
Resistances is always good
Added X-Y elemental damage adds a lot to DPS
Increased X% elemental damager adds even more DPS

You need at least a 4-link item to make this work, but of coarse a 5-link or 6-link chest is much better.

Auras:
I use Anger and Wraith which adds fire and lightning damage respectively for higher dps. But this is also a matter of how offensive you can/want to play.

This is the link to the final build:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAxthYYz38fLgpLowGpKzvDrnd8i_UjxkuJ-3z3ayqxPZyqVnzPQ88LXdifNnAGn31xq7krZBVZp63Pt7Bp4T60nFN_goaODbpHRQXL5rP8kXnY-w4JKrjao9GZOeG0UNjOuGI8SlPV-IZhacI0NBV1iSwtzGmV6xZd-UyidrduJOboc9lgKRY9U3jMZ41kgSzMtEMfRHbZ71Vxp3E_o-18hRN8B-Bb0VHEH_ubxZvbqqpbqIAtPmePLUExp5KyGxGGF1N2F3GPyeKr3JsjHZG1ypNkBEyCe0gFSCC5OFzc-GD24uMX6r3iPxLznFsFoKb

Extras:
Some tips for leveling this character:
The following uniques are great for power-leveling.

I am planning on updating this guide with gameplay videos and screenshots of my stats.
Last edited by Celavie on Dec 13, 2013, 5:17:03 PM
hey, im thinking of doing a build similar to this, it would help if you could post a skill tree that doesn't require 120 points
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEABLMMfRB_FE0VIBZvFy8ZLhmFGjgdFCSqJLAn7SkuKU8qTTGeMgkyiTWSNuk64TwtPQ89_D8nRtdKyE3YTeNVxlXWV-JYY1nzXcZfqmTnZp5nvWwWbEZuqnJscqlz4XflfLh82X31gKSBb4Kbg9uG0Yjxi4yMBox2j0aQVZuhnjyiAKSsplenCKeEqW6sWayqtPm1BLXytz64k7ndwBrE9saexq7G2M5xz2XQ0NSP2t3eweFz42rkIuSt52PsOO0g7m_vDvAf8i_yRfPd94j60vxL_gr-jw==

I am not OP, but this removes some dex nodes and small all res nodes, as well as cuts out the armor/ES cluster to the far left. not sure at the moment what the dex is needed for, but worst case scenario you wear a double jade amulet and make up for what i removed.

Also, to OP, this build sounds very fun and the thought that went into it seems solid. I am excited to see a cool elemental melee build posted, since those are in serious decline. Good luck with the character!
"
ItsNeverOver wrote:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEABLMMfRB_FE0VIBZvFy8ZLhmFGjgdFCSqJLAn7SkuKU8qTTGeMgkyiTWSNuk64TwtPQ89_D8nRtdKyE3YTeNVxlXWV-JYY1nzXcZfqmTnZp5nvWwWbEZuqnJscqlz4XflfLh82X31gKSBb4Kbg9uG0Yjxi4yMBox2j0aQVZuhnjyiAKSsplenCKeEqW6sWayqtPm1BLXytz64k7ndwBrE9saexq7G2M5xz2XQ0NSP2t3eweFz42rkIuSt52PsOO0g7m_vDvAf8i_yRfPd94j60vxL_gr-jw==

I am not OP, but this removes some dex nodes and small all res nodes, as well as cuts out the armor/ES cluster to the far left. not sure at the moment what the dex is needed for, but worst case scenario you wear a double jade amulet and make up for what i removed.

Also, to OP, this build sounds very fun and the thought that went into it seems solid. I am excited to see a cool elemental melee build posted, since those are in serious decline. Good luck with the character!

Thanks, but using 107 is level 86 at the least(all 3 skill points from bandits), doens't give a very good idea of which parts of the skill tree take priority
Viable from the get-go? (Level 19ish?)

What links do you run? and how do you sustain?

I'm starting off fresh with 15-20c so do you think that this build would be good?

and how are you doing in maps/bossing?
Last edited by eirstryder on Dec 16, 2013, 11:06:49 PM
Hi, all! I havent had time to delve deper into this thread but I´m gonna try to answer your questions!

Bosses/Maps:
I am doing fine on bosses and maps, no real problem at the moment.

The added dexterity:
Dexterity is needed for the Mana Leech Gem but most importantly, the Dual Strike Gem.

Building this in steps:

At 20 points:

At 40 points:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAxthYYz38UFB8uIzPKS72SF8_VEnnUu8Oud3yL9SPGS4n7ayqxPZyqT0PfNl99SSLfLuePE3YgW8EsxRN8B8yiaIAd-VX4uw4GjinhJBVjHY=
Go up toward the Templat starting point, by taking this route you can also pick up extra dex (you will need it). This can be cahnged to a more direct approach later.

At 60 points:

At 80 points:
what do you think the starting link should be like?

I was planning to go with dual strike + WED then add on multistrike + melee splash while relying on potions for HP/MP sustain until I can transition into a 5 or 6L then tack on life leech

how starved are you for mana?
Mana was an issue at lower levels, when I couldnt do many links. I think this is the way to link:

3-Link
Dual Strike - Mana Leech - Multistrike

4-Link
Dual Strike - Mana Leech - Multistrike - WED

5-Link
Offense:
Dual Strike - Mana Leech - Multistrike - WED - Faster Attacks
Defense:
Dual Strike - Blood Magic - Multistrike - WED - Life Leech

6-Link
Offense:
Dual Strike - Mana Leech - Multistrike - WED - Faster Attacks - Culling Strike
Defense:
Dual Strike - Blood Magic - Multistrike - WED - Faster Attacks - Life Leech

Since the attack speed is kind of out of this world (I currently attack 6.4 times per second) you NEED Mana Leech (Or Bloodmagic and Life Leech, which is safer but takes an extra Gem-slot) to sustain your attack.

As long as you run a mana-leech gem you will NEVER run out of mana since the dps is so high.

I am currently running this setup actually:
Dual Strike - Blood Magic - Multistrike - WED - Faster Attacks - Life Leech

That makes me able to run three auras on my mana-pool. (Wraith, anger and vitality at the moment)

Last edited by Celavie on Dec 17, 2013, 5:15:53 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info