[1.0.3] Evantis's Poison arrow build: 4978 chaos damage per second

Short and fast theorycrafting for Poison arrow build, using Poison cloud damage after adding new nodes in 1.0.3, and changing DoT damage bonuses in 1.0.2

Build:

Tree summary:

Spoiler
+162 to Strength
+304 to Dexterity
+84 to Intelligence
+430 to maximum Mana
+665 to maximum Life
Evasion Rating: 302
+3 Maximum Endurance Charge
+3 Maximum Frenzy Charge
+3 Maximum Power Charge
5% Additional Elemental Resistance per Endurance Charge
5% Physical Damage Reduction per Endurance Charge
5% Attack Speed Increase per Frenzy Charge
5% Cast Speed Increase per Frenzy Charge
50% Critical Strike Chance Increase per Power Charge
40% increased Attack Speed
40% increased Accuracy Rating
137% increased Projectile Damage
20% increased Projectile Speed
30% increased Block and Stun Recovery
202% increased maximum Life
30% Chance to Avoid being Stunned
2% of Life Regenerated per Second
Doubles chance to Evade Projectile Attacks
6% increased Attack Speed with Bows
12% increased Physical Damage with Bows
56% increased Evasion Rating and Armour
Ignore all Movement Penalties from Armour
180.8% increased Evasion Rating
+20 to Evasion Rating
+10% to all Elemental Resistances
12% increased Physical Damage
20% increased Mana Regeneration Rate
30% increased Critical Strike Chance
89% increased Damage over Time
73% increased Chaos Damage

+3% to Chaos Resistance
+16.8% Energy Shield
+32.4% increased Melee Physical Damage
+608 Accuracy Rating

Items:

Only two items are needed/recommended:
1) magic/rare bow with prefixes
  • Sharpshooter's (+2 to bow skills), requires 64 itemlevel
  • Paragon's (+1 to all skills), requires 50 itemlevel

Bow can be crafted using Trans, Alts and Regal orbs. No more mods are required, so you can focus on getting 5L/6L instead. Fast bow (Thicket Bow/Imperial Bow) with fast attack speed mod is nice to have, but not must have for the build.

2) Carcass Jack armour (12% increased area damage, 20% increased radius of area skills)

Gems:

1) Poison arrow
2) Empower
3) Concentrated effect
4) Slower projectiles
5) Iron Grip

As sixth there could be used either Increased Area of Effect, Increased duration or Faster projectiles.

With +2 bow skills, +1 all skills and +3 from Empower (it gets +1 from the bow too), 26 lvl Poison arrow should do estimated 434 chaos damage per second (including 1.0.3 damage boost). Can be more, should not be less.

• 21 lvl Concentrated effect is a 1.7 multiplier of final damage.
  • 20% quality 21 lvl Slower projectiles is a 38% increased projectile damage bonus.
  • 20% quality 21 lvl Faster projectiles is another potential 20% increased projectile damage bonus.
  • 20% quality 21 lvl Iron grip gives 15% increased projectile damage from quality and 32% increased projectile damage for 162 Strength, which is total 47% increased projectile damage.

Bonuses overview:

Spoiler

+73% chaos damage from skill tree
+89% damage over time from skill tree
+137% projectile damage from skill tree
+38% projectile damage from Slower projectiles support gem
+47% projectile damage from Iron grip support gem
+12% area damage from Carcass Jack

So the final damage of the cloud, without Concentrated effect (some say it does not work with Poison arrow, despite it was mentioned in 1.0.2 patch notes that it should work) would be:

=(434+434*(73%+89%+137%+38%+47%+12%)) = 2153 chaos damage per second

With 21 lvl Concentrated effect chaos damage would be 2153 * 1,70 = 3660

With 24 lvl Projectile weakness curse (20 lvl + 1 from another item + 3 from another Empower), damage should be 3660 * 1,36 = 4978 chaos damage per second

High survivability (202% increased maximum Life, 180.8% increased Evasion Rating, Doubles chance to Evade Projectile Attacks), no problems with reflect. If you don't like Evasion, you can easily change Ondar's Guile to Iron reflexes (changing evasion to armour) using even 1 less point. Would be safer on HC.

For SC and some very unmobile bosses like Maze Vaal you could even use Point blank keystone (or support gem) and was able to boost damage per second up to 7466 chaos damage per second, but it would require much more kiting (shooting in yourself and running circles in the cloud like crazy).

As aura, I'd recommend Grace (especially with another Empower support) and Clarity.

Bandit's rewards: Oak (40 hp), passive, passive.

References
:

Spoiler
"
Damage Over Time Balance:
  • Previously, modifiers to damage dealt applied only to damage on hits unless they specifically said otherwise (for example, Increased Burning Damage).
  • Generic modifiers to damage dealt will now apply to damage over time that your character causes. Damage over time is not spell damage, nor attack damage, so modifiers specific to those types will not apply. Non-specific "increased damage" modifiers will apply to damage over time. Type-specific modifiers will apply as well. For example, "increased fire damage" modifiers will apply to fire damage over time.
  • Modifiers based on how the damage is dealt will apply as appropriate - for example, increased area damage and increased projectile damage will both apply to the poison clouds from Poison Arrow, as it fills an area and is an effect of a projectile.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/659400 1.0.2 patch notes

"
Balance:
  • Poison Arrow: Damage progression has been increased. It is now around 15% better at level 15 than it was in 1.0.2.
  • New groups of passives have been added for Chaos Damage and Damage over Time.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/693628 1.0.3 patch notes

Edit: I forgot 1.0.3 poison damage boost (15%), updated calculations and last 4 levels Wiki info.
IGN @Ostropalca
Last edited by Evantis on Jan 2, 2014, 4:56:23 AM
excellent summary!

Thanks for hard work!
looks solid and very cheap to build.

any chance you could up a quick video of it in action? docks or maps etc?
IGN: Vanagandr_Fenrir (Domination) || Vanadys_Fenrir (Nemesis)
Item Shop: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/627484
looks very interessting. I will try this out, thx for sharing!

if its working out great, this could also be a very nice IIR & IIQ stacking character...
Last edited by Norec on Dec 11, 2013, 6:53:13 AM
vulnerability has a 140% effective multiplier if you want to go full damage

you can also tap into trap/mine support and passives if you want to go crazy with it :)
Cuddles' DoT trapper build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/683322
Last edited by Cuddlepaws on Dec 11, 2013, 7:09:29 AM
thnx for build, btw isnot it better to put in some points for aspect of the eagle instead of projectile damage near scion?

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIBAdEVIBjbGYYZtBn-HNwj9iaVKk0qWyzpLUcxnjWSOuE_J0WWSRNJUUp9SshMMk3jUEJSr1M1VUtW-lpIW69noGf8bWxte26qdEF2gnfXfVt9dX8rf8aHdojxieCMNo1-ks2S85Mfm7WhIqJAplenXKfUrEesWa1Kr-u00bVItfK3trtNu-O-p8APwcXDOsSiyAzKSsrTzSbNmNIZ0k3TftaK1tHcFd0N3V_exuKA5ljnY-pi6yzsGO4O73rv8PJF9Pj6sfzF_gr-j_66_sg=
Thank you for comments, I appreciate it.

"
Cuddlepaws wrote:
vulnerability has a 140% effective multiplier if you want to go full damage

you can also tap into trap/mine support and passives if you want to go crazy with it :)

Vulnerability is a multiplier to the physical damage only, it increases Damage over time, so it is addictive with other "increases", not multiplicative as Projectile weakness. So PW will be superior in this case.

Not sure what you mean by trap passives, Cuddlepaws.

I don't think I'd be able to post a video very soon Vanagandr_Fenrir, especially with the time of lvling up Empower supports :).

Aspect of an Eagle won't do anything with Poison cloud chaos damage, as it boosts only Physical damage, Secondwalk.
IGN @Ostropalca
Last edited by Evantis on Dec 11, 2013, 7:44:24 AM
The increased DoT effect of vulnerability can be treated effectively as a multiplicative bonus. This is because the "increase" calculation is done at the target's side as opposed to your usual increased DoT passives and supports.

For example you have you have a 100 base DoT/sec and a 10% increase from a passive equating to a 110 dps on the target. The cursed target reads this as incoming damage and only then does it apply the 40% increase and that equates to 154 dps, not 150 as it computes the increase after everything is done on the caster's side. Well, i may be completely misinformed by the wiki anyways so there's that.

If you link Poison Arrow to Remote Mine or Trap support gems, the skill is tagged as a trap/mine. The passives will also increase the cloud DoT.

and oh, sadly MF does not work with degen/DoT kills afaik
Cuddles' DoT trapper build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/683322
Last edited by Cuddlepaws on Dec 11, 2013, 7:44:40 AM
"
Cuddlepaws wrote:
The increased DoT effect of vulnerability can be treated effectively as a multiplicative bonus. This is because the "increase" calculation is done at the target's side as opposed to your usual increased DoT passives and supports.

Well in this case it would indeed be a little better (1.4 multiplier instead of 1.36), and of course better in average for the team.

IGN @Ostropalca
Last edited by Evantis on Dec 11, 2013, 7:45:05 AM
I get the trap idea, but would the +2 bow skills still work since trap is thrown without using a bow?

If it would work, this build would be even more OP with Sunblast "grenade launcher" belt.
IGN @Ostropalca
Last edited by Evantis on Dec 11, 2013, 7:51:38 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info