Shatterstorm Triple Totem Crit Madness CI Build Lvl 81

I was asked a few times about my spec so i figured i would post it. I'm a lvl 81 shadow. The best thing about this spec is that you can run into maps or where ever and watch mobs shatter all over the screen! The mobs that leap at you will freeze mid air then just shatter into ice chunks all around your feet! if there's a boss surrounded by packs of enemies you may never even notice him there until the lootsplosion!

I play solo mostly (99% of the time). So this is set up for solo play, but i have tried some public group runs just to see how it would do with higher HP mobs etc..and it does the same thing as solo, it freezes everything making it safer for others to attack if they choose, and stacks shock stacks on everything very quickly which allows storm call to melt it away or ice spear crits to shatter it. Hence the name ShatterStorm!! Yea I.m a noob who wanted to name a spec ROFL!!

Talent Tree

You can start from Shadow or Witch areas.
Shadow

Witch-Started on Nemesis

My tree probably can be tweaked by the min max folks in these forums and i welcome any tips.

Pros
Spoiler
1.Very safe to play.
2.Can clear maps up to lvl 72 with very poor resists. I have -25 fire/24 cold/10 lightning.
3.Can be used as a IIR/IIQ toon if you choose.

Cons
Spoiler
1. I have trouble killing Temple Piety, she just poo's on totems.
Those mobs in upper sceptor of god can be annoying that have the anti caster shield. you just have to place the totems in their shield.
If i can remember other issues i have i will add them as they come up.

Gear
Spoiler
Chest:You will need Soul Mantle in order to play three totems.

Boots: I would recommend Windscreams for dual curse. But honestly i barely get to put up my second curse 95% of the time, usually only bosses recieve the 2nd curse.

Rings and Ammy: I would get mana regen, max mana, resists.

Weapon: I use a wand with high spell dmg/mana regen/max mana/and some crit, but cast speed would be great also.

Gloves: Maligros would fit great here, if not then ES/cast speed type gloves.

Flasks: You want to have at lease 2 flasks of warding to clear curses off of yourself. I personally run 5 quick silver flasks, 2 of warding, 2 perpetual of adrenalines, and 1 of staunching to remove bleeds. In my IIR gear my mana regen is slower so i replace the 2 quicksilver of warding flasks with 2 mana flasks of warding.

Obviously everything should have as much energy shield as possible.

Gems and Links
Spoiler
5L: Storm Call-FC-Conc Eff-Inc Aoe-Ele Prolif Soul Mantle
4L: Ice Spear-Ele Prolif-Spell Totem-LMP
4L: Discipline-Clarity-Purity of elements-Reduced Mana
4L: Conductivity-Ele Weakness-Reduced Mana-Faster Casting
3L: Raise Zombie-Blind-Melee Splash

Bandits- I took all skill points.

Leveling as a Witch
Lvl 20
lvl 40
lvl 60

Leveling Tips as witch
Spoiler
I chose to lvl casting storm call i found it fun trying to place the markers in the path of the mobs. Remember try to trade for or attain the gems you need as early as you can and begin lvling them. Quality ele prolif is great also.. As soon as possible get yourself a spell totem, ele prolif, lmp and ice spear set up and a four link for it. once lvl 31 you can begin dropping that totem to freeze everything which will make using storm call much much easier.

I did not go ancestral bond until i was able to use Soul Mantle chest piece which is at lvl 49, i took totem nodes after i took armor/es and ele resist for shield nodes. Also early on i began crafting my flasks or warding.

I did not use discipline but i did have it socketed to lvl it. You will need mana regen on rings and ammy and i used clarity. Your other option would be to use mana flasks, i chose having 1 granite for emergencies 2 health flasks of warding and 2 quicksilvers with one of them to remove bleeds and the other of warding.

I will not tell anyone how to level their character, but keep in mind that totem builds tend to be difficult until late game so i suggest you use a "leveling" skill like Spectral Throw or even just level casting Storm Call which can be fun also!!

Gameplay Tips

Spoiler
Lead with 1 Ice Spear Totem which will freeze everything in your path. Then drop 2 Storm Call totems next to your Ice Spear Totem. After totem placement use your curse if things are alive.

On boss fights that have no adds around just drop 3 Storm Call totems.

I use Zombies as a distraction.

I run 2 Auras most of the time (clarity/Discipline) and the third Aura Purity of elements i use when running lvl 72 maps just because negative fire resist can become one shots at that level.

Also you want quality on your ele prolif gems. Many times i clear a room and move ot the next room and the room will be completely frozen before i drop my first totem. Also everything gets shock stacked at rediculous rates.

For low level maps 66-70 i run 260 IIR gear and it plays the same except i use mana flasks of warding instead of run speed of warding flasks.

Well thats all for now. Thx for reading. Hope you guys have fun trying it out!!
Last edited by Gangrenous on Dec 7, 2013, 11:23:15 PM
Could you give some damage numbers? What's the DPS of one of your totems? And links to current gear would also be helpful. I currently run a Storm Call Witch and am thinking about switching to totems, would be nice to have some actual numbers before I invest further.
Ice Spear Totem dps on screen is 652.8
28.1% crit 449% crit mult

Storm call dps is 1202.9 16% crit 449 crit mult 25% chance to shock. 3.08 cast per sec

I don't know the math after the shock stacks are stack which is pretty much instantly.

My gear

All the uniques aren't necessary at all besides the chest piece. i just have all these items in my stash so i just put them all on and went at it. I used to farm with my spark totem toon so i've found all my gear myself. But i also have a few items i switch to for IIR.
When i use those items i switch out 2 of my quicksilver flasks for mana flasks of warding.

Last edited by Gangrenous on Dec 5, 2013, 12:47:50 PM
Thanks for the quick reply :) Just kinda need to know how good your gear is to see if it's personally achievable as well. I don't really have that many (read: none) exalts lying around :D

Edit: nevermind, you posted it just after my comment :) Thanks a lot.
Last edited by DelightfulD on Dec 5, 2013, 1:01:42 PM
The only item necessary for the build is the chest. The shock stacks will do the rest. A neck and rings with regen and plus mana, rare energy shield gloves with resist or iir/iiq. The uniques i use arent necessary i am sure one of the min/max people in these forums can show you how not optimal my uniques are besides the chest.
I have never played a Shadow or Witch and I am looking for something new. Could you give some general play tips and trees for level 20, level 40, level 60 for a witch build?

Thank you.
Last edited by Albane01 on Dec 6, 2013, 10:42:48 PM
What bandits did you go with?
I recently remade this character and i am currently leveling it as a witch. I Began in Nemesis and unfortunately died to a desync on a rare mob with blues surrounding him. I was lvl 50 but i plan on continuing to lvl the witch version with the same plan i had for nemesis.

i will add the witch skill tree i plan on using. I stated previously that because of the nature of the build freezing everything i did not concern myself stacking life nodes while leveling. I just tried using self found crap gear with armor/ES and + max life and resists on them. I wasnt picky at all i just looked to see what crap blue or rare i found would work best.

adding bandits also, i took skill points, debated taking mana on normal mode though but took talent in the end.
Why did you take shield block nodes in the build? And why not add a few health nodes for hardcore play? Even if you don't expect to get hit much, they are very nice to have just in case.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info