[1.0.4+] Sledgehammer Marauder Guide - GS+HS (including Videos)

Sledgehammer Marauder Build

Introduction:
Spoiler

I have started my marauder based on the [Newbie Friendly] MARAUDER MELEE BUILD v5.1 from NinjaArabStrategist

(Thanks to him for giving me some basic ideas!).

After playing a while with this build the 1.0.0 version of POE was released and gave me the possibility to respec my whole build. After hours of planing I found a good balance

between offensive and defensive skills. Several regrets later I ended on this build, which I only can describe in one word: AMAZING ;)

Description:
Spoiler

This build uses 3 attacks: Ground Slam for AOE, Heavy Strike for single targets and Leap Slam to start a fight and build up some endurance charges.

The defense we get from one Cast when Damage taken Gem linked with Warlords Mark and Enduring Cry. We have a 100% uptime for the endurance charges and with Granite Flask a 90% Physical Dmg Reduction. If a fight ends without full life, just place a Devouring Totem and your Life will be full very fast. Yes this works even with Vaal Pact.

Video:

Pros and Cons:
Spoiler

+ Fun to play. Slam into a group of monsters and smash their heads with groundslam. If a single mob survives tear him to peaces with Heavy Strike.
+ Quite Cheap to start. No 6L needed.
+ Good Damage output while keeping a good defense, even on average gear (like mine).
+ Capable of doing all map mods (including Physical Reflect and 50%/No Reg Mods).
+ Playable on old PCs (I sometimes play this build on my Notebook).
+ Easy to play. Only mouse is needed.
+ Easy to level. Bloodmagic and Carnage heart can be used quite early.

- Depends on Carnage Heart Amulet with Lifeleech >= 8%. This is the only item which is needed to play this build, but its not expensive.
- Choice of skillgems is limited because of Carnage Heart. The lifeleech from the amulett is only for pure physical damage.

Skill Tree:
Spoiler

Final Passive Skill Tree - 108/120 Points:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAdwB5wSzD8wS2RLhFCAUTRiRGS4Z6Ro4Gj4b-iECITQhVSXfJ-0otSo4KvYt0jGeMgk1kjboOQ462Ds7QT9GaUd-SshN2E3jUEdQUFHmVElYY1ivWfNfOV8_YMRhIWVNZ1hsRm5pbqpybHKpeA17jHzZgW-DOITZh2qMdozPkFWQbJkrnjyfy6IAouqkGaZXpmSnMKeEqWipbqlzqZSsqrQvtfK53b2Bvoq-p8APwBrBBMbYyZjKkNJN1I_cPd3j3sHkredS7DjvDu9O73zxrPIv8932SP6P

If you play with Kongor's Undying Rage you should not use Resolute Technique from Passive Tree.
You can additionally spend some points on single resistance, dexternity or intelligence nodes if needed.

Only use Vaal Pact when you have good damage. Otherwise use old guide (at bottom of post)

Gems:
Spoiler

Ground Slam:
Ground Slam > Multistrike > Melee Physical Damage > Faster Attacks > Concentrated Effect > Added Fire Damage/Endurance Charge on Melee Stun

Heavy Strike:
Heavy Strike > Multistrike > Melee Physical Damage > Faster Attacks > Added Fire Damage > Endurance Charge on Melee Stun/Added Chaos Damage/lifeleech (to be extra save)

Leap Slam:
Leap Slam > Bloodmagic > Endurance Charge on Melee Stun > Faster Attacks

Cast when Damage Taken (Level 1):
Enduring Cry (Level 5), Warlords Mark (Level 5)

Hatred > Reduced Mana > Devouring Totem > Faster Casting

Items:
Spoiler

Weapon: 2 Hand Mace with high pyhsical DPS. Good choises are Marohi Erqi and Kongor's Undying Rage or any good Physical Damage 2-Handed Mace.

Amulett: There is only one choice: Carnage Heart. We need this amulett to get our lifeleech without wasting one expensive socket. I would recommend a amulett with at least 8% leech.

For the rest: Get 2% mana leech, max resi and stack life and armor.

My current Items:
Spoiler

My current Stats:
Spoiler

All stats are only buffed with Hatred:

Defense with 5 Enurance Charges and Granite Flask:

Bandits:
Spoiler

Help Oak on all 3 difficulties.

F.A.Q.:
Spoiler

Q: "Why don't you use Lifeleech or Life on Hit?".
A: We use Carnage Heart Amulett and only do Physical Damage.

Q: "Why can't we use other skills?"
A: We need skills with pure physical damage. For example Infernal Blow converts 50% of physical damage to fire. So we would get 50% lower lifeleech from amulett.

Q: "Why do you skill Iron Refexes when you don't have much Evasion?"
A: Some highlevel maps will be done in a group. It is very likely that a partymember uses Grace aura.

Old Variant without Vaal Pact (won't be updated any more)
Spoiler

Skill Tree:
Spoiler

Final Passive Skill Tree - 104/120 Points:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAdwB5wJxBLMPzBLZFCAUTRiRGS4Z6Ro4Gj4b-iECITQhVSXfJ-0ppSr2MZ4yCTWSNug5DjrYOztBP0d-

SshN2E3jTipQR1BQUeZUSVhjWK9Z8185Xz9gxGVNZ1hqk2xGbmluqnJscql4DXuMfNmBb4M4hNmMdozPkFWePJ_LogCkGaZXpmSnMKeEqWipbqlzqZSrxayqtC-18rZBud2-

ir6nwA_AGsEExtjJmMqQ0k3Uj9Xt3D3d497B5K3nUuw47w7vfPAf8azyL_Pd9kj-jw==

If you play with Kongor's Undying Rage you should not use Resolute Technique from Passive Tree.
You can additionally spend some points on single resistance, dexternity or intelligence nodes if needed.

Gems:
Spoiler

Ground Slam:
Ground Slam > Multistrike > Melee Physical Damage > Faster Attacks > Concentrated Effect > Added Fire Damage/Blind/Endurance Charge on Melee Stun

Heavy Strike:
Heavy Strike > Multistrike > Melee Physical Damage > Faster Attacks > Added Fire Damage > Endurance Charge on Melee Stun/Blind

Leap Slam:
Leap Slam > Bloodmagic > Endurance Charge on Melee Stun > Faster Attacks

Cast when Damage Taken (Level 1):
Enduring Cry (Level 5), Warlords Mark (Level 5), Immortal Call (Level 3)

Cast when Damage Taken (Level 6):
Molten Shell (Level 10)

Hatred:
Reduced Mana

Items:
Spoiler

Weapon: 2 Hand Mace with high pyhsical DPS. Good choises are Marohi Erqi and

Kongor's Undying Rage or any good Physical Damage 2-Handed Mace.

Amulett: There is only one choice: Carnage Heart. We need this amulett to get our lifeleech without wasting

one expensive socket. I would recommend a amulett with at least 8% leech.

For the rest: Get 2% mana leech, max resi and stack life and armor.

Bandits:
Spoiler

Help Oak on all 3 difficulties.

Changes:
Spoiler

23.11 - Added Concentrated Effect (Thx to Skaarlok for the idea!)
24.11 - Added Passive Skilltree for Leveling and my current stats
11.12 - Change Gem setup, New SKilltree, Added Videos, Remove Bloodmagic Passive and run aura instead
12.12 - Updated Stats Picture, Changed back to Heavy Strike, Changes to Skilltree
27.12 - Updated Guide for Vaal Pact, new Video, new Stat Images,...
IGN: LaImmortelle, HeavyMetalDisco
Shop: 606890
Last edited by nexxx85 on Jan 9, 2014, 3:11:29 AM
Nice guide.

I will try it on my Marauder.

Thx for the guide.
I looked at your skill tree before your gear and I thought, man he must have some nice +int rings to not have int nodes on a GS build, but it looks like you don't use concentrated effect. How is multi-strike vs concentrated effect? I figured a primarily physical damage GS build with multi-strike and no concentrated effect would put out pretty lackluster dps, even with a decent 2h like you have.
I have never tried the concentrated effect, because I really like the bigger Area which gives also a good leech when more mobs are hitted.
Multistrike is also nice, because you slam into a group and let the autoaim kill all the mobs.

Edit:
I am currently testing your idea. I have switched Added Fire Damage to Concentrated Effect. After thinking about it, I came to the conclusion that it wont be a huge drawback. Addded Fire Damage is no phys dmg and won't let us leech. The CE scales up the phys dmg and grants more life leech. This should be the same ammount of life/sec even with a lower area of effect.
Last edited by nexxx85 on Nov 23, 2013, 4:17:15 PM
I have updated the guide concentrated effect gems (thx to Skaarlok) and added skilltree progression for leveling.

I have now tested the concentrated effect gem in maps up to 73 and it is working like a charm.
I didn't originate the idea of concentrated effect + GS, but np for letting you know. Just keep in mind it has a steep int requirement at higher levels.
I just specced 1 point to a 30int node. Now i can run a 18 CE. Gave me 2k pdps over Added Fire Damage. So it was worth it.
Last edited by nexxx85 on Nov 25, 2013, 2:07:01 AM
Updated:
Change Gem setup, New SKilltree, Added Videos, Remove Bloodmagic Passive and run aura instead
Would you say that Blood magic marauder is still viable? I hate mana problems... ofc mana leech and stuff is an option, but for me a "Warrior" shouldnt use mana (Roleplay :p) You only run mana now because of the aura right?
Yes, its playable...and it is working quite well.
But I've decided to remove Bloodmagic passive skill because I wanted to run an aura. Running Hatred gives me ~5k dps on groundslam, which is quite nice.

The "old" video shows the marauder with the bloodmagic skill.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info