Load-testing success and new race events

Earlier this week we ran a legion of load-testing bots on the realm to see if we could fill our new server hardware. We were successfully able to fit 54,000 bots concurrent users onto the realm, which is around what we estimated. With this result under our belts, we're well on-target for being ready for Open Beta by the 23rd as promised.

Players frequently suggest that we may need capacity for even higher user numbers once we enter Open Beta. This may be true, if we're lucky, but we're able to order more server hardware if and when that's the case. We're able to get hardware set up within six hours of having a need for it, so if we do have peak concurrency higher than 50,000 users, we should be able to cope with it. These servers aren't cheap, so we don't want to waste the money that you have generously supported us with.

By the way, the load-testing bots had a ladder race.

Speaking of ladder races, the recent one-week hardcore race went really well. Many people devoted a heap of time to it and there was tension between the top players right to the end. Kripparrian posted a summary video about the event.

We've announced five short-duration races over the next week. They're over at the Events forum. Good luck!

The 0.9.13k patch will be deployed sometime in the next week. It will modify how global chat works in preparation for Open Beta.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
rings2
"
Chris wrote:
The 0.9.13k patch will be deployed sometime in the next week. It will modify how global chat works in preparation for Open Beta.

Seems the disable toggle was implimented some time ago, thanks anyway though!
KoTao ~ 90 CI Crit Caster Shadow ~ HC League
I'm sad that GGG_Private_ltb_ujca got 2nd.. He deserved first place.
IGN:WhereAreYourZombies
Cool stuff. Btw why did you remove "/online"?
IGN: Flashy | League:Nemesis | Time Zone: GMT 0 (UK) | Play Time: Somewhere Between 10:00 - 02:00
To be honest servers lagged quite frequently when those bots were ran. Nothing major most of the time but from time to time there was huge lagspike on EU, I once had 4-5s lag in the middle of several mobs on the map (you can guess the result).
But fingers crossed that launch will be as smooth as possible.
"
Jillys wrote:
Cool stuff. Btw why did you remove "/online"?


We haven't yet found time to re-implement that command after we broke it by sharding the database to three servers.

"
Xelrah88 wrote:
To be honest servers lagged quite frequently when those bots were ran. Nothing major most of the time but from time to time there was huge lagspike on EU, I once had 4-5s lag in the middle of several mobs on the map (you can guess the result).
But fingers crossed that launch will be as smooth as possible.


The load-testing would not affect the lag that the game client experiences. It was entirely for stressing our back-end network that is used for saving, party requests, etc. During our test there was no measured delay on any of those internal activities. The lag you experienced would be an internet issue at your ISP or at an ISP between your one and our data center.

(To cut a long story short, when there are wayyy too many players online, you don't experience lag. What happens is that players either can't change area or get disconnected in batches. Thankfully these issues shouldn't occur because we have tested that we can handle the amount of players we have budgeted for.)
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
rings2
"
Chris wrote:
The 0.9.13k patch will be deployed sometime in the next week. It will modify how global chat works in preparation for Open Beta.


Trade channel? :D
Exhale the warm air, wipe the mirror to the soul
As I tossed all my "sorry" to the sky.
Last edited by reitaaaxD on January 3, 2013 11:19 AM
I will donate another 200 EUR if we need more servers. I mean, as my finnacial staus allows me at that point :P.

Chris don't worry we will donate more, if it's gonna be urgent :P. And for implementation of Physix system in the future.


Best Regards, Fary :)
GGG thank you for all the great things you are doing. You have combined every element of all other great Rpg's and joined them together as one Diamond, that will shine Forever.

This is coming straight from the heart <3

"
Chris wrote:
"
Xelrah88 wrote:
To be honest servers lagged quite frequently when those bots were ran. Nothing major most of the time but from time to time there was huge lagspike on EU, I once had 4-5s lag in the middle of several mobs on the map (you can guess the result).
But fingers crossed that launch will be as smooth as possible.


The load-testing would not affect the lag that the game client experiences. It was entirely for stressing our back-end network that is used for saving, party requests, etc. During our test there was no measured delay on any of those internal activities. The lag you experienced would be an internet issue at your ISP or at an ISP between your one and our data center.

(To cut a long story short, when there are wayyy too many players online, you don't experience lag. What happens is that players either can't change area or get disconnected in batches. Thankfully these issues shouldn't occur because we have tested that we can handle the amount of players we have budgeted for.)


It could be routing to datacenter, but ISP itself isn`t very likely as it lasted for few days during which my connection seemed to work normally.
Regardless, as I said constant delay wasn't major. Only rare spikes were killers when I was unable to act for a few seconds.

Anyways I hope that there won't be any issues with launch. Looking forward to it.
"
reitaaaxD wrote:
"
Chris wrote:
The 0.9.13k patch will be deployed sometime in the next week. It will modify how global chat works in preparation for Open Beta.


Trade channel? :D


please I pray that PoE chat isnt like diablo chat where you join and 8 random people are in it max at all times
Rampage ranger time

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info