A good suggestion for ladder, different tiers or leagues

Quite a few people will say when it comes to competitive games, matchmaking players with similar skill level is important. Starcraft and League of Legends are good examples of games that divide players into leagues based on win/loss ratio on the seasons ladder. Starcraft has bronze, silver, gold, platinum, diamond, and master league.

Starcraft 2 was a complicated game and so is path of exile. I have read multiple times about players not participating in pvp because of the veterans just stomping them repeatedly. I think Tiers of ladders separating players in PoE pvp would deter this. Each Ladder Tier will have some seasonal skin or achievement or title that lets people know how well they did.

Having prizes for each Tier will motivate players trying to get into pvp more. If they finish season top of the nooby tier, they will still have something to remember their hardwork.
There may be others ways to encourage newer players to pvp than this but I thought it was a good example of ways which EASILY could successfully encourage pvp.

now it takes alot players to have a PvP ladder system like this thrive and give people enough opponents to match make within their skill tier and keep it flowing without long Queue matches. Seasonal Prizes Is what makes all the PoE players come to the Yard!
On guildwars a little title under your name was really nothing to me, but some players spent thousands of hours trying to earn these titles. It really goes to show that prestige is what alot of competitive players are after, not just some BFG reward that troll stomps everyone with its glory.

PoE has already created an achievement system with iconic forum indicators of how well players have done during a particular race season, I am pretty sure it was onslaught and anarchy league, you even won a T-SHirt omg!
I Stream PvP Twitch.tv/GrindcoreTHRALL
THE STORY OF MY Descent into the Abysmal Afterlife( HC to SC, too Stronk!)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/346754
PK massacre, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldz09uBZ-ug
Last edited by GrindcoreTHRALL on Aug 29, 2013, 5:53:12 AM
This is the right line of thinking but we don't need separate leagues, at least not for the population and skill deviation we expect. StarCraft 2 has millions of players and professional competition, that's why tiers and leagues are necessary.

POE just needs a ladder and match making rating. ELO would work but I'm partial to Trueskill. PvP could earn points towards the ladder and ratings could partially reset at the end of each season. PvP should be cross-league to diminish matching times. Separate leagues for Normal and Cruel are a good idea, people like low level dueling.
Want to Fix the Economy, Bad Loot, Trade and Legacy PvP? pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/548056
Open Letter to Qarl on Crafting Value pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/805434
Biggest Problem with Mapping: Inconsistent Risk to Reward pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/612507
"
Veta321 wrote:
This is the right line of thinking but we don't need separate leagues, at least not for the population and skill deviation we expect. StarCraft 2 has millions of players and professional competition, that's why tiers and leagues are necessary.

POE just needs a ladder and match making rating. ELO would work but I'm partial to Trueskill. PvP could earn points towards the ladder and ratings could partially reset at the end of each season. PvP should be cross-league to diminish matching times. Separate leagues for Normal and Cruel are a good idea, people like low level dueling.

This is my thing too whenever I hear someone suggest rankings. If two people are queued with a high rank they should face each other before a lower ranked person. But realistically POE has 5-10k people playing daily and if they don't allow for cross league battles it will be divided across 4 leagues.

If I managed to get into the higher ranks, I want to PVP, if I can't find someone to face I'm just going to make a new account and stomp on newbies. I rather be dominating fights instead of sleeping on my high ranked account.
Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info