[Descent] Duelist honor restored

after shamefully dying with a Duelist on level 1 in a previous event, I beat my personal best, didn't die, and finished 590th (first time in top 1000).
only a client crash in 2nd area, kept me from placing in the top 500 (maybe even 400).

but the downside of it all - and please don't kill me guys, it just has to be said - Duelist has by far the best starting point and superior game-play in Descent.

and the best indication something is wrong, can be found in the fact almost half the people chose this class.

GGG, please buff the other classes. make them equally competitive.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Jul 2, 2013, 6:39:25 PM
I agree that the other classes should be buffed, but duelists shouldn't be nerfed. They are fun and effective. All classes should be.
Although a little less user-friendly, Ranger is posting average results similar to Duelist, and its starting area is horrible. I think skill gem balance and AoE availability is a far bigger balance issue for Descent races than passive tree.

Also Alkaizer's figured out some kind of Marauder tech that's consistently super-effective, so I'm not terribly worried about the big uglies. It's the int-based classes which need help.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
@otinanai2 my point exactly - buff other classes instead of down-toning Duelist.

I didn't try Ranger and Witch in Descent yet, but from what I heard the starting skills are mostly single-target - and this sounds just terrible.

Witch for example, had the least amount of players in the recent event.
why? probably because a Fireball and Raise Zombies against the horde of monsters coming at you from the start, is just as bad as it sounds.
why not give her Firestorm? something that hits more than one beetle at a time, and doesn't cause you to run out of mana and be overrun?

maybe it's a challenge actually: pick a Witch.
it that case, I'll give it a try :)
I don't expect to get the same results as with Marauder (ran out of time after killing Goddess of Purity at level 11) or Duelist (ran out of time in monkey caves, almost level 13, killed Merveil) - but ranking in the top 3000 overall but top 10 Witch sounds amusing :)
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Jul 3, 2013, 3:43:04 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info