Logout on crash

When my graphics driver crashes and vkWaitForFences throws due to ERR_DEVICE_LOST, the PoE executable doesn't instantly CtD, instead it shows a messagebox listing the exception message. Not very useful to me of course, because the game is closed source, but it does show me that there's some sort of global try catch block for when chaos reigns and fire has fallen from the sky.

It would be very very nice indeed if, within that except block that shows the messagebox, PoE also checked for a logged in session, and sent the logout message too. The connection is probably still around at that point (though I haven't checked), and whatever credentials needed to send the message are likely still in memory, (again, not checked).

If my client had that little bit of extra functionality, I would still have some characters in the league. Unfortunately, however, they died, because recovering from the crash and logging back in took so long that the impotent white mobs near them tickled them to death.
sigfault
Last bumped on Jun 7, 2023, 8:41:49 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I don't understand the technicalities of this. But the server side needs a better DC handling overall.... My longest recovered ping spike was 90k (90seconds) of non-responsive game on my side, after which the game continued. Some suggested that it might be due to some packets actually making it to the server, but from my perspective game was 100% unresponsive.
I don't disagree, but server-side crash handling is a lot harder to do right. Either you disco people on X seconds of no heartbeat, which causes people playing on WiFi to get mad that they're playing normally and then disco because the time's too short, or causes people in HC to get mad that they logged out but died anyway because the time's too long. Often both simultaneously.

Any smarter ways to discover when a player has legitimately lost control are subject to gaming.

Simply put, while I like your direction, I don't think there's a road ahead of it, and I think asking for something small like I did in the OP is more likely to receive action.
sigfault
"
AintCare wrote:
I don't understand the technicalities of this. But the server side needs a better DC handling overall.... My longest recovered ping spike was 90k (90seconds) of non-responsive game on my side, after which the game continued. Some suggested that it might be due to some packets actually making it to the server, but from my perspective game was 100% unresponsive.

90 seconds is nothing...

I once stayed ingame for 45 minutes while my ISP had some issues. I didn't close the game since I was in the room before the last Izaro in Uber Lab (and I HATE lab)

I was able to continue my run after the ISP recovered
"
Asday wrote:
I don't disagree, but server-side crash handling is a lot harder to do right. Either you disco people on X seconds of no heartbeat, which causes people playing on WiFi to get mad that they're playing normally and then disco because the time's too short, or causes people in HC to get mad that they logged out but died anyway because the time's too long. Often both simultaneously.

Any smarter ways to discover when a player has legitimately lost control are subject to gaming.

Simply put, while I like your direction, I don't think there's a road ahead of it, and I think asking for something small like I did in the OP is more likely to receive action.

Here is an idea- Options>Game>Disconnect threshold. I play on wifi, and 2-3sec is ok, but 30+? clearly my WiFi has dropped

"
kisatan wrote:
"
AintCare wrote:

90 seconds is nothing...

I once stayed ingame for 45 minutes while my ISP had some issues. I didn't close the game since I was in the room before the last Izaro in Uber Lab (and I HATE lab)

I was able to continue my run after the ISP recovered

Thanks for giving me a good laugh :) ... this is actually an impressive feat of engineering by GGG, saving your lab run at all cost. gg
Last edited by AintCare on Jun 6, 2023, 7:15:22 PM
Yes, game crash should come with instant disconnect (edit: the logout kind if that was not clear) obviously. And for a competent programmer it would be easy to do so that it works in most cases.

And there should be a fully customizable disconnect timer instead of a fixed one that (apparently) doesnt even work properly.

(And both complaints are very old, GGG apparently doesnt care. Or intentionally screws over HC players.)
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!
Last edited by Zrevnur on Jun 7, 2023, 8:42:30 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info