Re-work MANA

This game is utterly ridiculous at the moment. Every build should not rely on lifetap, eldritch battery or mana on hit / leech.

Also for the love of god re-work the skill gems. There are literally only 5-10 good skill gems that are useable if that at league start. Pretty simple fix here DO IT!
Last bumped on Jun 7, 2023, 12:11:26 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Since you mentioned every build relying on Lifetap, Eldritch Battery and or Mana on Hit / Leech, I run none of those.

Inspriation / Divergent Inspiration exists alongside Clarity as an aura and reduced mana costs in various parts of the skill tree or straight up crafting reduced mana cost.
The problem is lifetap, flasks, mana on hit, EB, and mana leech exist and trivialize resource management while at the same time, big percentage reservation auras give massive increases in build power and are essentially mandatory.

There’s no good incentive to build around using mana as a real resource that you need for sustained skill use and the opportunity costs are huge.

It’s hard to fix without changing auras. Maybe they should be a mana drain instead of reservation akin to the old arctic armor. Maybe drain per reservation even to combat aura stacking.
People use different mechanics to sustain their mana/ ability resource in the best suitable way for their builds. How tragic ;(

I mean be glad that the game allows you to use different approaches to sustain your characters mana in different ways instead of having no options at all.

I also run just inspiration with reduced mana cost on both rings and I'm pretty much fine without any of the other stuff. Sure I could run my entire build on lifetap but that's just a early cheap option and just a waste of damage later on.
Flames and madness. I'm so glad I didn't miss the fun. hoho
"
The problem is lifetap, flasks, mana on hit, EB, and mana leech exist and trivialize resource management while at the same time, big percentage reservation auras give massive increases in build power and are essentially mandatory.

There’s no good incentive to build around using mana as a real resource that you need for sustained skill use and the opportunity costs are huge.

It’s hard to fix without changing auras. Maybe they should be a mana drain instead of reservation akin to the old arctic armor. Maybe drain per reservation even to combat aura stacking.

I wouldn't want all aura's going to a drain mechanic but adding more drain mechanics is definitely something i'd like to see, we could have % aura's and flat aura's and then aura's that drain as their cost.

Wanted to say another type of "buff" as well with its own limits like Guard Skills but we have Blessings which are technically poppable buffs though they're just the same old aura's we know now.

Edit: Give these back

dont care if you nerf mana globally, give it back!
Innocence forgives you
Last edited by SilentSymphony on Jun 1, 2023, 3:41:26 PM
Does anyone think the game would be better if you had to rely on not reserving mana and either using mana potions at all times or waiting for resource gen / cooldowns to use a skill again?

You can make your mana infinite, same as all the things listed in the OP, I don't really see what the issue is here.
talking about rework ... the weirdest thing ever is that melee fighters need mana to swing their weapon.

i see that mana is a replacement for endurance in this case and renaming/adding it could confuse the player base .... but

since we probably lose all the casual folks to d4 anyway, it wouldn't hurt to rework the system, make it more complex, and add some disadvantage to casters to balance melee/spells

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Vesuvius079

"It’s hard to fix without changing auras. Maybe they should be a mana drain instead of reservation akin to the old arctic armor. Maybe drain per reservation even to combat aura stacking."

Very interesting, if GGG does decide to add on a mana drain it depends on how severe it'll be to brick my aurastacker.

With all my increased aura effects on a level 25 Clarity I can regenerate 321.2 mana per second. I could get a little bit more if I had a level 21 corrupted Clarity and a tad bit more with a level 5 Awakened Empower supporting it.

From there I'd reduce my Fireball skill cost to 1 to still get the damage boost from a Divergent Inspiration.

Arctic Armour, Tempest Shield, Heralds, Stances like Blood and Sand don't have the aura tag, so are they still going to be subject to this drain tax too since you just want to combat aurastacking? Otherwise you want all reservation skills to be taxed with a mana drain.

How would you like to do your mana drain tax on flat reservations like Vitality, Clarity and Precision?

Determination = 50% Reservation
Anger = 50% Reservation
Zealotry = 50% Reservation
Haste = 50% Reservation
Discipline = 35% Reservation
Purity of Fire = 35% Reservation
Dread Banner = 10% Reservation

If each reservation of only aura tagged skills were hit with a mana drain of 1; then, I'd lose 280 mana per second because I have no idea how you would calculate the loss of Vitality, Clarity and Precision.

Regardless of what happens I'll always try to make aurastacking work unless GGG truly wants it dead in which case I can't really do anything about that.

Now for people who want to only run 2-3 auras how are they going to deal with all this mana loss? Or do you only want this punishment and tax on aurastackers only so once they surpass a threshold then the mana drain kicks in?

How many auras does one have to stack before they're considered an aurastacker?
"
Vesuvius079

"It’s hard to fix without changing auras. Maybe they should be a mana drain instead of reservation akin to the old arctic armor. Maybe drain per reservation even to combat aura stacking."

Very interesting, if GGG does decide to add on a mana drain it depends on how severe it'll be to brick my aurastacker.

With all my increased aura effects on a level 25 Clarity I can regenerate 321.2 mana per second. I could get a little bit more if I had a level 21 corrupted Clarity and a tad bit more with a level 5 Awakened Empower supporting it.

From there I'd reduce my Fireball skill cost to 1 to still get the damage boost from a Divergent Inspiration.

Arctic Armour, Tempest Shield, Heralds, Stances like Blood and Sand don't have the aura tag, so are they still going to be subject to this drain tax too since you just want to combat aurastacking? Otherwise you want all reservation skills to be taxed with a mana drain.

How would you like to do your mana drain tax on flat reservations like Vitality, Clarity and Precision?

Determination = 50% Reservation
Anger = 50% Reservation
Zealotry = 50% Reservation
Haste = 50% Reservation
Discipline = 35% Reservation
Purity of Fire = 35% Reservation
Dread Banner = 10% Reservation

If each reservation of only aura tagged skills were hit with a mana drain of 1; then, I'd lose 280 mana per second because I have no idea how you would calculate the loss of Vitality, Clarity and Precision.

Regardless of what happens I'll always try to make aurastacking work unless GGG truly wants it dead in which case I can't really do anything about that.

Now for people who want to only run 2-3 auras how are they going to deal with all this mana loss? Or do you only want this punishment and tax on aurastackers only so once they surpass a threshold then the mana drain kicks in?

How many auras does one have to stack before they're considered an aurastacker?

as long as auras reserve a % of mana then mana builds will feel horrible, few ideas that come to mind to make mana more atractive:

*new support for auras:
-linked auras gain 1% increased effect for every "x" mana they reserve
-linked auras gain 2% increased effect for every "x" life they reserve
each level add 1% to base mana reservation of linked skill

*buff mind over matter and add a few conditional Regenerate % of Mana per second

*remove the limit to nodes like prodigal perfection or Dark Ideation

*rework hierophant mana branch
-divine guidance: 25% more mana, transfiguration of mind
-sanctuary of thought: Gain 20% of Maximum Mana as Extra Maximum Energy Shield, 1% increased Area of Effect per 50 Unreserved Maximum Mana (limit removed)
-sanctuary of body (new): 20% of Damage is taken from Mana before Life, Regenerate 2% of Mana per second

*rework archmage to give more spell damage based on mana cost instead of added lightning damage so it has better sinergy with the rest of the spells and change superior quality from 0.5% increased Mana Cost per 1% quality to 2% increased mana cost per 1% quality.
self found league fan

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/324242/page/1

Last edited by caboom on Jun 5, 2023, 11:12:59 PM
I think Mana needs one more layer, but I do not know what would be good. Like I find it boring most end games is always about reserving everything you can. I've heard of a suggestion that reserving mana could reduce mana regeneration/recovery. For example have the base mana regeneration of 1.8% be instead from unreserved mana. But please buff the base to 3.6% or something. While it sounds cool and all, the problem with this might be that it would drive 0-mana cost builds by the end of it just so people could reserve all of their mana again.
Last edited by Celd on Jun 7, 2023, 12:12:08 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info