RIP PoE

Hi there folks, long-time player here returning after a few years off. I gave PoE a try in 2011 but started playing for real when it went out of beta in the winter of 2013-2014. I've had a number of extended breaks and PoE has had more players and quality of life each time I've returned, this league being no exception.

There's a constant in the forums and Reddit that is as true today as it was back in the day: they are always full of posts and threads by people complaining and claiming GGG is killing PoE and the game will be dead if it continues in the same direction.

If PoE wasn't getting killed by GGG's design choices, it would invariably be slain by the next shiny new ARPG that was right around the corner: D3, Grim Dawn, Lost Ark, Last Epoch, Wolcen, and this time around it will be killed for sure by D4.

The only reasonable conclusion is that PoE is a self-reincarnating necro minion that gets buffed each time it's killed and only comes back with a vengeance. I can't wait for D4 and PoE 2 to put another nail in that coffin. The king is dead, long live the king!

ps. Crucible really is pretty bad right now, pls fix :3
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Apr 10, 2023, 5:28:45 AM
Last bumped on May 2, 2023, 1:48:05 PM
Crucible really IS bad. I hope they fix it
Censored.
There is an interesting dissonance to early league criticism: you need to have played it enough to collect some achievements to do so convincingly.

And for all its self-proclaimed brutality, PoE loves to hand out a few of them for doing nothing more than turning up and engaging with the league a little.

It's the one instance in which GGG seem to have fully embraced the Participation Award approach so many Exiles revile and use as an example of why PoE is superior.

Meanwhile GGG's fast and loose gold star dispensation, impossible to hide afaik unless you give feedback on an alt account, makes it kinda hard to say "this league is terrible!" when it's clear you have still participated in it enough to get dem badges. As usual, some interesting but largely pointless mindgames.

PS PoE kept wanting to be PoS on my phone. This may be deeply prophetic. Maybe.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
kolyaboo wrote:
Crucible really IS bad. I hope they fix it

From today's Crucible update:

"
Apr 10, 2023 6:45 PM (EDT) - We are planning to rebalance the rate you get Geodes and Crucible Tree Experience so that you get more from moderate difficulty encounters and it doesn't feel mandatory to push yourself to do the incredibly difficult encounters.

Apr 10, 2023 6:45 PM (EDT) - We are rebalancing Crucible monsters, especially with regards to them currently being too tanky.

Apr 10, 2023 6:45 PM (EDT) - We have a plan to increase visibility and granularity of encounter difficulty.

I might take a bit of a break and wait for that to happen! =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
PoE has long since evolved beyond of being reliant on its core gameplay for success. No new game can kill it in short-term, and would require some incredible effort even long-term.

Honestly, as long as the forums are full of doomsayers PoE will be fine. If that negativity ever starts noticeably lessening, it'll be one of the signs that PoE is dying.
Yup, Crucible is dogshit right now. I don't remember the last time when I completely ignored the league mechanic well into maps. I'm sure they'll adjust it to being slightly less shit though.

It doesn't matter that much to me because last time I played for real was in Delirium league, so it has plenty of new and interesting stuff for me without any league content.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
It is the same every league, new mobs are over-tuned.
Is PoE dead? Nah.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
i like the photo in op thread

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info