Cant tell difference between monster and player

The Problem: Right now when I'm partying with others I find it difficult to tell who is a player and who is a mob when fighting humanoids. And really if my character wasnt always in the center I'd probably lose track of him as well. Everyone looks so similar. The armor that is provided looks so plain, its obvious our enemies are wearing a lot of these same armor pieces.

My Solution:
Make armor shiny! Make the colors come out more on the armors we wear. Let the detail on our armor be on a different level compared to that on mobs.

Other Thoughts:
IMO a lot of the problem also stems from the issue that once wearing armor, our character no longer resembles what we were at all. Look at D2, when a barb was wearing armor you could still tell it was a barb because he wore a piece of armor differently then a amazon would wear the same armor. So if you made it so that each class or at least similar classes wore armor differently, it would be easier to see whos who. I know that might be a lot of work, but that would be IMO the most effective.
Last edited by MrFroho on Aug 14, 2011, 8:05:43 PM
Or make the humanoid mobs look less like the characters we play. :P

I too am having quite a hard time differentiating too though.
Having just played with a small group of people, I would have to agree. It found myself trying to attack my teammates frequently. It also doesn't help that the color of the health bars on mouse over are the same for friend and enemy. friendly health bars should be a different color.
"
MrFroho wrote:

My Solution:
Make armor shiny! Make the colors come out more on the armors we wear. Let the detail on our armor be on a different level compared to that on mobs.

Other Thoughts:
IMO a lot of the problem also stems from the issue that once wearing armor, our character no longer resembles what we were at all. Look at D2, when a barb was wearing armor you could still tell it was a barb because he wore a piece of armor differently then a amazon would wear the same armor. So if you made it so that each class or at least similar classes wore armor differently, it would be easier to see whos who.

I have to say that even though you are right with player distinction, i personally like the current design. The game uses pretty realistic textures, and it completely succeeds in simulating a medieval, gothic atmosphere / world.
That said, players looking the same as their enemies is completely natural and important if you ask me.

As for the second statement about d2, that thing about armours on different characters was kinda strange. I never liked it or understood it. How can the exact same armor look completely different on each class? I'd rather stick with PoE's realism
---------------------------------------------------
~ Main character: Butcher (marauder, softcore) ~

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1862/highlight/color
I agree with this. I've recently partied with a few rangers in Act 2 and it was really confusing. They (sometimes) look exactly the same as the archer-type enemies.

Perhaps some kind of colored outline of friendly party members would fix this (temporarily).
-- Shin

A soft(core) Marauder of the Leagues
Totally agree, there's virtually no distinction at times.

even if we could just get different colors on the player health bars, that would be great!

I've caught myself shooting party members, as well as minions lol. Different color health bars for the 3 would have put a quick stop to that.
Agreed!

Oh god.... pity the party with zombies and skeletons fighting zombies and skeletons... I can't even tell what is going on, and I just walk to the side and stop playing the game for a minute until I can figure out what is going on...

I wish monsters were highlighted even when not selected, especially behind objects like walls. Maybe make that an option we can turn off or on?
I can't agree more here. I have the same problem ... with the zombie.

I rolled a witch and got the zombie gem. Now, I seem to be trying to kill my own minion than the other zombies.

Suggestions
- You really need to make the characters better. I suggest that you improve the graphics for the 6 character types so that they look better.
- Get better armor . Everything looks so drab.
- Blue / Red circles. If you put blue circles at the base of the characters and minions, and red at the base of the mobs, it will help. Probably have this as an option setting.
"
MrFroho wrote:

My Solution:

go play chineas games

how can you not understand where your hero is? arent you using skills and such?
Proud to have a beta key.
Proud of the GGG staff.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info