Guild Wars 2 anno 2018

Never played the first thought it was for wannabes and it seemed like it was for roleplayers not for real ARPG'ers.. so left that alone.

Did start playing GW2 now after having cast it aside as a joke from pure assumption, turns out its really good. I greatly underestimated. Think it was also slammed in reviews back then for lacking endgame etc. Guess i'm into lighter endgame now, less guild commitments, more roaming and farming visual gear etc.

Easy fun, good when i don't play 24/7 like i used to. Give it a try its free to play with access to nearly everything at least until max level even without buying the game. It's surprisingly complicated in a light way? Weird way to describe it but i think they did some things really well.

Also love how easy it is to quest etc, i can really burn myself out on completing areas when i don't know what i miss etc. Here it's so easy you can just faceroll through and the map itself will actually show you what you miss. Also don't need to pick up the quests or hand them in, just use your map and clear the shit and move on. So easy, love it. People seem pretty happy here as well. Lots of quality of life things as well, i think also they have some epic looking gear.

Gotta admit, at first i checked out the classes and such to get an idea and i almost lost interest, but its growing on me fast when i did decide to give it a try anyway.

Okay i'm a sucker for crystalline things just look at these wings dammit!

Video of wings

Just look at those things! best wings i ever saw methinks. And don't worry it's not all shiny shiny.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Feb 2, 2018, 9:38:33 PM
Last bumped on Feb 19, 2018, 8:05:11 AM
LOL. You really screwed the pooch in your assessment of Guild Wars 1. You could be more wrong but damn it'd take work. Your loss.

And amusingly, GW2 is much more 'for roleplayers' than GW1 ever was. GW2 went so casual on the mechanics and the skill system that many hardcore GW1 players were left very underwhelmed. It's pretty enough and there's plenty to do but it's not a worthy successor to the legendary Guild Wars 1.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Maybe so, but I'm not afraid to admit how i felt then. Wouldn't ever have traded my days of wows prime for GW1 so no regrets in that regard.

I realize a lot of the old GW1 crowd think GW2 is much worse etc, as always with sequels but i i just judge it based on it's own inherent qualities and found it a great game thus far.

Same as the old star wars fans who can't stand the prequel trilogy. They don't see it for what it is, they see it as not being what the old was and thereby inferior. But then you look at their arguments like the acting was much better or lines better etc and the old star wars has some of the most cringy dialog ever and the acting is strikingly bad at times.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
"
Crackmonster wrote:
I realize a lot of the old GW1 crowd think GW2 is much worse etc, as always with sequels but i i just judge it based on it's own inherent qualities and found it a great game thus far.

Same as the old star wars fans who can't stand the prequel trilogy. They don't see it for what it is, they see it as not being what the old was and thereby inferior. But then you look at their arguments like the acting was much better or lines better etc and the old star wars has some of the most cringy dialog ever and the acting is strikingly bad at times.

That's not entirely a fair comparision though, if you ask me. Quite simply, a movie is a movie. There's better and worse movies, but OG Star Wars and prequel Star Wars are in the same genre with the same basic principles. Script, actors, camera, sci-fi space ninjas. Guild Wars 2 and Guild Wars 1 are almost nothing alike, except universe. As if it was suddenly a documentary about people and nature, the actor replaced with a literal plastic bag.

Guild Wars 1 is built on the premise that you cannot do anything* on your own. There's more than a thousand Skills a character can choose from, having access to every profession and choosing two, but you only get to bring eight Skills along. Can't invest in every Attribute line, either. It's simply not enough to protect yourself and still kill enemies. 's Why you get to bring seven other characters, create a team, with synergy and shit.
Outside of town, everything is instanced. Get the party together, set out into a private instance. Monsters don't just respawn, and there's no 1500-man world battles. Because it's all instanced, setup occurs beforehand - you know what you're facing, adjust accordingly. Enemy doesn't come with Condition removal, but has a lot of Casters? Fuck yeah let's roll Fevered Dream for this one.
Gear was very static outside of looks, honestly. It was easy to get perfect gear, or 1% off if you're cheap (what no I never).

Outside of Dungeon runs, which were absurdly difficult at the start btw, none of this applies to Guild Wars 2. Not nearly a similar choice in Skill set (only one profession, tied to weapon choice, no Attribute minmaxing, bah). Not instanced. Not party-based. No synergy between characters, just stacking of generic Buffs and Debuffs. Top-end gear was suddenly a grind. Outside of dungeons it didn't matter one bit what everyone was playing, it'll work out somehow regardless.

People were looking for Guild Wars 2. Instead, ANet released Guild Wars "what if it were an MMO instead". People who compared the two and favoured GW1 have valid complaints. Facts. It wasn't about the visual quality (everyone agreed GW2 is gorgeous), rarely about the writing. Yes, it's about differences, but they're differences that factually change what the game plays like. What the goal is, and the method towards said goal. It's like ArmA and Call of Duty. Both kind of the same genre, but with little overlap in playerbase due to factual differences in gameplay.

Guild Wars 2 is a fine game.
It's not Guild Wars.
I don't enjoy it.

* = specialized solo farming builds do exist of course, but they are outnumbered by group-based farming builds, and every general-purpose build is eight-man.
I loved GW2 as a couples game. It's pretty much perfect for that. It's just so fleshed out, party-friendly and huge. If she leveled past me, the game balanced that. And vice versa. And the fashion meta, damn, top notch endgame right there. And it's a worthy sequel to the world and story GW1 set up. More than worthy.

But it will always be, at best, GW1's hotter, younger, but ultimately just-not-as-smart sibling, never its own thing.

re Star Wars: I think the prequels are excellent in all but a few crucial ways (bad script, bad directing, Jar Jar Binks, Kid Anakin and Kid Bobba). The music was incredible, the lightsaber duels exhilarating, the actors were first class (even Haydensen, who is great in other things) and unlike the vapid new trilogy, the prequels had a sense of scale worthy of the word 'galaxy'. As for those bad aspects, SW: The Clone Wars fixed those -- to a point where Anakin is a complex, layered character and Jar Jar Binks, well, he's tolerable. More importantly Clone Wars gave us Ahsoka Tano, the 501st, and Asajj Ventress. It also gave us the best lightsaber duels ever portrayed on screen, bar none.

And Rebels, while I'm on that rant, gave us, well...

Spoiler
FULL POWER VADER AND THRAWN.

Without the prequels, we wouldn't have Clone Wars or Rebels. And anyone who calls themselves a Star Wars fan but hasn't seen (or refuses to watch) Clone Wars or Rebels is doing themselves an incredible disservice.

In the same way, GW2 is worth checking out for fans of the incredible lore established in GW1. Tyria is easily one of the best fantasy worlds in computer game history. It's up there with Norrath, Nirn and Britannia...and it mightily shits on that bloated cheese factory Azeroth.

...Huh, and GW1 is still running. That's amazing. I know at least one GGG dev fairly recently reinstalled it to give it a look. Tempting...
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Feb 3, 2018, 8:24:10 AM
I can see your points. That sort of change is bound to make people feel betrayed essentially because they made it something different but called it a sequel.

However, I'm just an outsider and i have no previous knowledge of GW so i come with a clean slate in regards to expectations(almost). From what you say i can tell why i was biased against GW1, it's not my style at all especially forced parties for everything. I like to party every now and then but just like in real life i'm a lone wolf and i need to walk my own paths. I guess that's why i automatically assumed GW2 would be the same and so left it alone.

I try to play all ARPG's that i for some reason come across. Here i found one that seems hands down great. Just like Elder Scrolls Online is a really great game but plagued by those who wanted it to be something else and gave it bad press. So yea i get that the situation isn't exactly like star wars, but then again it is because star wars changed in ways which is what folks react to as well. Biased, for better or for worse.

I personally can't care i just search for games that are great to play and when i find them i sometimes mention them here. And GW2 is a great game. It's straight up simply fun and i can get carried away by the visual "endgame" as well so it's great for me. Also, for example i play mesmer and even though they are redesigning in a few days i can easily tell that it's a super skill class, very complex to master and i love that.

You say also there is an endgame grind in GW2? Maybe compared to the first one but in comparison to other MMO's its almost nonexistant and brought up as one of the strengths/weaknesses by many, that it is not a super heavy grind to get BiS gear. Which is perfect for me so i can just roam around killing bosses/events, gathering materials, do PvP and dungeons with randoms.

As far as difficulty goes, even though i'm just like level 37 now i think(had a lady friend staying here last few weeks so didnt get to play much :/) it is already obvious that there are so many things that i cant do solo and that i die really easy on dps if i don't pay attention and even if i do it's not always enough. Basically what i am saying is, this game isn't that easy like most MMO's where you can just faceroll and for me it is a breath of fresh air that everything isn't just free win. I personally don't mind class system and even here it's not just the same abilities the same class runs around with, you can't have all etc.

Last edited by Crackmonster on Feb 3, 2018, 10:12:43 AM
Just a short comment now, sorry! Time sucks.

"
Crackmonster wrote:
However, I'm just an outsider and i have no previous knowledge of GW so i come with a clean slate in regards to expectations(almost). From what you say i can tell why i was biased against GW1, it's not my style at all especially forced parties for everything. I like to party every now and then but just like in real life i'm a lone wolf and i need to walk my own paths. I guess that's why i automatically assumed GW2 would be the same and so left it alone.

Heroes are ~amazing~. Don't need other people, just other characters. :p
Heroes are AI that you give a skillbar, gear and attribute layout to; Henchmen are the prefabricated versions which are useful to start out with as well. Primary Profession for heroes is locked (but you get 2-3 Heroes of each Profession), anything else can be changed on the fly as per usual. Very potent if handled well, can do almost everything including Hard Mode postgame shit with a good team of Heroes.

"
Crackmonster wrote:
You say also there is an endgame grind in GW2?

The original grind for Legendary equipment was stupendous (it was reduced later), and then they added some sort of repeatable dungeon with even better gear or some shit? (hence the grind for legendary gear being reduced lol)
GW2 is light on grind - for an MMO. GW1 isn't an MMO, it doesn't do grind except for cosmetics.

edit @bk: as a GvG monk screw you screw you screw you
<3
Last edited by Vipermagi on Feb 3, 2018, 4:37:20 PM
By the time Nightfall (second 'expansion' of sorts) came out, GW1 had henchmen and fully customizable heroes that allowed you to do pretty much everything in the game bar a couple of endgame areas where AI wouldn't quite cut it. It turned into a very soloable game outside of PvP, which I'd never got into because the combat was so opaque to read.

For combat where you can actually see what's going on without reading cast bars, GW2 has done a far better job. It's a much more engaging game to fight in, albeit a bit too spammy and lacking the tactical depth in designing and playing your build.

But the biggest downfall has been the PvP game modes, again, because they threw the baby out with the bathwater by ditching Guild vs Guild and Hall of Heroes in favour of mundane capture point-based game modes. Easier to understand, but so's tic-tac-toe and it's just as exciting to watch.

Still, for someone who spent thousands of hours in both games, and is disappointed by pretty large chunks of GW2, I find it very difficult to go back to GW1. The gameplay just feels tedious now.

As a Mesmer main, I do miss Backfire and Diversion though. Defeating your opponents by forcing them into making mistakes was very satisfying.
'of sorts'? Factions, Nightfall, GWEN were all absolutely expansions. Hell, they added more than most so-called expansions these days.

I actually started to lose interest once heroes became a thing, because for me it was all about that party dynamic. Being able to solo farm was nice but I liked that GW1 forced me to find kindred spirits and play with them, as most true MMORPGs do.

And I never did finish GWEN, so that was that for me.

And yeah, I figure GW1 is best left to nostalgic fondness.

"
Vipermagi wrote:
GW1...doesn't do grind except for cosmetics.

Contradiction in terms. Does not compute. Abort, Fail, Retry?

Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Feb 3, 2018, 5:58:36 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info