[2.3]”When essence drain and contagion are one skill" chaos vortex. Also trap/miner theory crafting

#Updated Theory crafting CI occultist chaos vortex miner
Spoiler
After chaos conversion nerf, scaling posion damage by increase chaos damage is not very effective when dual wield consuming dark
After thinking about how ridiculous of the fact that we can scale poison damage by elemental damage in poison originated from vortex
I am thinking about ignoring the vortex cold degen,
Use remote mine + minefield + vortex to quickly create multiple stack of poison damage on enemy,
and scale the poison damage to the maximum
My proposed vortex poison miner passive tree

6L will be: remote mine-vortex-minefield-trap and mine damage- elemental focus- controlled destruction
Pretty much like the famous chaos ice trapper in last league, I try to use the fact that spell dmaage and elemental damage can also double dip poison dot from vortex to compensate the nerfed chaos conversion
I drop the Sovereignty so you need to have lv 3 enlighten to reduce mana reserve of dual curse and discipline.

Alternatively, going life based EB/MON/ZO Saboteur chaos vortex trapper could also be possible
The passive tree is modified from my last league ice trap character

Gear could probably be somethign like this
Spoiler

6L will be: trap-vortex-cluster trap-trap and mine damage- elemental focus- controlled destruction
You can check my last league character "Lookitsatrap" for more detail

The above proposed build do not use firestorm for boss, multiple vortex trap/mine can melt boss with the poison stacks.

Ever jealous of how pure spell damage can double dip poison damage originated from essence drain??
With vortex we also do the same and we have insane aoe radius and damage with only 1 skill

My progress of making this character

Spoiler
I original take Ziggdy's life base elementalist degen vortex as league starter. Everything of the build is fine except the single target damage.

Then I switch to Myra Burning Vortex https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1673091
which use vaal righteous fire for single target and gradually spec from hybrid to CI. But the problem is that vaal righteous fire do not work for boss that have 2 phase or lzaro or atizri. Another problem is that I want to run trap in the lab in no brainer mode and I really don't like vaal pact. The defense mechanism of CI elementalist using warlord mark is really meh~

Finally I watch pohx stream and find out that he is rolling a occultist chaos vortex trapper using firestorm trap for single target. This made me miss my ZO/EB/MOM dual curse chaos ice trapper last league with dual wield consuming dark so much as the boss killing ability of it is really insane with decent aoe clear. I spec into pohx's build but I immediately feel like meh as the aoe clear ability of a single vortex trap is not better than self cast vortex. The trap recovery and trap throwing speed is pain in the ass when we are not sabutour.

Therefore I finally switch to selfcast vortex again. We lost the ability to throw vortex to a target location (vortex cast on player location and frostbolt is meh~) and the ability to scale trap damage. But overall self cast give smoother gameplay.

The basic idea of the build is same as other vortex build, use

to convert cold vortex damage to fire (but the degen remain cold damage)
We also dual wield consuming dark

to convert 60% of fire damage to chaos damage and we have poison from the initial hit of consuming dark.

Things got really interesting when we can poison enemy with poison.
When we look at vortex gem description
There is one line written as
"Modifiers to Spell Damage apply to this skill's Damage Over Time"
We understand this mean pure spell will scale the cold degen of vortex apart from elemental/cold/area damage
We have to take note that the the cold degen and initial hit are two separate thing.
The base damage of cold degen have it's own leveling progress which can be scaled by the above modifier but not directly related to the damage of initial hit unlike bleed and poison.
Poison is a different thing here.
The base damage of poison is 10% of the the 60% portion (2 consuming dark + pyre) of initial vortex hit.
The poison is caused by vortex and affected by the
"Modifiers to Spell Damage apply to this skill's Damage Over Time"
This is what make double dip dream come true.
Spell damage can now also scale the poison damage
After the chaos conversion nerf, scaling 60% chaos portion with increase chaos damage is not effective enough.
But now we can scale with pure spell damage to whole 100% initial hit as well as double dip the poison.

Let's summarize the modifier affect vortex skill with poison with my build

Spoiler
Vortex initial hit:
Damage, Spell damage, elemental damage, cold damage, fire damage, area damage, chaos damage

Vortex cold degen:
Damage, Spell damage, elemental damage, cold damage, area damage, damage over time

Poison originated from Vortex:
Double dipping - Damage, Spell damage, area damage, chaos damage
Non double dipping - damage over time

Pros

Spoiler

Try out new vortex skill
Pure spell damage Double dipping dream!!!!!!
half screen of vortex radius
everything just explode
CI
easy uber lab trap run with zealot oath ES regan and fast natural es recharge
izaro fight as a CI character without vaal pact is easy as you have ~ 1500-2000 es regen per second
decent non-unique mops aoe clear even in high end yellow map (T10+, I don't have red map atm)
enfeeble + temporal chain strongest defense mechanism ever
whirling blade (yay!!!)
elemental refect map easy mode as we have extremely high es regan especially when killing mops and 60% damage of inital hit is chaos and dot didn't reflect lol
Not a high budget build
literally all map mod except blood magic (no mana and life regan may be pain, you need mana flask/mana leech gem and vaal discipline to be save)
I believe it is HC viable as the ES regan and dual curse are nuts

Cons

Spoiler

Boss kill require vaal lightning trap + firestorm to be fast (still far better than spamming vortex on boss lol)
Boss didn't explode isntantly like discharge or KB wander =(
Can't do blood magic map
Low tooltip dps, because the double dip dream is not shown on tooltip

Passive tree (93 lv tree)

Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAMBAAPuCaoNHw18DkgOXBEtES8RUBGWFX4V1xcvGGoabBslHNwdFB2-IvQmiCj6KwosnCy_M4c1uTwFPCg9X0GHQnpEq0V-RZ1JsUuuTLNObVJTU1JUR1WuVdZWSFZjV5RXyVgHXGtd8mTnavpsC20ZcLt4L3pwfIN85Xzwf8aApIIQgpuCx4RIhq6MNo8aj0aPppEHknSTJ5eVl_SYrZo7muCboZwynL6drp7En9-hL6XEpr6nCKcrtAy1SLcwuJO7_L6KwGbAmsHFw23G98rT1abXz9gk2VvZ_N-w5CLoWukC6rrrY-vu7BjtPO9874j3wffX-Tf56PrS?accountName=martincyc&characterName=Ignitevortex

I pick a lot of life regan node near templar region and zealot oath, I feel like it is better for doing lab and synergies with occulist vile baston. With this we can use whirling blade throw most of the uber lab's trap like those Juggernaut leap slam
I pick a lot of curse effectiveness node and dual curse node, I really like the enfeeble temporal chain ultimate defensive curse setup. We are pure CI ES character, we don't have much evasion, dodge and armour. Curse are our best defense. Combine with the +1 curse from occultist ascendancy, we can also self cast vulnerability (super large curse area with all the aoe node from passive and beast fur shawl chest) and gain more from meladication ascendancy node
I focus on spell damage as it double dip both vortex inital hit and the poison/cold degen.
I pick elemental overload. It is a huge dmage boost for non crit build.
Two consuming dark together have decent crit chance. You can link blade vortex to CWDT setup or make a orb of storm (w/ coh vulnerability) setup for the trigger.
I also pick the alchemist flask node as CI character can use lot of different utility flask

My gear

Spoiler

Pretty self explanatory
Beast fur shawl chest: high es, 10% radius, 40% spell damage, neglectable increase damage taken.
Most important the increase es recovery rate, it apply on natural es recharge and zealot oath es regen with also work well with the occultist ascendancy node ( ES recharge not disturb and es regen when killing mops)
Dual wield consuming dark + pyre: 60% chaos from vortex initial hit + poison (minimize elemental reflect and add poison to degen scaling)
Ascent from flesh: new prophecy chain belt, 60+ up ES, 10% MS and some dodge when phasing, some all resist and flat evasion. The phase when recharge work well with occultist ascendancy ( although we ususally maintain phasing uptime by quartz flask)
rings and amulet: %es on amulet, flat es on all, cover up the missing dex and strength from them, some resist
boots, helmet and gloves: get high es as you can afford, cap resist with them

The budget of this build is around 2-3 ex (depend on your trading skill lol)
the chest is most expensive, followed by high es gear
I somehow brought the 312 es helmet and 204 es boots with less than 15 C
With the currenct gear + discipline, I reach 10K+ ES without a ES shield

You would like to have stun avoid boot enchant even you cannot be stun at full es(occultist)
If you feel like it is okay, then get life and mana regan/leech one instead (prefer regan)

If I am rich enough I would like to have enfeeble and temporal chain link with lv4 enhance in a vertex vaal mask(+1 level of socket gem) to made all content look like dry lake lol
Alternatively I can put them in heretic veil to drop the mana reserve node from tree
You can use carcass jack couple with vertex and some es/ev hybrid gear if you want other layer of defense but you will then have much lower ES =( )

Gem link

Spoiler

chest 5L: vortex-elemental focus-IAOE-controlled destruction-faster casting, 6L would be concentrated effect for high damage or life leech if you also spec to ghost reaver or even increase duration for longer cold degen and poison duration.
I no longer recommend rapid decay now as it don't double dip and the reduce duration actually hurt poison damage.
single target 4L: firestorm-spell ehco/faster casting(if you want more mobility)-elemental focus-concentrated effect
dual curse aura: blasphemy-enfeeble-temporal chain (ultimate defensive curse aura lol)
CWDT setup: CWDT (lv 7)-immortal call (lv9)-blade vortex (lv 12)
golem: stone golem (added life regen for our Zealot oath)
movement: whirling blade-faster attack-fortify
Utility:Discipline (CI), vaal lightning trap(shock ground for 40% more damage on boss), self cast vulnerability (boost damage over time damage), rallying cry ( for damage increase and occasion short on mana on boss fight)

You can drop CWDT to lower the strength requirement but I feel like it is useful when running through traps.
You can have enduring cry instead of rallying cry for longer immortal call and high physical mitigation and a surge of es regan instead if you have mana related boot enchant or you feel like it
You can drop discipline and do tri curse with vulnerability instead of self case if you are lazy and in SC (I have 8.5K ES without discpline), you can also run arctic Armour instead of you think higher es is useless lol)

Accendancy

Spoiler

profane bloom =>wicked ward
merci and uber lab are
meladication or vile baston, vile baston first if you already spec in CI, meladication if you are not
Alternatively, if you have other source of stun immunity, you could drop vile baston and get void beacon for more damage

bandit

Spoiler

Kill-kill-kill

Flask

Spoiler

quartz flask to maintain phasing for the belt + some decent dodge and run through mops
quicksilver flask to run faster (or you can swap to other defense flask or a atizri promsie for higher damage if you only whirling blade)
Basalt flask for your physical mitigation
The Overflowing Chalice: sulphur flask for damage, Consecrated Ground further regen es when you cast firestorm during facetanking boss, most imporatantly the unique mod (100% increased Charges gained by Flasks during Flask Effect), Combine with the alchemist node made you a mini pathfinder so that you basically maintain 100% uptime of all flask if you run and kill fast enough
Kiara's Determination: onslaught for cast speed , ms and attack speed(benifit whirling blade). Have a short flask duration but is can be improved by alchemist node and The Overflowing Chalice. And it is bascially your panic buttom to press as it remove everything except bleeding

You will want a staunching and heating flask on quartz and basalt flask to maintain bleed and freeze immunity

jewel

Spoiler

Two energy from within to place under socket below MOM and pain attunement
If you modify my tree for more jewel socket
Look for jewel with
area damage
spell damage
spell damage when dual wield
ES
faster start of ES recharge(jewel with this is usually cheaper)

Playstyle

Run
cast rallying cry and vulnerability (only necessary when facing rare mobs)
vortex
run
repeat above step
Profit

You map want to use firestorm on some + hp map mod rare mops
throw lightning trap cast firestorm
press all flask and facetank the unique boss lol
(I prefer facetank as boss will move away from shock ground if you are too far away when casting firestorm)

Not much can say about leveling and leveling tree, use vortex when you get it (just slightly worse than firestorm which mean it is super good lol)
Will write a leveling tree if someone really need it
But tbh just go hybrid when you leveling, follow my 91 lv tree route and you will be fine
Last edited by martincyc on Jul 15, 2016, 10:33:05 PM
Last bumped on Sep 11, 2016, 4:51:29 PM
Hello there!

I made a similar build but with trap so I can vortex where I want and took some trap nodes and I find it easy to sustain the traps and mana at this point while I have a lot of damage and safety with triplecurse.

I also use eye of chayula as I am so scared right now Of stun and soon I must find a way to get freeze immunity but that will be prob solved.

Also I have no problems with damage atm and I can still get more damage nodes easy.

The build so so damn fun as it makes the mobs move so slow with chill and temp chain while the degen is fantastic. The damage is not crazy high but its same as caustic arrow I guess and in solo you can do any map and the damage is enough. In party even If your damage is not great the others will love you with your triple curse.

Anyway. Great build I love it.
"
Hello there!

I made a similar build but with trap so I can vortex where I want and took some trap nodes and I find it easy to sustain the traps and mana at this point while I have a lot of damage and safety with triplecurse.

I also use eye of chayula as I am so scared right now Of stun and soon I must find a way to get freeze immunity but that will be prob solved.

Also I have no problems with damage atm and I can still get more damage nodes easy.

The build so so damn fun as it makes the mobs move so slow with chill and temp chain while the degen is fantastic. The damage is not crazy high but its same as caustic arrow I guess and in solo you can do any map and the damage is enough. In party even If your damage is not great the others will love you with your triple curse.

Anyway. Great build I love it.

I don't know why, but the trap recover speed is really too slow to match my playstyle. I don't haev this problem last league when playing chaos ice trap sabuteur. Trap version do have high damage then self cast version anyway.
How do you activate Elemental Equilibrium ?
"
Kashenbek wrote:
How do you activate Elemental Equilibrium ?

Since 2 consuming dark convert only 60% damage of vortex initial hit to chaos, the remain 40% fire will trigger EE and hence reduce cold resist of the mob to boost the vortex cold degen.

I pick EE solely for the purpose of boosting the cold degen.
Single target firestorm may have a problem here because the remaining 40% fire damage will be hitting at mob with + 25% fire resist. But TBH, we kill boss with the insane poison stack using the 60% chaos damage from firestorm. Chaos initial hit is unaffected by EE.

If you don't like EE, you can just remove it. But I found it is handy to boost the cold degen from vortex as most of time your cold degen can already handle blue or rare pact.
Hey there,

Just starting out in the game and saw Ziggys video on a similar build but I seem to like your take on it a little bit more as you offer more help to beginners. Any chance you could do a really brief leveling guide?

Edit: Reading the skill tree is mainly what I need help with. I do not know which nodes to put points in first or which direction I should go when there are multiple paths.
Last edited by kurtis2821 on Jul 11, 2016, 11:02:38 AM
"
kurtis2821 wrote:
Hey there,

Just starting out in the game and saw Ziggys video on a similar build but I seem to like your take on it a little bit more as you offer more help to beginners. Any chance you could do a really brief leveling guide?

Edit: Reading the skill tree is mainly what I need help with. I do not know which nodes to put points in first or which direction I should go when there are multiple paths.

TBH, if you are really new to this game, you should go life base instead of CI (ES based) because CI require way more expensive gear to min-maxing your total energy shield.

I also first start from Ziggy's elementalist vortex build, I guess his video have roughly show some passive pathing route?

I really have to state, you better off start with elementalist life base instead of CI occultist if you are really really new to this game/ first character of this league

Last edited by martincyc on Jul 12, 2016, 9:13:19 AM
Updated with the double dip dream and chaos vortex miner theorycrafting
I'm sure 40% elemental with all the leech will still murder you in reflect maps, or atziri mirror.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info