Pcoc Bladevortex, Selfcast discharge, Low life

Are you tired of all the CoC discharge? Well i was, so i set out to do something with Discharge, but without the outright overused Cast on Crit. Here is what i came up with.

Build Explanation
The build uses a blade vortex linked with Power charge on Crit to gain power charges at a pretty phenomenal rate, you then use these charges for a (you guessed it) self cast discharge. So in a way it works kinda like CoC discharge, you just have to cast the discharge yourself.

So why would want to do this instead of CoC discharge?
well since don't attack with anything but whirling blades we don't need any dagger crit and can focus 100% on spell crit and spell damage for our damage output, and because the discharges are few in number but more powerful we don't need as many powercharges, this combined with the fact that we get that charges from 1 skill and use them with another with can link discharge with more destructive links than you can on CoC and you can use a powercharge on crit on your blade vortex instead of using a Voll's protector

we utilize some of the same mechanics as fakener/CoC discharge, like we use a level 1 herald of ice to proc elemental equilibrium, make them weak to lighting and fire and then hit them with a powerful discharge just like fakener does with cold damage on the cyclone.
we also utilize other body armors than fakener, with this build i go low life to increase the damage of our discharges even further.

Pros and cons
pros
deals a high amount of damage, can one shot bosses if you are lucky with the lightning dmg
uses dicharge without using CoC
has a lot of leech
can run a lot of map mods, the worst ones are map specific or just ones that are annoying to all energy shield chars... and reflect ofc you can't run ele reflect at all.
if you have a shavronnes already its a fairly budget build

Cons
the high amount of damage can make you weak to reflect rares, a topaz can help with this tho
you have to keep blade vortex up all the time
the mana leech can be kinda lacking when you are facing only 1 mob, i believe this will get better when i get a 5 link and get some more damage and thereby leech, mainly by adding lightning pen or crit dmg.
if you don't have a shavronnes its not really a budget build

Skill tree
The skill tree focuses on 4 things:
Crit
energy shield
power charges
skill radius

This is my tree for level 79, this gives us 204 enegy shield plus 27 from the energy from within jewel giving us 231% energy shield, and i still need sancity and some jewels with energy shield on it, so i hope to get to 250%+ enegy shield.

a more final build would probably look like this:

Links
Discharge is our main link for our body armor:
Discharge, Life leech, Increased area, Conc effect, lightning pen, crit damage
you might be able to use lightning pen before Conc effect as the discharge deal so much damage with just the crit, ass mark and pain attunement.

Blade vortex is the secondary skill link that we have setup in a 4 link
Blade vortex, Power charge on Crit, spell echo, increased duration.
Skyforth might be able to be used for charge generetion and then we can swap out PCoC for something like increased area or Added cold, if you use added cold we can swap out hearald of ice for something like arctic armor or other defensive auras as we need the cold damage on BV to proc Elemental equilibrium.

curse auras, we run ass mark and war mark on blasphemy, atm i'm running tempest shield here as well, it should probably be in a Cwdt setup, but i don't have it optimized since i don't want to link my solaris.

regular auras, we run our auras in the prism guardian

Cwdt setup, a regular cast when damage taken setup, i don't have this up yet but things like immortal call, molten shell, tempest shield. you can even put in a blade vortex if you really don't like having to keep it up manually, unfortunately we can use defensive curses in our Cwdt

Whirling blades setup
just put a basic whirling blades setup if you are using a dagger, otherwise use another movement skill like lightning warp or flame dash, or shield charge i guess, your choice.

Current gear
Spoiler

Gear explanation
Spoiler

Divinarus is nice for the aoe and spell crit, it also allows us to whirling blades, (alternatives are void battery, for budget/leveling a Eclipse Solaris or a rare wand/dagger, if you use a rare item you can get added cold damage on spells which means you can swap out herald of ice for something like arctic armor.

the prism guardian is where we have all of our non curse auras/heralds on our life to get to lowlife, fairly simple. if you want to use a rare shield you might be able to get your auras on bloodmagic gem if you get sovereignty and have skyforth, i don't do this because i don't have skyforth

fairly standard rare helm, look for es and any resists you need.

my boots are fairly normal rares, i know most people want movement speed on the boots, i just really needed some decent boots and didn't have the currency to buy some better rare boots, if possible skyforth could be use for boots slot, this should be able to free a link in the blade vortex links so we can use increased aoe on blade vortex instead of Pcoc, wheter or not this will be good enough for charge generation is not tested yet, but i would think so.

right now im using Solaris lorica which ofc is completely terrible, but it allows me to utilize low life, and its cheap and im really poor, so if you have a shavronnes i would recommend using it or giving it to me, but if you don't you can use Solaris as a really budget option.

Voidbringers are pretty good for the build, yes the mana cost increase is kinda bad as our discharge cost around 190-200 mana on a 4link but with the damage we have the leech to kinda makes up for it.

the lantern is fairly nice overall, in the tree i haven't skilled so that light radius is based on energy shield, so the light radius is even usefull, it also help a lot vs crit

now in the tree we are very close to dual curse so i do plan on swapping this out with the notable but until then the ring is really good as we kinda need both assassins mark and warlocks mark, when we switch out we are probably going to look for a good rare ring, maybe a diamond tho im not sure we need the crit.

we need to not be able to get stunned, getting stunned kills you very quickly, so atm i'm running this, ofc we could switch this out with skyforth for the stun control and if we this amu should be switched out, either with a good rare that gives some crit multi, energy shield, mana and resists or Volls devotion, im not sure volls devotion is worth it as we don't get that many endurance charges and we can't really run both lightning and fire pen, but if you have the currency you could try it out, maybe take the Templar endurance charge then.

the belt just need to give you some energy shield and ressists, you could try to use the doryani's invitation belt for lightning, would be some nice leech, but i don't feel i need the dmg and leech as much as i need the ES, if you have a shavronnes i would try it out.

Damage and Stats

Damage with 7 power charges
Spoiler

Damage with 7 power charges and 3 endurance charges (from warlords mark)
Spoiler
if you scroll down it just says 5% chance to shock, freeze and ignite.

Defensive stats with tempest shield up
Spoiler

at the momment my defenses are kinda terrible, but is still need my shavronnes and better gear overall

If you have any feedback/question feel free to make a comment, this is my first build guide so there might be some mistakes.
Last edited by ydorn on Jan 28, 2016, 3:06:15 PM
Thinking about trying a discharge build when ascendancy comes out, and wanted your input on the elementalist's special tree. I don't know if you have seen it but here is a link to the tree:
http://puu.sh/mVSoa/73a67727d1.png

I was thinking Shaper of desolation and Mastermind of discord were the best options due to limited 6 points. But what do you think. Also curious to if you consider the celestial judgement and celestial punishment nodes worth taking?
"
mugetsu333 wrote:
Thinking about trying a discharge build when ascendancy comes out, and wanted your input on the elementalist's special tree. I don't know if you have seen it but here is a link to the tree:

I was thinking Shaper of desolation and Mastermind of discord were the best options due to limited 6 points. But what do you think. Also curious to if you consider the celestial judgement and celestial punishment nodes worth taking?

i think a lot of what the elementalist has can do wonders for your damage, im just concerned that mastermind of discord will make it too vulnerable to even single rare reflect mobs, (when you proc ele equilibrium, have 20% pen from discord and maybe extra from lightning pen gem and/or the tree you almost hit a mop with 0% effective resist,) now i don't know how much a rare mop reflects, but seeing as i lose usually a minimum of 2-3k energy shield with a topaz flask active and nothing but ele equilibrium for pen atm i would be fairly scared of running much more than a lightning pen gem for ele pen, i could however see beacon of ruin being being fairly good if you used call of the brotherhood (for survivability by freezing everything you don't kill), but you might lose too much of your fire damage from your endurances charges if you use herald of fire to proc ele equilibrium.

if you want to go a crit discharge like mine and you want damage from your ascendancy i would recommend rolling a shadow assassin (with deadly infusion, this could save you on some crit nodes as well) or a Templar inquisitor (with inevitable judgement and augury of penitence) these will give you more damage than i think the elementalist has any possibility of doing.

the celestial judgement is fairly strong for the build, and if you go a bit more endurance charge based than i am and take the templar endurance charge i would say that i would be worth it, celestial punishment however im not so sure about, most mobs you will one shot and if you don't you will usually not need need the 25% damage to finish mobs that don't and your crit chance will be higher than any chance to shock so that is kinda useless, so it only really good against bosses and then i would rather use the points on either lightning walker or crackling speed or even any damage that will help you all the time except for just when they have a status alignment.

hope this helps, sorry for making the post so long.
"
ydorn wrote:
"
mugetsu333 wrote:

i think a lot of what the elementalist has can do wonders for your damage, im just concerned that mastermind of discord will make it too vulnerable to even single rare reflect mobs, (when you proc ele equilibrium, have 20% pen from discord and maybe extra from lightning pen gem and/or the tree you almost hit a mop with 0% effective resist,) now i don't know how much a rare mop reflects, but seeing as i lose usually a minimum of 2-3k energy shield with a topaz flask active and nothing but ele equilibrium for pen atm i would be fairly scared of running much more than a lightning pen gem for ele pen, i could however see beacon of ruin being being fairly good if you used call of the brotherhood (for survivability by freezing everything you don't kill), but you might lose too much of your fire damage from your endurances charges if you use herald of fire to proc ele equilibrium.

if you want to go a crit discharge like mine and you want damage from your ascendancy i would recommend rolling a shadow assassin (with deadly infusion, this could save you on some crit nodes as well) or a Templar inquisitor (with inevitable judgement and augury of penitence) these will give you more damage than i think the elementalist has any possibility of doing.

the celestial judgement is fairly strong for the build, and if you go a bit more endurance charge based than i am and take the templar endurance charge i would say that i would be worth it, celestial punishment however im not so sure about, most mobs you will one shot and if you don't you will usually not need need the 25% damage to finish mobs that don't and your crit chance will be higher than any chance to shock so that is kinda useless, so it only really good against bosses and then i would rather use the points on either lightning walker or crackling speed or even any damage that will help you all the time except for just when they have a status alignment.

hope this helps, sorry for making the post so long.

I'll take another look at the assassin and see if i'd like to give it a shot. I only glanced at it and didn't look to deeply at it. I also liked the idea of free elemental proliferation but figured the -20 to all resists was too strong to pass up, didn't consider how bad the reflect would be. Thanks for the input i was curious to how much you would care for status alignment as a discharge user. Makes more sense to go for the guaranteed boost rather than a chance at one. I'm still in the early stages of an idea of what i want to try not sure if i will go crit but definitely looks like a cool choice.
"
mugetsu333 wrote:

I'll take another look at the assassin and see if i'd like to give it a shot. I only glanced at it and didn't look to deeply at it. I also liked the idea of free elemental proliferation but figured the -20 to all resists was too strong to pass up, didn't consider how bad the reflect would be. Thanks for the input i was curious to how much you would care for status alignment as a discharge user. Makes more sense to go for the guaranteed boost rather than a chance at one. I'm still in the early stages of an idea of what i want to try not sure if i will go crit but definitely looks like a cool choice.

well i don't care that much for status alignments as i am mainly using lightning damage, and even if i did want them im getting it all from my crit, as a fire discharger both status's and prolif as the ignite can help kill of things you didn't get with your first discharge, freeze is just nice for survivability but can be hard to utilize against the mobs where you need it the most tho it should be possible with a crit discharge. But yea chance to status align is kinda useless to me as my chance to crit is at 80%+ and i will never get a higher chance to status align than that.

if you don't want to go crit you can do a version of the build i have, but instead of using power charge on crit with blade vortex you can go romira's banquet with resolute technique to generate power charges, then you don't need assasins mark either, don't know about the damage tho, but then the elementalist ascendancy would probably be pretty good.
i hope the blade vortex charge generation will stay this way, i want to play a discharger in ascendancy ^^
cool build and idea mate
Hi, i made my own self cast discharger without knowing that you already made a similar build guide for it. So i'm just gonna share how i aproached it. I think some of my ideas might improve your build and some of yours could improve mine. Mine build is kind of more expensive tho.

I was bored and already had a low life spell crit char so i throw few regrets and exalts and made this:
Gear

Whole idea was to use all types of charges and generating them through curses and increasing damage/survivability in process (assassin mark -> crit, warlord -> leech, elemental weakness -> -all res)
Im using 4 curses atm (all 3 charge generating and ele weakness as ultimate dmg boost)
and then of course discipline and clarity.

My skill tree is also slightly different:
i went with full crit and aura reservation which allow me to use 4 curses on blasphemy.
I also found intuitive leap very usefull because it spared me like 6 skill nodes.

Here are my results:
6k es, all res capped
tooltip: 78k damage at full charge, about 90ish with atziri promise (this is further multiplied by assassin mark (60% more crit damage) and elemental weakness (50% -res)
81% crit chance without assassin mark (fully power charged)
+-200k per blast while fully charged

Self cast Discharge is damn satisfying, i was able to one shot packs and exiles in t13 maps. Run several t10s with full party and also didn't find any threats. I really enjoyed this little experiment.

Problems:

- bosses and single target in general you can't really use discharge vs boss since you don't generate charges so i went just with glacial cascade with exactly same links (how you deal with high hp bosses?)

- inconsistent crit chance: if you don't crit on high level map, It usually means that you are gonna loose all charges (momentum) and you need to charge it back somewhere on weak monsters

- prejudice that all discharge players = laggers (i've been kicked so many times because of this bullsh*t) even tho only Mjolnir and CoC are those who lag
Last edited by Proximi on Feb 10, 2016, 4:07:41 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info