Full computer crash mid game

I am experiencing a consistent crash problem with this game. I regularly am having my computer fully crash to restart during gameplay. it takes varied amounts of time for it to happen, but it so far seems guaranteed. I think it is a heat issue (cpu temp monitor), I don't think its a power supply or graphics card issue, as I have no problem running things like 5 instances of EVE Online and 3 streams. I was wondering if anyone could provide ideas on what the issue may be.

Other info: there is no crash report or anything, just sudden power off and computer restart. Computer specs are: CPU intel i7 4770k, 16bg 1866 ram GPU: geforce GTX 780 SSD 2x480gb intel SSDs OS: windows 10 pro 64 bit. PSU: (not 100% sure on this one) 750W (i think)
Last bumped on Dec 9, 2016, 2:40:07 AM
"
Leeham wrote:
I am experiencing a consistent crash problem with this game. I regularly am having my computer fully crash to restart during gameplay. it takes varied amounts of time for it to happen, but it so far seems guaranteed. I think it is a heat issue (cpu temp monitor), I don't think its a power supply or graphics card issue, as I have no problem running things like 5 instances of EVE Online and 3 streams. I was wondering if anyone could provide ideas on what the issue may be.

Other info: there is no crash report or anything, just sudden power off and computer restart. Computer specs are: CPU intel i7 4770k, 16bg 1866 ram GPU: geforce GTX 780 SSD 2x480gb intel SSDs OS: windows 10 pro 64 bit. PSU: (not 100% sure on this one) 750W (i think)

Hello! So I have also experienced this problem, and I experience it on my laptop if I'm not careful. I typically play Path of Exile on a desktop computer with a good graphics card I bought and put into it. That computer has only crashed on me once. If I play on my laptop, I usually only get a fourth of the frames per second and it overheats much easier. There are multiple ways to try to prevent this, but 1 quick and easy way is to reduce graphics settings. Here are steps to reduce them:

1. Go to "My Documents" and go to the folder "My Games"

2. Go into the "Path of Exile" folder

3. Open "production_config" (it should be a .txt file)

4. Find "texture_quality"

5. By default, it is usually set between 1-3. You can reduce graphics settings by increasing the number. Try various numbers, but I would not go above a 10 unless your computer really needs it. It will look like Path of Exile was made in a claymation studio
"
uhErik wrote:
"
Leeham wrote:

Hello! So I have also experienced this problem, and I experience it on my laptop if I'm not careful. I typically play Path of Exile on a desktop computer with a good graphics card I bought and put into it. That computer has only crashed on me once. If I play on my laptop, I usually only get a fourth of the frames per second and it overheats much easier. There are multiple ways to try to prevent this, but 1 quick and easy way is to reduce graphics settings. Here are steps to reduce them:

5. By default, it is usually set between 1-3. You can reduce graphics settings by increasing the number. Try various numbers, but I would not go above a 10 unless your computer really needs it. It will look like Path of Exile was made in a claymation studio

Changing your texture quality would only prevent a crash due to running out of ram which dose not power off the PC...unless maybe you were overheating which shouldn't happen if you maintain your PC and don't fuck with setting on older ones.
(texture quality in the ini will only ever be 0 or 1 by default)

@OP if it's heat related, you might want to open up the PC case and clean the heat sink on the CPU and the GFX card and give the case a blow out.
Then make sure that your GFX card isn't running at full tilt, stuff like frame rate limitation make a massive difference to heat generation and you wouldn't be missing anything...some people have a tendency to let a GFX card run rampant just to see the big FPS numbers which generally mean nothing because most of them will be using a 60hz monitor and it can't output anything above 60fps anyway.
Also in the GFX control panel for nvidia make sure that all settings are set to let application decide.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
"
uhErik wrote:
"
Leeham wrote:

Changing your texture quality would only prevent a crash due to running out of ram which dose not power off the PC...unless maybe you were overheating which shouldn't happen if you maintain your PC and don't fuck with setting on older ones.
(texture quality in the ini will only ever be 0 or 1 by default)

@OP if it's heat related, you might want to open up the PC case and clean the heat sink on the CPU and the GFX card and give the case a blow out.
Then make sure that your GFX card isn't running at full tilt, stuff like frame rate limitation make a massive difference to heat generation and you wouldn't be missing anything...some people have a tendency to let a GFX card run rampant just to see the big FPS numbers which generally mean nothing because most of them will be using a 60hz monitor and it can't output anything above 60fps anyway.
Also in the GFX control panel for nvidia make sure that all settings are set to let application decide.

I know its not heat, I monitored with Core Temp software last test and it crashed at 50C, so its not that. And I cannot find a setting in the NVidia control panel that lets the software decide. How would I then go about limiting frame rate of GPU?
Ive also been getting the same, random black screen for a couple of seconds which in the long run end up full black screen lock up resulting in a hard reset.

This is the only game that does it.

Ive noticed that when ever a patch or up date is due it starts to happen, its like they've updated there servers an with are client being different (not up to date) it cause's problems as mine is all ways before a patch or update.

System,

I7 4770OK,
GTX 780Ti
16g DDR3 @1600MHZ
Asus Gryphon with full armor
10 x 140 Akasa Venom fans
All under water,
250 SSD Os an games directory
3TB 64bit Cache drive
Asus tn monitor 1ms.

If people are getting the same problem its nothing to do with heat,my max temp is 47C using real temp.

It 100% game code that is causing this.

Last edited by CyberCrow on Jan 21, 2016, 5:54:29 AM
Leeham: the simplest way to throttle your GPU's framerate is to enable VSync. The game's graphics settings contain that option, or you could go via the graphics driver's configuration, which may offer additional VSync modes such as 30fps (60 is the norm, but lower evenly divisible numbers also work.) An additional benefit (in fact, it used to be the primary reason to use VSync) is that it greatly reduces page tearing when you have a large disparity between your renderer's and your display's frame refresh rates.

There are probably also third-party apps to manually set a frame-rate cap, if you want to really tweak it. I would try the VSync first, though - simple native implementation with a graphical fidelity upside. :)
i would also like to throw my hat in the ring here and say i have been experiencing the same issue with having my PC crash quite often during normal game play. I haven't played in about a year and came back yesterday wanting to explore all that i have missed; During which i have encountered a crash nearly every other hour into game play. which has been pretty frustrating to say the least, since it seems i am unable to enjoy any section of the game without interruption.

Unfortunately i am unable to provide any type of log or reports, that are in relation to this issue- Nothing so far that i have seen, is getting saved or showing Reason for any of this on my end.
bump
same story here.
tho it happened 3 times already, but all of them was during breach (if i am right, i saw a cannot die huge golem casting vortex, not sure if it matters)

w10, i5 3570, rx480, 8gb ram, 500w psu, using lowest possible settings + vsync.
my pc can run bf1 at ultra settings, so its NOT an overheat/psu problem.

edit : reinstalled poe / got new vga driver & using 32bit version atm.
still crashing, but no more restart, instead some d3d error.
Last edited by Talkii on Dec 9, 2016, 2:21:38 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info