[2.1] [THC] Miragent's DoT Build (Budget, Fun, HC viable) Iron Will - ED - Contagion

Hello ladies and gents!
I'm Miragent, and this is my first build guide. Hope you enjoy it!

This is a tanky, party-friendly, pack-melting, boss-offscreening, cheap and hc viable build optimized for the Scion class. If you do not like the Sion, similar results can be achieved with Templar and Shadow.

Pros:
-It adapts to your playstyle. ("Noob-friendly")
-Can run almost any map mod, even the annoying ones (like reflect, blood magic, slow regen, curse immune, ele equilibrium)
-Does not require crazy amounts of wealth to work.
-Has a massive HP pool. (Is easy to avoid getting stunned/shocked/frozen)
-Laughs at chaos damage. You literally regen hp while sitting into caustic clouds.

Cons:
-It can be tricky to level. (As with most Sion builds)
-The Sion is not as cool as the Witch.
-"Allies cannot die" rare monsters are a pain to kill

Build Intro:
Spoiler
This is a BUDGET Iron Will Build. By ramping up in Strength, it can achieve an obscene amount of HP and a great damage output, enough to challenge every content in the game. The skill tree focuses on chaos damage, damage over time, spell damage and ofc STR. Many Chaos damage nodes like Method To The Madness and Athrophy offer chaos resistance as well. You will find yourself sitting on +40% chaos resist entirely from your passive nodes. This is extremely good, because positive chaos resistance is really hard to achieve when you are on a budget.

The build takes full advantage of this unique sceptre:

With 800 strength, this item gives you 100% increased global damage. Too good to pass

The rest of your gear should be focused on Strenght, Hp and resistances.

One thing to note is that i don't use the astramentis unique item. That's because the talisman challenge league introduced a new type of amulet (three rat) that gives you 15% increased attributes. If you have 800 base STR, this amulet will add 120 STR to you, making it way stronger than Astramentis.
Here's an example of a great three rat talisman for this build:

My Gear:
Spoiler

Scion skill tree:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAAAx4D7gSzBx4LYQ5ID6sRLxGWE20UCRQgFm8WvxhWGjgabB2-H0EkiySqJogmlScvKU8rCi2oMZ4zhzWSNuk62DrhPC0_J0GHSRNJUUrITeNQR1VLWW1cQF3yXz9fmF-wYeJmVGebaHRo8m6qb551nnaCfLuCx4MJg1-DzITFhXuHy4ngjM-P-pBVkx-UoJUum7WiAKZXp5uuPq9ssZC00bVItfK3MLc-t9a-gMBmwzrFisauyAzKSs8VzzLVpthN2L3aYttZ42rkIuRR5ljrY-w47w7wH_DV8kX2SPno_gr-jw==

Shadow skill tree (not recommended):
Spoiler
*COMING SOON*

Templar skill tree (not recommended):
Spoiler
*COMING SOON*

Bandits:
Spoiler
Oak/Kill/Kill or Oak/Alira/Kill

Gems and Links:
Spoiler

Main skill:
4L: Essence Drain - Void Manipulation - Controlled Destruction - Iron Will
/ 5L: Essence Drain - Void Manipulation - Controlled Destruction - Iron Will - Empower
/ 6L: Essence Drain - Void Manipulation - Controlled Destruction - Iron Will - Empower - Rapid Decay

Secondary skill:
3L: Contagion - Increase Area Of Effect - Faster Casting (+ iron will from Doon)

Support and movement:
4L: Cast when damage taken - increase duration - immortal call - summon flame golem
4L: Wither - Spell Totem - Increase Duration/Faster casting - Rallying Cry/Abyssal Cry
3L: Blasphemy - Vulnerability - Artic Armour
4L: Leap Slam - Faster Attacks - Fortify - Culling Strike

Tips & tricks to level up harder/better/faster/stronger:
Spoiler

For the first 50 levels you can use this combo

And you can level you essence drain and contagion in your spare sockets.
When you reach level 53 you should use

place you essence drain in there, linked with void manipulation, controlled destruction and iron will
At level 64 you will be able to use the Doon Cuebiyari in conjuction with a not-popular unique chest

Death's Oath will greatly help you in your low level mapping, while providing a decent amount of armor, damage, resistances and STR for your Iron Will gem and Doon passive. Your cast when damage taken setup should go here.

Complete your build by getting a 5 or 6-linked chest with an high STR roll, life and resistances, replace your Geofri's with an armor-armor/es helm with high STR, life and resistances. Then you can swap your essence drain from the helm to your chestpiece and place your cast when damage taken setup in your new helm.

Gameplay:
Spoiler
*coming soon-ish*

If you have any question or want to leave feedback on the build, feel free to add your reply and i will answer you as soon as possible!
Special thanks to feralvitac for helping me with the theorycraft and to you for reading the guide!

EDIT 17/01/16: Corrected a few typos
EDIT 13/01/16: I incorrectly assumed that Death's Oath damage would scale with my skill nodes. It doesn't work like that unfortunately. When you are facing high level content the added DoT will be negligible, so you should replace it with an high STR Armor/Es or Armor/Eva chestpiece.
Last edited by adelsten on Jan 17, 2016, 12:49:50 PM
Last bumped on Mar 5, 2016, 11:42:44 AM
"
adelsten wrote:

Is worth noting that the increase damage from the Doon Cuebiyari is global, and applies to your Death's Oath degen as well.

The 450 chaos damage dealt per second come from the item, not you. Therefore this damage is unaffected by your passives/mods. It can only be scaled by making monsters more vulnerable to chaos dot (by cursing them with vulnerability for example).

Because of that i wonder why you did choose this armour. The leech/as doesn't apply to spells, the chaos dot is negligible for endgame, but you loose out on life you could get from a rare armour chest (which also can have high armour and a +strength mod).
"
Bada_Bing wrote:
"
adelsten wrote:

Is worth noting that the increase damage from the Doon Cuebiyari is global, and applies to your Death's Oath degen as well.

The 450 chaos damage dealt per second come from the item, not you. Therefore this damage is unaffected by your passives/mods. It can only be scaled by making monsters more vulnerable to chaos dot (by cursing them with vulnerability for example).

Because of that i wonder why you did choose this armour. The leech/as doesn't apply to spells, the chaos dot is negligible for endgame, but you loose out on life you could get from a rare armour chest (which also can have high armour and a +strength mod).

I absolutely did not know that. Well, the moster are taking more damage from it because of the vulnerability curse and the wither debuff, so it is a viable cheap chest that gives you a little bit of armor, STR and damage, but you are right in the very end game it is better to replace it. I'll edit the build asap. Ty for the info!
Bumpity *edited the levelling section
Bump: updated build intro and gear
Hi i love this build just got to level 62 just wondering how am i ment to deal with the 450dmg from the chest i get absolutely destroyed at the moment not really sure what im doing wrong if anything. Cheers
"
Darkcrusnik wrote:
Hi i love this build just got to level 62 just wondering how am i ment to deal with the 450dmg from the chest i get absolutely destroyed at the moment not really sure what im doing wrong if anything. Cheers

Hello There! How much chaos resist do you have? Do you have HP on your gear? With enough chaos resist and regen you should be able to easily ignore the damage from death's oath.
Is there a recommendation on which branches of the passive tree to pursue first while leveling?
Hi there

Nice build. Being lvl 84 it works well. Doing tier 7/8 maps without issues. Can't go higher because couldn't get hold of them.

Current equip for me:

Spoiler

And jewels:

Spoiler

Need to replace Perandus' Blazon with something else. Most gems are lvl 19 and essensce tool tip says 19k dps and have like 5400 life.

"
smithk9 wrote:
Is there a recommendation on which branches of the passive tree to pursue first while leveling?

I first went to the Constitution notable, then I did the right tree, after that the left tree. Now filling that life circle with Constitution and then I go for Exceptional Performance.
"
hyper_ch wrote:

"
smithk9 wrote:

I first went to the Constitution notable, then I did the right tree, after that the left tree. Now filling that life circle with Constitution and then I go for Exceptional Performance.

That is a really good way to level up if you are going to use essence drain and contagion from the beginning. But if you are using another set of skills until level 50ish (*cough cough* Flame Totem Firestorm *cough* *cough* ) then i would recommend going to the left side first
Last edited by adelsten on Feb 3, 2016, 6:38:21 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info