[2.1] Lee_P's Slide'n'Slash Crit Reave 199k AOE [SC]

TL;DR I got bored and wanted to try a crit reave build since 1999

Pro's

-Fun
-Generic crit dagger tree allows for a different main skill to be used
-Not super expensive (20ish ex? Changed after pricing out all my gear)
-Really fast clear speed
-Can do a lot of map mods
-Not overly GPU intensive (party safe)
-Doesn't rely on curses
-Mostly reflect safe (double reflect can be a pain tho, just have to go slower)
-Atziri viable

Con's

-NOT hardcore viable
-Slow going with "no mana regen" maps (which can take away whirling blades)
-Double reflect is kinda scary unless you spec into VP (1 point away on tree)-Hard time with Vuln map mod because of Blood Rage
-Not really a leveling build, doesn't really "click" until about lvl 75
-Carpal tunnel (seriously be careful, I tend to ice my wrist and take breaks often but it's easy to go 4 hours+ with a build like this)
-NOT capable of running Uber Atziri deathless

------------------------------------------------
Offensive

-FULLY MAXED = 199k.
(Flasks + Charges + Vaal Haste + Fortify)
-Tooltip in hideout is only 69k.

Deffensive

-This is only with flasks, not with fortify or charges or any other defensive buffs.
-We don't actually use very many defensive buffs other than Fortify and a CWDT setup.

------------------------------------------------
Build
Gear & Explanation

Weapon

Phys/Crit/Attack Speed are the main goal here. I went with Bino's because at the time of the build Bino's were only 1ex, they have gone up a lot since with poison builds gaining in popularity

Chest

The most expensive piece of the build is the Lightning Coil, I went with a Legacy 6L, neither Legacy nor 6L are required.
Links: Reave+Melee Phys+Multi Strike+Faster Attacks+Inc Aoe(5th)+Inc Crit Dmg(6th)
5L setup shows 70.9k tooltip in hideout

Hat

Abyssus' flat phys and crit multi are huge for this build. Our attack speed is really able to capitalize on the flat phys and we are a melee crit build which definitely utilizes the melee crit multi. Because of Abyssus we need to increase our phys defenses, thus the Lightning Coil and also a few of our flasks.

Shield and Optional Off-hand
Went with Lioneyes because it has big armour, life, and block for the price. Can be substituted with a better shield.

Death's Hand as an off-hand for reave isn't a new thing but it works remarkably well for a dps option. It gives us the Unholy Might buff @ %100 uptime since we are constantly criting. It also helps to generate Power Charges.

Glubs
This one was kinda difficult for me. I really like the global crit multi on Facebreakers but went for Mali's because of the combination of Crit Chance+Crit Multi+Attack Speed

Bling Bling
Life>Res>Flat Phys>WED/Phys%>IAS>Everything else

Boots
Any uncapped Res or armour issues can be dealt with here, as you can see my boots were only BiS for me because they filled the gap in defenses. Because of Whirling Blades you don't actually need MS on the boots, MS is just an in town QoL

Drank

Rumi's is a staple flask in many a melee or even ranged build. All around great flask does wonders for our defenses and help negate the extra phys we take from Abyssus. Non-legacy variant works fine too. 10/10 Highly Recommended.

Non-legacy Surgeon's Eternal Life flask of Iron Skin should be fine to replace this.

Taste of Hate is an amazing flask for Phys builds. Not only do we get a damage boost from the conversion but we get help to negate some phys damage as well while overcapping our cold res and giving us a chance to avoid freeze/chill. 10/10 Highly Recommended.

Atziri's flask. While being cheap it offers us quite a bit of extra chaos damage (22-25% Phys->Chaos and 13-15% Ele->Chaos) which is really helpful in taking down reflect mobs and offers some leech as well as chaos res.

Topaz flask is recommended here as it can help further negate some of the phys damage we take. I used this opportunity to get Staunching into my flask line up which is very important for our build as corrupting blood stacks up quickly and will rip you in seconds with blood rage on.

Jewels

Jewels are pretty open but general rule here is Life>Multi>IAS>Damage>Phys%>Area>Everything else

Skill Interactions

The Main Skill: Reave; benefits from Melee Phys%, AOE, Flat Phys, Phys%, Crit, Crit multi, Area Damage, WED, IAS. We use Multi-Strike and Faster Attacks to reach max stacks as quickly as possible. Vaal Reave is optional for MASSIVE AOE, I don't use it often because I use Whirling Blades to activate Fortify and Poison and Pcoc making Whirly blades a staple in my gameplay and making Vaal Reave less effective imo.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Movement Skill: Whirly-Bladeys; is used to move around quickly, to poison mobs, to fortify us and to generate power charges. It is not the only skill we use to generate power charges but it is the only skill we use actively to do so. Fortify grants defensive AND offensive bonuses. Poison was chosen due to our weapon choice (Bino's) giving bonuses when poisoned enemies are killed, can be replaced with ICS.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The CWDT(lvl8): Ice Golem-lvl10 (for crit) + Molten Shell-lvl14 (Defensive) + Tempest Shield-lvl12 (Defensive)

The Auras: (LVL 3 Enlighten is required to run all 3)
-Herald of Ash; Scales well off phys and the overkill is a nice degen that stacks with poison degen.
-Hatred; Scales well off phys, provides the cold damage needed to proc shatter which procs Herald of Ice.
-Herald of Ice; Procs from the cold damage, shatters used to apply curse (Assassin's Mark). Please note; I tried to use Inc AOE with HoI but the mana reserve was too high.

The Curse:
-Assassin's Mark; Causes enemies to take MORE extra damage from crits, increases our power charge generation, causes enemies to be more susceptible to crits.

Utility/Duration:
-Vaal Haste; Big boost to move speed and attack speed. Link to Increased Duration if possible.
-Blood Rage; Used to generate Frenzy charges. Link to Increased Duration.
-Vaal Molten Shell; Just a fun defensive skill, not required. Also link to Increased Duration if possible.

Gameplay

Since I can't record on my computer I'll just explain it here:

(((Pre-flasking is optional but advised)))
1.) Blood Rage to start map, should last the entire map
2.) Whirly Bird(Slide) into a pack or boss. This applies Fortify/Poison/Pcoc

3.) Reave(Slash) the mobs until everything 'splodes applying Curse/Poison/Ignite(overburn) to surrounding enemies.
(((Pre-flasking is optional but advised)))

4.) Make Margarita's

Notes

Plans

Offensive
-Purchase Loath Bane (Pretty far off at the moment. This kind of mirrored dagger would open our options both offensively and defensively. I'm hoping to be able to equip a shield with Loath Bane as I'm currently rockin the Death's Hand as a stat stick.)
-Purchase Acuities (Instant leech from gloves would allow us to obtain some regen on tree which will help during the "kite away from angry boss" phases)
Defensive
-I'd like to be able to use a shield and possibly a defensive curse with blasphemy. At the moment we run HoA/Hatred for dps and HoT to apply the Poachers Mark curse.

Log

-01/06/2016
Someone from reddit graciously helped me respec into a tutu wearing safe tree cause I ripped to reflect while in party. Turns out build was nice for solo but kinda poop for parties as mobs have more life/dmg/etc and while 233k dps was nice, reflect while in parties was basically instagib so we took VP again and swapped out Disembowling for more attack speed an extra jewel slot and more life.
-01/06/2016
Added Jewels, tree update
-1/19/2016
Added Death's Hand and swapped out jewels for DW jewels. Will post new tree soon.
Hit level 90 yesterday and decided that I want to see how far I can take this semi-squishy build.
-1/25/2016
Testing Blasphemy+Temp chains. So far adds a nice defensive element to gameplay
-1/30/2016
Hit lvl 92, going to update build as soon as I put the finishing touches on it
Last edited by ImaMonstr on Jan 30, 2016, 7:57:18 AM
2.8k life? oh no :(
Ugh effort
Last edited by aStrayGami on Jan 6, 2016, 1:23:36 AM
I should put not HxC viable in there somewhere
"
ImaMonstr wrote:
I should put not HxC viable in there somewhere

I wouldn't call that even SC viable lmao
Use this. Please. You don't have to live this life. You dont want to die. :(
Ugh effort
Meh I've already run Atziri n stuff, I don't see any need to change my whole build because someone says it's not SC viable.
EDIT:
1.) Your tree is 114 points, I've already gotten my 108 point tree done. Your tree would require another 6 levels minimum
2.) Eva is kinda poop atm
3.) Why hold a shield when you take nodes that give you less block?
4.) It's SC. If you can't die on SC where can you die? Reflect is a thing.
Last edited by ImaMonstr on Jan 6, 2016, 10:44:43 AM
Added an alternate tree for those who would prefer more life.
Last edited by ImaMonstr on Jan 6, 2016, 10:51:58 AM
"
ImaMonstr wrote:
Meh I've already run Atziri n stuff, I don't see any need to change my whole build because someone says it's not SC viable.
EDIT:
1.) Your tree is 114 points, I've already gotten my 108 point tree done. Your tree would require another 6 levels minimum
2.) Eva is kinda poop atm
3.) Why hold a shield when you take nodes that give you less block?
4.) It's SC. If you can't die on SC where can you die? Reflect is a thing.

1.) It can be brought down to 108
2.) Thats true, but it's still better than armour until you invest alot into it
4.) Life, resistances, evasion. Block doesn't matter when it's not something you invest in.
4.) It's SC. Nobody want's to lose 10% worth of exp in progress. Playing on SC doesn't make a 60% life build viable, especially when making a build guide for it. Reflect isn't a big issue.

I'm just giving advice.
Ugh effort
Last edited by aStrayGami on Jan 6, 2016, 1:00:56 PM
Since when do people not invest into block? Unless you mean on your tree which you do take a 3% block node (Precise Inception) in the tree you linked
tree
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAAOyi-vAOW9MZuPUUKYEO-gDXWgwkxnm-eplfKSvGznKQ64U3jX7BLV4cT8kX-j5u1wON3B_4KNZLDOoTF2L0qOCSLIuoPq-jWFr8FtXX9JpXC7I2_hG9h4rTFUUfUI9RCVUtirNvnN9TnVDB8MHGmf7VIjDZsjGwIRwbtPyT9jX3dqO1BidOdqvGK8uHYdv_eI_ZLeHBSY0O5Plb1TZKjijpCKgusZttusbNd8izhl9B4rg5IfeOOij3iEZZI7pAbBx7TfnBWlS4AXn11mhPw1RmO_rrb1ElR7YMILi1VFqo90QV9

Also eva is similar to armour and needs copious amounts to be good, only difference being with the phys changes and the monster damage increases it actually makes sense to go armour instead of eva with reave because reave (in this build at least) still technically qualifies as melee due to us having to whirly bird into the middle of a pack. If there wasn't a need for phys negation with phys/crit builds Lightning Coil wouldn't be as popular as it is right now.
"
ImaMonstr wrote:
Since when do people not invest into block? Unless you mean on your tree which you do take a 3% block node (Precise Inception) in the tree you linked

I never said people don't invest in block. I said it doesn't matter when it isn't something you invest into. All those block/shield nodes, stone of lazwhar and what not and especially when it's easier to go phase acro with atziri steps and have a decent amount of dodge (4 passive points) to survive which gets boosted further by vaal grace.

"
ImaMonstr wrote:
Also eva is similar to armour and needs copious amounts to be good, only difference being with the phys changes and the monster damage increases it actually makes sense to go armour instead of eva with reave because reave (in this build at least) still technically qualifies as melee due to us having to whirly bird into the middle of a pack. If there wasn't a need for phys negation with phys/crit builds Lightning Coil wouldn't be as popular as it is right now.

I honestly don't remember the armour/evasion changes that came with 2.0, but from personal experience, something like 40% chance to evade which is easy to achieve from gear alone, exluding flasks was good enough defensively, while armour didn't really do enough for me and others i have seen talk about it until they invested heavilly and had, i'd say about 20k armor.
The reason lightning coil is so popular is because it's easier to mitigate physical damage with it, cutting it with a flat percentage instead of having diminishing returns. Taste of hate being the same.

Also, there is absolutely no reason for you to be in melee range with a skill like reave with the right gem setup. Especially using whirling blades to get charges in a 2.8k life (i see it is now 3.4k) build using an abyssus. That's just asking to die.
Ugh effort
The build uses whirly blades to apply poison, help generate power charges and apply the fortify buff. My playstyle basically involves whirling into the center of a pack and reaving, no need for massive aoe cause then I would need a different way of gaining power charges and fortify. That's why I don't really use Vaal reave cause I don't need large aoe cause it would actually negatively impact the way I play. It might be BiS for other builds and isn't a bad thing by any means, just doesn't match my playstyle.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info