[2.1]General Martinus' Tri-Curse Freezing Ball Lightning Witch MoM-EB-ZO

Need a build that's quick clearing, powerful, and had a bit of defense?

What this build has:

- Ball Lightning with AoE passive support
- 50% of lightning damage converted to cold, which can chill and freeze
- Great freeze and shock chance
- Tri curses ensures your party loves you.
- Immortal Call/Cast on Damage Taken/Increased duration support
- Great crit chance to help freeze and shock
- Pledge of Hands providing a potential 7 link as well as extra block chance
- Mind Over Matter
- Zealot's Oath combined with Eldritch Battery for massive, fast-recharging mana pool
- DPS mode (Wrath, Herald of Ice, Herald of Thunder) or safemode (Wrath, herald of thunder, and AA)
- Well over 5K combined Health Pool
- Automated cursing
- Flame totem support!

OMGWTF is MoM/EB/ZO and how does it work?

Energy Shield normally functions like life.
Eldritch Battery moves ES over to mana, meaning you'll spend ES before mana when casting spells.
Mind Over Matter when Hit, 30% of Damage is taken from Mana before Life
Zealot's Oath converts life regen to mana regen (in our case, ES).

Current DPS
Spoiler

This SS was taken in 2.0. Since then, I've added quality to a few gems and am waiting to post my new DPS once they are leveled. As of right now:

17,648 My aim is to break the 20K mark

Ball Lightning: "Full DPS Mode" (Herald of Thunder and Ice, Wrath Aura, Ice Golem, 3 of each charges, Atziri Flask.)

This is one of the highest tooltip DPS displays I've seen for BL over 17K, also take into effect we run 3 curses on top of that, and a 11K DPS flame totem!

Current Defenses
Spoiler

"Full DPS Mode" (Herald of Thunder and Ice, Wrath Aura, Ice Golem, 3 of each charges, Atziri Flask.)

It only gets better from here. Will post stats while running AA soon. Right now, we have 20% Reduction, 12% Evade chance, 12% block chance, and 4% dodge, also take into account Mind Over Matter which converts a portion of our damage to our ES pool. Also, a matter to consider, our Endurance Charges with Immortal Call/Increased Duration.

Passive Tree

How to gear
Spoiler

A LOT of required uniques here. Which puts a lot of pressure on what little rares you will have to be high on resistances. We want life, resists, ES, Spell Damage, Crit, Multi, mana and mana% are useless.

Weapon:

Gotta go with a Pledge of Hands, this staff gives you the most bang for your buck. I'm not sure if even mirrored crit lightning daggers can equate to the same dps as PoH. 6L is best of course, a 5L will work fine.

Armor:

High ES version Atziri's Splendour is the way to go here. Since we use no shield, this armor will be the main contributor to our ES pool. It also has plenty of resists to help us get capped. The +100 life on kill is a massive boost to our sustain, however the +100 mana is useless due to our build's mechanics.

Gloves:

Things get tricky with gloves. We need gloves with ele weakness on hit. This can be a bit expensive. Some choices are Maligaro's (a pair of these with ele weakness on hit cost a small fortune at around 30exa on standard), rare gloves, which can lend you more life and resists, or the often overlooked gloves for crit builds: Facebreakers. A LOT of people with crit builds overlook these beauties, they actually give more dps than the maligaros, and are a heck of a lot cheaper to secure with the curse on hit.

Boots:

In order to maintain ES regen, movement speed, and the all important frenzy charges, The Blood Dance is the obvious choice here. +1 Frenzy for all the ballers out there.

Rings:

Call of the Brotherhood makes the freezing part of this build work. It also gives a nice boost to our lightning damage and gives us the ability to shock frozen enemies.

Doedre's Damning gives us an extra curse. It is what it is, I wish it's stats were more potent. You can skip this if Donald Trump is your friend, and you have an amazing ammu with +1 curses with all the ele resists you would need, life, and crit. Or you can go quad curse, to which I would suggest either frostbite or conductivity.

Belt:

Rare, you need to cap resists, get as much life and ES as possible.

Ammulet:

Go rare. You'll need resistances, life, crit, spell damage, lightning damage, crit chance, whatever dps mods you can work to get.

Helm:

Grab yourself a good ES helm. The more ES the better. Resists and life should be your main focus.

Links
Spoiler

Links are tricky because of the corrupted gloves. If you are lucky enough (or rich) to color your gloves to something needed below, you could run the ideal setup I've listed below. Currently, I do not have faster casting on my flame dash, and cannot use Vaal Clarity, which honestly isn't a big deal, they are more quality of life additions.

- Weapon
Ball Lightning > Faster Casting > Hypothermia > Slower Proj > Added Lightning > Lightning Pen

- Chest
Herald of Thunder > Herald of Ice > Curse on hit > Warlord's Mark > Assassin's Mark + Flame Dash

*** The following could be done on any piece, as all of them have 4 sockets ***

- Defenses
CoDT > Immortal Call > Molten Shell > Increased Duration

- Flame Totem
Flame Totem > Faster Casting > Fire Pen > Faster Projectiles

- Misc.
Summon Ice Golem > Vaal Disc. > Flame Dash > Faster Casting (Then you could put something like Vaal Clarity in your single socket on your armor)

Hardcore Viability?
Spoiler

Thoughts about improvements are other routes

"When we stop trying to improve ourselves, we give victory to our opponents."

One of the great things about this build is how damned versatile it is. I would love to see how I can boost my defenses. I'd love to try out Taste of Hate for the Physical Damage conversion paired with a Rumis.

My gems need to be leveled. Which means even more DPS.

My gear needs to be colored. The bad thing about corrupted gloves is you get whatever colors you can. I am currently working on making a CoDT>Immortal Call>Molten Shell>Increased Duration pairing.

As you can see, my helm could be better in the ES department, this would only increase our resource pool.

Final Thoughts

I'd love to hear feedback! How can I make this guide/build better? What can I do to improve the quality?

Thanks to:
Hegemony - for inspiration off of his EK MoM/ZO/EB build which was converted into ball lightning
Watch his video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tOldme9iYE

Supergaco - for inspiration of using a tri-curse build. You can check his Tri Curse FP Witch here: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1397959

My husband, GeneralMartinus - For theorycrafting and helping me build this guide. Also thanks for spending so much for it! He paid!
Last edited by Lucidian on Dec 20, 2015, 5:27:01 PM
[Reserved]
Nice write up and interesting build. I was curious about how well brotherhood can really freeze, compared to a full-blown freezer. Free bump, I will keep an eye on this and see how it develops :).
IGN SuperGaco
Hey, hey! Good to hear from you! So far the wife is breezing through stuff quite easily. She liked BL over nova. I had a lot of gear leftover from when I did the FP build of your's.
I'll try to add a quick gorge run in there.
Need to get a footage recorder. Have been able to hit the low end of 3 minutes with the build.
We've been away for the holidays, will try to do the gorge run and video build explanation soon.
Tri Curse Freezing Ball Lightning Witch - view-thread/1483161
-------------------------------------------------------
General Martinus' Spoils of War - view-thread/419523
Proud Alpha Tester, helping shape the world of Wraeclast
Looks like a 20% buff come 2.1. I'm holding out on doing a video until the patch hits to ensure the build is still viable.

I foresee no problems.
Christmas season is kicking my butt in. Haven't forgotten about the video/updates yet.
Yeah, once the holidays are done with, we'll get a video up!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info