[2.0] Bruder Doryani's Fist -Best of Both Worlds- Cyclone/Ice Crash + COMK + Discharge – Inc. Videos

Overview
This build was purposely made to utilise both the added lightning damage to attacks and spells of Doryani's Fist. Whilst it has taken me some time, swapping back and forth with different skill gems, gear and skill points, I believe I have found a sound balance by scaling lightning and area damage to create a destructive and fun build with great defensive capabilities.

This build allows you to play with a few different skill setups, however, the main and fastest clear speed revolves around Cast On Melee Kill (CoMK) + Discharge utilising the Romira's Banquet unique to gain power charges. Either Cyclone (mobile) or Ice Crash (stationary) can be used to trigger the discharge with plenty of single target damage to get going. For the very few rare occasions you encounter bosses without adds one can decide to replace COMK and related gems by other gems to improve your single target damage.

I developed this build on softcore and while it has great survivability I have no hardcore experience at all, so unless someone comments on it or tries it I wouldn't know if it is hardcore viable.

I'm always looking to improve this build, so any feedback, comments or idea's are highly appreciated. Also, if you have any questions regarding this build feel free to ask them.

The Story
Spoiler
As soon as 2.0 got released I saved up currency in Warbands to get my hands one of the new uniques asap. I managed to get my hands on a Doryani's Fist for 1 ex, and started thinking about the best way to utilise this beauty.

Initially I decided on making a pure lightning, melee, Resolute Technique (RT) char completely ignoring the spell damage mod of the gloves. I soon found out though that there was a limit to the practical damage that could be achieved, especially compared to phys. melee it wasn't that high (12k tooltip, without curses/lightning pen.). While it works, it did not add any benefits compared to any other cycloner, which are in my opinion quiet slow chars. in terms of clear speed.

My eye's landed on the Ice Crash skill gem which has a very high base damage (184.2% @ lvl20), this also meant hypothermia could be used to further scale the damage. Nevertheless, I wasn't impressed by the outcome... It did make the char deal more damage and be relatively more safe to play, my 2h-mace ice crasher would still be better at all aspects.

In the end, I had to give in and think of ways to utilise the added lightning damage to spells. I was already using wrath and Herald of Thunder (HoT) which boosted my lightning spell damage already. The majority of the aoe spells had their damage effectiveness decreased, so I was a bit pessimistic going down this path and nearly gave up before trying. Nevertheless, I gave Cast When Damage Taken (CWDT) lvl1 with lvl 1 spells a go, but even when removing my shield (to reduce my block chance...) it was depressing and didn't add anything to my existing build.

Finally, after looting a The Feast divination card (corrupted Romira's Banquet) I remembered a few old post on COMK + Discharge builds. Discharge based around power charges fits in perfectly with the already allocated lightning damage and area damage scaling in my existing build and has an beautiful 150% damage effectiveness, giving you a bit of use for the flat added lightning damage to spells :p. Having access to some power charges with the already spread out skill tree made it heaps of fun to play and to my surprise my clear speed was insane.

From this point on I was sold to this build and have loved it ever since. I usually only play softcore leagues, however I even went through the hassle of reorganising the many stash tabs on standard in order to keep playing this char!

Pro's
- Fast clear speed with heaps of explosions.
- High survivability.
- Can swap shields to adapt to the occasion.
- Can be build with minimum gear (fist + romira's + 5l or Tabula Rasa does the job).

Con's
- Reflect isn't your friend, see below.
- Requires lvl 63 to wear the gloves.
- Might cause some issues on your pc/laptop.
- No insane single target damage.

Current Statistics
Spoiler
Please keep in mind that 'hidden' damage multipliers or defensive stats are not reflected in the in-game statistics. I have not attempted carrying out any calculations to better reflect the damage/defence, however I have listed some of the effects that are not reflected in the in-game statistics:
- Lightning penetration; 37% (support gem, lvl20) + 2% (Skill tree) + 44% (Conductivity) = 83%.
- Hypothermia (when running single target setup): 39% more damage against chilled enemies (lvl 20).
- Arctic Armour: 13%/12% less physical/fire damage taken when stationary.
Furthermore, there is still one extra power charge to pick up on the skill tree which can increase the discharge damage. However, I have not picked it because it hasn't been necessary so far due to one-shot kills).

Statistics shown below are screenshots from a Merciless zone with Flame Golem, Wrath, Herald of Thunder, Arctic Armour and any others as specified below:
Defence
Spoiler
Lioneye's Eye + Tempest Shield
Spoiler

Lioneye's Eye + Tempest Shield + Rumi's Concoction
Spoiler

Saffell's Frame + Tempest Shield
Spoiler

Saffell's Frame + Tempest Shield + Rumi's Concoction
Spoiler

Offense
AOE
Spoiler
Cyclone + Blood Rage when linked to: COMK + Discharge + LP + BM + LL
Spoiler

Cyclone + Blood Rage + 3 Frenzy Charges + Aztiri's promise when linked to: COMK + Discharge + LP + BM + LL
Spoiler

Discharge + BR + 5 Power Charges
Spoiler

Discharge + BR + 5 Power Charges + 3 Frenzy Charges + 3 Endurance Charges + Aztiri's Promise
Spoiler

Singe target
Spoiler
Ice Crash + Blood Rage when linked to: LP + Hypothermia + Concentrated Effect + BM + LL
Spoiler

Ice Crash + Blood Rage + 3 Frenzy Charges when linked to: LP + Hypothermia + Concentrated Effect + BM + LL
Spoiler

Other
Spoiler
Vengeance
Spoiler

Riposte
Spoiler

Herald of Thunder
Spoiler

Tempest Shield
Spoiler

Gear

Necessary Items

- The gloves are your primary source of melee damage and the ring provides you with the power charges for discharge.

Recommended Items

Spoiler
- Lioneye's Remorse is cheap and provides a heap of armour, life, block chance and reduced projectile damage.
- Saffell's Frame is similarly cheap and provides you with +max. resistance for map bosses like ''Shock and Horror'' in Torture Chamber. Do keep in mind that this shield makes you relatively fragile to phys damage, having no block chance and loosing a lot of armour. I have had many near deaths and a few deaths because of this...
- Having no weapon makes it easy to switch to another shield without loosing your damage capabilities.

All other item slots
Spoiler
- The use of three unique items without resistances requires you to focus on getting your resistances on the remaining items.
- You can get away with using a Tabula Rasa on low to mid tier maps (used it till lvl 75 until I got a cheap 6l), however, you'll be struggling maintaining max ress and missing out on some life. I didn't mind taking risk with careful flask usage but one can decide to run a 5l instead.
- In general; focus on life, maxing out resistances, armour and added lightning damage to attacks when the occasion arises.
- Movement speed on boots together with a quicksilver flasks allows for fast movement speed whilst cycloning, increasing your clear speed.

Flasks
Spoiler
- Two life flasks. I would suggest two bubbling divine flasks with remove bleeding and remove freeze.
- One Quicksilver flask (Ample of Adrenaline). Allows for faster clear speeds. When encountering difficult bosses one can swap to an elemental resistance flask of choice.
- Aztiri's Promise. Chaos resistance, added chaos damage, leech, cheap! What's not to love?
- Rumi's Concoction. Provides extra armour and block chance, great defensive flask. A cheaper variant would be a normal Granite Flask, however, I would highly recommend getting a Rumi's.

My Current Gear
Spoiler
Jewels are to be added

Gems

Main skill AOE
- 4/5/6l: Cyclone/Ice Crash + COMK + Discharge + Blood Magic (BM) + Lightning Penetration (LP) + Life Leech (LL)
Spoiler
- Depending on your preference you can run either cyclone on Ice Crash. I prefer cyclone usually due to the mobility and the chill effect of arctic armour.
- BM is necessary to negate the otherwise high mana cost of cyclone or ice crash + links. The skill tree provides us with plenty of life regen to not even notice the BM. The discharge does plenty of damage with only LP and the increase spell damage of COMK as damage modifiers. In order to not run BM one would need to drop arctic armour and manage a mana flask.
- LL is chosen for survivability, it works on both cyclone/ice crash as well as discharge. I initially ran hypothermia instead, however the damage wasn't necessary at all and I preferred the ease of not having to monitor my life that much, especially when running Blood Rage on maps with damage over time ground effects.

Main skill Single target
- 4/5/6l: Cyclone/Ice Crash + Concentrated Effect/Added Lightning Damage + LP + BM + LL + Hypothermia/Fortify
Spoiler
- When normally running Cyclone, one can swap Cyclone (Green) for Hypothermia (Green) and COMK (Red) for Ice Crash (Red).
- When normally running Ice Crash, one can swap COMK (Red) for Fortify (Red).
- Discharge can be replaced by Concentrated Effect of Added Lightning Damage.
- When you're using a Tabula Rasa, any choice of the above mentioned skill gems can be combined.
- I rarely need to swap gems for single target damage, as most bosses have at least some adds and once they are dead the cyclone/ice crash damage can finish it quickly.

The remaining set pieces:
Spoiler
- 4l: Herald of Thunder (HoT) + Curse on Hit (CoH)+ Conductivity + Reckoning
Spoiler
HoT linked to CoH allows for everything to be cursed as it is always triggered and does surprisingly a lot of damage.
Reckoning does decent damage to start with and makes sure bosses or other strong mobs without adds get cursed.
Conductivity as a curse requires no explanation.

- 4l: Wrath + Arctic Armour + Flame Dash + Summon Flame Golem
Spoiler
Wrath adds additional lightning damage to attacks and multiplicative lightning damage to spells.
Arctic Armour chills enemies while cycloning/moving and provides more physical and fire defence whilst ice crashing/stationary.
Flame Dash is a mobility skill, can be swapped out with Lightning Warp if preferred.
Summon Flame Golem, adds a bit of damage, can be swapped out with other golems of skills of your liking.

- 4l: Tempest Shield + Enduring Cry + Blood Rage + Increased Duration
Spoiler
- Tempest Shield provides +3% block chance and additional damage
- Enduring Cry restores life, adds some damage to discharge and lures monsters to you. Can be swapped with other warcry's or skills
- Blood Rage increases your attack speed and adds a few frenzy charges which add a little damage to discharge and increased damage of cyclone/ice crash.
- Increased Duration speaks for itself.

- 3l: Cast When Damage Taken (CWDT) + Immortal Call (IC) + Riposte
Spoiler
- IC + CWDT are used as an defence mechanism, if you cast enduring cry prior to engaging a pack of monsters you get the occasional IC with 3 enduring charges up.
- Riposte is used as extra damage.
- The same setup can be used on your offhand, however, as I only occasionally run Saffell's Frame, I just use it to lvl gems.

Skill Tree

114 Points / lvl 93
Spoiler
https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAAAdwDlgSzBjkLYQxfD6sTnhZAFm8WvxcvGFYaOBynJIskqiaVJy81kjbpOuE7KDwFPC09D0GHRXxG10d-TeNRYFOlVUtV1lnzXfJfsGBDYeJk52VNZp5odGjybj1vO2-ecYVyD3Kpd-N4DXzZfjOApIKbgwmDX4PMhMWE2YV9jDaQVZSgl5eaO5u1n9-iAKSRplepbqyqr2yvp7FCtDi18rc-vTa-gL6nwBrAZsM6xPbGrspKzLfVddhN2L3aYtq542rlGe988B_yRfMG9zL56PrS-6r79f4K_o9mVJRvY0MN0Q5I

Main notables
Resolute Techniques
5 % additional Chance to Block with Shields
47 % increased Attack Speed
126 % increased Elemental Damage
52 % increased Lightning Damage
156 % increased maximum Life
6 % of Life Regenerated per Second
60 + to maximum Life
20 +% to Chaos Resistance
12 +% to all Elemental Resistances
2 + Maximum Power Charge

Current skill tree (lvl 88)
Spoiler
https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAAAdwDlgSzBjkLYQxfD6sTnhZAFm8WvxcvGFYaOBynJIskqiaVJy81kjbpOuE7KDwFPC09D0GHRXxG10d-TeNRYFOlVUtV1lnzXfJfsGBDYeJk52VNZp5odGjybj1vO2-ecYVyD3Kpd-N4DXzZfjOApIKbgwmDX4PMhMWE2YV9jDaQVZSgl5eaO5u1n9-iAKSRplepbqyqr2yvp7FCtDi18rc-vTa-gL6nwBrAZsM6xPbGrspKzLfVddhN2L3aYtq542rlGe988B_yRfMG9zL56PrS-6r79f4K_o8=

Jewels
The final skill tree has access to 6 jewel slots, adding a great deal of damage.
Spoiler
- Martial Artistry, increased area of effect for both cyclone/ice crash and discharge.
- Warlord's Reach increases your cyclone AOE radius, however it is kind of useless for ice crash and discharge. I wouldn't recommend using it.
- Rare jewels. Any combination of Increased lightning damage, increased area damage, %max. life, attack speed and/or shield block chance.

Lvling
Spoiler
- I suggest leveling as an phys melee character until you can equip Doryani's Fist.
- Get a high phys one or two hander. Any unique, good rare or crafted %phys magic weapon (Vendor: a Weapon, a Blue or Rare Rustic Sash, a Blacksmith's Whetstone)
- Ice Crash isn't as mana heavy due to the slow attack speed and easy to scale with phys. damage/weapon elemental damage, hypothermia and fortify
- Make sure to get your hands on the skill gems you want to use endgame, to lvl them even when you aren't using them.
- Links to low lvl skill tree suggestions can be found below.

30 point skill tree
https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAA2E2UoNpiaHT56EGHtz48LYPMxq582fcycqnE9ti9_gpo8q9sC2GiAPAfBLPAZmBDbj0DljsogwnKSm-e

60 points skill tree
https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAA2E2UoNpiaHT56EGHtz48LYPMxq582fcycqnE9ti9_gpo8q9sC2GiAPAfBLPAZmBDbj0DljsogwnKSm-em7VfsMM6Fr8PqySLYeImlYw2VUuDXzwF73yf34KbmjtZ86yqkFUaOCcvcg_60mae42oWb3gNtfI1ksAa

Bandits
Spoiler
Normal: Help Oak
Cruel: Kill all
Merciless: Help Alira

Reflect
Spoiler
The occasional elemental reflect mob is no problem with max ress (even without Saffell's), but yes, reflect can be a pain. I would avoid all maps containing the elemental reflect mod. If you insist to give it a go. Do not use COMK + discharge, as discharge would occasionally eat chunks of life which can easily result in death (I must admit it I sometimes had to die twice before realising a corrupted map had elemental reflect on it, thinking at first my defence failed me for some reason...). Stick to Cyclone, equip Saffell's, run Purity of Lightning and carry a Topaz Flask.

Videos
Spoiler
Feel free to request any maps and I will try to get my hands on it and record it.

Magic Arid Lake Map (lvl76/T9). Had Increased movement, attack and cast speed + more magic monsters.
https://youtu.be/LdaRe8P100w

Unidentified Magic Malformation map (lvl76/T9). First time to do this map, boss didn't go to bad, but should have dodged those beams :p. For the boss I used cyclone + LP + LL + BM + Conc. Eff. + Fortify. Apologies for the poor quality, see Arid Lake map for HQ.
https://youtu.be/q3u-uTBqvRw

Unidentified Rare Mine map (lvl74/T8) + Vaal fragment. Had Temporal chains, multiple projectiles and a few unknown mods. I apologize for the poor quality and no sound, had some software issues.
https://youtu.be/e9qWep67rVE

Feedback & Updates
Spoiler
- I'm considering trying out a Lightning Coil + Purity of Lightning instead of Arctic Armour, however, I do not have a lot of time to gather the currency required for a 6-linked one.
- added in-game statistics tab (23/11/15)
- added three videos (24/11/15)

ps the season is upon us!
Spoiler
Last edited by Bruderhase on Nov 24, 2015, 10:31:22 PM
In-game statistics and videos are added!
Last edited by Bruderhase on Nov 27, 2015, 6:33:03 PM
Looks interesting. Might give this a try since I bought one of those fists and never ended up using it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info