[2.0.5] Budget Mjölner Build [12 Exalts][WIP]

1.) Introduction

While leveling my Scion as a Cyclone-CoC with the Fakener Build, I really fell in love with the idea of discharging. But using CoC + Cyclone got mixed results for me, sometimes I had streaks of discharges filling my screen, sometimes I got none for quite some time, and if you are sitting in front of a Boss, this could get quite annoying. So I calculated my chances for CoC to proc, and at 68% gem chance and ~50% crit chance I noticed that even a non-legacy Mjölner actually has more proc chance.

So I leveled to 60 and equipped an Astramentis, Romira's Banquet and my newly bought Mjölner and suddenly monsters started to die again and I raced through Act II - IV in merciless in under 2 hours. As I'm level 70 at the time of this writing, I don't really know about the strenghts and weaknesses in high level mapping, but I will update this guide asap when I level further.

How is this a budget guide at 12 Exalts ?

If you look over at other Mjölner Guides, you often see prices starting at ~70 Exalts, skyrocketing up to 300 Exalts for top end gear. I don't have that much curreny, and a lot of other players (especially new ones) don't have that much either. Many (I assume that) don't even own a tenth of that.

So how is the title price calculated ?

Non-legacy Mjölner : 4-5 Exalts, if you bargain hard and check poe.trade every few hours/days, you may find one for 2-3 Exalts (rolls are irrelevant to us, so no need to look for any special stats !)
Romira's Banquet : 1 Exalt, we don't care about the rolls, the only thing we want is the special effect, which in combination with Resolute Technique allows us to gain Power Charges for Discharge
Astramentis : 2-3 Exalts, this Amulet gives us our much needed stats, at ~100 Attributes you also won't have to worry about Dexterity anymore - If you are on an even tighter budget, Atziri's Foible Amulet (1c) will also do the trick, BUT you will a) have to get your Dex elsewhere and b) lose a lot of defensive stats (100 Strength = 50 Life) and c) every stat on it is wasted, because we don't use mana in this build !

So right now we are at 8-10 Exalts, and have our core build set up. The remaining currency (2-4 Exalts) can be spent freely on the other slots to bolster up your defensive/offensive stats, but here are some recommendations :
- Rainbowstride + Saffel's Frame/Rathpith Globe : 10 Chaos for each, grant a good amount of block/spellblock (45/40), some damage and life, a nice amount of all resists
- Doryani's Invitation (Lightning version) : 15-20 Chaos, price highly dependent on the damage roll, you can save quite some curreny if you go for a <25% damage roll, offers both offensive and defensive stats, also some strength for the Mjölner, but sadly lacks any +Life - P.S. You should really invest in this belt if your Arc Gem is not Q20 yet due to the 10% shock chance on flask use !
- Belly of the Beast : 5-10 Chaos for a 4-Link, 1-2 Exalts for a 5-Link, this chest has many nice rolls for us a) up to 40% increased max. life, especially with the missing life on belt and boots this is a very good choice and b) while the all resists seems negligible the 50% Flask Life recovery rate increase boosts our survival chances, because we can heal up to 3200 hitpoints over 1.5 seconds with our Seething and Bubbling Flasks (1699 instant + 1440 over 1.5 seconds)
- The other gear (second Ring, Helmet & Gloves) is the place where you want fill up your +Life, +Resists and +Strength and/or +Intelligence, if you feel however comfortable with your defenses you can buy a Doedre's Tenure for 1 Chaos.

Optional Upgrades :
- Intuitive Leap : 1 Exalt, saves you 4 Nodes in the left side of the templar area (5 Nodes if you plan on upgrading to a Voll's Devotion later), if you don't get one it's allright, you just have to delay some other nodes to get things like Devotion and Overcharge first.
- 20/20 Arc : 1 Exalt, this will grant you a noticeable damage boost, with the innate shock bonus + Celestial Punishment your discharges will deal +75% increased damage.

2.) Gearing Options

My Gear (LVL87)

[Stat Screenshots coming soon !]

Flasks

I run the following Flask Setup :

I only change to a Shock Removal/Topaz Flask for Reflect and Maps where I know that I will get shocked (+Light dmg, Temple/Torture Chamber maps).

Jewels

This build offers 5 easily reachable Jewel slots.
1 is filled with the Intuitive Leap for me.
I filled the second with a corrupted Warlord's Reach with "Immune to Silence"
The other 3 slots are filled with a mixture of Spell/Lightning damage, some Int/Str, +Block Chance and some resists and Life.
The optimal jewel would be a quadfecta of +1 Block Chance, +Lighting/Spell Damage, +All Attributes, +Life/+All Resists, which would free up some points on your gear.

Gear Alternatives

Belly of the Beast => Lightning Coil + Purity of Lightning, Carcass Jack or Daresso's Defiance (LC being the tankiest and Daresso's the most offensive choice)
Rare Helmet => Devoto's Devotion (Chaos Res, Movement Speed, Attack Speed and a nice chunk of Dex, everything about this helmet screams awesome, sadly no +Life, costs ~20-30 Chaos)
Rainbowstride => Rare Boots with +Life, +Resists, +Movement Speed, if your Life is under 5K you should consider rare boots/a rare belt
Doryani's Invitation => Rare Belt with +Life, +Resists, +Str and possibly +Int/+Flask Recovery
Rathpith Globe => Lioneye's Remorse / Rare Armor/ES Shield with +Life, +Resists and high block chance

3.) Passive Tree, Leveling & Bandit Choices

Leveling from 1-60
I would suggest leveling with a cheap pair of Facebreakers, 2x -Skill Cost Elreon Iron Rings, +Phys Quiver/Shield, Meginords Belt & Foxshade Leather. You can use any skill, but Cyclone with Blood Magic + LGoH or Infernal Blow + Multistrike + Melee Splash are preferred. I attached a level 40 Skill Tree, this should be usable for the aforementioned setups. You may need to spend some Skill Points for some Dex/Int Nodes, but you can respec them later. This setup should carry you to level 60, where you can equip your Mjölner.

Level 40
Level 40 Skilltree (Scion, End of A4 Normal):
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAAA5YUIDWSOuE7KDwtSshN41BHXz9gQ2ebbj1uqnKpe8N82YLkg1-DzIqvkBGmV64-tfK3Pr6AvrzE9sau2L3kUe8O8kX3Mv4K_o-DCaIA8B9o8q9sC2HAZgSz73w8BQ==

Get the points in any order you like, but Resolute Technique should be gotten as quick as possible !

Level 56
Level 56 Skilltree (Scion, End of A4 Cruel) :
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAAA5YUIDWSOuE7KDwtSshN41BHXz9gQ2ebbj1uqnKpe8N82YLkg1-DzIqvkBGmV64-tfK3Pr6AvrzE9sau2L3kUe8O8kX3Mv4K_o-DCaIA8B9o8q9sC2HAZgSz73w8BYKb7SDhc4V77DhyD5RvZlRxhUbXVynMt9V1sULPfnas6hgnLzrYkFUpT2u3hX0=

You will still faceroll everything with your Facebreakers, so we start to get points for our main build, mainly in the templar area.

Level 70
Level 70 Skilltree (Scion, End of A4 Merciless) :
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAAA5YEswthDF8N0Q5IFCAWvxo4HKcmlScvNZI64TsoPAU8LUZxRtdKyE3jUEJQR1M1U6VVS1cpXfJfP2BDYeJjQ2ZUZ5to8m49bqpxhXIPcql2rHvDfNmCm4LkgwmDX4PMhXuFfYqvjDaMdpARkFWTJ5RvmjuhL6IAoi6mV64-r2yxQrQMtfK3Pr6Avoq-vMBmxPbGrsrTzLfPftV12L3hc-RR6hjsOO8O73zwH_JF9zL-Cv6P

This skilltree includes the Intuitive Leap in the left templar area, respec some jewel nodes or some of the scion life wheel nodes if you miss it ! This setup grants you 160 Int, 265 Str from the tree alone, so you are at ~260 Int & ~365 Str with Astramentis, missing 40 Int and 47 Str for Mjölner, which you have to fill up with your gear or jewels.

Level 100
Level 100 Skilltree (Scion) :
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAAA5YEswthDF8N0Q5IFCAWvxynJpU1kjrhOyg8BTwtRnFG10rITeNQQlBHUzVTpVVLVyld8l8_YENh4mNDZlRnm2jybj1uqnGFcg9yqXase8N82YKbguSDCYNfg8yFe4qvjDaQEZMnlG-aO6EvogCiLqZXrj6vbLFCtAy18rc-voC-ir68wGbE9sauytPMt89-1XXYveFz5FHqGOw47w7vfPAf8kX3Mv4K_o95OX7iGj6tjSepf8aCB9l8FHH464IeiELBxREPTC0UsFAw217ZX-ASjRl-r92MwBp4DaluhNkB3HfjvqdlTb02R35vO8QV

Somewhere at level 80-85 you want to drop your Astramentis and get either a Voll's Devotion (if you amassed enough curreny in the mean time) or an amulet with +Life, +Dex (you will need 50-60+ !), +Resists and maybe some spell damage/lightning damage.
It depends on your toughness, whether you want to go to the Duelist or the Witch area first. The Witch area offers : 70 Int, 30 Str, 28% spell damage (at 7 Power Charges), +1 Power Charge, 71% Lighting damage and some penetration.
The Duelist area offers : 50 Str, 10 Int, 20 Dex, +1 Jewel Socket, 18% Life, 12% AS, some Life regen and Armor, and +2 Weapon Range, which is immensely helpful if you are using Cyclone as your proccing attack.

Bandits

If you got a "Faster Attacks" gem with Quality, you can get 1 Skillpoint in Cruel
Normal : Oak => +40 Life
Cruel : Kraitlyn => +8% AS / Kill all => 1 Skillpoint
Merciless : Alira => +1 Power Charge

4.) Gem Setup

- Mjölner : Life Leech, Arc & Discharge
- Shield : Flame Dash, Faster Casting & Blood Magic
- 1st 4Link : CWDT, Molten Shell, Tempest Shield & Inc. Duration
- 2nd 4Link : CWDT, Immortal Call, Conductivity (Ele Weakness with Voll's Devotion), Flame Golem
- 3rd 4Link : Arctic Armour, Herald of Thunder, Wrath & Enlighten
- Chest : Cyclone, Faster Attacks, Blood Magic, Life gain on Hit, Fortify (5L), Life Leech (6L)

Where do you want Quality on Gems ?

- Arc => Increased shock chance
- Life Leech => Increased life leech per second, very useful because we don't into Vaal Pact
- Cyclone => Inc. AOE, so we can hit enemies easier/from farther away, if you have a Q20 Cyclone, you should also "qualify" your Discharge for inc. AOE
- HoT => up to 15% inc. global (!) Lightning Damage

P.S. You never want Quality on your Lightning Strike, because it causes it to pierce (!) rendering your +1 Chain from Mjölner useless !

Gem Explanation & Alternatives

- Flame Dash => Lightning Warp OR Leap Slam (+ Faster Attacks & Blood Magic)
- Conductivity => Enfeeble / Temporal Chains (if you are low on toughness)
- Flame Golem => Chaos Golem (if you are low on toughness)
- Auras : I run AA, HoT & Wrath, which reserve 100% of my mana. Alternatives are Haste instead of Wrath, Purity of Lightning and Fire instead of AA & HoT for Voll's setup, requiring a high level enlighten and some -Mana reservation nodes. But in the end, you are very flexible with your auras, you could even run an Alpha's Howl if you get your resists/life somewhere else.
- Main Attack : I run Cyclone, even though Molten Strike/Lightning Strike generate a lot more procs. If you go MS/LS, your links would probably look like this : MS/LS + Multistrike + GMP + Faster Attacks + Blood Magic + LGoH (6L), so you have to get a 5L Chest at minimum.
- Why do I run Cyclone ? 1. It saves me 3-6 nodes to get to Unwavering Stance 2. It deals damage while moving, and I don't like the "stutter-stepping" approach with MS/LS 3. It requires one less socket/link, which allows me to run Reckoning in the 6S 4. I have a skin for Cyclone and it looks really cool ;)

5.) Pros & Cons of Budget Mjölner

+ With what it seems like minimal adjustments I get the price of a "standard" Mjölner Discharge build down from 70-300 Exalts to ~12 by losing Voll's Devotion (>20 Exalts in normal), Legacy Mjölner (>50 Exalts) and some other high price items
+ Very flexible gearing, once you have the basic core for 5-8 Exalts everything else is pretty much up to you
+ Can do many map mods, including No Regen, Reflect (equip Saffel's & use Purity of Lightning), -Max Resists (equip Saffel's), Temp Chains/Enfeeble, EE (turn off HoT & use Molten Strike), Blood Magic (just turn off Auras), some combinations may be hard (like -60% regen and reflect), but the only Mod I think this build won't be able to do is No Leech (don't know how well LGoH works with Arc/Discharge).
+ Tanky with many buffs (Tempest Shield, Molten Shell, AA, Fortify, Golem, Dual CWDT) and LL (which is pretty much required since 2.0)
+ Eats lower tier Maps (up to T5-6) for breakfast as far as I can tell right now
+ Very mobile with Cyclone, allowing to deal damage and dodge spells/attacks

o Group friendly if you spec into Conduit, but also unfitting for groups because of FPS drops

- Discharge still causes horrendous amounts of FPS drops, especially at level start/large packs, can sometimes get you killed
- Around 50-70% less damage because of no Voll's Devotion/ Legacy Mjölner than a "standard" Mjölner Build, also quite some healing lost because of no Kingsguard & Endurance Charges (though you can change your curse to Warlords Mark)
- With my setup this build will probably not be playable as CI/Low Life, so if you got good items from a CI Build you won't be able to use them here

6.) Video(s)

Coming soon™ as I get to level 80+ and can do some Tier 8-9+ Maps.

7.) Changelog

Updated on 11/23/2015 :
- Passive Tree Rework : https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAAA5YEswthD6sRDxQgFkAWbxa_Fy8aOB0UJIsmlScvLdI1kjpYOyg8BTwtRtdKyFAwUEdVS1XGVdZXKVnzXz9fsGBDYeJk52ZUZp5nm2jybj1uqm-ecYVyD3Kpdqx7w3zZfq-ApIKbguSDCYNfg8yD24TFhX2Kr4w2jHaNGY9GkBGQVZRvmjuboZu1nz6iAKyYrKquPq9ssUK18rcxtz6-gL68wGbDOsT2xq7KSs9-2L3ZX9te3YzgEuFz42rkUeoY7w7vfPAf8kXzEfcy99f60v4K (LVL85 Tree)
-> Dropped Intuitive Leap, replaced with Inspired Learning (same place), just takes some nodes to activate it, can be left out until LVL85-90+
-> Changed the pathing to the Shadow Area, now the path goes over the Dexterity (bottom) side, making it easier to pick up Vaal Pact at 90+
-> Pathing to the Heart of Thunder Wheel, taking Sovereignty on the way, which allows us to run Wrath, Haste & Herald of Thunder + LVL3 Enlighten, leaving us at exactly 100% reserved mana

- Some pretty hefty changes in my Equipment, these allowed me to climb to 5,6k HP, while losing Damage and having to change Skill Points, but as I was dying to phys damage most of the time, I felt this change was necessary
-> Dropped Astramentis, replaced it with a rare +Life/+Stat Amulet, this requires some additional Dexterity, thus the change in pathing
-> Dropped Rainbowstride, replaced with rare 30%MVS, +Life, Dual Res Boots
-> Dropped Cyclone, replaced with Molten Strike (GMP, FA, BM, MS)
-> Changed my CWDT setups, I run CWDT + IC + Tempest Shield + Inc. Duration / CWDT + MS + Enfeeble + Inc. Duration now
-> Auto Include of Rumi's Concoction, I only change to a Shock Removal/Topaz Flask for Reflect and Maps where I know that I will get shocked (+Light dmg, Temple/Torture Chamber maps), I also run double Bleed removal now

8.) End Text

You have reached the end of my guide, and I hope I helped you with the same problem I was facing when starting with my Mjölner build. This is my first guide for PoE, so if I made any mistakes or am missing something very important, let me know !
Greeting,
Freelancer
Last edited by Freelancer1111 on Nov 23, 2015, 6:31:25 PM
Where exactly do you put the intuitive leap?
I'm at level 60 with your build, seems pretty good so far. Didn't need the Astramentis to get the hammer equipped so that is pretty nice. I'll report on how things go when I start mapping.
I made your build!

I've run up to T14 rolled maps with ease (only forgo-ing ele-reflect and -% resistances). Thinking of saving for a Voll's, but that'll mean redo-ing quite a bit of the tree to get more charges...

What do you think?

A mad map I've finished without deaths

(Dropped Wrath for Purity of Elements to counter EW)
Last edited by CSAvaritia on Nov 22, 2015, 2:04:10 AM
Hi there!

I was wondering if this build is Atziri-viable, and if so, do I need to swap out any gems (like maybe Arc for conc effect)
Hi everyone, thanks for the testing and for your questions. I will answer them below, but first I'll post the updates and changes I made to the build since I posted it here. These changes will not be incorporated into the main post (!), because I feel that with Ascendancy a lot will change and I will probably have to rewrite a lot of text anyway (and I also guess that Scion won't be the optimal class for this build with the new sub-classes !).

Updated on 11/23/2015 :
- Passive Tree Rework : https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAAA5YEswthD6sRDxQgFkAWbxa_Fy8aOB0UJIsmlScvLdI1kjpYOyg8BTwtRtdKyFAwUEdVS1XGVdZXKVnzXz9fsGBDYeJk52ZUZp5nm2jybj1uqm-ecYVyD3Kpdqx7w3zZfq-ApIKbguSDCYNfg8yD24TFhX2Kr4w2jHaNGY9GkBGQVZRvmjuboZu1nz6iAKyYrKquPq9ssUK18rcxtz6-gL68wGbDOsT2xq7KSs9-2L3ZX9te3YzgEuFz42rkUeoY7w7vfPAf8kXzEfcy99f60v4K (LVL85 Tree)
-> Dropped Intuitive Leap, replaced with Inspired Learning (same place), just takes some nodes to activate it, can be left out until LVL85-90+
-> Changed the pathing to the Shadow Area, now the path goes over the Dexterity (bottom) side, making it easier to pick up Vaal Pact at 90+
-> Pathing to the Heart of Thunder Wheel, taking Sovereignty on the way, which allows us to run Wrath, Haste & Herald of Thunder + LVL3 Enlighten, leaving us at exactly 100% reserved mana

- Some pretty hefty changes in my Equipment, these allowed me to climb to 5,6k HP, while losing Damage and having to change Skill Points, but as I was dying to phys damage most of the time, I felt this change was necessary (new & current EQ in main post !) :
-> Dropped Astramentis, replaced it with a rare +Life/+Stat Amulet, this requires some additional Dexterity, thus the change in pathing
-> Dropped Rainbowstride, replaced with rare 30%MVS, +Life, Dual Res Boots
-> Dropped Cyclone, replaced with Molten Strike (GMP, FA, BM, MS)
-> Changed my CWDT setups, I run CWDT + IC + Tempest Shield + Inc. Duration / CWDT + MS + Enfeeble + Inc. Duration now
-> Auto Include of Rumi's Concoction, I only change to a Shock Removal/Topaz Flask for Reflect and Maps where I know that I will get shocked (+Light dmg, Temple/Torture Chamber maps), I also run double Bleed removal now

Answers to posts above :
"
narthon wrote:
Where exactly do you put the intuitive leap?

On the left side of the Templar starting Area, it covers the 4 notables, saving 4-5 nodes.

"
CSAvaritia wrote:
I made your build!

Thanks for testing, and you must have some mad skills, my best maps were double boss Necropolis and some corpse exploder infused Volcano Boss, but this one looks absolutely horrid ;)

A Voll's Devotion is a very nice addition in both damage and survivability, if your stats are high enough to drop Astramentis, I would go for it, you can also add a Kingsguard to the mix, but it's hard to roll green Sockets because of the Int/Str base.

"
theoddphantom wrote:
Hi there!

I was wondering if this build is Atziri-viable, and if so, do I need to swap out any gems (like maybe Arc for conc effect)

Yes it is, but would need some tweaks :
- Replace the CWDT with EC and self cast Enduring Cry and Immortal Call during the trio fight
- Switch Arc with Conc Effect for Atziri or you will kill yourself in her mirror phase
- Switch Rathpith Globe (if you wear it) with Saffel's Frame for the +Max Resist
- (Optional 1) Replace one CWDT with CWDT + Spell Totem + Purity of Fire + Purity of Lightning, this should help your survival, too
- (Optional 2) Take a ruby flask with you, sometimes you just can't dodge everything, so it's nice to have

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info