The Little Nuke that Could! Self-Cast Discharge Glass Cannonball

Do you like budget friendly builds that give you as much out of your money as possible? Well go to the nearest tornado shot/ split arrow build because this is not the build for you!

This is my first mostly unique/original build, and I wanted it to be something so stupidly awesome (and still stupid) that it worked. And it does! I haven't taken it to the tier 13+ maps yet (level 80+), but so far I've cleared several tier 8 vulnerability maps with ease.

The build works by generating charges somehow and using discharge's already high spell crit (though it was reduced from 8% to 7% in the awakening, it' s still high enough)to continuously generate more charges through voll's protector. The build also uses voll's devotion so that, in the event of your discharge not critting the first time, you still have a second shot at it.

Pros
-You can say you did something stupid, insane, and completely awesome
-Can explode things
-Good damage, especially against groups
-Lots of fine tuning to be done for your gear and preferences
-A new, unique, and fun gameplay experience
-Lots of empty sockets to shove in whatever the hell you want
-Will not make your computer attempt to kill itself like many other discharge builds. *cough* Cast on Crit *cough*
-much more control when compared to other discharge builds

Cons
-Expensive
-Bad for temp leagues because voll's devo
-Probably not worth it for the cost
-Is not only a glass cannon, but will hurl itself into a pack of mobs, and thus the build was named a glass cannonball
-Reflect is finally dangerous again

Only unique that this build will seriously not function at all without:

links don't matter too much, but you probably want at least a 2l, failing that, how did you manage to get all the items on the rest of the list? There's a voll's devo down the line and you only need a jew and a fuse AT MOST to get a 2l.

Recommended uniques that the build would suck without:

The corrupted mod doesn't really matter, it was just cheapest when I was shopping. Voll's devotion is amazing for this as, if your first discharge doesnt crit, you have a second one to try again. This lets you run through entire maps regularly without having to get more charges any more than once or twice in a fight. Even then, the second discharge has a good chance of finishing off the pack.

You want some kind of "cannot be stunned" mod on your character. You get basically no defences at all in the build, so stun is actually a massive problem. The life and armor is just a bonus, and you'll be using whirling blades to move around a lot so the lack of move speed doesn't matter.

Any other unique that may be helpful:

Crit and all that good stuff. If you really can't handle the extra mana cost, go for a maligaro's

Extra crit chance and attack speed for whirling blades. Probably the least useful unique for this build, but I use it since my resists are good enough and I like the extra quality of life.

For when you're doing something like fighting snakes on an ele res map and you seriously cant avoid mobs trying to kill you. This will freeze and ignite them the moment you graze them with a discharge.

Yup.

Rare Gear Explanation
Helmet: If you don't want any of the uniques mention above, just go for your standard health, defenses, and resists.
Gloves:you want crit on these, so no
Boots: If you really want the move speed, go for an eva boots and an eva helmet (possibly that rat's nest) and a top tier eva roll on both your rings, and go for reflexes in the scion wheel, and preferably acrobatics, and maybe, just MAYBE, the build will work fine.
Body armor: Why did I even bother putting this section here? And why are you even reading this?
hands: Two krises with roughly 100% spell crit rolls. you can sacrifice maybe 30% crit at most if another dagger has at least 40% more spell damage, but crit is one of the most important things for the build.
Rings: Diamond base preferably, and life=resists>strength if you want=more crit if you're rich enough to craft that
Belt: Life=resists>strength maybe>move speed. Only get move speed if you're physically in pain from not having less than 20% move speed, even though you're only using whirling blades.
Ammy: if you want to do this without a voll's devo, first of all, bad idea, have fun constantly refilling charges while mobs are smashing your face in, and second of all, crit>life>multi>res.
Jewels: crit=life>damage=multi>resists>es stuff>everything else

My Gear

I don't know want flasks should be, but I suggest 2 seethings with bleed and freeze, an over time flask, and 2 quicksilvers or a granite/jade and quicksilver, with at least one being curse.
Jewels are just 28% inc crit chance, life, resists, and damage.

With this gear I have gotten a few hundredths of a percent less than 86 crit chance with no power charges up.

Passives

Skill Tree
Bandits: Oak-skill-Alira or Oak
Skill tree options: vaal pact is mostly useless with ghost reaver since you don't burn through mana THAT fast. If you somehow find a way to get your es back, you can drop reaver, get vaal pact, and have massive amount of life leech. Zealot's Oath just seemed not worth the points since it was so far away. If you get intuitive leap, feel free to put it in the socket between scion, marauder, and duelist start. You can get the scion life wheel and unwavering stance, but you'll have to make massive edits to the tree that may not be worth it in the end.

Gems
Chest:
Discharge-Inc Crit Multi-Inc AoE-Faster Casting-Life Leech: This is personally what I would run most of the time for trash mob clearing. Switch out AoE for Conc effect for singletarget and switch faster casting out for conc effect if you're leaving trash mobs alive with 20% hp. You can toy around with increased burning damage and whatever else you can think of. If you're having trouble with mana you can use the reduced mana gem(selfcast discharge is, for some reason, super expensive to cast). BM with the voidbringers costs 300-400 life per cast, which is very dangerous on a char with low health like this one. you can swap out faster casting or increased aoe for a crit chance gem, but you should only do it if you're not using the devo or you're having trouble breaking 80% crit chance.
Also, IMPORTANT: do not use spell echo. In this game, the crit chance is only rolled once per click/cast. This means that if you don't crit the first time, the second "cast" doesn't crit at all. This negates the effect of the devo and means you just wasted 25-35 ex.
On a 4l, just run discharge-crit multi-life leech-(you have your pick for this socket)
Gloves: If you're using voidbringers, run your auras here. You'll want Discipline; life will suck without it. Wrath would probably be the rest of your auras, since it's the only thing that'll benefit you a lot. Another option is herald of ice and thunder with curse on hit linked to conductivity or elemental weakness, but wrath is better since those curses don't apply to all mobs instantly.
Dagger 1: faster attacks, whirling blades, lightning warp
Dagger 2: Gem swap or golem setup, or both
Helmet: immortal call codt setup, with codt level so it'll proc when you take about half your health as damage. Remember, you'll have a lot of endurance charges up all the time because of voll's devo.

You should have 3-5 gem sockets open to do whatever you want with at this point.

If you look at my setup, I don't follow half the stuff above. Do as I say, not as I do.

My Playstyle
Since increased aoe lets me cover half the screen with discharge anyways, I can stay at the edge of the pack or dive into the center for the larger ones. I use whirling blades to kite bosses or dangerous mobs.

Leveling Process
I used a level 80 char from a 1 month, but to level up I guess I would go winter arc (3 dragons and crit arc) until I got to a point I felt confident switching at.

Gameplay videos will be coming once I get a better computer.
Last edited by orangbo on Oct 15, 2015, 7:18:30 PM
Guys, remember those pre 1.1 discharge lowlifers. Thanks for this build. Didn't play it but a walk down memory lane. Remember when the cast on death gem was used as a support cause it's damage bonus applied all the time, not just when dead.
I just made the build because it seemed dumb enough to work; I only started playing in the middle of ambush so I wouldn't know about anything pre-1.1.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info