Trogdor’s Dual VBattery EK 260k DPS

Hello! I go by Trogdoorrrr on PoE, and this is my first guide! I hope to keep this up to date and improve it over time. Thank you for visiting and I hope you enjoy the build!

Introduction:
Spoiler
This Ethereal Knives build utilizes dual Void Battery, and Voll’s Protector. I have played with several EK builds since 2.0, and this is the best that I have come up with so far. I hope you enjoy the build. Feel free to make suggestions and ask questions. I will try to make this guide intuitive and complete.

Vocabulary:
Spoiler
1. EB Eldritch Battery
2. AA Arctic Armor
3. ZO Zealots Oath
4. MOM Mind Over Matter
5. VB Void Battery
6. PCoC Power Charge on Critical
7. EK Ethereal Knives
8. ES Energy Shield

Why EK:
Spoiler
1. EK received many buffs in 2.0, and is the best spell for crit builds in the game right now (in my opinion).
2. EK fires ten projectiles, which means no GMP/LMP. This bumps DPS by a lot.
3. EK is physical. In order to run EK efficiently, we have to build different than most spell builds, but the mix of physical and elemental damage is nice.
4. EK never had the ability to shotgun. Removing shotgun in 2.0 did not hurt EK.

PROs:
Spoiler
1. AMAZING DPS. Even without double fisting Void Battery, EK deals the deeps.
2. A mix of elemental/physical damage is nice.
3. Very high health.
4. This build requires thought, but not too much. This keeps it interesting because you aren’t just pushing one button, and it isn’t so complicated that you feel overwhelmed.
5. Nine power charges. Nuff said.
6. Lives against reflect.
7. Fast clear speeds.
8. You use EK as single target and AOE, leaving other gem slots for other things.

ConS:
Spoiler
1. This build is very expensive. Don’t consider unless you already have the gear or 100+ exalts lying around.
2. Physical damage hurts.
3. Mana management can be difficult with EB/MOM/ZO.
4. No leech (unless you choose to run life leech gem or Doryani belt)
5. No life regen

Gear explanation and choices:
Spoiler
Voll’s Protector:
Spoiler
1. Volls Protector is AMAZING for this build. It gives you a free power charge on critical. It is actually better than power charge on critical because you gain a power charge per enemy hit, while power charge on crit only gives one per attack/cast.
2. Voll’s received a pseudo-buff in 2.0. The fact that EB makes ES protect mana instead is a way to get around the reduced mana penalty on this chest.
3. The energy shield doubles as mana/health.
4. The armor is subpar but at least it has some.

You can choose not to run Voll’s, but I do NOT recommend it. Voll’s is amazing. If you do not run Voll’s, you will have to run PCoC in place of another support in your 6L. This isn’t a game breaking decision and is still viable. Other options could include Lightning Coil, Pure ES, or ES/Armor Chest, or pure armor chest.

Void Battery:
Spoiler
VB is one of the most amazing pieces of gear in the game. At nine power charges you gain amazing spell damage. You have crit chance. You have cast speed. This beauty has everything we want. We don’t utilize the mana, but this isn’t a big deal.

Helm:
Spoiler
I use a rare helm with ES/armor hybrid. This give our build the most bang for your buck. It is like having a helmet with seven mods. The energy shield is mana/health. Every single bit of armor will go a very long way with this build. Try to get that high ES/armor roll. The others are obvious. You need health and resists.

Boots:
Spoiler
You should not have many difficulties reaching resist cap. The big priority on the boots is the 30% movement speed. You really want the 30%. This basically increases your defense, clear speeds, and quality of life all at once. You should also try getting chaos resist on as many pieces as you can. The base should be ES/armor or strait ES.

Gloves:
Spoiler
Same deal on the gloves. You want ES/armor. You want resists. You want health. You can also use Maligaro’s Gloves. I choose not to run them because the defense on them is terrible, and you have no problem finding DPS elsewhere.

Belt:
Spoiler
You can go two ways with the belt.
1. Go with a rustic sash with armor, life, ES, resists.
2. Go with Doryani physical belt.
I choose to use a rustic sash. You are not losing much DPS potential. You get armor, which is a very big deal, and you can get ES. You are not hit very often, so the life leech is not always being utilized. All in all I think this is a better choice. Belts with all the desired mods are VERY cheap for what you pay. The reason is that so many people use Doryani. You will get a lot of bang for your buck.
You can use a Doryani. This will improve your quality of life by a small amount. Having the leech is nice. The resists are good. Cons are that there is no armor, and the strength only provides a small amount of it. The stun duration is basically a wasted mod because you are freezing/stunning often enough.

Necklace:
Spoiler
The best option here is a legacy critical multiplier amulet if you can find one. You want spell damage, critical strike chance, critical multiplier, health, resists.

Rings:
Spoiler
I use diamond rings. This speaks for itself. The 30% you can get from a diamond ring is a HUGE DPS boost and very efficient. Other options for rings are coral rings and resist rings. You will NEED to get dexterity on your gear somewhere, and I find that the rings is the easiest place to do it. So on the rings you want DEX, health, cast speed, resists.

Flasks:
Spoiler
You need at least two health flasks. One that will remove bleedings, and the other to remove freeze or curse. The quicksilver is an obvious choice. Granite flask is also a given. You can run either Atziri’s Promise, Diamond, or Taste of Hate for your fifth. You can also run a third health flask.

My Gear:

Spoiler

Passive Skill Tree:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwMAAx4EBwSzBUIGIwceC2EMXw3NDdEOSBEPES0RlhSwFm8Wvxo4GmwcpxzOHRQfQSBuJKomlScvKU8qCytQLJwxnjLRNuk62DrhPC1BlkSrRUdFnUlRTC1Ms03jUDBTUlOlVUtVrlXGXfJh4mNDZJ1o8mu3cFJw1XyDghCCHoKbg1-DzIPbhTKFfYhCidOMNo5kj6aP-pBVlS6a4KIApleus69sr6e1BLVItvq3PsBmwcXE9sau0PXVpti92wvbXt-w42rkIuvu6_XsGOw48B_w1fId8kXz6vem98H60v4K_lQ=

Bandits:
Spoiler
Normal: Oak
Cruel: Oak
Merciless: Alira

Gem Choices:

Spoiler
6L Gems:
1. EK
2. Added Fire
3. Faster Casting
4. Spell Echo
5. Faster Projectiles
6. Increased Critical Damage

You can also use Life Leech, Physical to Lightning. I believe the six listed to be superior though.

4L:
1. Summon Chaos Golem
2. Minion Life
3. Empower
4. Life Gain on Hit

4L:
1. Enlighten
2. Herald of Ash
3. Hatred
4. AA

3L:
1. Enduring Cry
2. Increased AoE
3. Increased Duration

3L:
1. CWDT
2. Molten Shell
3. Vaal Discipline

4L:
1. CWDT
2. Enfeeble
3. Increased Duration
4. Immortal Call

Screenshots of DPS and Defense:
Coming Soon

Atziri:
I attempted Atziri one time. I made it to Atziri easy without any deaths. I did not down Atziri though. This was my first attempt at Atziri ever. I am sure someone with experience would easily down her. I am running PoE on a potato as well and don't believe that I can provide a video even if I did down her. If anyone uses this build and is able to get a video, I will happily give you credit and showcase your video here.
Last edited by trogdoorrr on Sep 6, 2015, 5:32:47 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info