DCSuol's BUDGET Ele-KB Wander - 35k dps with <1ex Cost | Updated for 2.2: 90k GMP dps

[2.2 Update: Just got around to messing with this build again. Ascendancy is pretty straight forwards. Get assassin, go deadly infusion and ambush, destroy monsters. I also tweaked the passive tree and you're now sitting on around 4k life. Fully buffed you get around 90k dps GMP on pretty average gear. Still definitely not HC viable. Will put on a 6l later and see how high you can push the dps.]

[UPDATE: I've been playing this build a bit on standard, and have made a few updates. Notably, I now use Mantra of Flames, Rats Nest, a better wand, and slightly changed passive tree. I now push upwards of 60K+ dps with gmp. At the time of the initial write up, the damage and cost are unchanged.]

Hey guys, I'm DCSuol and just wanted to do a quick writeup on my elemental Kinetic Blast wander. I've had a great time playing this build, and noticed that there weren't very many "clear" v2.0 KB wander build threads. The spec I'm playing was heavily influenced by Mathil (https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1130134), but I found the writeup a bit confusing with v1.30 thrown in and the gear not linked properly. Overall though, mad props for Mathil coming up with such a great build.

As mentioned in the title, this build is extremely budget while still being quite strong. The total cost of my gear is less than 1ex, and I'm pushing 35k dps with lvl 18 gems and gmp. This build is most likely not HC viable as the defenses mostly rely in freezing and killing enemies before they have a chance to hit you. We go pure ele since it tends to be cheaper, and good physical wanders require very nice gear. Feel free to reach out to me at: dcsuokb with any questions.

Screenshots

Unbuffed

Defenses

Fully Buffed

General Idea

Use Wrath, Hearld of Ice (HOI), Herald of Thunder (HOT), good ele rolls, and crit to push maximum elemental damage. You will blow enemies up with this spec for very little investment. Total cost of my gear is only 45 CHAOS and can still breeze through high-end maps. This is very much a glass cannon spec, with damage prioritized over life and defenses. With better gear however, it can still be pretty tanky, assuming you can get lightning coil, taste of hate, and high evasion gear. However, that's just not very budget anymore.

We run Assassins mark on HOI and HOT to maintain power charges, and blood rage/ frenzy for frenzy charges. These charges are very important, as they more than double our damage. I have 7 frenzy charges and 4 power charges.

With Mantra of Flames we now try to stack as many buffs as possible. This includes the 3 auras and golem, as well as flasks. Because of that, spam those flasks!

Passive Tree

Passive skill tree build

Tree Decisions:
Shadow start for most efficient elemental nodes.
Grab crit chance and crit multi. Path to Witch wander nodes.
Pierce is great for KB as each projectile pierce spawns the smaller explosions.
Frenzy nodes for extra damage and attack speed.
Path to duelist for life regen to run blood rage and good projectile damage nodes.

Alternatives:
Expand more on the witch area, grabbing power charge, area damage, and life.
Grab some jewel sockets.

Links

Chest: KB - Blood Magic - WED - GMP - FA - Slower Projectiles
Helm: Vaal Haste - Summon Ice Golem - Blood Magic - Blood Rage
Gloves: HOI - HOT - Curse on Hit - Assassins Mark
Weapon: Wrath - empty - empty
Shield: Frenzy - Power Charge on Crit - Blood Magic
The rest of the links is what you want.

Gear

Always, always keep in mind the potential for master crafting when picking gear. You can get great items cheap this way.
Weapon

Get as much ele damage rolls as possible on your wand while maintaining crit chance above 9.5%. With master crafting now available, crit is a lot easier to roll. I bought this wand for 8c, which was a great deal. I would expect to pay around 20c for a decent ele wand.
2nd wand is what I use now. I paid around 2ex for the wand.

Helmet

Devoto's is a cheap dps helmet that also looks fantastic. Rat's nest would be optimal, but costs significantly more. A rare with life/res/accuracy would also work. I paid 15c for this helm, which is about normal.

Body Armour

Any regular 5l with life/res works. Obviously 6l is better. Lightning coil would be my preferred bis chest.
I paid 8c for this chest.

Gloves, Boots, & Shield

Gloves get life/res/accuracy. Pretty cheap stuff. Bis would be Maligaro's. I paid 2c for these gloves
Boots get life/res/ms. Nothing spectacular here. I paid 3c for these.
Shield get life/res/evasion. Try to get as much evasion as you can. I paid 3c for this shield.

Belt

Get as much life/res/wed as possible. Generally not too expensive. I paid 3c for this belt.

Jewelry

This is typically where stuff gets expensive for crit builds. Good diamond rings can range up to many, many exalts. Thankfully we aren't that picky.
For Rings get life/wed/res. Resistance's aren't that important, so long as you can be capped. I paid 5c for my topaz ring, and 5c for my diamond ring.
Amulet get life/wed/accuracy/res. Same as rings, just get resistance capped. I got my amulet for only 48 alts.

Bandits & Leveling

Bandits: Oak - Kraityn - Kraityn/Alira
Leveling: Get a Twyzel. Wreck faces. Put on auras/weapon/gear when you can.
Passive Tree: Start with Shadow, path towards Witch, then fill out the more ranger/ duelist side.

In conclusion, this is a really fun and high dps build that can be achieved with a minimal budget. Would like to thank Mathil once again for more or less coming up with this build.
Last edited by dcsuol on Apr 2, 2016, 2:42:31 PM
Thanks for the write up, dcsuol!

I saw mathil's vid and I got pretty pumped to try this character out. There are a few more guides floating around, including one using Eldritch Battery. The latter, however, requires a 6-link to be fully effective and therefore out of my price range. I'll give this one a go!
Leveling this...

A3 was a bit of a pain before I hit 28...using frost blades and dieing a lot. Now that I'm ranged with a Twyzle it's blowing up stuff good.

For now I'm running KB - Reduced Mana - Inc Crits - LMP

Running Tri-heralds gives me 750 TT dps but in it's very fun. Lots of stuff triggering, and mobs just die quick.

Running elreon rings and neck so the cost of the 4L is only 2 mana, so it's totally sustainable even without BM in there. Planning on switching to BM of course once I have more than 600 life...
Hate to bust your balls, but not a budget build as a good devoto's is about 4ex on standard, maybe on temp leagues it is "budget."
Which jewels are you currently using?
How's the final tree?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info