[2.0] Allout Lightning Melee (budget build)

This is a little guide for a Hyaon's Fury melee scion.
This is both budget and style, while still able to beat enough content to enter maps and not be frustrated there.

Since I am...
a) a casual player,
b) too lazy to seriously grind or endlessly farm,
c) enjoying to waste all my currency on "useless" items,
d) not online often enough to run a shop or sell items, and therefor...
e) always poor,
...I wanted to create a high clearspeed budget build for the new leagues with very little equipment cost that will get me into maps in an easy way. Since I play melee only in each and every ARPG, it had to be another melee build in Warbands.

This is not hardcore.
Spoiler
So far I can level quite easily and don't die too often, but I got killed some times, be it mistakes or content too hard for my poor little Scion.
I "manually dodge" a lot of dangerous stuff via whirling blades.

My idea of fun is grabbing some rare playstyle or unique and trying to build around it, trying to make it work. I also enjoy the levelling progression from 1 to 80 more than the stupid grind after 90, so I don't even care about "end-endgame" viability.

And I obviously could improve my survivability by adding more expensive items that I do not own and will not be able to afford in the time of one league, unless I drop some Mjolnir stuff. No need to comment on that as well. This is seriously a "budget build". ;)

Not jumping on the "Armor and Endurance Charges or gtfo" train is also on purpose. Fuck FOTM. ;)

---

Main build idea / required uniques:

Cost: about 1 chaos each
(Hyaon's Fury seems to have been a little "underprized" for a while, now it's about 1 Ex in Warbands...)

Spoiler
Hyaon's Fury has some crazy elemental DpS (~400), that gets double-boosted by frenzy charges (normal frenzy bonus + 12% lightning damage per charge), yet it is considered a trash unique by most players, and even top rolls cost little to nothing.
Cool, I take this!

It enables a build with allout lightning damage, which is pretty cool (in a thematic way), and also kills very fast (faster than the raw DpS implies).
I love this Unique. It's so sweet! Wanna make it work? Here you go!

The Blood Dance boots are required to "get Hyaon's rolling" via convenient frenzy charge generation. It's the easiest way to do it, and on top of that, the life regeneration part is super useful as well (along with pots and the not very reliable "life on kill" stuff, regen is my only true life recovery).

To get even more lightning damage, I add auras, Wrath and Herald of Thunder.
Those two add some sweet free damage, and this also seriously helps progression during the leveling stage: just use a claw/dagger/sword/axe (whatever you find or can purchase cheaply) with high attackspeed and %WED, and the two auras carry you till Lvl62 (Hyaon's time).

To overcome the drawback of Hyaon's, I also added Arctic Armor, and to pay the mana cost of my attacks (mana leech is unavailable without phyiscal damage or dedicating a link in the main attack), I use a low-level Clarity Aura.

Every build needs some kind of defense, I chose Acrobatics, another gear-independent solution that costs nothing. And since Accuracy can be a tricky and very costly issue, I take Resolute Technique (you can drop this if you find a convenient way to save 4 skillpoints... I can't, so far).

Skilltree

Spoiler

As written above, I wanted:
*Lots of Life (160%+)
*Aura Nodes to be able to run all that stuff
*Acrobatics, RT keystones
*some lightning damage, elemental damage, weapon elemental damage and attackspeed
*some other useful stuff like 4 jewels, a frenzy charge, mana regen, life regen
*raw str, dex and int stats to be able to use any desired item and gem (only int needs a little boost via gear to save skill points)

The best solution I could come up with is this:
Go for the templar and shadow zone and grab the most useful nodes from there.
102 points
(Want to spend more skillpoints? Take the 3x 4% increased AoE at Scion start, the life and mana regen at Templar, more life nodes and the frenzy charge close to Ranger, life and regen at Marauder. You can drop some life to grab other stuff, but I wouldn't recommend doing so, Evasion/Acrobatics needs to have a serious life pool).

The tree may not be fully optimized (I'm having a hard time with this one), but it does the trick.

---

Gems
Find yourself a shadow player in town and offer him 1-2 chaos to buy these gems from the vendors:
Reave, Clarity, Culling Strike, Whirling Blades.
You get the rest by yourself throughout the game.
You can even wait until the intbased masters offer this stuff.

Main attack:
Spoiler

I used Cleave and Reave, whichever I rolled the socket colors for (more green sockets: Reave, more red sockets: Cleave). Both work perfectly fine and have a very similar playstyle. You can also try other skills if you like them more, but I generally prefer a skill that doesn't need Melee Splash to work as AoE and doesn't require me to target single monsters.

Cleave does slightly more damage (136,6% over 122,8% at lvl20) and has a fixed radius of 20 in a large 180° arc. You don't ever have to be in direct contact with monsters.

Reave starts with 14 radius and goes up to 31 after a couple attacks, at a slightly smaller 135% arc. You have to start at "true melee range", but get a bigger AoE than Cleave in the end.

No matter which skill you choose, you need these three DpS supports.
They fill the 4L (anyone can have a 4L).

Weapon elemental damage
Obvious choice, a huge "more" multiplier.
Multistrike and faster attacks
Also quite obvious, they make as attack at a comfortable speed.

That leaves us with up to two more support gems.
Note that this build works with a Tabula Rasa if need be, which can be easily obtained by farming Aqueduct for the Humility Divination Cards.
I highly recommend using utility gems here, not DpS gems, as long as you can afford to.
In higher maps you probably want some more DpS, switch to a dps setup once you have 5k+ HP and can actually tank a bit.

So pick two off of this list (italic: the ones I am using atm):
Increased AoE
Very comfortable for mob clearing. Let's you stay further away from damage sources and kite all sorts of monsters/bosses.
Lightning Penetration
Makes sure our DpS gets through the resists. Not 100% required, but it certainly helps a lot.
life leech/gain on hit
Helps recovering health.
Knockback
Pushes monsters (even exiles/bosses) out of melee range. This improves survivability by a ton, I'd say it helps more than life leech stuff, and it's great and fun to play. It only has the drawback that you will sometimes push shooters out of your attack range, so you have to "follow" them while they get pushed.
Added Lightning damage
Just more lightning dps without a drawback.

Level all these gems in you offhand weapon set, so you can adapt and switch (again, Tabula greatly helps in terms of "switching").

Other skills:
Spoiler

Mobility:
Whirling Blades
+Fortify
+Culling
+Rarity

Whirl through packs to gain the fortify bonus, then start hitting.
Used as a Magic Find tool to to finish bosses and rare monsters.
It has 100% uptime because of the high mana regen not dependent on leech, so you can use it to quickly run around all the time.

Lighnting Warp
+reduced duration and/or faster casting

Used to cross obstacles that cannot be whirled.
You don't really need those supports, if you want, you can free up two sockets.

Auras:
Clarity
Don't overlevel, I use Lvl 7, which is enough to sustain even in "-regen" maps.
Wrath
Lightning DpS.
Herald of Thunder + Curse on Hit + Conductivity (+ Elemental Weakness for rich people)
Easy curses, more DpS.
Arctic Armor
Easy survivability.

Trigger:
Feel free to use whatever combination you think is good.
I'm using a pure offensive one atm:
CWDT + arc + innervate + tempest shield
Arc and TS shock and help to proc Herald of Thunder. Not required, but it fits into the lightning theme. At higher levels, these spells actually manage to kill some monsters, which gets you the "onslaught" bonus from innervate quite often.

---

Gear
Spoiler
The two uniques from above are set, Hyaon's Fury and the Blood Dance.
The rest:
Rares with life and resists.

Gloves appreciate to have an attackspeed roll.

All the Jewelry and the belt want a high roll of % increased Weapon Elemental Damage (30%+).
This can get a bit expensive, unfortunatly, since every melee dude out there also has elemental damage via Hatred/added fire and uses this affix to scale his damage.

You also need a little bit of flat intelligence on gear (iE helmet, jewelry), because a lot of the gems are blue and require some serious int.
This can be solved via jewels or +30 int nodes as well, but it's obviiously better to save those points for life/damage.

If you can, use Gear with Evasion, since Acrobatics kills the Armor and ES ratings.
But you should probably use hybrid gear to get the required sockets, there's a lot of red and blue gems needed, and almost no green ones.
It's super hard to roll the desired sockets on stuff like:

You can use Vorici's 25 chromes recipe to force blue sockets on the weapon and shield for the auras and Lightning Warp. The Blood Dance can get RGGB for Whirling Blades quite easy (within 20 chromes, i guess). The rest: good luck to you.

Jewels:
Spoiler

In Act 2 Normal, rush the jewel quest, grab Survival Secrets as your reward. +3 flat mana regen is pretty nice to sustain the attacks, 10% elemental damage is also pretty sweet. You can keep this jewel forever.

The rest:
5-7% life is obligatory, then add other useful stuff (elemental damage, (sword) attackspeed, resists, int, mana cost)
Jewels like this are in alchemy orb range on poe.trade.com.

Flasks:
Spoiler
For reflect mobs, use a Topaz flask.
A Granite Flask seems to be more useful than a Jade Flask to me, because "some armor" (even if it is only at half value) seems to be required in some content.
Fill with 3 Divine Life Flasks (ideally instant, instant on low life).
As flask affixes, add the usual stuff:
Remove freeze, curse, shock, bleed (you need at least one bleed flask all the time, from lvl 30 upwards).

My setup, if you need visualisation:

---

Bandit Rewards
Spoiler
Oak for Life
Kraytin for attackspeed
Kraytin again for a frenzy charge

---

My Char/Screenshots (Lvl 74)
Spoiler

Lol, this n00b doesn't even have capped resists! ;)
Remember: this is "non-showoff" 4L DpS with unleveled gems without quality.
I expect it to grow by quite a bit.

Gear
Cheap stuff (most is actually selffound) I'm wearing atm:

Atziri's Mirror is a pretty nice "stepping stone" (to a better one or dualwielding hyaon's) with its high int bonus and 30% to all resists.
I bought the belt and helmet for a couple chaos, sword and boots for 1 chaos each, the rest is selffound stuff. Tabula is super-easy to obtain via Humility.

Current tree and my shitty jewels
Click me
Working on getting to around 4.5k life via life wheel, then will finish acro, then will probably add the 4% AoE nodes at Scion.

My char (84)
Spoiler

Sweet 5400 life. :)

Items:

Finally got life everywhere.
Still needs improvements, but a 6L real chest will have to wait. I'll never have those Exalts. ;)

Skilltree
Click me
I grabbed another jewel slot and bought a couple jewels.
"8% sword attack speed, 7% life, 3-4% reduced mana cost" seems to be quite popular and cheap. I'm fine with that.

3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Last edited by Peterlerock on Sep 7, 2015, 6:33:21 AM
Levelling guide
Spoiler
Start with the mana nodes, head for the big life node. life gain on kill and your first jewel socket for "survival secrets" in A2N. No more mana issues, yeah!
19 points
Be sure to wear gear with addtional str, dex and int, you'll need this as a Scion.

Then head towards Shadow.
37 points
I took the +30 Int node to be able to use blue gems.
I took the two physical damage notables at Shadow to get some damage with 1 alch levelling weapons. We'll get rid of that at Lvl 62.

Use Cleave/Reave + Melee physical damage + faster attacks + multistrike till Lvl 62 (Hyaon's).
Then swap physical damage for elemental damage and equip Hyaon.

72 points
Finished all the pathing, took the aura nodes because I was already running Wrath+Clarity+HoT. Took another +30 Int notable for the blue gems.

82 points
Took all the interesting stuff at Templar and respecced the melee physical damage at Shadow since I'm wearing Hyaon's Fury now.

102 points
Acro, Phase Acro, and I got rid of the +30 int nodes. Started to take all the remaining life nodes and sockets.

Further options (bold is what I did so far):
Another jewel socket at Templar (2 points)
Life and Chaos resist in the upper left (2 points)
Life and elemental resist at lower left (3 points)
All sorts of elemental damage (Celestial Punishment%&Judgement) at Templar (5-6 points)

Alternative: Armor instead of Acrobatics
Spoiler
We save 13 skillpoints if we stop at the frenzy charge at Duelist (16 if we also skip the frenzy charge).

You can spend these 13 points in Marauder for Life, Life regen and Armor:
102 points
Wear armor items (or hybrid for blue sockets) instead of Evasion.

Luxury Items to go for:
Spoiler

This stuff improves the build by a lot, but it obviously is a bit expensive for a casual (except for vaal grace, I've just been too lazy to buy one).
These are the items to save up for when all the rest is done.

Lightning Coil: the best defensive torso in the game, especially for an acrobatics build, and it even has flat lightning damage on it.
Not only does it cost a fortune, it also requires more expensive other gear to make up for the negative lightning resist.

Doryani's belt: This belt is nice for any lightning build. But I'd rather use a life+WED+resist rare.

Doryani's Sceptre: nice stat stick for "fake" dualwielding ( you'll not attack with this weapon, but gain the elemental leech and damage). Again, no life and resists. You can't use all of these items without super-expensive rest-items.

Double Curse: This ring or an Amulet with additional curse corruption to get more damage in via elemental weakness, you can also take double curses @6 skillpoints in the tree (I prefer 6 life nodes, however).

Elreons Jewelry: to further lower the mana cost and drop the Survival jewel or Clarity

Thunderfist: Damagewise, this item is about as good as a well-rolled rare, but lacks life and resists. The added lightning gem is nice (can see what I linked there), but not obligatory. What really makes this item shine is the "100% increased shock duration".

Gameplay Guide
Spoiler

0. Activate Auras.
1. Whirl around till you find monsters.
2. Whirl through monsters to gain the fortify bonus.
3. Cleave/Reave them.
4. HoT activates on your first shock.
5. Cleave some more, now with additional damage.
6. Whirl around some more.

I use Whirling blades quite often in combat to reposition, something you have to get used to.
Against most monsters you can just facetank, but a some of them hit super-hard, and it is better to kite them.
Good bosses to practice kiting are the bosses in the mountain ledge, strand and vaal pyramid (slow melee dudes). ;)

Get used to your flasks, this build relies heavily on life flasks and their mods.
The "65 life on kill" and 5%+ life regen are ok for most combat damage, but in certain situations it's just not enough.

That's why I also do not recommend "levelling builds", you have to get used to your char, watch him grow and learn his strengths and weaknesses. Best way to do it is by playing him from 1 to 80+ with his dedicated playstyle, not "I level with Flame Totem till 80 and then swap to some GG gear".

Map mods
Spoiler

Elemental Reflect:
You can handle it, but it's better not to bother with it.
If you really want to, bring a second topaz flask and swap Wrath for Purity of Lightning.

Blood Magic:
Kills Auras (about 33% of your damage).

Less regen:
That's fine. Scion starts bitching about Mana a little bit, but it's ok.

Monsters have Lightning Resist/Elemental Equilibrium:
Doesn't matter. Doesn't even slow me down.

Dangerous stuff
Extra damage, minus max resists, extra crit, double bosses, cursed with xyz...
I can take a lot of this stuff when playing concentrated, kiting around etc.
You'll have to figure out yourself how much you can handle.

Annoying mods
Temporal Chains, Ice ground, Fracture etc.
No different than other builds. You can do it, but it's just a pain in the ass. ;)
Last edited by Peterlerock on Sep 7, 2015, 6:53:23 AM
You definitely scammed that guy. Awesome belt :P

As for your tree, it's perfect. What I do think you can do is use BM gem. I know you hate it, but it would totally get rid of all your mana issues, and if could get an alpha's or whatever mana reservation, use all the elemental auras/heralds, maybe in endgame use dreamfeather dw with hyaon's, get some nice evasion, right next to you in the skill tree.

What might really increase you dps are mantra of flames and static electricity(in the socket b/w scion and shadow).
For try, for see, and for know.

This is a buff
Thx for checking it out.
The pathing feels so weird, especially around templar/RT, and I have to dodge so many nice nodes, but I really want the stuff I took in the tree and found no other way.

"
Etherfire wrote:

What I do think you can do is use BM gem. I know you hate it, but it would totally get rid of all your mana issues

It's not that I "hate it", I use it a lot, I just like all 5 support gems in my attack more than BM... And I would need to rearrange my other links as well (Whirling and Warp would also need BM gems).
I'll rather try to get some elreon jewelry so I can drop clarity, reduce its level or free the jewel slot.

"
and if could get an alpha's or whatever mana reservation, use all the elemental auras/heralds, maybe in endgame use dreamfeather dw with hyaon's, get some nice evasion, right next to you in the skill tree.

I have all the lightning damage auras. I don't really want the other elements. I like my damage display the way it is (something like "1-30 physical, 100-6000 lightning damage per hit"), I've even carefully avoided items with flat fire and cold damage. ;)
I could probably tolerate Herald of Ice, since Ice and Lightning do have similar color effects, but not for the price of blood magic (seems like a zero gain trade, 6L->5L, 2->3 auras).

"

What might really increase you dps are mantra of flames and static electricity(in the socket b/w scion and shadow).

Static electricity is only +1-62 lightning damage in my tree, unfortunatly (60 dex in radius).
I've swapped knockback for added lightning damage (currently 13-253) in my 6L to get a rough estimate, it's 300% better than this jewel, and still it doesn't do all to much (like +1000 dps?).
I think I can find more meaningful jewels in the long run.
Mantra of Flames again ruins the theme. I don't wanna see fire animations when I hit. ;)
Added a screenshot and more text. Will add more once I get into "serious levels" (is 80 enough to be considered a guide?).

Spoiler
Last edited by Peterlerock on Aug 12, 2015, 6:45:43 AM
And Level 78...

Stats:
Spoiler

+1000 life, a bit more damage.

I made a couple cheap purchases (1-3 chaos each) to get liferolls everywhere and drop atziris mirror.
I wanted to use a second Hyaon's, but over night, prices have climbed to 1Ex+. Hmmm. How? Why? Is my guide so popular? Is there anybody else using that thing? ;)

Current tree (my gems still suck, but browsing and buying gems sucks as well)
One more life node, then:
*AoE nodes
*Phase Acro
*Jewel socket at Templar

Gear

I'm tanky enough now that I don't die to random melee monsters, so I dropped knockback for lightning penetration for faster map clearing.

I also played one level with
Cleave
+multistrike
+WED
+lightning pen/inc AoE
+cast on melee kill
+arc
The clearspeed was actually quite nice.
Though the setup I'm currently using is just better, ofc.

Also: finally a supporter. Spent some points to make my scion look sexy.
Best Microtransaction effect: gore footprints on gore footprint boots. ;)
Everybody should use this shield skin transfer, looks pretty wicked. :)
Last edited by Peterlerock on Aug 15, 2015, 4:13:54 AM
The reason hyaon's fury skyrocketed in price is because Mathil recently made a new ele cyclone build that used dual hyaon's transitioning into only one hyaaon's so yeah...

Definitely not as budget as before. Mathil did it again!! First with Alpha's and now with the sword.

I figured it was a) some streamer making it publicly known or b) some flipping assholes buying and repricing all Hyaon's on the market.

Got 88 yesterday.

I found enough currency to buy me a cheap "real" 6L:

After a couple Alchs and Scours, I settled for this (cold wasn't overcapped as high as the others, and chaos resist is always nice).

Tabula ->
;)

Now I hope for one of the nicer unique torsos (Carcass, Coil, Belly?) to drop, then I'll 6link one of those. I'll probably not get the exa needed to buy (I don't really trade), and even if I would, I don't want to spend them. ;)
This will take a couple weeks however (14800 fusings missing atm ^^).

Skilltree:
Click me
I got rid of two health nodes to get the two "celestial" notables.
Will get them back in the next two levels.

Still around 5.5k health, around 20k hideout DpS (40k if I swap AoE and Lightning Pen for Conc Effect and added lightning, but that's not half as good). That's +4-5k DpS since the last screenshot. This "celestial" cluster is pretty good.

The number "20k" may sound low, but the clearspeed is fantastic, regular monsters in 76 maps and below die within one multistrike.

Last edited by Peterlerock on Aug 23, 2015, 8:56:14 AM
So many views, no comments?
Weird forums.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info