[2.0][Tempest] Critical Ice Storm CI Witch! Sapler's budget build!

This build/guide is still pretty rough, please give some feedback on anything

EDIT: I died! It was a very fun build but it died to lightning thorns in promanade boss, durring an insane 1 hour session of 20 rogue exiles. I don't know if I will continue and make a new one. I will atleast update the last stats i got with the build.

Hello, this is my version of a build based around the The Whispering Ice unique staff that introduces the new skill Ice Storm! I am currently focused around CI and crit making this a CI Crit Ice storm build.

Many parts of this build is also kind of a story build around how I got gear that worked with the build as I started pretty much from scratch after I obtained the staff. If you don't want a story behind everyting just look at the items and stats or whatever you want.

At this moment I will just post my Tree, Current and Planned forward.

--------------------Skill tree----------------------

Current

Planned forward
http://poeurl.com/zsZFEac

Bandits are Mana - Skill - Power Charge
Mana was kinda silly but I wanted a bigger mana pool for stronger regen.

If you think im wrong in anything being math or how my builds is made, please give feedback.

--------------------Stats---------------------------
Spoiler

Offensive Stats
Spoiler

Defensive Stats
Spoiler

Skill Description
Spoiler

This is my stats before and when I died, with 4 power charges up and running. I had a total of 55k dps if every hit of Icestorm hit the target! If the dps was focused over a 4 second period it would reach up to 200k dps, IF my math is correct.. ;D If not please correct me.

--------------------Gear--------------------------- WARNING, ALOT OF STORY TIME!
Spoiler
Ok now we come to gear! And yes many of you might know of the "Most int every! Perandus signets! Black sun crest! Astramentis!"

Well my item build is a bit different. After I bought the whispering ice.. I was so broke that I didn't know what to do yet.. CI, life, hybrid? until I found a couple of fairly cheap pure ES pieces that was fitting into the idea of CI witch.

I rerolled with nothing other than the staff, and came out big! my build became viable at 10c spendt and is now next to optimal 1.5ex later.

Staff ala Ice Storm aka the reason you are here!
EDIT: Now that my build has been in action I manage to scrape by with some currency and 6s it with Vorici! and with 1 divine orb I ended up from lowest rolls to highest rolls :)
Early on I found a exalted orb on my templar as I was leveling.. Back then day 2-3 when I hit level 70 I saw someone selling a whispering ice without a price.. The staff being 2ex back then I offered something more of 1.8ex to the person listing the item he accepted it and with that I was completely broke! after I jewel spammed it until I got maximum sockets!
Spoiler

You might notice it by now.. Maximum sockets? 5 sockets? What do you mean? Well.. As you might guess one of the reasons I might have gotten it as cheap as I did was the itemlevel of 42.. bearly being able to 5s.. It might seem a bit lacking in that case. I still do not regret it! as my build works and is fun! :)

Head
This head piece was the first item I bought very early for 2c.
Spoiler

This headpiece I got traded to me for 3c! Is this real life?!
Spoiler

Body armour
I bought multiple chest pieces, getting small upgrades, the first one is the first one I used bought for 2c, the second one is my current one that i bought for 1ex, being my second most expensive item in my build.
First chest 2c
Spoiler

Current chest 1ex
Spoiler

Gloves
My first set of gloves I got really lucky with, getting them for 1alch that even I could not understand how it could be so cheap, my second pair costing me 3c Wasnt much more of an upgrade, but more of a cleaner version of what I had with more options (Open craft for res, dex or flat ES)
First Gloves 1alch
Spoiler

Current Gloves 3c
Spoiler

Belt
Belt is kinda silly, as I was searching the web for pointers and ideas on how to build a Ice storm build I saw this belt mentioned. I looked neat and as a lvling belt it looked like it would be quite handy, I didn't know before later that it would have a bigger impact on the build than I thought.
Spoiler

Boots
Boots has a similar story to the gloves, the first pair I got for 1c which in my opinion was pretty crazy for some solid boots due to my budget. Second pair was just around the 2-3c mark as its very much the same, yet cleaner and higher stats of what I needed. (yes INT)
First pair 1c
Spoiler

current pair 3c
Spoiler

Jewelry
Jewellery was just stupid, and my friends agreed to that.. Why? you might ask.. Well lets just say that ive never been this lucky when buying jewellery pieces every since I started playing back in Closed beta..

First I'm just gonna link my first rings and amulet, they alone worked very nice! In my transition to CI at lv60 Even the neck still holds up pretty nice to be a "Astramentis" wannabe..
Spoiler

Now comes the spooky stuff.. The jewerly I just could not understand that I got my hands on with my budget.. Keep in mind I was looking for upgrades at the time and I had a total of 10c over a period in hope of ONE upgrade.

Ring nr1
This one is pretty decent in it self gicing an amazing 61 fire res! high int, es and the big hero high STR!.. the price for this one was 3c!
Spoiler

Ring nr2 "my baby"
This ring I waited for sooo long.. I saw it on poe.trade with already a buyout price, since I could not beleave my own eyes, when I saw the buyout price of 2c!? and verified?! Ofcourse the guy was not online or else it would have been gone ages ago. When I saw him coming online I rushed over and snatched it.
Spoiler

Amulet ala Astramentis?
My first amulet as mentioned allready had pretty good stats, adding up to 64 int! I thought this was the best I could get before getting a Astramentis and I was happy.. As I have been playing this character I keep checking every item slot on poe.trade to see if I can "snipe" some deals and then I found this!
Spoiler

The amulet total gives the high amount of 88 int! I was so amazed I almost didn't see the amazing flat ES and fire res. Ofourse go ahead argue with "Astramentis can have 20 more int" but keep in mind this almost hit a low rolled astramentis on the spot.. and instead of 2-3ex? it was 3c!

Flasks
Freeze immune Sapphire for reflect, Granite of staunching, Granite of Warding, Quicksilver of... nvm and a mana flask I don't use anymore since my mana pool and regen got better... I do plan to change it with a Atziri's promise when I can afford the luxury.
Spoiler

--------------------GEMS!-------------------------
Yes I do only have a 5s The Whispering ice! But that does not mean i don't do damage ;) these are the gem setups I use right now.

Gem links

Spoiler
Staff
Conc effect - Spell echo - Life leech - Cold penetration - Hypothermia
I have added the latest socket! So im currently running Faster Casting, Added cold/light is allso possible

Head/Auras
Clarity - Discipline - Herald of Ice - Vaal Dicipline <-> (THIS IS IMPORTANT LATER)
Clarity to have some sort of mana sustain, this skill gets expensive as fudge to cast..
Herald of Ice.. becuse why not?
Discipline to get that extra ES boost
Now there are options like Artic armor and Purity of Ice for reflect.. So far a Sapphire pot have been enough as I notice the reflect before it ends me.

Gloves.. Work in progress
Its a pretty simple idea
Ice spear, gmp, power charge on crit, spell echo
Your average "please gimmie power charges" setup.. It works but personally I have been to lazy to use it.

Boots/Curses
Frostbite - Enfeeble/Temp chains - Faster casting - Increase area of effect
Just a simple curse setup.. Frost bite for dmg, the other if the situation is a bit nasty..
I might go towards dual curse at one point but right now its a single curse setup for mostly solo play.

Chest
One of the items you can have the most links on!
Flamedash - faster casting...........
Well.. yeah.. I have no excuse for this one

Jewels
Jewels have been a blessing and a pain in the ass.. The ass part is mostly my own fault and bad planning but oh well xD

So in my skill tree I managed to pick up 5 jewel sockets, i could go reach for a quick 6th close to potency of will.

Spoiler
The health potion

This is one of the big jewels I found in other Ice storm builds so I can't take full credit for this one.. But even so! It's amazing in this build.. why? Vaal Discipline
You throw a ice storm, you crit, you freeze, you shatter, you get twice the amount of Vaal souls, Vaal Discipline is instantly fully charged. This is one of the things that I feel makes CI fully viable in this build. I am getting a Vaal Haste and it would work the same way.. Alot of haste..

NOW the Bated Breath belt! Being that Vaal Dicsipline Recharges are not delayed by taking damage the 50% increased recharge rate is a huge boost of survivability when used. 800-1000 energy shield per second

int, Int? INT!

Looking at beta builds, people were using this "Wisdom of a path not taken" which ofcourse was completely broken.. But its brother Fertile mind has one spot that works very well! the jewel slot on the way to Vaal pact. Placing this there being the only "non pure int path" gives a total of 74int which is amazing :)

Current Rare jewels

These jewels have reasons like attributes, resists and trying to squeeze in damage. You can get alot better than these and I do have some. This still needs work

Better Jewels

These are my "better jewels" that I can't use due to attribute limitations or missing resists. You get the gist
- Sapler - www.Sapler.no - youtube.com/sapler - twitch.tv/Sapler -
Last edited by Sapler on Jul 22, 2015, 6:17:01 PM
Hello :)

Looking at your skill-tree I would suggest taking out the AoE nodes for the same reason as with Fire Storm: a greater AoE range could cause monsters to get hit considerably less than with a smaler one, thus doing less damage.
If you want a bit of an inbetween, then you could try using a Carcass Jack as a chest armor but I don't exacly know how the lack of Int on the chest would influence your DPS.

Also I would recommend to get rid of the two 6% Spell Damage and the Jewel slot right next to the Scion start. It just feels not being worth it (e.g. the Witch start does give way more % Spell Damage)

Instead I'd take the Arcane Potency node for more Spell Crit Chance & Multi.
Or the Charisma node just below Vaal Packt for better utilizing your auras, + using the remaining points for % Spell Damage at the Witch start.
"
kuramot0 wrote:
Hello :)

Looking at your skill-tree I would suggest taking out the AoE nodes for the same reason as with Fire Storm: a greater AoE range could cause monsters to get hit considerably less than with a smaler one, thus doing less damage.
If you want a bit of an inbetween, then you could try using a Carcass Jack as a chest armor but I don't exacly know how the lack of Int on the chest would influence your DPS.

Also I would recommend to get rid of the two 6% Spell Damage and the Jewel slot right next to the Scion start. It just feels not being worth it (e.g. the Witch start does give way more % Spell Damage)

Instead I'd take the Arcane Potency node for more Spell Crit Chance & Multi.
Or the Charisma node just below Vaal Packt for better utilizing your auras, + using the remaining points for % Spell Damage at the Witch start.

Thanks for the feedback, I have the aoe for clear speed reasons, so far It clears packs in one cast making the AoE pretty nice I understand the "firestorm logic" and that it can be a dmg increase.

I cant run Carcass jack due to not even CLOSE to enough ES for a hardcore CI build.. Otherwise i would use it.

Jewels are much stronger than you might think.. I just have horrible jewels myself.. You can get double crit jewels and what not when you have everything else sorted out. In the end it wont be a waste.. I am however working on something towards the witch start from some other feedback i got from reddit.. (maaan those people are harsh)
When it comes down to Arcane potency I have thought of maybe going dual curse where picking up that could be a nice addition, yet again great feedback and i will be polishing the skill tree.

Right now my auras seems to be a good place, I dont have mana problems, dmg wise i dont think it would make a big diffrence. Getting the reduce reservation would mess my up if i were to run a 4 arua would kill my mana pool.

overall great feedback! I will rethink some pathing becuse of it, thank you!
video?
IGN: NoMerCyy / __DryZzy__
"
Nova666 wrote:
video?

I just made the build yesterday very on the spot, I might make a video or too, anything you want to see?
I made some changes to your skill tree that I might try out, let me know what you think: http://poeurl.com/zs6ZgYF

For curses/power charges, you could do some cool stuff with a 5/6 link chest. Something like Cwdt + Ball lightning + GMP + Curse On Hit + Assassin's Mark. Swap to Enfeeble + Power charge on crit with a 6L. You can also do CWDT + AoE spell + Curse on hit/Power Charge on Crit + Curse for a 4L.
Last edited by bladesofwill on Jul 20, 2015, 12:21:16 AM
"
bladesofwill wrote:
I made some changes to your skill tree that I might try out, let me know what you think: http://poeurl.com/zs6ZgYF

For curses/power charges, you could do some cool stuff with a 5/6 link chest. Something like Cwdt + Ball lightning + GMP + Curse On Hit + Assassin's Mark. Swap to Enfeeble + Power charge on crit with a 6L. You can also do CWDT + AoE spell + Curse on hit/Power Charge on Crit + Curse for a 4L.

I see the changes and i understand what you are going for, i have had something similar in my own thoughts my only gripe is the removal of all the "jewel" sockets, being that they can cover up 3-4 nodes by themselves and be great gear enablers on the go.

Changes like the potency of will close to the scion is something ive considered to remove aswell going a bit more in the same direction of the templar. I would pick up more power charges as i still am trying to figure out how to get them, so your idea is a good one if i get that 5l.

I am currently running a ice spear - gmp - power charge on crit - cwdt setup and will be seeing how that works.
UPDATE!

-Finaly got my staff fixed :) Socket and stat wise

-New helmet that I got for an amazing price

-Some polish here and there to the build due to these changes

Anything out of place or any questions! Just ask away!

EDIT:
Added the second ring, my "baby" xD it didnt get added correctly, thanks to DancesWithLupus
Last edited by Sapler on Jul 20, 2015, 6:48:35 PM
"
Sapler wrote:
"
bladesofwill wrote:

I see the changes and i understand what you are going for, i have had something similar in my own thoughts my only gripe is the removal of all the "jewel" sockets, being that they can cover up 3-4 nodes by themselves and be great gear enablers on the go.

Changes like the potency of will close to the scion is something ive considered to remove aswell going a bit more in the same direction of the templar. I would pick up more power charges as i still am trying to figure out how to get them, so your idea is a good one if i get that 5l.

I am currently running a ice spear - gmp - power charge on crit - cwdt setup and will be seeing how that works.

I see what you mean about the jewel sockets. I think we could take the one near the Scion spell damage and the one near Celestial Judgement for Wisdom of the Path Not Taken. I'm not sure what to give up for it though.
I died to lightning thorns boss in promenade map. Its my fault entirely not paying attention. RIP. It was a very fun build, but I dont know if I wanna go the same thing again instantly.

EDIT: Updates stats! Build should be up to date to the point where i died!

If there is anything you are wondering about go ahead an ask!
Last edited by Sapler on Jul 21, 2015, 12:11:09 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info