"The Icicle" - Epic freeze lock cold snap build!

This build takes advantage of Cold snap's high damage, while bypassing the cold down time with power charges, I do this by using Romira's Banquet which makes so every time you don't crit, you gain a power charge, with the down side of when you do crit you loose all your power charges. and then I take the "Resolute Technique" keystone Which makes me never crit. The resault is every time I hit an enemy, i gain a power charge. This allows me to use cold snap constantly. This is a good build for if you want a powerfull build able to take on pretty high level content such as lvl 75 and 76 maps, or 77's and 78's with a party. At level 86 and with lvl 19 gems, I acheive about 10k dps with iAOE, and 16k dps with Conc. effect, and my only expensive item is a 5L Taryn's shiver, for which I payed 2 ex. (And Alpha's howl if you count that as expensive)

Auras

-Clarity (To support the very high mana cost of cold snap)
-Herald of ice (For obvious reasons)
-Purity of ice (To deal with reflect, Not just to fit the theme of "The icicle" I also strongly recoment using a saffire flask because If you use it you become pretty much immune to reflect. The aura is a back up for if you don't see a reflect pack.)
-Arctic armour (Also not to fit "The Icicle" theme, I use arctic armour because I already need a ton of mana regen just to support cold snap, I am currently using a level 19 arctic armour and use lightning warp to move because walking drains my mana too much, however I do not mind lightning warping instead of walking and If you would prefur walking I'm sure you could still get a decently high level arctic armour while remaing able to walk around)

Gear

Here is my curent gear at level 86:

Gem links

Cold snap - Conc. effect - spell echo - cold pen - life leech

frostbite - increased AOE - arctic armour

Cats when damage taken - Enduring cry - decoy totem (For most characters a decoy totem on a cwdt trigger gem is pointless as it only can take a hit or maybe two, however for this character, one or maybe two hits is all that the enemies will be able to get in, and it's nice to be directed to something other than you (And no I will never get over "Cats when damage taken"))

Lightning warp - faster casting - reduced duration

Purity of ice - Herald of ice - Clarity - reduced mana

Hardcore

I'm afraid that this build would probably not the ideal for hc. I currently have a life pool of 3,473 which is actually okay for sc, as I rarely get hit because generally the entire screen is frozen, however I can imagine some large problems with that life pool and my other deffence options in hc.

Atziri

I have not taken on atziri, because unfortunatly I can't imagine this build beating atziri because of one highly inconvienent modifier that atziri posseses: "Cannot be frozen"

If you enjoyed reading this build, want clarification on anything, want to try to recreate it, or have something you think could be changed to increase it's power, feel free to either PM me on the site, ingame at ShiveryQ, or of course leave a comment here. If you enjoyed this and want to see another build I made that is a bit more expensive but both atziri viable and hc viable, you can find that here: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1202907/page/1 (The build guide is also fancier)

Thanks for reading!
I am a shadow. I was born the youngest daughter of a respected family, raised to fight, weep and bleed for God and the Order. I would have died to keep my mouth shut. Professional integrity, it's called. That lord sang a different tune once I had taken their children.
Last edited by jugglereli on Jun 10, 2015, 2:18:29 AM
Nice man!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info