I Came in like a Wrecking Ball [1.3 Leap Slam OHKO Build]

Alrighty So This build is about damage. Specifically one shot damage. The biggest one hit which then proliffs to the surrounding pack. I first asked myself what weapon in the game has the biggest one hit which was an easy answer

This is the mace with which we shall crush our enemies. Onto gem setups!

Gem setup:
Spoiler

Currently only have a 5 link so missing the added fire damage gem. every gem here is a "more damage" (extra damage is a 'more' not 'increased') gem to give that hit its biggest power. Gems are ordered from highest to lowest damage given however physical to lightning and weapon elemental damage must be used together. If you only have a 4 link them added fire is better then either individually but together they give more damage then an added fire gem would.

Next we have our heavily supported Herald of ash. This is to deal with the surrounding mobs that stubbonly refuse to die from our slam. The burn and proliff will annihilate the mobs around. Put this in the Marohi Erqi maul 4 link to gain a level 15 AOE gem for that extra range.

In an ideal world with 6 link chest and Maul you want put Herald of ash in the chest with a real 20/20 increased AOE gem but this is much more budget.

More damage yay! big boost to your hit

Here is the rest. Totally optional and you can move them around and drop them as you gain/lose the right links and colours. Ideal would be vengence with all damage supports and selfcast curse but I'm lazy and can usually not be bothered. It'll trigger on bosses which is all its for.

DAMAGE
Spoiler

Keeping in mind that my gems are around level 17 and that I'm level 74 so still have much more damage to get in the tree and from the gems

Tooltop DPS: 15.5k
However since attack speed is more then 1 second the actual hit currently does 14559-22625

The burn also has an increased burning damage attached as well as herald of ash giving bonus damage so the burn is often as powerful as the main hit even though only the overkill damage gets proliferated.

Video
Spoiler

Sorry about the short video and the choppyness of it. Apparently my computer is having trouble doing multiple things at the moment. Well its just here for proof of concept I know people like to see that it can work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf7nmXluDmk

Equipment
Spoiler

Here is the maul that will make it all happen, you can usually pick one up for under an exalt too

I happened to have a belly around but any life/resistance chest works well. I plan to swap to an armour or armour/energy shield when I get a 6 link. Those will be easier to colour too.

And the rest. As you can see my gear is currently pretty bad and upgrades in all these slots are to come. Life and resistance on everything is what you need. A rustic sash belt will improve your DPS quite well too

Passive tree & Bandit quest rewards:
Spoiler

Bandits:

Normal, Oak (+40 HP)
Cruel, Oak (18% Physical Damage)
Merciless, Kill all or Oak (Passive point or +1 Endurance Charge)

Final 110 point tree
Spoiler

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgEA9kg9_FhjxtiMz18_Mft_41BH5FHvDhQgOQ4Jlpd56wmFUq2N2WF2rM9-fNn3MuoYnsU7O3dTUeZBPyE0tC-GOxT2Op0kiz0PxPb-VA3NK1Aczny77DiCm-98PAWaO8Bmn9_wH6IABLNo8pZ0fEsaOJBVJy_AGti9_gq3PsauPC2mVzrh8kVN4_6PNZJ7jP_Ta9lxhXflV-LtIHZ_nldqpf0wiI8a5HKpVylG14TEn8unMJ7N5K0B5xnpYMRgkcQVGJG8n_xLFE1XDdIhffU0jpSH37KCB_JBMZ5nWA==

Focused tree with the essentials/best stuff
Spoiler

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgEA9kg9_FhjxtiMz18_Mft_41BH5FHvDhQgOQ4Jlpd56wmFUq2N2WF2rM9-fNn3MuoYnsU7O3dTUeZBPyE0tC-GOxT2Op0kiz0PxPb-VA3NK1Aczny77DiCm-98PAWaO8Bmn9_wH6IABLNo8pZ0fEsaOJBVJy_Yvf4Ktz7Grjwtplc64fJFe4x35Vfi7SBqpf0wiI8a5HKpn8unMJ7N5K0B5xnpYMRgkcQVGJG8n_xLFE1XDdIhffWCB_JBMZ4=

I'm quite happy with the tree. Its so focused and condensed, There is a max of 2 'travel' nodes between clusters and it grabs more notables then any build I've made before. very tanky, very good damage.

Leveling
Spoiler

I recommend leveling as a ground slam or static strike until you get herald of ash and its supports then you can swap into infernal blow, heavy strike, static strike leap slam, really anything you want.

Run Ash, Proliff, Increased burning damage and increased AOE gem, since you're not running Hatred yet you should have plenty of mana.

Take the life nodes from the bottom of the Maruader and beeline towards Resolute technique. This makes leveling as a two hander much easier.

Next go up and take all the reduced mana nodes, these will help you sustain that mana cost as you can add more support gems to your main attack. Eldron -mana cost of skills rings are great for any character while leveling if you have them. From there I grab the AOE nodes for quality of life and the rest of the build is just life and damage, take whichever you feel like you need more at the time.

Once you get the maul at level 57 you should have two high level reduced mana gems as well and can transition into running ash and hatred

Mana
Spoiler

This build only does 25% physical damage so mana leech is less effective, also its nice being able to leap slam around without needing to hit thing. Unlike most builds this build does not get attack speed out the wazoo so its consumption is much lower then normal. getting the reduced mana nodes in the tree as well as a bit of mana regen on gear and you'll be fine. Also for some reason the quality bonus on conc effect support gem is reduced mana so a 20% quality one of them greatly reduces that issue. I currently have 70% mana regen on my gear to easily sustain the 5 link, you could grab more reduced mana in the tree or a mana leech ring if you have having trouble.

Why Leap Slam?
Spoiler

When I started this build was going to be infernal blow/avatar of fire but Marohi Erqi is soo slow, I tried a couple of other options before landing on leap slam. It damage is not that much lower then the other skills, it allows your entrance into the fight also be the end of it which avoids the frustration of waiting for that mace to finish swinging but best of all leap slam has its own base attack speed which is higher then the Maul so it will automatically be faster then any other skill using the same supports.

Flasks
Spoiler

You're a health character so make yourself a panic flask (insta heal) get freeze immunity, also bleed immunity there is more but I usually make flasks as I need them and this character hasn't needed much yet.

Hope you enjoyed reading my build.

-WaffleT
Last edited by WaffleT on Mar 22, 2015, 10:58:30 PM
Nice build, seems fun and quite effective ! also manly as hell :p
Been running this build in the one month and been going well :)

currently level 73 and its pretty smooth, worse in parties as it is best one shotting things then the tankier mobs
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1185120

I use faster attacks, and i prefer having proper single-target skill for bosses over 5-6L HoA.
I love this build!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info