One-hand Axe Static Strike (Armor + Block)

Hello Folks,

So this is very much a run-of-the-mill Static strike build with some Little tricks thrown in for good measure. I feel that it achieves a good Balance between Damage, Survivability and Clear Speed. probably most suited for Softcore leagues.

I think this build is great as it can be made cheaply or self found. However with Good gear this build is capable of Clearing resonably difficult level 77 and 78 maps effectivly. With an Investment of 5-8 exalts.

Aims of the build
This was My first build in Torment and after the significant alterations to the game as a result of the so called "Path of Nerfs" patch at the beggining of torment I heard a lot of complaints about how block and melee were no longer viable, so naturally I choose to make a block focused melee character

Passive tree

Not much too it really leveling is Very Straight Forward. You can use static strike to level and you can Approach the skill tree in any way you see fit. There is no wrong way to go.

Spoiler
50 Point build

Spoiler
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgEAe4yExHZ_fuCeV-RR7w5QRxQgXz8oKpd5m2qLTxo-eTl-4p7N6dWnMPKc975ulxRNAecYkbyf_EuE72EhGlVkozbowYJNRmLsBS1673TtYEspLny4Vw3xrJHO-Ou77eoY9zJ82Q==

80 Point Build
Spoiler
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgEAe4yExHZ_fuCeV-RR7w5QRxQgXz8oKpd5m2qLTxo-eTl-4p7N6dWnMPKc975ulxRNAecYkbyf_EuE72EhGlVkozbowYJNRmLsBS1673TtYEspLny4Vw3xrJHO-Ou77eoY9zJ82cAaWfOsqnKpsULzEXGFRtdXKZBVGjiCm-w4Jy_vfDwFmjvAZp_fogAEs2jy8B-E2S_MvqdlTb02R34S4Q==

110 Point tree
Spoiler
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgEAfuCExHuMdn-eV-RR7w5QR18_FCCLTygql3lXDfGsKS58uBo-fuJ5OenVns2nMPKc975ulxRNAecYkbyf_EukGbYsJd8b-jpSkc7467vt9zLqGHzZWfOsqnKpsULzEXGFwBpG11cpkFUaOIKb7DgnL-98PAWaO8Bmn9-iAASz8B9o8oTvYSEaVWSjNugFLXrvdO1gS6yvDPeplcC_QKBeEzJOG5ePmQSHwYJNRmLsvTZHfoTZL8y-p2VNE8n-a65QZacTTCb4F-FOMsGjWf4wd-JhZFIt0p8-n8sS4Q==

Offence- How I kill Stuff
Spoiler

Pretty Straight Forward Physical build Using Auras to scale ele damage from physical. With a number of Little tricks to amplify damage.

Damage
-This build deals a combination of Physical and Elemental damage, We use a Physical 1h-Axe. And then scale Elemental damage from Physical damage using Hatred, Herald of Ash, and Added Fire damage(if you have a 6l)5L 50% Physical added as elemental, 6L 90% Physical added as elemental.

-The build Also uses a combination of Celestial Punishment Keystone and the Gang's Momentum Boots to gain 40% More damage agianst enemies effected by a Status ailment. We Link Herald of Ashe to Elemental Proliferation to ensure that our enemies are ignited almost continuously.

-Even though this build uses Resolute Technique we have a 10% Chance to Shock from the skill tree, With High attack Speed most enemies are shocked quite effectivly.

-We also take the "Slaughter" Keystone giving us 10% Chance to gain Onslaught on Kill, Which grants 20% increase to attack Speed and move-speeed

-For Further increases to damage we utilise Vaal Haste and the Atziri's Promise Flask

-We Also use Elemental Weakness. Elemental damage accounts for around 50% of our damage (Not including added fire on a 6L) So ele weakness gives around 25% increased damage

-This means that in the majority of cases we deal around 110% more damage to our enemies.
And in optimal cases with all buffs/de-buffs, flasks and curses active we deal around 190-210% increased damage.

Defence- How I die less

Spoiler

This build Uses a combination of Armor and block as mitigation. With very Little Investment you get a good solid character able to take some hits

Armor
We dont actually Need to Focus too much on Armor from the tree So we only take the nodes on the tree that are on our path anyway. Its pretty easy to get to 50%+ physical damage reduction from gear and with 7 Endurance charges up and the Soul of Steel Passive this build can achieve capped Physical mitigation very easily

Block
-Reasonable block Chance 40-50% depending on shield choice whether you run tempest shield.

-The new "Melee damage when Holding a shield" nodes really add up giving 80% increased melee physical as well as additional attack speed. While increased shield defence nodes gives close to 200% increase armor on your shield

Life
-In this Iteration of the skill tree I only achieve 121% which seems absolutly tiny. However when you factor in Bonus life from Strength and the 30-40% life from Belly of the beast we hit 4k life quite comfortably and 5k is achievable with good gear.

-Belly of the Beast 30-40% life. Best in Slot as far as im concerned. If on a Budget can be swapped out for any chest with good armor/life/resist.

-Life leach is Comes entirely from the tree. even at 3% life leach you should have enough

Unwavering Stance
I was well into lvl 80+ before I took US. With 4.5k life I only really found it usefull for bosses like Necropolis Merviel and Shrine Piety as they can chain stun.

The issue is even if you get stunned the explosions from static strike will continue to go off. This means that if you do get stunned you will continue to deal damage whilst stunned, which means you will continue to leach life. Most of the time you wont even notice small stuns. (Same goes for short Duration freeze)

-Endurance charges, linked to CODT

-Imortal call Self-cast linked to increased duration

Flasks
-2xLife flasks ( Removes Bleeding!!!!!!!!, Armor, Leach, knockback can be good too)
-Atziri Promis( added damage+leach)
-Ele flask ( for Monsters deal +x% ele damage maps)
-Granite (for large packs)

Gearing

The Gear for this build is very Straight Forward. This build can be geared self-found, budget or at the start of a new league. However With medicore gear You will probably wont be able to run higher than lvl 72 maps.
Spoiler

Helm
-Idealy you will want a helm with 500+ armor Life and resists.
Note: you may Need Dex or Int for Gear and gems so consider this when selecting a Helm

-If you feel that you want more damage you can run an Abysuss Helm. Personaly I never found myself wanting for damage

Chest Armor
-Belly of the Beast is best in Slot and the extra life is really good, 5L OR 6l.

-However BotB is not essential, a good rare chest will do fine if you dont have the currency
Again look for Armor, Life and resists on a rare chest

Boots
-Gang's Momentum, Best in Slot IMO effectivly gives 15% increased damage

-For Rare boots Life, resists move-speed. If you can get armor thats well and good but boots typicaly dont have a lot of armor to begin with.

Gloves
-For your gloves you are going to want to look for Life,resists,Attack Speed,Flat Physical and Armor roughly in that order
Note: you may Need Dex or Int for Gear and gems so consider this when selecting gloves

Belt
-Meginords is best in slot IMO. Great increase to DPS and a cool 10% life
(Also can corrupt an additional endurance charge which would be sweet)
-If you can’t get a meginords for whatever reason then I Suggest a Rustic sash with WED, Life and resists

Rings and Amulets
-Life , Resists, Flat Phys and attack speed(rings)
Note: you may Need Dex or Int for Gear and gems so consider this when selecting rings and amulets
Shield
-Unlike other piece of gear Armor is going to be the No.1 priority on your shield. Since your get 200% shield defense from the tree your shield is going to be the main source of your Armor. Aim for over 1300 Armor on a high block base, With life and whatever resists you can get.

Weapon
Pretty simple get as high DPS a 1h-axe that you can find. Also axes are a great place to sneak in some extra Dex on gear

My Gear

Still in the process of up-grading my gear
Spoiler

FAQ

Why Armor?/"Dude, Armor is trash"

Spoiler
-So the reason I went armor over Evasion is three-fold

1. I just wanted to make an Armor character
2. With the flat mitigatino from Endurance charges and Soul of Steel you only Need to reach around 60% mitigation to hit cap
3.An Evasion build would be less point efficant with regards to a number of the Nodes I wanted to utilise. Mainly Slaughter, Celestial Punishment, and the Block/Shield Nodes in the dualist tree.

-The issue with Armor is that the mitigation that Armor gives scales poorly verses the Magnitude of the damage dealt. ie Armor mitigates less damage against big hits.

This is a valid critism of Armor, however there are a number of Point I would like to address.

Most of the big phyiscal hitters , Bone Stalkers, Bears, Golems, Vaal, Whipping miscreations. These are all slow enemies that have slow telegraphed attacks. If you pay Attention you can avoid being hit by These Monsters pretty easily.
Most of the physical damage that you cannot easily avoid typicaly consists of multple smaller hits. Titty bitches, Chimerels, physical ranged Mobs, Archers, Unding aristocrates.

Whats your DPS?

Spoiler
Its a Little tricky to work out.
Based on my understanding of the mechanics of the skill

With my 300 DPS Axe I deal roughly 20k single target tool tip DPS
Most of my damage however is dealt via the Explosion which deals 30% less damage. so around 14kDPS to each target hit

However the vast majority of the time Im dealing 110% damage to enemies (See Offence Segment)
So the explosions actually deal 29.4k DPS to each target hit.

Furthermore, in optimal circumstances I can Deal Bursts of damage 200% higher than the tooltip so the Explosion deals 42k dps to each target.

I would estimate the average DPS to be maybe 33k area DPS given the Ratio of uptime for my flasks and vaal haste.

Why static Strike
Spoiler
Ah cus I wanted to try it out

Also as a skill static strike has a built in AoE meaning that can avoid using melee splash and the relevant damage reduction associated with it.

Is this HardCore viable?
Spoiler
Good Question I build this specifically for softcore.
Personally I dont really die all too often. However if I was going Hardcore I would probably cut out the dualist tree and go for the scion life wheel.

Atziri Viable?
Spoiler
No idea havent tried

Do you have any Videos

Spoiler
unfortunatly my pc cannot run fraps and PoE, maybe when i buy my new desktop

Conclusion
Ok So we all know there is nothing ground breaking about this build. But its a good build for farming maps and building currency. I found the build is fast paced and fun to Play and can do most of the Content in the game.

Thanks for reading and feel free to leave a comment or Suggestion about the build.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info