[WIP] [1.3.1] Freight Train - Rapidly and automatically Discharge all 3 charges! No CoC or Voll's!!

Freight Train - Castless 3 Charge Discharger

Our conductor's insane. Our cargo is pain. Freight Train!

Disclaimer
Attempting this build may seriously damage you and your computer.

Concept video.

Key Ingredients

At least a 5Link

Resolute Technique

Tree

Skill Tree (Templar)

In standard I have a higher level Templar and thats the makeshift tree I'm using to test this. Its Standard so searching for gear in my tabs is a disaster and I threw this together with awful gear/Tabula thats why the tree has a lot of weird acc/dex nodes and resist nodes taken, ideally you would try to get dex from gear and use skill points for more flicker dps. With Phys damage being the utmost priority I've chosen a Maraduer to level from 1 in Torment because the escape from Marauder's start location has more phys nodes. Retribution (near templar start) is the best node perhaps with melee and spell damage combined its worth considering even if starting as Maraduer. With really powerful mace nodes mixed with phys nodes you would want to choose Marauder with Templar being slightly sub-optimal. If you try this with a Duelist or Scion etc. you'll probably lose substantial flicker dps. The skill tree in concept is pretty simple maximizing melee physical damage with the 2H mace.
You're mostly limited to HP/Armor/Resistance/Regen for defenses via the tree and most of the choices are obvious and can be balanced around gear.

Bandits - Oak, Oak, Kraityn or Skill point

Gear

Weapon

Ideally a 2 Handed Staff with

Phys%
Added flat phys
Spell dmg%

Strength
Fire, Cold, and/or Lightning dmg%
Reduced Stun Threshold

More flexibility on the Suffixes, although strength + fire% +cold% would probably be ideal.

Auras - Herald of Ash & Hatred

Flask Options - Doedre's Elixr(s) & Atziri's Promise

Curse(s) - Warlord's Mark -> Poacher's Mark -> Assassin's Mark

Variations?

Full elemental

Hybrid Phys/Spell Damage Dagger

Hegemony's Era

This build revolves around a high damage physical flicker(with no priority of attack speed over phys at all), chained with blood rage. Through Romira's/Resolute Technique, Blood Rage, and Endurance Charge on Melee Stun you are able to achieve all 3 charges whilst flickering though packs. At the time of discharge you can only have 1 Endurance charge but mutiple Power/Frenzy charges depending on the situation. Theres even more synergy going on since Romira's gives phys mana leech and Blood Rage gives phys life leech. With enough phys damage and good pack density your flicker kills will cause a discharge of all three charges, power from romiras as you hit with flickerstrike (you take Resolute Technique from the tree so you'll never lose charges), endurance from the ECoMS gem and high phys, and frenzy from blood rage since you killed a mob with flicker you'll have a frenzy charge also. The beautiful part is if your discharge kills a mob then blood rage gives you a frenzy charge and allows the flicker train to continue and you deliver a cycle of pain.

The main problem, other than elemental reflect of course, is having enough physical damage to kill mobs with a Flicker gem that needs 2 linked supports that add no damage (ECoMS, Discharge). Quality CoMK is essential as it provides increased damage, a quality discharge is also going to be important. The setup I've been testing in standard is with low level gems though, discharge is only Level 10 but its enough to kill mobs after it uses a frenzy charge in the discharge leaving you with leftover frenzy charges to keep the chain of flicker going. The links I've been using for the last few days are Flickerstrike + Multistrike + Melee Phys + CoMK + ECoMS + Discharge, shown in the spoiler. With sub optimal gear and low level gems it shines vs large groups of white mobs, the potential damage might be real with leveled/quality discharge. Since a 2H Staff have very high phys and spell damage they're the logical weapon choice to use. I'm using a 2H Mace until I acquire the right Staff then I will respec. Marohi Erqi or Pillar is also a possibility. Another core fault is you're not going to have fun killing rare+ mobs with your flicker. Flicker would be your AOE skill and you'd most definitely also need a single target/boss kill link somewhere on your gear. Since you're prioritizing high phys, a 4+L molten strike to use vs rare+ mobs would seem ideal. The amount of Dischages that go off lead to some insane lag/desync/videocardcooking and you're flicker chaining its pretty BM to the point of not being viable.

The good parts are that its fun, and visually there's a lot going on. Also you're flicker chaining so you spend large amounts of time simply holding down a button while you move through available mobs. Theres most certainly a large amount of PK potential in a HC league, although I'd certainly not use it for any other reason in a HC league due to the desync. You're using some obscure gems that aren't popular, or they're cheaper usually (CoMK + ECoMS). You're using CoMK also, that alone is a victory.

There's potential uses for any avaiable gem slots. You could have a bunch of 2L with CwDT+EC at different low levels for a boost to your discharge damage. You could link frenzy to nothing or maybe curse on hit, hit a rare a few times curse him and get some frenzy charges before you flicker the mobs around him or just easily gain frenzy charges if thats what you like. Unfortunately frenzy as a single target isnt going to get you as much as MS or HS. The core of this build only requires a 5L so if your phys is high enough and you had a 6L you could add ice nova or firestorm(or anything) to your flicker/comk setup. Having all three charges isn't essential you can 4L Flicker and use just CoMK and Discharge and either acquire endurances charges another way or leave them out of the discharge.

I stumbled this far from a desire to make a whirling blades hero, that led me to look at CoMK/Whirling and eventually Flicker's chain made me want to include that. At one point before I started prioritizing the discharge I had Flicker + CoMK + Multistrike + Ice Nova + Ice Nova + Ice Nova. This was also hilarious and seemed to have potential through the early/mid leveling phase at least. You can add any spell and get some weird combos, as long as your phys damage was good enough for the flicker. I couldn't find anything related to this but it's PoE so I have to assumed somebody or maybe the Simpson's already did this.

I will be updating this as I'm in the process of leveling gems and trying the hero from scratch to see progression.

Buy the ticket, take the ride.
Last edited by p0t on Feb 13, 2015, 5:45:13 AM
Guide now contains content!
Leveling videos added, will be updating.
thats crazy
how does it go versus bosses?

CoMK wouldn't enough against shrine piety to make it worth 2 damage slots

do you change setup?
Let the games begin
Nice build..exactly what im looking for..non-glasscannon discharge boomer...hows boss tanking and how did u solved/set up that single target skill? Alo im interested..in guide ur saying that ideal is staff but u have passive points in mace area ..i would love if this build had effortless late mapping..pls post some info how u progressed.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info