[1.3.x] Reaching 456/103 MF (546/79) starting from 0 in a challenge league (Dual Flame Totem)

Remark : At the time I'm writing this guide we are mid-league in torment/bloodlines and I'll always be thinking as if you were leveling in HC. If you're leveling in soft you may want to spend more points in dps and less in hp nodes. Prices that are referenced depends of course of the league where you are and when (early/mid/late ?)

This guide is totally MF oriented don't hope to map solo ever again with this build unless very high lvl and insane gear.

The main purpose of this build is to farm dominus or do easy maps in party (maelstrom of chaos, plateau with no extra dmg, etc.) and make currency quite easily. I reached a high level of IIR/IIQ starting from 0 and you can reach 430/50 with a 6-8ex investment (it may sound a lot but it's definitively worthwhile)

Pros :

- Lots of currency
- Can just focus and res
- Easy to build and level up
- Lots of friends !!

Cons :

- Never play solo ever again (~ 10k dps shotgun)
- no damage mitigation
- no aura(s)
- no leech, just pots
- you'll become TOO popular !

I created a MF in bloodlines because I always tend to die stupidly, wasting sometimes expensive gear (rip phoenix/belly 6L lvl 80).
The choice of a marauder is because the start is suitable to get easy life/resistance in the tree.

I leveled up my marauder until the level 85 for the challenge (3 lvl 85) and once I got it I just respec to get the necessary resistance in the tree to be res capped.

The leveling

From lvl 1 to 30 I leveled using groundslam/heavy strike (molten strike would probably have been better tho)
I didn't start this build day 1 so it was easy to find cheap leveling weapon (1 fuse each)
Lvling weapons

A bit more expensive, especially for only 4 levels

Bandits
Oak, kill, kill

Getting BM (20 points)

Main problem at the beginning is of course the mana so I wanted to be free as soon as possible (personal choice)
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEADjwUIBRxGj4pLj38Vw1YY18_fLiCB4zPxtjSIdl837_vDvGs8kH2SA==

Getting Ancestral Bond (36 points)

Considering you take the 40hp from Oak at the act 2, you should reach lvl 31 in 36 points.
Lvl 24 you can also equip a searing bond for a non-negligeable extra source of damage
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEADjwUIBRxGS4aOBo-Jy8n7SkuKhM9_FcNWGNY5VnzWitfP2aecql8uIIHkFWj8qyqwBrEWMT2xtjSIdlh2Xzfv-8O8azyQfZI

Once you pick up Ancestral Bond it's time to switch for a wand or a scepter.
My 1st weapon was quite simple : white scepter 20% elem dmg + rare chain belt + whetstone at the vendor for the recipe (you get an easy 50% fire spell dmg + cast speed if you're lucky on the augment)

At this point you may lack of intelligence and/or dexterity ==> buy an amulet or spend 1-2 points in the tree
PS : Quecholli gives you a lot of attributes, pay attention when you level up your gems. You could have a nasty surprise when switching your weapon
4L :

5L :

of course, if you have

it's even better

Respec

I respec once I reached lvl 85 and got the challenge. For a 330/20 respec, a lvl 70 is enough. If you plan a heavy respec in the future I'd recommand to be 80+ because you will need to spend really a lot of points in elemental resistance.

If you kept your currency during the leveling you should be able to quickly buy

I bought the corrupted aurseize around the level 60 for 15c (I had 2 lucky drops) and the perf shield 8c. I got lucky to drop the goldwyrm (but you can find a 20% for less than 3c). I leveled with those 3 items and a 4L until the level 85.

Once you hit low level maps it is very easy to make currency if you know the chaos recipe (is there anybody who doesn't know it ?). The only rule is DON'T DIE if you're playing in HC.
Chaos Recipe for the new players

Sell a complete set of rare items to the vendor to get 1c

you can sell 2 1h weapons, 1 2h weapon, 1 1h weapon + 1 shield.
If you sell the set non-identified you get 2c.
Only requirement : the iLvl of all the items must be higher or equal than 60 (select an item and write /itemlevel in the chatbox). If one is lower than 60 you will only get an orb of chance.

Since this build is very simple and that you just have to focus on life and resistance, once your resist are capped in merciless you can keep your gear for a very long time and therefore stock your currency. On the way to lvl 85 you should easily make 50-60c (unsifficient but it's a good start).

The real respec starts when you equip 2 andvarius

Now we are getting started ! I bought those ones for 2ex a piece when it was mid-league. Huge IIR but huge drawback too ==> 0 hp and -60% res !

Depending on your current gear, you will have to respec more or less points for resistance in the tree.
At that time my gear was made up of
Spoiler

wand : a random 1c wand

1-2c (I added life myself)

not the one that I actually used but it's a similar one (bought an armour/eva for 2c with +/- 85hp and 100+% res)

self found

self found

Really nothing impressive. I leveled up very easily with 118IIR/19IIQ

Points where you can get resistance in the tree

you can see that the marauder is pretty well surrounded
http://i.imgur.com/FNNpJQO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ye7ITeb.png

Culling Strike or HeartBreaker ?

The choice is up to you.
If you use Heartbreaker (price range was 20c-1ex)

4L : Flame Totem - Item Rarity - GMP/LMP - Faster Projectile
5L : If you have one I'd recommend to use culling strike

If you use Culling Strike, you can buy a weapon with the missing resistance and use less respec points in the tree

4L : Flame Totem - Item Rarity - Culling Strike - GMP or Faster Projectile
5L : Flame Totem - Item Rarity - Culling Strike - GMP and Faster Projectile

Personally, I used a heartbreaker during 2-3 days the time to upgrade my gear

330/19 Gear

11 + 17 + 40 + 79 + 79 + 50 = 276% IIR

Considering a lvl 17/0 Item Rarity : 54%

Investment :
Heartbreaker : 22c
Andvarius : 2+2 = 4ex
Helm : 1-2c + 4c from the workbench
amulet : 0
Chest : 2c
aurseize : 15c
Wheel of the Stormsail : 8c
belt : 0
goldwyrm : 0

Super Total : 4ex and 52c (30c without the optional heartbreaker)

424/65 Gear

Once you gathered some currency it is time to jump to the next step

A very powerful flask that has the drawback to be temporary of course (personally, I think it is a very well designed item).
You probably noticed that I didn't travel to the witch area when some builds do. Well, it is time to do it as well because of the flask nodes.

The "Alchemist nodes" in the witch area multipliy the effects of your pots by 1,3 and especially your divination distillate. If you have a 50/16 flask, it will give you 65/20 in reality.
Since there is no reason not to grab an extra IIR/IIQ from the tree, we will respec a second time, removing mostly dps nodes.

your tree should be close to this now

My gear at that moment (~4400 hp)

The helm I used had 40% IIR with 112,5hp with no res (or a very low one)

Investment :

Scepter : 1,5c + vagan workbench
Helm : 20c
Amulet : 10c
Andvarius : 4ex
Chest : 15c-20c + craft
sadima's touch : 5c (for a perf RRRR)
Perandus Blazon : 1c
Goldwyrm : 0
Divination Distillate : 2ex (+3 divine for craft ~8c at that time)

Super Total : 6ex, 65.5 chaos + craft (workbench, jews/fuse, 3 divine)

You will be wearing ~8ex of gear (+ eventual other gears like the perf aurseize in your stash and old amys/rings/chest that you can sell - keep the aurseize tho)

NB : The price range of some gears, especially the IIR ones, is large. For example, the price range for a 60+% IIR amulet was 10c-2ex. Sometimes you just have to be patient and find the right guy at the right time to buy your gear.

If you follow the game a bit, you cannot have missed

It's the only chest that provides you IIR or IIQ in the game and that chest provides you both ! (until GGG releases a demigod chest race reward).
But the drawback is huge too. No life ! Negative Res (once again)!

That chest can be very hard to equip because resistance nodes are lacking in the tree and the only way to get more resistance is to have resistance on you weapon, helm and/or amulet. And IIR gears with resistance cost an arm (so you'll probably play one-handed from now, which can be added to the "cons").

Hopefully, if you farmed a bit and didn't die. You should have some currency to buy that gear.
For example :

A 5ex helm

25c (implicit was at 18% I used 7 blessed to get 20%)

With those gear and a last effort in the tree allowed me to be res capped using sadima's touch

If you really have a hard time, there is still one solution

+60% to all res !
I know that it gives -20% IIR but if you add 45/13 from the chest it's still +25/13 in the end. Better this than nothing, right ? (this can also be applied when you equip your andvarius for the 1st time)

439/84 or 529/60 ?

This is my current gear (~4100 hp)

Pots :

Currently drawing stats for IIR vs IIQ. See next post for detailed stats.

Rarity : 47 + 59 + 79 + 79 + 49 + 70 = 383

Quantity : 11 + 16 + 8 + 8 + 19 + 22 = 84

Considering a lvl 19/0 Item Rarity : 56%

Investment :

Weapon : 1,5c + craft
Helm : 5ex
Amulet : 25c
Sentari's Answer : 1c
Andvarius : 4ex
Greed's Embrace : 5ex (+ 4 divine to craft)
sadima's touch : 5c
Perandus Blazon : 1c
Goldwyrm : 0
Divination Distillate : 2ex (+ 3 divine to craft)

Aurseize : 15c

Super total : 16ex + 56,5c (+7 divine + jews/fuse to craft)

How To Improve ?

The 1st thing you probably noticed is that I still have a 19/0 Item Rarity ! ==> you can easily get an additional 11% IIR with a 20/20 which makes the 540/60 from the title.

Perf andvarius : 85% IIR (+6% x2)
Perf Greed's Embrace : 50/15 (+ 1/4)
Perf Legacy Perandus Blazon : 12% IIQ (+4 %)
Perf Legacy Goldwyrm : 30% IIQ (+10%)
Perf Divination Distillate : 60/18 (+ 8/1)
Perf Legacy Divination Distillate : 60/25 (+ 8/10)

Perf gears are already expensive so prepare to sell your other arm for a legacy one

Getting a Greed's Embrace 6L.
With a 6L I'd probably run a lvl 21 Blood Magic so I can remove the Blood Magic keystone and use some auras to get my resistances more easily. Or maybe dps... will see the day I've got one.

Detailed links

Movement :

Walking is for sissies. Anyway, with -23/-18% move speed, you'd better use a leap slam or a lightning warp to move

Defense :

A classical defensive set up (it saved me a OS from Na'em in map !)

A 2nd CWDT for even more defense : decoys, walls, more armour (currently only wearing cwdt + skeletons)

Set up to lose life :

I keep the BM gem lvl 1 for a high multiplier (note : elem weakness is better in party)

Flame totem :

With a 6L I would probably add a BM gem, remove the BM keystone and put some elem auras.

Bonus :

Another decoy that can be helpful, especially in map

I only use it to open strongbox (just press your anti-freeze pot, open the box and vanish immediately ==> boxes become 100% safe)

Other slots can be used to level up gems or to prepare a respec.

Defensive and offensive stats

How to use Divination Distillate

There are different techniques : you can lose life or mana.
Since this build uses the Blood Magic keystone you will just have to focus on the life. If you are using mana, a common technique is

and ask to people to turn off their clarity aura.

To lose life there are a few possibilities :

or use skills to lose life at the appropriate time. This is what I do.

I have a 4L on the helm : Flammability - Increased AoE - Increased Duration - Blood Magic lvl 1
The Blood Magic gem gives a 245% multiplier on flammability. In such a configuration each flammability costs 302hp (~ 7% hp).
The purpose of flammability (elem weakness better in party I'm just too lazy to change) is not really to curse ennemies but just to lose life. Just try to curse in the wind in order to let your party members' curses on the ennemies.

Advantages of this technique :

- it doesn't rely on pots
- it allows your party members to run clarity and vitality
- you control exactly how much life you're losing and when

Disadvantage :

- Except the fact that you curse in the wind and sometimes overwrite the curses of your party members, there's no real disadvantage

Farming Dom and Mapping

One of the reason of the dual totem's popularity is that it's a very safe gameplay. Just throw your totems and hide behind your party members !

For Dominus, I usually place a totem near Imperator Stantinus Bitterblade (ice cylcone) and between Draconarius Wilhelm Flamebrand and Compulsor Octavia Sparkfist and use divination distillate 0,5s just before the fight starts. I maintain myself around 80-90% hp with the flammability curse.

The most dangerous part of the fight is when Alal the Terrifying pops out. This guy hurts a bit (can do up to 1k dmg) so if you feel uneasy just hide and wait the dominus pop.

Once you're getting used, you will want to try to cull every trash demons. The drop rate is not negligeable and, except the 1st one, the 2 other demons really don't do a lot of dmg. You'll learn by experience the best place to place your totems.

Dominus P1 : nothing to see, your culling doesn't work

Dominus P2 : Depending on the dps of your party you will have to refresh + or - often your totems. In an average party, you will have to refresh your totems when Dom is mid-life and use divination + remove bleed + granite around 20-25% (around the "Do" of "Dominus Ascendant"). If you miscalculated, it doesn't matter, just refresh divination when 1s is left and keep maintaining your life around 90% with flammability.

Farming is very easy, just the timing to use divination can be a bit tricky in the 1st runs.

Mapping is also very possible in party (as long as the dps is okay). I did a couple of plateau when I was in the 424/65 mode (~4400 hp) and I've never been in danger once. I generally ran pack size maps with no extra damage but I also did a couple of 100+% quantity lvl 74 (with elem weakness/vulnerability/chain/enfeeble/etc. ) without any problem.
Since the gameplay is very simple you can just throw your totems and stay behind everybody and thus take no damage.
However, I never ran other maps than Maelstrom of Chaos since the 1.3.1 is out.

If you're playing in a HC league, be very careful while mapping. You only have 4000-4500hp with no dmg mitigation. Life can go away very fast if you're desynced or disconnected. Personally, Na'em would have OS me if I hadn't the cast when damage combo.

Mapping v2.0 (10th March update)

Here's a decent setup that allows you both to farm dominus and map solo.

500/79 gear

Without the legacy race version (yes, in bloodlines !) you still reach 500/65 which is still pretty good.
Ideally you may want 2 green sockets for Faster Projectile + GMP so you can swap Faster Proj for culling strike whenever you are in party or running Dominus (or else you have to swap GMP)

Tree + gear give me 4348hp and 1798,6 tooltip dps which is way enough to farm safely low and mid-level maps

Gems to prepare

Lvl 1 gems :

Lvl 4 gems :

Lvl 10 gems :

Lvl 12 gems :

Lvl 19 gems :

Lvl 24 gems :

Lvl 31 gems :

Questions and Answers

"
Kaktuskiller wrote:
You wrote respec in one Spoiler but what to respec and when?

When : In Bloodlines I respec once I hit 85 because it was for the challenge. If you just want a 330/20 gear, a lvl 70 is enough and you can stop leveling to just focus on Dominus farm.
If you really want to put everything to reach 540/60, I'd recommand to be at least lv 80+.
If you check my current tree
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEABAcEswY5BqAOPA5cEMwUIBRxFSAWbxkuGjgaPhznHwIi4iSLJy8n7SoTKk0rtiynMtE1kjbFOuE8LT0PPfw_J0VHRX5H4krESshMs0z_TeNPfVFgVcZXDVhjWOVaK18_ZIRmnmjyah5q-m6qdqx4aYBWggeCm4Lkg9uKr4xGjM-QEZBVmjuiAKPypDmnCKeUrY2vbLXytz64k8AawGbE9sauxtjPftCB0iHYJNi92WHZfN-_4XPjauw47w7wH_Iv8kHyRfZI9q74k_m9-tL-Cv6P

I have 8 dps nodes remaining (lvl 86) and most of them are cast speed for totems.

What : Mostly dps, keeping only life, res and totem dmg mitigation.
I removed 1st elem dmg nodes at the start of the templar, then the "arsonist node" near the marauder, then "Ligh of Divinity" (at the left of the AoE dmg nodes in the templar) then the celestial node,etc.
There are also 2 +30 dex/int that can be removed easily once you equip andvarius/perandus blazon and go in the witch area

"
Kaktuskiller wrote:
you use BM for leveling until 31 only?

I use the BM keystone since level 18. I never had any hp nor resistance problem.
Last edited by neoatomium on Mar 23, 2015, 5:33:26 PM
Special Thanks to all the stats contributors

Spoiler

Serypper, _DolphinBoy_, ZeroFTC, Iaintyourfriend, TrippelDildoMadness, MaramoaPatuaFury, areyousrsderp, ViperThunder, _BastardSonOfThor_, Etti, SuperNoobPlayingHc, CytoplasmBow, BurningBitches, LetsSeeIfThisWorksIYI, Jo_Marauder_Of_Blade, NoMorePlayingBouracho, Bumbalump, romesha, ZanaDailyRektOMG, ViolentProliferation, SuchMaceMuchWow_BL, Thereallorax, LOOTRIPPER, Rt_z, Lostabet, Praedicis, ___pit___, Drockstone, summosumo

Stats based on what have been reported just on dominus (not including trash drops)

439/84 in 6 men party

Runs : 141
Uniques counter : 188 (Kaom's Heart, Windripper)
Avg drop : 1,33
0 unique : 34 (24,11%)
1 unique : 44 (31,21%)
2 uniques : 46 (32,62%)
3 uniques : 16 (11,35%)
4 uniques : 1 (0,71%)

529/60 in 6 men party

Runs : 38
Uniques counter : 44 (Mjolner)
Avg drop : 1,16
0 unique : 12 (31,58%)
1 unique : 13 (34,21%)
2 uniques : 9 (23,68%)
3 uniques : 3 (7,89%)
4 uniques : 1 (2,63%)

455/103 in 6 men party (with race legacy gear)

Runs : 160
Uniques counter : 269
Avg drop : 1,68
0 unique : 28 (17,50%)
1 unique : 47 (29,38%)
2 uniques : 48 (30%)
3 uniques : 24 (15%)
4 uniques : 11 (6,88%)
5 uniques : 2 (1,25%)

455/95 solo (with race legacy gear)

Runs : 86
Uniques dropped on Dominus : 48 (0,5581 /run)
Total Uniques drop : 61 (0,7093 / run)

(in case you're wondering how you get legacy gear in challenge leagues ==> there's always people hiding good things in their tabs for years)

1h of solo Dominus
Last edited by neoatomium on Mar 23, 2015, 5:35:29 PM
Don't hesitate to send me suggestions if you think something's missing in the guide.
stats added in 2nd post
Got some questions here:
- You wrote respec in one Spoiler but what to respec and when?
- you use BM for leveling until 31 only?

please make a section for all gem links you have like helmet, chest, etc. to make it more clear. Also a gameplay Video would be great.
A gameplay video is on my to-do list
at what lvl do you start to stack magic find
"
at what lvl do you start to stack magic find

Don't remember exactly. I think it was just before I started docks farming in merciless.
At that time I bought Aurseize, Wheel of the Stormsail and equipped the Goldwyrm I dropped while leveling.

I was lvl 85 when I totally respec full MF

(I'll upload some Dom runs soon)
Last edited by neoatomium on Feb 10, 2015, 6:56:12 AM
uploaded a simple shipyard map run in 3 men party (529/60)
Grosbuild :)
(🌸°__°)
Mirror service thread: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1743892

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info